Menu

Dressing for summertime

Spryte

Depends on what I am doing.

If I hike: long lightweight nylon hiking pants (because sunburn/brush/ticks/cacti) and cotton T-shirt.
If I am in town: cotton/rayon sundresses and skirts. I like long flowing skirts. But I do also have a couple of short stretchy dresses - like the Mountain Hardwear Loess dress - and some knee length skirts god for walking.

I occasionally wear shorts but you sweat more, are exposed to sunburn, and they may not be suitable for the activities.

I have no links since most of my clothes are ancient/from thrift stores.

Edited by regentrude
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Spryte said:

In another thread, people mentioned dressing appropriately for heat and humidity.

Where I am from near to the equator, temperatures tend to be above 90 degF year round and humidity is above 80%. Cotton or linen is great for daily wear. Silk or batik is great for dressier outdoor events, the air conditioner temp for indoors is actually too cold for me. When I go back, I bring my moisture wicking t-shirts (various brands) and summer jeans (thinner material). I lose heat easily to wind chill though so I still need a light windbreaker unless temperatures are hovering above 100degF. 

• Thanks 1

I’m living in skorts these days. I like the coverage, seems more flattering on me these days than shorts. I’m working on my collection of fun graphic t-shirts. I love calf length summer dresses and skirts but dang it’s hard to find dresses and even casual tops with sleeves (my preference for keeping the tops of my shoulders protected from too much sun, too many years of exposure in the past). 

Yoga clothes for the gym. Thick jeans and an old dress shirt of dh’s layered over a tank for woodsy walks. 

Black strapped chacos go with every style and I’m addicted to Hokas for walking. 

I love warm weather clothes. So simple. 

eta quick dry shorts/fishing shirts over swimsuit for boating/SUP. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Where I am from near to the equator, temperatures tend to be above 90 degF year round and humidity is above 80%. Cotton or linen is great for daily wear. Silk or batik is great for dressier outdoor events, the air conditioner temp for indoors is actually too cold for me. When I go back, I bring my moisture wicking t-shirts (various brands) and summer jeans (thinner material). I lose heat easily to wind chill though so I still need a light windbreaker unless temperatures are hovering above 100degF. 

I now have a lovely mental picture of ladies in beautiful batiks on a tropical evening - imagining I’m there! Thanks! 

• Like 1

I've recently become a fan of merino/merino blend clothing. The brand I like is Wool& - my favorite is the Audrey dress (maxi-length, sleeveless). I can layer some of their t-shirts over it, and still be comfortable even in TX heat/humidity (only b/c I am not comfortable sleeveless). They have other options too, but that's become my "go to" for all seasons - so far it's working great for summer (we are already above 90 each day). 

Not cheap, but as I can wear it every day and only need to wash every so many days (I wore one for their 100 Day challenge and easily only had to wash it every 10th to 14th day or so), I don't need more than one or two. 

• Thanks 2

Around the house and neighborhood I wear athletic shorts and a shirt. If I go out to run a quick errand I’ll change into longish shorts. If I’m doing appointments and such, I’ll wear longish shorts, a skort  with a  blouse or polo shirt or I’ll throw a light summer dress on. Evening out to the movies or whatever would be white jeans and a short sleeve or sleeveless blouse. I keep a white cardigan in the car for when I’m going into air conditioning. 

• Like 1

I love the Wool& dresses also!! I wear the Camellia (swing tank dress) in super hot and humid but shaded weather. I cover my shoulders if I am in sunny weather. Wool moderates weather extremes so well and it doesn’t stink if you sweat due to its antimicrobial properties. I’ve been working my way through different brands for t-shirts and trousers, and haven’t settled on a favorite yet.

I try to keep my skin covered if I am going somewhere super sunny. It seems counterintuitive, but I do stay much cooler. I also avoid cotton if I know I am likely to sweat heavily. It is so uncomfortable having damp clothes stuck to your skin. I stick to things that dry more quickly. I have a lot of Columbia trousers in my wardrobe and a few of their travel dresses that are UV rated. I have a few Coolibar shirts that are also UV rated.

