Menu

WFPB and protein

Kidlit

I'm interested in WFPB but am really trying to up my protein intake.  I have not researched this but know many boardies eat this way, so I thought I'd ask you all.   Are you conscious of this when you eat, and if you are, how do you manage it?  (Please talk to me like I'm a kindergartener about this because I am.) 

The thing is, plants are all pretty high in protein.  So if you're eating enough calories of whole foods, you're likely going to get enough protein without thinking about it.  Seriously.  But if you're concerned about it, eating 1/2 cup of any beans or legumes per meal will get you there. In theory you could eat as many beans as you want, but I'd be careful suddenly increasing the volume because if you're not used to that much fiber it will take a few weeks for your gut to adjust and make sure toilet habits are regular vs. explosive.  There is some science that suggests eating more protein over the age of 40 is a good idea, though it's probably not as effective at maintaining muscle mass as exercising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am conscious of it, but I don’t know if I do a good enough job of getting enough. A good question to ask is how much protein is really adequate, as this seems debatable. I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as others here, but I try to eat lots of quinoa, buckwheat, and edamame, all compete proteins. It isn’t necessary to make sure everything eaten at once is a complete protein. You don’t have to eat complete proteins at each meal. Beans and brown rice, together, give a more complete protein. Still, it just makes it easier (for me) to eat complete proteins in one sitting. But I don’t stress over that. 

The protein sources I like are edamame, quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, beans, and oats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree that we seem to not really know how much protein we really need, though I've read that with the US diet, we probably get too much. I don't know how to tell if you are getting enough or not. I am not totally plant based but am a life long vegetarian and we've shifted to almost all minimal processed plant based eating at home. I do wonder about the protein sometimes because I don't eat higher sources at every meal, but I figure as long as I feel good (which I do) and as long as I'm eating very little processed food and almost all whole foods, I'm probably okay. Don't know for sure though.

I think a key is little processed food because one can be vegan and still eat lots of junk which would displace protein heavy foods. If I was trying to bulk up or trying for athletic feats, I'd consider adding in eggs again, though I know there are vegan athletes. I can't choke down meat or fish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There’s so much conflicting information out there. Personally, I don’t think people who aren’t overeating or eating a lot of less than ideal foods are getting enough or too much protein.

I’m an omnivore, and I’m not a perfectly healthy eater, but I do usually try to lean high-protein. It’s mostly because I’m trying to increase muscle, and muscle needs more protein to grow than just to maintain. That’s how my brain sees it, at least.

The other way I look at it is, whatever I’m not eating in protein is going to be in fat or carbs. Both are important, but both are much more easily over consumed. (She says after having 1.5 donuts for Ds’s requested birthday treat.) I try to put my focus on protein because I know I’m in no danger of neglecting the other two macronutrients. 🤪

• Thanks 1

@Indigo Blue@livetoread I have protein deficiency and my oncologist monitors that together with my anemia. The obvious sign for me is getting sick easier and recovering slower. Other signs are similar to anemia like tiredness, brittle nails. I have lots of frequent blood tests since childhood so that is one way of documenting. Mine is more of food absorption, for example I have to take iron supplements and protein drinks if I don’t eat meat.  I don’t seems to be able to get my nutrition from soy or soy based foods either. 

OP,

since I have nutrition absorption issues, I do watch what I eat but I do slack. Then I tired easily and my blood test results comes back as not so good.  

• Thanks 2

I have multiple GI issues and cannot follow WFPB like I would prefer. I need more protein and calorie dense foods or I will get really sick. I do best with more than 20g of protein and over 400 calories in the morning. Since I cannot eat a lot, this is difficult to reach.

If you are on Facebook there is a Vegan Body Building and Nutrition group that has tons and tons of resources in the files section. I highly recommend the group for the wealth of knowledge and their unwillingness to accommodate woo and non science based BS. Here is what to look forScreenshot_20230501_093206_Facebook.thumb.jpg.21f61d0274fecabcf953716a815ede50.jpg

• Thanks 1

Remember how DNA codes for proteins? All plants and animals have DNA and make proteins. Most Americans are consuming twice as much protein as recommended, and more is not better than the correct amount for your size. (The RDA is .8 g per kg of your body weight per day.) Plants also have fiber, which most people are not getting enough of.

