Menu

Comfort Reads

bookbard

It sounds like a lot of us are under a heap of stress at the moment - I feel like I've just got my head above water (and then something else happens). What comfort reads do you sink into to keep you going?

I have a couple of different series like the Innkeeper series (Ilona Andrews), Vorkosigon series (Lois Bujold), Stray series (Andrea Host), Wayfarer series (Becky Chambers), Katherine Addison's Goblin Emperor series.

What about you?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think of classic children's lit as comfort reads.  Top of that list for me would be Anne of Green Gables, though actually anything by LM Montgomery will work. (I especially love some of her adult novels!)  For adult authors, I'd have to go with Leif Enger and Wendell Berry. 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

I think of classic children's lit as comfort reads.  Top of that list for me would be Anne of Green Gables, though actually anything by LM Montgomery will work. (I especially love some of her adult novels!)  For adult authors, I'd have to go with Leif Enger and Wendell Berry. 

This.

Tied with Anne on my comfort read list would be LOTR and Jane Austen.

Classic children’s books I have reread many times include Narnia, The Wind in the Willows, Pooh, and anything by E. Nesbit. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

We have some overlap, @bookbard. Some of my comfort reads ~

** Touchstone series by Andrea K. Höst

** The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison

** The Alpha and Omega books by Patricia Briggs

** Linesman series by SK Dunstall

** Trader’s Tales from the Golden Age of the Solar Clipper series by Nathan Lowell

** The Others by Anne Bishop

** The Martian by Andy Weir

** Murder in Thrall and sequels by Anne Cleeland

** Sarina Bowen's The Year We Fell Down (The Ivy Years Book 1) and Blonde Date: An Ivy Years Novella 

** Michelle Diener's Dark Horse (Class 5 Series Book 1)

I may post more tomorrow.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

L.M. Montgomery books, J.R.R. Tolkein books (I really love his short reads, like "Farmer Giles of Ham"), Agatha Christie, Gerald Durrell, Farley Mowat (the funny books when I need positive stories, and the sad books when I can handle it).

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

Some additional comfort reads are old Star Trek novels from the original series ~

My favorites (which my daughter loved as a teen and are also some of her comfort reads):

Yesterday's Son and Time for Yesterday both by A.C. Crispin,

Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan

Ishmael by Barbara Hambly

The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar

Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane

These last two are a bit gory ~

Dreams of the Raven by Carmen Carter

and The Pandora Principle by Carolyn Clowes

and from DS9:

Fallen Heroes by Dafydd Ab Hugh

A favorite contemporary romance:

His Road Home by Anna Richland

Another comfort read is Lyn Gala's male/male alien romance series which begins with Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts. Be aware that this has massive adult content.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karen A said:

For me-James Herriot -All Creatures Great and Small and sequels. I like the quirky cast of heartwarming characters and pets of yesteryear.

I forgot about these! I really enjoy them, too. There are a lot of different books in the oritinal series - way more than I realized.

• Like 2

Another vote for The Goblin Emperor (Katherine Addison) as a favorite comfort read. (Thank you @Kareni for posting that recommendation years back on a BaW thread!)

Also:
- The Other Bennet Sister (Janice Hadlow)
- The Queen's Thief series (Megan Whalen Turner)
- The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (Alexander McCall Smith) -- so gentle, so warm; humor, and a positive view of life
- Chet & Bernie mystery series (Spencer Quinn)
- Murderbot series (Martha Wells)
- The Lord of the Rings (JRR Tolkien) -- which is a fully-involved emotional journey, but so inspiring if needing uplift
- Spinning Silver (Naomi Novik)
- The Ides of April; Beyond the Desert Gate (Mary Ray) -- quietly inspiring characters

And for humor: 
- PG Wodehouse -- his humor is so light and effortless -- a light and frothy dessert confection of comfort reading
- "Farmer Giles of Ham", and, The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien)
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; and, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Douglas Adams)

And yes! Agreeing with @ScoutTN and @Kidlit -- good children's books series, or older YA from a gentler time, often with humor, such as:
- The Rescuers, The Turret, Miss Bianca, Miss Bianca and the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Marjorie Sharp)
- 101 Dalmatians (Dodie Smith)
- Half Magic, Magic By the Lake, Knight's Castle, The Time Garden (Edward Eager)
- The Book of Dragons, Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet (E. Nesbit)
- The Princess and the Goblin; The Light Princess (George MacDonald)
- The Great and Terrible Quest (Margaret Lovett)
- The Chronicles of Narnia (CS Lewis)
- Two Are Better Than One (Carol Ryrie Brink)
- Circus Sequins (Elisabeth Hamilton Friermood)

I have several vintage children's anthology sets, and it can be very soothing just picking a volume and reading through it:
- My Book House
- Collier's Junior Classics Young Folks Shelf of Books
- The Children's Hour

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3