My skin doesn’t love synthetic fabrics, so I do wear cotton or bamboo a couple of days a week around the house when I can be in the ac. Right now I am in a Latuza brand bamboo lounge set:  https://www.latuza.com/collections/womens-loungewear-and-sleepwear

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I love the Wool& dresses also!! I wear the Camellia (swing tank dress) in super hot and humid but shaded weather. I cover my shoulders if I am in sunny weather. Wool moderates weather extremes so well and it doesn’t stink if you sweat due to its antimicrobial properties. I’ve been working my way through different brands for t-shirts and trousers, and haven’t settled on a favorite yet.

I try to keep my skin covered if I am going somewhere super sunny. It seems counterintuitive, but I do stay much cooler. I also avoid cotton if I know I am likely to sweat heavily. It is so uncomfortable having damp clothes stuck to your skin. I stick to things that dry more quickly. I have a lot of Columbia trousers in my wardrobe and a few of their travel dresses that are UV rated. I have a few Coolibar shirts that are also UV rated.

My skin doesn’t love synthetic fabrics, so I do wear cotton or bamboo a couple of days a week around the house when I can be in the ac. Right now I am in a Latuza brand bamboo lounge set:  https://www.latuza.com/collections/womens-loungewear-and-sleepwear

just wanted to speak to the bolded -- I've switched to wearing my Wool& stuff (leggings & tees) (specifically the Axis cropped leggings & the Stella tee) for fencing & working out, outside, in the Texas heat/humidity (Gulf Coast Texas). I get way less overheated, the sweat evaporates/doesn't stay wet on my body the way DH's sweaty cotton t-shirts hold the damp/wet sweat (or my previous cotton stuff), and I can hang to air out overnight and rewear w/no issues. It really is great stuff! 

And also yes, staying covered ends up cooler than a tank if it's super hot out. I agree with that, too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Thank you for including a link for the bamboo pjs/lounge wear! I don't like my skin to touch when I sleep--especially when it's hot and sticky-- and prefer banded pant ankles so the fabric doesn't ride up my leg while I sleep, but they can be hard to find. Bamboo + tight ankles ftw! Think I'll need to do some online shopping before it gets too hot... 🙂 

• Like 2

I am all ears! The past few years so went from being a person who was nearly always cold, to one that is nearly always very uncomfortably hot. Last week, our daily temps were in the 50's. Today it is 92. I seem to have no coping mechanism for this. As I type, I am sitting on the couch in a beach cover up that is practically see through, nothing else. I look like an Egyptian hieroglyph of Isis or something. It isn't the best attire for running to town or taking a walk! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am running around with kids so my basic look is biker shorts. I also have a few pairs of blue denim shorts and 2 pairs of colorful denim shorts. I dont know if it's stylish but it's comfortable. I also recently bought this pink dress and want it in all colors even though my husband asked me when I'm milking the cows because it's cute and comfortable. 

Screenshot_20230530-175025_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230530-175502_Chrome.jpg

Edited by alysee
  • Like 2

I would never have guessed to wear wool in the summer.  I guess that is because my experience with wool is big wool sweaters.  Interesting.

I do find that loose clothes are cooler.  Skirts and dresses are better than jeans.  I am not a shorts fan for myself, but I will wear them around the house.  

• Like 2

Nothing synthetic because it feels like I'm wrapped in Saran wrap. I made myself a few linen dresses last year (the pattern is called "Hinterland Dress" and is great for beginners, if anyone's interested) and wear those with some black cotton knee-length shorts underneath (lots of squatting in the garden!). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I spend a lot of time outside and I've also found most of the time I stay cooler if I'm covered in the sun. I wear khaki or light colored lightweight jeans. For tops I wear a tank with a thin cotton blouse over it. I keep a t shirt in the car if I need to switch out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mom_to3 said:

Hah, it's that time of year! Thanks for this thread. For those suggesting the latuza bamboo sets, are you referring to the bamboo viscose ones?

I am. It is viscose, but it is oeko-tex (and BCI certified if you choose something from their cotton lines).

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 12:53 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

I am. It is viscose, but it is oeko-tex (and BCI certified if you choose something from their cotton lines).

I got this, wore it for the first time today, and love it. We'll see how it holds up in the humidity/wash as summer goes on. Do appreciate the suggestions!