High-protein plant foods include all beans (including soy, black beans, etc.), lentils, peas, quinoa and other whole grains and pseudograins, almonds and other nuts, sunflower seeds and other seeds, mushrooms, and even some vegetables like Brussels sprouts. These foods are the mainstays of a WFPB diet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I know how much protein is in the food I eat and I try to aim for a certain amount per day. I'm not vegan or vegetarian but my diet is mostly a variety of vegetables and a small amount of fish, usually Alaskan salmon, and also eggs and some dairy. For protein intake (and fasting research), I follow longevity researcher Valter Longo's recommendations. The following link is a short summary of what he recommends. He has also written a book.

https://www.valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet-for-adults/

If you are below the age of 65, keep protein intake low (0.31 to 0.36 grams per pound of body weight). That comes to 40 to 47 grams of proteins per day for a person weighing 130 pounds, and 60 to 70 grams of protein per day for someone weighing 200 to 220 pounds. Over age 65, you should slightly increase protein intake but also increase consumption of fish, eggs, white meat, and products derived from goats and sheep to preserve muscle mass. Consume beans, chickpeas, green peas, and other legumes as your main source of protein.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do not track protein (or any other nutrients). If you eat a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds, you will get the ideal amount of protein that your body needs. There is actually quite a bit of evidence now that Americans consume way too much protein, that lower protein diets are better for long term health, and that plant protein is much healthier than animal protein, which has significant health risks. 

If you are interested in learning more, here are a couple books that are very informative on protein:

Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It by Dr. Garth Davis

https://www.amazon.com/Proteinaholic-Obsession-Meat-Killing-About-ebook/dp/B00KVI4HLO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19XJK40P41WK&keywords=Proteinaholic&qid=1682952737&sprefix=proteinaholic%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1

The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas Campbell II, MD

https://www.amazon.com/China-Study-Comprehensive-Nutrition-Implications-ebook/dp/B01LYGP469/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27RSPXFU02W8B&keywords=China+study&qid=1682952863&sprefix=china+study%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-1

And here’s an article from Dr. Joel Fuhrman about plant protein vs. animal protein, and how much protein we really need (Note: When he refers to a Nutritarian diet, he is referring to a WFPB diet consisting of vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seeds) :

https://www.drfuhrman.com/blog/64/how-plant-protein-wins-over-animal-protein

We are all taught that protein is a super nutrient that will make us lean, strong, and healthy. We do need protein, but more is not necessarily better, and high-protein foods are not always healthful.

Why do we need protein?

In every cell in the human body, the DNA contains a code that tells the cell which proteins to make. Proteins have a lot of different roles in the body, some provide structure like collagen, some facilitate contact or movement, and others act as enzymes, signals, receptors, or transporters. In order to make all of these proteins, we have to consume protein and break it down into its constituent amino acids.

High-protein diets

High-protein foods do tend to be low in glycemic load. This is what the high-protein, low-carb diets get right. They avoid dangerous high-glycemic refined carbohydrates—sugar, white rice, and white flour products. In the process, they also limit dangerous trans fats. It is important to remember though, just like excess carbohydrate and fat calories, if you take in more protein calories than your body can use right away, those calories get stored as fat.

Refined carbohydrates are empty calories that are absorbed quickly, and they lead to overeating. Foods that are higher in protein, fiber, and/or resistant starch provide the satiety factor that is missing in refined carbohydrates and help to prevent blood glucose spikes, so we are not driven to overeat. For some people, high protein diets can be successful for weight loss in the short-term, but because they are so focused on animal foods, they are dangerous in the long-term. Low-carbohydrate/high-protein diets have been linked to increased risk of heart disease, cancer and premature death.1-3

Plant protein vs. animal protein

Although plant protein is often described as “incomplete,” it has been known for many years that all plant foods contain all of the amino acids. Different plant foods may be low in a certain essential amino acid, but as long you are eating a variety of plant foods, you will get adequate amounts—but not too much—of all the essential amino acids.4

Animal protein and plant protein both provide us with adequate amounts of all of the amino acids, but animal protein is more concentrated in complete protein of a high biological value, so the body does not have to wait to utilize it to be combined with amino acids from other foods. Their proteins get absorbed and utilzed quickly, especially the amino acids that raise growth promoting hormones. For these reasons animal protein increases the body’s production of a hormone called IGF-1, which is associated with aging and an increased risk of several different cancers.5-6 One interesting study followed over 85,000 women and 44,000 men for more than 20 years, (26 years in women and 20 years in men) recording over 12,500 deaths. This research team found animal protein-rich diets were associated with a 43% increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease and cancer, compared to diets low in animal protein.7 In addition to animal protein, a diet high in animal products delivers additional harmful, pro-inflammatory, or pro-oxidant substances. Animal foods are higher in arachidonic acid, saturated fat, carnitine and choline, heme iron, substances linked to inflammation, premature aging and other diseases.8-16

How much protein?

