Menu

Mayonnaise with French Fries

mom31257

Mayonnaise with French Fries  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Do you or any of your family members eat mayo as the condiment with French fries?

• Yes, usually
    • Yes, sometimes
    • No, tried it and don't like it
    • No, but never tried it
    • Other, please explain

7 hours ago, wathe said:

Total tangent on the salty-with-chocolate theme:

The scouts in my group have developed a taste for hotdog-water hot-chocolate.  A recipe born from efficiency on the trail:  boil hotdogs (because they can cook lots at once this way), then use the water to make hot-chocolate (from powder mix), so as not to waste water, and also not have to wait to boil fresh water.  Sounds absolutely disgusting, right?  But it's actually pretty good.  The salt and oil from the hotdogs adds a certain umami and mouth feel to the hot chocolate that's really good! And it doesn't tast like hotdogs at all.

Oh. My. Gosh. This sounds like something I have to start as a grandma thing.  Holy, moly!

• Like 1

Several people have mentioned mixing ketchup and mayo. When I was growing up, when we ate fish (i.e., fried fish), we would make a sauce of mayo, ketchup, and a dash of both lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. I still do that, and it is good on fries or sliced and baked potatoes as well. Or as a salad dressing as an easy-to-make 1000 Island substitute. But to me, it has a very different taste than mayo with fries.

It is interesting that OP asked this, because in the 40+ years since my college friend taught me about the mayo/fries combo, I have never seen or heard of anyone eating them that way--until a few months ago, we were camping with some friends, and they were talking about it and how they like it that way. The hubby is from somewhere in Northern Europe and the wife grew up overseas (from the US), so maybe they were brought up with that custom.

• Like 1

I don't do plain mayo on fries, but mayo based sauces like Zaxby's or Guthrie's sauce (chicken fingers) is amazing on fries.

And I make a burger sauce that is a mix of mayo, sour cream, a little garlic...that's good on fries.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 8:12 PM, fraidycat said:

chocolate Frosty is for Wendy's fries. 😁

This is how we ate them growing up.  The nearest Wendy's to me now is 2+ hours away but once in a blue moon, I get fries and frosty when traveling.  I have spent WAY too much time thinking about this, but I have a theory as to why this is a thing.  That mini-frosty that came with the kid meal melted FAST and if your parents were anything like mine, I was required to eat the "actual food" before eating the frosty.  Setting aside the very real debate of which is more "actual food," the frosty, the fries, or the burger, that frosty sat melting while we tried to cram the burger and fries down.  Soon melted frosty was oozing down the side of the cup, which is a TRAGEDY.  So, we'd frantically (and stealthily) scoop up the melting frosty top with our fries to save it from the puddly fate growing around the base of the cup.  Then developed a nostalgic taste for the combo.  I feel like this is a dissertation-worthy question that someone, somewhere, should resolve!

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

This is how we ate them growing up.  The nearest Wendy's to me now is 2+ hours away but once in a blue moon, I get fries and frosty when traveling.  I have spent WAY too much time thinking about this, but I have a theory as to why this is a thing.  That mini-frosty that came with the kid meal melted FAST and if your parents were anything like mine, I was required to eat the "actual food" before eating the frosty.  Setting aside the very real debate of which is more "actual food," the frosty, the fries, or the burger, that frosty sat melting while we tried to cram the burger and fries down.  Soon melted frosty was oozing down the side of the cup, which is a TRAGEDY.  So, we'd frantically (and stealthily) scoop up the melting frosty top with our fries to save it from the puddly fate growing around the base of the cup.  Then developed a nostalgic taste for the combo.  I feel like this is a dissertation-worthy question that someone, somewhere, should resolve!

I only craved this combination when I had my period.