Menu

Sometimes the next generation brings me great hope......and then other times......I am not so sure!

DawnM

I had to call my son's college to find out why we were getting charged for the full Fall tuition in JUNE!   

Anyway, I got a hold of a young lady who was lovely and sweet.   She said, "I can't give you any information on your son's account unless you know the FERPA passcode."   I said, "Oh, I didn't know we set one up, but if we did, it would probably be Forty-Seven, Fifty-Two"

She said, "oh, I am sorry, that isn't it, can you get your son on the phone?

I 3 way called my son who verbally told her it was fine to give me the financial stuff.   She replies, "Ok, thank you, so, I can now tell you the pin.   It is Four Seven Five Two."

UMMMMM.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 37

I will say that I have noticed in working with "the younger generation" (this particular young adult is around 20) that there is a lack of either knowledge/skill (despite being taught the thing over and over) OR confidence, as well as initiative.  This youth has to be told every single thing to do in detail, and s/he is not new at the job. S/he needs many reminders and reassurances about whatever the task is, which makes the direct supervisor frustrated to the point of just doing the thing him/herself. 

I'm not sure if it's a generational thing or a personality thing, but it's definitely A Thing. 

• Like 5

My guess is that’s their standard line for non-account holders and they didn’t expect you to know it. I run into issues with some places when I’m managing various accounts in dh’s name.

As far as the charges, I was billed as soon as I was registered for fall classes in May. My bill isn’t due until closer to the semester start though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My guess is that’s their standard line for non-account holders and they didn’t expect you to know it. I run into issues with some places when I’m managing various accounts in dh’s name.

As far as the charges, I was billed as soon as I was registered for fall classes in May. My bill isn’t due until closer to the semester start though.

I got a call on Tuesday telling me that I had to pay the entire Fall semester by the end of that business day to avoid a $150 late fee.   It is over $7k.   And of course the call came at 4:30pm and I didn't hear it until well after 5pm.

I was calling yesterday to verify that that info was indeed correct and she confirmed it was.

So, I have to pay that now.   It is due.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, TheReader said:

That's crazy it's due so early! Do they offer payment plans? Most of our boys' colleges have done so, and as long as you enroll in the payment plan by the date, you are all good. 

Yes, but I can't seem to figure it out online, I am going to have to call.   Hopefully I get someone who has answers.

4 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

That’s crazy! (IMO)

I know!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

She should have Absolutely been able to translate that, but honestly giving numbers like that is a pet peeve of mine. I work in pharmacy and people will try to give us numbers in so many ways .. it makes it hard to know if it is forty, seven, fifty, two (40, 7, 50, 2) or 47,52. Or 40,7, 52 or 47,  50, 2. If she was just typing the numbers and heard wrong, she might have not even noticed. It is obvious to the person giving the numbers what they meant, but not receiver. It is much clearer to give 4,7,5,2. She should have clarified but sometimes it is just rote to type it literally as you hear it, which can be wrong. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, DawnM said:

I got a call on Tuesday telling me that I had to pay the entire Fall semester by the end of that business day to avoid a $150 late fee.   It is over $7k.   And of course the call came at 4:30pm and I didn't hear it until well after 5pm.

I was calling yesterday to verify that that info was indeed correct and she confirmed it was.

So, I have to pay that now.   It is due.

I'm seeing other colleges do this. I find it concerning. We just paid our last tuition (summer 23!) as child is graduating, but the payments have always been due the Friday before classes start. A couple of years ago, they started giving a 2 week grace period as well. That might have been because their local school scholarships were posting late for some reason, so most of us just paid our portion vs. the total. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tap said:

She should have Absolutely been able to translate that, but honestly giving numbers like that is a pet peeve of mine. I work in pharmacy and people will try to give us numbers in so many ways .. it makes it hard to know if it is forty, seven, fifty, two (40, 7, 50, 2) or 47,52. Or 40,7, 52 or 47,  50, 2. If she was just typing the numbers and heard wrong, she might have not even noticed. It is obvious to the person giving the numbers what they meant, but not receiver. It is much clearer to give 4,7,5,2. She should have clarified but sometimes it is just rote to type it literally as you hear it, which can be wrong. 