The number of grams of protein humans need in a day has been estimated at 0.8 g/kg/day (about 36 grams of protein per 100 pounds of body weight).17 However, it is not important to count the number of grams of protein in the food you eat to make sure you reach this number. If you are eating a variety of foods, it is almost impossible to consume too little protein. For a typical day, a Nutritarian menu of 1700-1800 calories provides approximately 60-70 grams of protein. Green vegetables, seeds, nuts and beans are all relatively rich in protein. The point is that when you eat an anti-cancer diet to promote longevity, you strive to consume more of these low glycemic colorful plants, which contain plenty of protein, to secure adequate amounts even with the increased needs of aging. It is rare that a person needs to eat animal products to get sufficient protein when eating a Nutritarian diet, but even those individuals that require that, can do so with only a small amount, avoiding the dangers of too much animal products. It is these features that lead to the dramatic disease-protective lifespan benefits. Eat Nutritarian, and forget about protein, you will automatically get the right amount; not too much and not too little.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only been WFPB for a few months, and I was concerned with protein intake when I first started, so I tracked my food on an app for a few weeks to make sure I was eating well.

It turns out it is easy for me to get enough protein. A typical day for me is oatmeal with a small amount of chia seeds and hemp seeds and a big pile of fruit.

Lunch is often a salad with beans. For example, today I am making a tostada type salad with blackbeans and a ton of delicious veggies.

For a snack I will have edamame or a smoothie with some almond or peanut butter, spinach, almond milk, and cacao.

Dinner tonight will be a baked potato, steamed veggies and some tofu cooked in the airfryer (so yummy!)

I want to stress two things about eating this way that have really surprised me. One is that I am very satiated. I find it to be the most satisfying way to eat as far as meeting my hunger (and nutrient) needs. I have always had a big apitite and WFPB allows me to eat a lot without over eating calories. The other is that once I got the hang of it, it's really not hard. People often comment how much effort it takes to source and prepare food, but I have not found it to particularly difficult. I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything or spending too much time. Most importantly, I feel great.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A really easy way to add plant-based protein is to just add half a cup of beans and/or a couple tablespoons of seeds or nutritional yeast to each meal.

Breakfast for me is usually oats (with soy milk, chia seeds, and berries), tofu scramble with nutritional yeast and lots of vegetables, or a green smoothie (with soy milk and chia and flax seeds).

Lunch is almost always a giant salad with some kind of beans, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, and pumpkin seeds. The base is usually mixed greens, broccoli slaw, microgreens, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, hemp and pumpkin seeds, and nutritional yeast, and then I might add black beans, roasted corn, and avocado with vegan ranch dressing, or chickpeas, marinated artichokes, and pine nuts with balsamic vinaigrette. Sometimes I do an Asian style salad with shredded red & green cabbage, shredded carrots, broccoli slaw, microgreens, julienned red peppers, edamame, mandarin oranges, and peanut dressing.

Dinner is usually some combo of grains, legumes, and vegetables: curried vegetables, greens, and chickpeas with brown basmati; brown rice & quinoa pasta with vegetables & cannellini beans in a cashew-based cream sauce; buddha bowl of quinoa, roasted vegetables, greens, and beans with lemon-tahini sauce; stir-fried veg and crispy tofu with brown rice or soba noodles; lentil vegetable soup with whole grain sourdough bread, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are a couple of sample days in Cronometer. Both are around 1700 calories; the first has 66 g of protein and 51 g of fiber and the 2nd has 78 g of protein and 60 g of fiber. In some ways I think it's more important, or at least more useful, to track fiber when someone starts eating a WFPB diet, because it generally involves a LOT more fiber than most people are used to, and it's important to increase that gradually so the microbiome can catch up. Someone who's used to eating 10-15 g of fiber a day, who suddenly adds lots of legumes and whole grains and other fiber-rich foods, without the gut flora needed to properly digest it, is likely to be... uncomfortable.

