Menu

And ANOTHER Dang Layoff

Laurel-in-CA

This job lasted a year and a half, layoff due to reorganization; at least this time the employer said they did recognize dh's effort and commitment and provide a bit of a severance package. The last job lasted 9 months, a layoff in name only, really not a good job fit for dh and a bit of a relief. Before that, 9 months of unemployment during lockdown. That's such a long time to spend job hunting!!

This makes, I think, at least 10 layoffs dh has had in the course of his career. We are SOOOO close to his being able to retire. Youngest has 2 more years of college. I can sign up for social security now and get full benefits but dh has to work at least another year. My p/t work from home has been really intermittent and I guess I am going to have to really up the job seeking now. DH will start looking on Monday, but this is NOT a cheap place to live so we're praying for job opportunities ASAP!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 38

On 6/16/2023 at 1:39 PM, wintermom said:

Oh, man. That's so frustrating and scary. I hope something comes up really quick for him. What sector does he work in? Some sectors seem to have particularly high rates of staff turn-over.

He's an expert on specialized connectors and cables that carry data. Recently working with companies like Boeing, SpaceX, etc. Aerospace, satellite, and medical technology applications. "niche skills" indeed.

• Like 3

One thing I can say, this is SOOOOOO much better than looking for work in 2020!!! Then it was not a single callback for the 1st 5 mo of lockdown. Now two recruiters have called within days of him reactivating his linkedin account and updating his resume. Screening interview tomorrow, but who knows whether that will lead to anything or not???

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

He's an expert on specialized connectors and cables that carry data. Recently working with companies like Boeing, SpaceX, etc. Aerospace, satellite, and medical technology applications. "niche skills" indeed.

Cool! Can he branch into cable inspection, training, project management or something like that to broaden his net to cast for job opportunities? Maybe he's already done that, but I know that in other skilled trades, the more experienced workers can explore other related jobs within similar sectors. 

All the best, and I hope he's able to find something really soon!

Yes, honestly this reminds me of my dad who was a niche computer programmer in the 90's when he was in his late 50's and early 60's.  He would get work for a year and then get laid off or get a contract job for 9 months.  Part of it was his age and part of it was his niche...  It is more common than you think.  Not sure that is comforting, but you are not alone. 

On 6/19/2023 at 4:40 PM, wintermom said:

Cool! Can he branch into cable inspection, training, project management or something like that to broaden his net to cast for job opportunities? Maybe he's already done that, but I know that in other skilled trades, the more experienced workers can explore other related jobs within similar sectors. 

All the best, and I hope he's able to find something really soon!

Someone presented a possibility of auditing companies for a particular certification. He thinks he can do that (is going to apply) but it's payment per day on the road, not a salaried position. Doesn't sound like it would be a reliable source of income. 8-(

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

One thing I can say, this is SOOOOOO much better than looking for work in 2020!!! Then it was not a single callback for the 1st 5 mo of lockdown. Now two recruiters have called within days of him reactivating his linkedin account and updating his resume. Screening interview tomorrow, but who knows whether that will lead to anything or not???

Today's pro tip: that LinkedIn account should always be active. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katilac said:

Today's pro tip: that LinkedIn account should always be active. 

Yup, and take interviews even when completely content with your job. It gives you practice and you get a good sense of changing market conditions. Yearly pay increases will almost never match the salary increases you see through promotions or changing companies.

• Like 1

At least a couple of employer interviews planned this week. Recruiters keep calling. We are hopeful. Still waiting for that severance check, which should hold us until unemployment starts coming. Lots of balls to keep in the air.

The most challenging so far is that the 20yo has had to get her own medical insurance, as dh and I will both be on medicare, and it's based on our combined income since she is still a dependent....it will be about what it cost us as a family last time through covered CA. Big shock to her system!!

Pro tip: a good insurance broker who can calmly explain all the options is your friend!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

The most challenging so far is that the 20yo has had to get her own medical insurance, as dh and I will both be on medicare, and it's based on our combined income since she is still a dependent....it will be about what it cost us as a family last time through covered CA. Big shock to her system!!

Does she need to be a dependent for some reason?  We typically don't claim our kids as dependents . ( Now obviously, their colleges considered them as such.)  But our daughter files on her own and gets the tax credit as well since we don't claim her.  If she needed to get health insurance it would be a lot cheaper.  Now maybe is better because of your taxes, I don't know.  But might be something to look into. 

On 6/26/2023 at 4:38 PM, TexasProud said:

Does she need to be a dependent for some reason?  We typically don't claim our kids as dependents . ( Now obviously, their colleges considered them as such.)  But our daughter files on her own and gets the tax credit as well since we don't claim her.  If she needed to get health insurance it would be a lot cheaper.  Now maybe is better because of your taxes, I don't know.  But might be something to look into. 

She's been a dependent because she's a f/t student living @ home and on our insurance, working only p/t. But this may be the year for her to stop being a dependent, that's for sure.

28 minutes ago, Laurel-in-CA said:

She's been a dependent because she's a f/t student living @ home and on our insurance, working only p/t. But this may be the year for her to stop being a dependent, that's for sure.

She doesn't HAVE to be a dependent with those.  Our daughter is a full time student and is on all of our insurance.  She has a tiny job at a coffee shop. She doesn't have time as a musical theater major to work much.  She has worked a job at an ice cream shop the last two summers.   We have not claimed her as a dependent on our taxes since she left for college.  She gets a big education tax credit back each year.  This year she got a 700 dollar check.  

Anyway, you might benefit by taking her as a dependent on your taxes.  I don't know your finances. We got no benefit by listing her as a dependent.  So we didn't.  So you do not HAVE to list her as a dependent.  

On 6/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, TexasProud said:

She doesn't HAVE to be a dependent with those.  Our daughter is a full time student and is on all of our insurance.  She has a tiny job at a coffee shop. She doesn't have time as a musical theater major to work much.  She has worked a job at an ice cream shop the last two summers.   We have not claimed her as a dependent on our taxes since she left for college.  She gets a big education tax credit back each year.  This year she got a 700 dollar check.  

Anyway, you might benefit by taking her as a dependent on your taxes.  I don't know your finances. We got no benefit by listing her as a dependent.  So we didn't.  So you do not HAVE to list her as a dependent.  

I think she's going to give the insurance agent a call and see what recalculating her as head of household would do to the $$. Thanks for the suggestion.