It could also be a disability.  I don't know what it is and never have had it checked out but both dd and I cannot translate verbal numbers into written numbers.  I remember my first job as a teen involved answering phones and having to take down information like phone numbers and addresses.  I really struggled to hear a number on the phone and write it down.  I would have to ask people to slow down and repeat and even then would often mix up the order of the numbers or miss some.  I don't have that problem with letters and neither does dd.  It is such an odd thing.  We have no problem if the number is in written form, like on a board during a class lecture, for instance.  And we both can hear a number with meaning and translate, such as someone verbalizing that we have 312 chickens (or whatever).  But purely verbal number with no meaning (like a PIN)?  Nope.  It is actually a real problem in my current job and I have hacks in place to assist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I hope my DD’s college doesn’t make tuition due at the beginning of the summer.  She works all summer to pay for school right before she moves in mid-August.

I just double checked for the college DS18 is going to. It says the statement of account for Fall would only be posted in mid August and payment due by 3pm on Sept. 15, 2023. You could probably check what the payment deadlines are for each term online on her college website. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skimomma said:

It could also be a disability.  I don't know what it is and never have had it checked out but both dd and I cannot translate verbal numbers into written numbers.  I remember my first job as a teen involved answering phones and having to take down information like phone numbers and addresses.  I really struggled to hear a number on the phone and write it down.  I would have to ask people to slow down and repeat and even then would often mix up the order of the numbers or miss some.  I don't have that problem with letters and neither does dd.  It is such an odd thing.  We have no problem if the number is in written form, like on a board during a class lecture, for instance.  And we both can hear a number with meaning and translate, such as someone verbalizing that we have 312 chickens (or whatever).  But purely verbal number with no meaning (like a PIN)?  Nope.  It is actually a real problem in my current job and I have hacks in place to assist.

I get lost when people use military words for letters. Especially when they just jump in to the words instead of saying the name fist. Ill ask their last name and they say “foxtrot, oscar, xray” my brain is having to remember the words, translate into letters, and then remember what order they went in. If they at least say the name first, I can manage….. if they don’t….. they will be repeating themselves over until I get it. 

• Like 5

On 6/8/2023 at 4:28 AM, Kidlit said:

I will say that I have noticed in working with "the younger generation" (this particular young adult is around 20) that there is a lack of either knowledge/skill (despite being taught the thing over and over) OR confidence, as well as initiative.  This youth has to be told every single thing to do in detail, and s/he is not new at the job. S/he needs many reminders and reassurances about whatever the task is, which makes the direct supervisor frustrated to the point of just doing the thing him/herself. 

I'm not sure if it's a generational thing or a personality thing, but it's definitely A Thing. 

Maybe a combo?

It seems to be a common complaint for this age group. My 19 year old is similar (and it's getting darn frustrating).

My 16 year old seems to be quite the opposite, though. So I don't think it's totally generational, or caused by our parenting choices. 

11 hours ago, Tap said:

I get lost when people use military words for letters. Especially when they just jump in to the words instead of saying the name fist. Ill ask their last name and they say “foxtrot, oscar, xray” my brain is having to remember the words, translate into letters, and then remember what order they went in. If they at least say the name first, I can manage….. if they don’t….. they will be repeating themselves over until I get it. 

I only ever use them to clarify soundalike letters such as B vs. V, and even then, I'm more likely to use whatever word pops into my mind rather than the standard phonetic alphabet. I even have it memorized - as a child we had placemats with the phonetic alphabet, and I spent a lot of mealtimes reading it, and have my own little alphabet song for them. I just don't think to use them when it is actually relevant.

Edited by ocelotmom
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I hope my DD’s college doesn’t make tuition due at the beginning of the summer.  She works all summer to pay for school right before she moves in mid-August.

My son too.  I think he’ll have what he needs for the first semester by end of June, but not before that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tap said:

When my mom was in the hospital I asked a nurse where room # whatever and he said “turn 180 degrees”.  Now I *know* what that means, but I was in an emotional state and it did not compute.  When I asked him what that meant he just repeated it, “turn 180 degrees” and I still didn’t get it.  Luckily my dad called my name so I was able to figure it out. “Oh, behind me”.    I still can’t decide if I’m just a dummy or if my brain not working in that moment was reasonable.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ocelotmom said:

Maybe a combo?

It seems to be a common complaint for this age group. My 19 year old is similar (and it's getting darn frustrating).

My 16 year old seems to be quite the opposite, though. So I don't think it's totally generational, or caused by our parenting choices. 

I only ever use them to clarify soundalike letters such as B vs. V, and even then, I'm more likely to use whatever word pops into my mind rather than the standard phonetic alphabet. I even have it memorized - as a child we had placemats with the phonetic alphabet, and I spent a lot of mealtimes reading it, and have my own little alphabet song for them. I just don't think to use them when it is actually relevant.