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 8.50.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 9.37.24 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Minerva said:

I have only been WFPB for a few months, and I was concerned with protein intake when I first started, so I tracked my food on an app for a few weeks to make sure I was eating well

What app did you use?  I've been eating WFPB for 10+ years but recently by fingernails have been breaking (fwiwI had weak fingernails all my life until I started eating WFPB 10+ years ago).  Several people have told me that I'm not getting enough protein.  Thinking I need to track my food to confirm/refute.

8 hours ago, Minerva said:

I want to stress two things about eating this way that have really surprised me. One is that I am very satiated. I find it to be the most satisfying way to eat as far as meeting my hunger (and nutrient) needs. I have always had a big apitite and WFPB allows me to eat a lot without over eating calories. The other is that once I got the hang of it, it's really not hard. People often comment how much effort it takes to source and prepare food, but I have not found it to particularly difficult. I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything or spending too much time. Most importantly, I feel great.

That has been my experience, too. I have been wfpb for two years now. I love eating this way. I have had a few people tell me this is too restrictive, but I feel the opposite. There are so many fruits and vegetables available and when you branch out and try new items, it just opens up so many healthy, healing food options. The majority of people are only eating a few basic vegetables and fruits, like carrots, potatoes, apples and bananas. Ex: my DH eats a gala apple almost every morning for breakfast. He was working from home recently and asked if I minded if he ate one of my apples. It was a pink lady apple. He was shocked at how different it tasted from a gala and he was seriously swooning over it. I love exploring different items. 
I have also found that eating this way simplifies menu planning and meals. I plan to eat at least one large salad a day, so that is a constant. I rotate out the greens, beans and toppings. One day i might add grated carrots or roasted beets another day, etc. No two salads are ever the same so I don’t tire of them. 

I generally don’t worry about protein. I do eat nuts, beans, seeds daily. Occasionally I might make a smoothie with vegan protein powder, though I haven’t noticed any difference in how I feel when I do smoothies on a regular basis. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

What app did you use?  I've been eating WFPB for 10+ years but recently by fingernails have been breaking (fwiwI had weak fingernails all my life until I started eating WFPB 10+ years ago).  Several people have told me that I'm not getting enough protein.  Thinking I need to track my food to confirm/refute.

I use My Fitness Pal. The free version works fine for me. I can't remeber the name of the app @Corralenoused up above, but it looks amazing. 

I hope you can figure out what is causing your fingernails to break. I have to take an iron supplement because I am anemic due to ridiculously heavy periods. My Dr. was very encouraging of my WFPB choice despite my anemia and said I'd need to supplement with iron no matter what my diet. If you discover that it is an iron deficiency (I think brittle nails can be a symptom.), I highly recommend the Gaia Herbs Plant Force Liquid Iron. It is vegan and easy to digest. 

• Thanks 1

I just want to say thank you to EVERY one who has responded.   The kindness and generosity of time you all always show never ceases to inspire me.  I posted this on a whim this morning before work and checked in periodically through the day.  This inspired me to eat only veggies and grains for supper (well, the bread was homemade cornbread and did have dairy, etc.).  I especially appreciate those of you who have mentioned the ease of eating this way.  This has encouraged me! I am also relieved by the assurances of the protein sufficiency of this way of eating.  Again, MANY thanks!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

I do have another question.  If you're a consumer of fancy coffee, what do you use for cream?   This is one of the things I struggle to find an adequate sub for.   I like my coffee creamy! 

I use almond milk at home. I shake my half gallon carton of almond milk until it is frothy. Hazelnut creamer is what I use when at hotels or lobby of offices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kidlit said:

I do have another question.  If you're a consumer of fancy coffee, what do you use for cream?   This is one of the things I struggle to find an adequate sub for.   I like my coffee creamy! 

I think the brand is Oatly. They have different varieties with different amounts of fat. Full fat is preferred here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SHP said:

I think the brand is Oatly. They have different varieties with different amounts of fat. Full fat is preferred here

Totally agree.

I've been strict about my diet & totally loosey-goosey. But, when I'm not consuming much or any dairy, the biggest issue for me is what to put in my coffee.

Oat milk is my favorite for the creaminess. It has the right texture.

Coconut milk tastes good but is thinner than dairy milk.

I like soy milk but there is definitely a discernible taste difference.

Hemp milk is also pretty good. A little sweeter tasting than some of the others, not quite as creamy as oat milk but still a good consistency.

I'm not a fan of almond milk in my coffee. I love almonds, but I find almond milk bitter & too thin.

I think I tried rice milk too but I honestly don't remember. I think it's on the thinner/less creamy side (like almond milk).

(As I mentioned, I have done a lot of experimenting to get the right addition for my coffee. Coffee is my everyday thing & I didn't want to give it up! Lol!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kidlit said:

I've tried a bunch of different plant milks, and for chai and coffee I like Oatly Barista Edition best. It's oat milk with a tiny amount of fat added as an emulsifier so it froths for cappuccinos and gives more of a dairy-ish mouthfeel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

Vitamin C deficiency or iron deficiency can cause brittle nails. In college, my university health services doctors realized I needed 300mg daily minimum else my gums are unhappy and my nose runs like a tap often. There is a blood test for vit c deficiency but I haven’t done that. My protein level is monitored with the comprehensive metabolic panel blood test.

5 hours ago, Sunshine State Sue said:

Before I would take on tracking macros, I would see my doctor and request blood work to check vitamin levels. 

I have tracked macros in the past amd recently learned that I was doing it wrong because I wasn't weighing my food raw. I have been too sick to restart, but I will no longer use My Fitness Pal. The paid version is too expensive and the free doesn’t do what I need. I will probably use Macros Inc. 

If you have never tracked and join online groups be aware that there is an assumption that everyone is in perfect health and not being able to comply with the requirements 100% is a choice and there is a lot of shaming and it is a very toxic environment. I gave up on educated because they literally cannot imagine that a failure is not a choice and that someone can live their entire life and not have a clue that their normal is actually very much not normal.

• Sad 1

I bought some Oatly today. I have drunk mostly black coffee for years, but I am finding it easier on my stomach if I have some kind of something to make it creamier. @Stacia mentioned coconut milk as being thinner, but I am quite satisfied with this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thai-Kitchen-Coconut-Milk-25-36-fl-oz/359649635?athbdg=L1100&from=searchResults or with the lite version (which doesn't have anything in it that makes it bad for you). I am not concerned about not having any animal products. I will still use butter sometimes, eat eggs, eat meat sometimes, have a cup of milk occasionally. But I do want to cut way back and experiment with focusing on vegetables and fruit, I think. I will see if @Selkie's results happen for me, in that I start liking vegetables more. I have no problem with fruit, but it's sweet, and that is what I need less of.

• Like 3

Okay, so now I'm not sure whether I like Oatly or the coconut milk best! They are both really good. I guess I will just have to keep testing. One advantage of the coconut milk is that it stays good longer--at least I think. I don't have any right now to check the box, but I know I use it longer than a week.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

... start liking vegetables more. I have no problem with fruit, but it's sweet, and that is what I need less of.

IMO the key to really enjoying vegetables is to make them the center of the meal and include a lot of texture and flavor. Most people are used to eating vegetables as a plain side dish where all the flavor is in the meat/potatoes/cheese/etc. — compared to the other parts of the meal, a side of steamed broccoli seems like something to just get through for the sake of health rather than something to really enjoy. But if you make a vegetable curry with garlic and ginger and spices and coconut milk, or a stir fry with garlic and ginger and various sauces, or a salad of wild rice and roasted vegetables with toasted pecans and a lemon-maple-tahini dressing, there's just so much texture and flavor there that you don't miss the meat or dairy at all.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Kidlit said:

@Corraleno , do you have a favorite recipe source?

My favorite vegan YouTuber is Nisha Vora at Rainbow Plant Life. She does lots of Indian dishes as well as more usual comfort food. (She went to Harvard Law School, hated her law career, and quit to start a vegan food blog and YouTube channel!) Her food is amazing, and she's adorable.

For Asian style food, I really like Will Yeung at Yeung Man Cooking. He mostly does stir fries and noodle dishes, and my DD is totally addicted to his jajangmyeon recipe — I literally make that for her at least once a week.