I do the same. My last name is not European in origin, and is not phonetic by English standards and there are two letters in it that sound very similar to another letter (like B,V) so I will clarify those two letters but use what’s pops into my head when clarifying. No one seems to have a problem with it. 

My dh has a name that sounds similar to a European name but with a different starting letter (like Dary instead of Gary). So I introduce him by saying “like Gary but with a D”. Otherwise it’s one of those “Gary?  No, Dary.  Barry?  No, Dary” things. 

But what has surprised me is that lately I have had to clarify “Jean”. So I say, “Jean, like the pants.” And people remember my name. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

I still can’t decide if I’m just a dummy or if my brain not working in that moment was reasonable.  

The usage of “turn 180 degrees” is rare in my social circles except among engineers and even then its uncommon. My mom was a nurse and I visited hospitals more often than I wanted to, more likely a staff would point the direction and tell me to “turn around” or “head back where you were coming from”. Some would even walk me to the room. Among my friends, we would jokingly say “make a U turn”. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I do the same. My last name is not European in origin, and is not phonetic by English standards and there are two letters in it that sound very similar to another letter (like B,V) so I will clarify those two letters but use what’s pops into my head when clarifying. No one seems to have a problem with it. 

My dh has a name that sounds similar to a European name but with a different starting letter (like Dary instead of Gary). So I introduce him by saying “like Gary but with a D”. Otherwise it’s one of those “Gary?  No, Dary.  Barry?  No, Dary” things. 

But what has surprised me is that lately I have had to clarify “Jean”. So I say, “Jean, like the pants.” And people remember my name. 

My last name has a combo of consonants not normally seen in English, including two that sound similar to other letters. I spell it out phonetically every single time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

When my mom was in the hospital I asked a nurse where room # whatever and he said “turn 180 degrees”.  Now I *know* what that means, but I was in an emotional state and it did not compute.  When I asked him what that meant he just repeated it, “turn 180 degrees” and I still didn’t get it.  Luckily my dad called my name so I was able to figure it out. “Oh, behind me”.    I still can’t decide if I’m just a dummy or if my brain not working in that moment was reasonable.  

Your brain not working was reasonable. Stress does that.

However, the nurse using that phrase, twice, was UNreasonable. It's not a standard way to give directions to a pedestrian in a hallway, ever. So to repeat it when it was not understood the first time is just a jerk-move. Behind you, turn around, you just passed it, or even pointing and grunting would have been more "normal" (and easily understood).

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

However, the nurse using that phrase, twice, was UNreasonable. It's not a standard way to give directions to a pedestrian in a hallway, ever. So to repeat it when it was not understood the first time is just a jerk-move. Behind you, turn around, you just passed it, or even pointing and grunting would have been more "normal" (and easily understood).

Agreed. The person giving the 180 degree direction was the type that thinks they are being clever and smart and they are really being a jackass. 

• Like 5

On 6/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, Tap said:

Dh gives numbers that way and it's one of those things irritate me even though I know I shouldn't let it bother me. I wonder though if it has to do with him working for a military contractor for 40 years. It seems his co-workers and the Air Force people they worked with all did it.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 6:31 AM, DawnM said:

I had to call my son's college to find out why we were getting charged for the full Fall tuition in JUNE!   

Anyway, I got a hold of a young lady who was lovely and sweet.   She said, "I can't give you any information on your son's account unless you know the FERPA passcode."   I said, "Oh, I didn't know we set one up, but if we did, it would probably be Forty-Seven, Fifty-Two"

She said, "oh, I am sorry, that isn't it, can you get your son on the phone?

I 3 way called my son who verbally told her it was fine to give me the financial stuff.   She replies, "Ok, thank you, so, I can now tell you the pin.   It is Four Seven Five Two."

UMMMMM.........

Egads! Epic fail. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:
4 hours ago, fraidycat said:

Agreed. The person giving the 180 degree direction was the type that thinks they are being clever and smart and they are really being a jackass.

I have to work on this with my husband sometimes. It's like you might be right, and more accurate in your statement, but seriously if the receiving party of your communications is not understanding try a different way. He's working on it but his first internal response is still "Argh why don't they get it!"

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ocelotmom said:

(Snip)

This makes 100% sense as long as a person says the name first!! And it is used to clarify !!!!  When people just jump in and start spewing a string of words….it ends up being nonsense to me

• Like 1