Some vegan recipe blogs I like:
Richa Hingle at https://www.veganricha.com
Caitlin Shoemaker at https://frommybowl.com
Sadia Badiei at https://www.pickuplimes.com
Iosune Robles at https://simpleveganblog.com/recipes/
Lauren Toyota at https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/about/

Most of the people listed above also have cookbooks available on Amazon.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 5/1/2023 at 8:36 AM, Kidlit said:

I'm interested in WFPB but am really trying to up my protein intake.  I have not researched this but know many boardies eat this way, so I thought I'd ask you all.   Are you conscious of this when you eat, and if you are, how do you manage it?  (Please talk to me like I'm a kindergartener about this because I am.) 

I never think about it.  I just eat what I like and occasionally experiment with new foods and new recipes that I find on random internet sites.  I've been collecting recipes long enough that I have plenty of recipes to get the variety that satisfies me.  I know what I like and what I don't like at this point.  And I know I do better when I spend as little time thinking about food as possible.  So that's what I do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Okay, so now I'm not sure whether I like Oatly or the coconut milk best! They are both really good. I guess I will just have to keep testing. One advantage of the coconut milk is that it stays good longer--at least I think. I don't have any right now to check the box, but I know I use it longer than a week.

I use that coconut milk as a base for curry. The lite version is too light for me to use as a curry base.

• Like 1

Mediterranean cultures have plenty of legume dishes and they are eaten as a main dish (together with bread and side salad):

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/gigantes-plaki

https://thegreekfoodie.com/greek-lentil-soup-recipe/

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12687-mercimek-koftesi-lentil-balls

https://www.tasteofbeirut.com/chickpea-soup-lablabi/

They are also very easy to make in large quantities (the idea was to feed big families) and they freeze well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Jumping in - I find The Doctor's Kitchen to be good. He does have some recipes with meat, but the veggies are still the centre. 

https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes/

He's an interesting guy: still a practising emergency medicine doctor, but also running nutrition courses for doctors who - he feels - are ill-equipped to help patients with the standard very minimal nutrition training.  Nutrition shouldn't just be for nutritionists to work on.

https://culinarymedicineuk.org/

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 8:56 PM, Corraleno said:

My favorite vegan YouTuber is Nisha Vora at Rainbow Plant Life. She does lots of Indian dishes as well as more usual comfort food. (She went to Harvard Law School, hated her law career, and quit to start a vegan food blog and YouTube channel!) Her food is amazing, and she's adorable.

Thanks for all your recommendations!  I watched several of Nisha Vora's YouTube videos and made her red lentil curry today.  So good!!

• Like 4

On 5/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, Kidlit said:

Thanks for all your recommendations!  I watched several of Nisha Vora's YouTube videos and made her red lentil curry today.  So good!!

@CorralenoThanks from me too. I've made 3 of her recipes since yesterday and enjoyed them all.  - smashed edamame avocado toast, zucchini pesto pasta, and the red lentil curry. I'm very annoyed with myself that I didn't buy more avocadoes to make it again tomorrow. I just made enough for one serving today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Soror said:

@CorralenoThanks from me too. I've made 3 of her recipes since yesterday and enjoyed them all.  - smashed edamame avocado toast, zucchini pesto pasta, and the red lentil curry. I'm very annoyed with myself that I didn't buy more avocadoes to make it again tomorrow. I just made enough for one serving today. 

We love that smashed edamame toast!

• Like 2

She's my favorite since I started cooking vegan at home in January. I was tempted to get an Instant Pot just to use her cookbook, but now I know she's making a non-Instant Pot cookbook and I can't wait. We like strong flavors and she's good at that. We're also using less processed vegan stuff but do use oil and her recipes fit well with that.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:40 AM, Kidlit said:

14 hours ago, Soror said:

I've made 3 of her recipes since yesterday and enjoyed them all.  - smashed edamame avocado toast, zucchini pesto pasta, and the red lentil curry.

I love the red lentil curry — I usually add roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes plus lots of greens (mixed baby kale, chard, & spinach). Yum!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

I love the red lentil curry — I usually add roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes plus lots of greens (mixed baby kale, chard, & spinach). Yum!

Coincidentally I also added roasted cauliflower and sweet potato. I also had green beans with it but no greens as I was out. 

• Like 1