Menu

Grumble grumble grumble petty whingey thread

36 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

And while we're on the subject--

it's not uncommon in my neck or the woods to be met by 8 or 10 or 12 or 14 year old youngsters asking for donations so their travel ball team can realize their dreams by going to "World Series" of their particular sport.  This shows how cantankerous I really am, but I would be over-the-top embarrassed to ask perfect strangers to help me foot the bill so we can spend the week or weekend in south Florida (or somewhere) playing ball.  I cannot imagine a circumstance that would induce me to do that. 

okay, rant over (again)

Yeah my giving priorities generally don't include such things.

I do spend money to send my kids on trips and such.  Double standard, maybe, but I don't ask others to help pay for our trips.  If I was in need of financial help, I hope the purpose would be feeding my kids or paying the utilities.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SKL said:

Yeah my giving priorities generally don't include such things.

I do spend money to send my kids on trips and such.  Double standard, maybe, but I don't ask others to help pay for our trips.  If I was in need of financial help, I hope the purpose would be feeding my kids or paying the utilities.

That's exactly how I feel 

3 hours ago, Kidlit said:

I never imagined that I'd be the sort of uninvolved parent that I am when my kids went to school (and I, a teacher myself, no less), but I all but refuse to participate in any fundraiser.  My public school kids go to a fairly wealthy school district, and I'm not all that interested in guilting people  into buying something just so the PTO can lavish the teachers with fantastic lunches and cool water bottles or "tea bombs" or what-have-you.  Neither am I going to sell so some athletic team can have X, Y, or Z.   I know how much is spent on education and it's not insignificant.  

okay, whine-rant over 

This is me to I help out with the blood drive but nothing else.

• Like 1

Petty whinge from work - I send someone an email and they respond using my coworker's name as addressee.

I'm completely sympathetic if, out of the blue, I get enquiries that I have to forward on to my colleague, as it's not easy to remember which of us does what. But if I actually email you, don't just shove down any administrator's name in your reply - check my signature. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Petty whinge from work - I send someone an email and they respond using my coworkers name as addressee.

I'm completely sympathetic if, out of the blue, I get enquiries that I have to forward on to my colleague, as it's not easy to remember which of us does what. But if I actually email you, don't just shove down any administrator's name in your reply - check my signature. 

This happens to me a lot too (people think I and my co-worker are one).  I find it funny.

I'm awful with names, and like half of the people I deal with are named Jeff, Joe, or Jon, so I may have been guilty of this mistake myself.

A related whine:  people whose first and last names are both first names and last names.  For example James Christopher ... with an email christopher.james@helpmeout.com.  Are you Christopher or James?  😛

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SKL said:

This happens to me a lot too (people think I and my co-worker are one).  I find it funny.

I'm awful with names, and like half of the people I deal with are named Jeff, Joe, or Jon, so I may have been guilty of this mistake myself.

A related whine:  people whose first and last names are both first names and last names.  For example James Christopher ... with an email christopher.james@helpmeout.com.  Are you Christopher or James?  😛

I used to think it happened because both people in the roles were grey-haired late-fifties British women whose names start with 'L'.  My previous colleague retired and my entirely dissimilar new colleague and I - she's aged 32, American, dark-haired, begins with 'S' - are apparently one person too.

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:04 AM, chocolate-chip chooky said:

My second whinge for the day is about those peel-off seals on jars that don't have a tab to get you started. Arrrgghh again.

I hate these. Especially on big jars-my tiny hands have a hard enough time opening things without extra resistance. 

And I hate when they seal outside the jar's lid with shrink wrap (or whatever) AND include the little peel off seal inside the jar. Why both? 

• Like 6

On 4/19/2023 at 12:09 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

My whinge for the day

One of my twins is starting a new medication today. It isn't on the pbs, I was told by the paediatrician it would be $60 for pack of 30 tablets. Went to pharmacist and they tried to charge me $87 . When I questioned why the paediatrician said it would be  just under $60 they dropped the price to $64. I can't believe it. Did they really try a$23 mark up? Were they really expecting  I would be paying an extra $23 every 30 days.  I am thinking I should next time try the pharmicest 100 km away

I'm so sorry; this is wrong. Medication should never be the subject of tom-foolery, and yet here we are.

🙋‍♀️ I have a complaint. 

Has anyone else noticed the stupid little video game ads that have popped up recently on YouTube? They are animated but very violent. Stupid stuff like Mafia Boss. Of course you can’t skip until it gets to a certain point. By then, I’ve had to be forced (well, I can not look but you know what I mean) to look at stupid video game violence. I tend to prefer to not see violent images, so this is the thing that irritates me today. Just please stop with that already. It was bad enough with all the gross Lume ads. 🤢

So stupid. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 4

Today was full of pet peeves, sigh.

If I am a walk-in for a service, and you say something like, "I'll put you on the schedule," and I ask if that means you know what time the service I'm asking for will be available, it's not necessary to put me in my place by telling me there are only two people, and they'll get to me when they get to me. A schedule implies time slots. Just tell me you put me on a list, and then I will ask if you are particularly busy so that I can decide if I have time to wait. I'm a walk-in because my day is chaotic; I'm not trying to insinuate I need to be served this minute

Apps for every store.

It really bugs me when someone (in this case a professional who is also a gatekeeper) who needs information from me won't stop talking (and joking and laughing at their not funny jokes) and in all those words just makes more for me to explain when they finally stop. I had to tell a dentist today to stop interrupting me because I no longer knew what he asked or if I'd answered him yet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

🙋‍♀️ I have a complaint. 

Has anyone else noticed the stupid little video game ads that have popped up recently on YouTube? They are animated but very violent. Stupid stuff like Mafia Boss. Of course you can’t skip until it gets to a certain point. By then, I’ve had to be forced (well, I can not look but you know what I mean) to look at stupid video game violence. I tend to prefer to not see violent images, so this is the thing that irritates me today. Just please stop with that already. It was bad enough with all the gross Lume ads. 🤢

So stupid. 

I got so annoyed with the ads, I actually bought a subscription so I could be ad-free on Youtube.

Then I realized I probably could have had the same result just from installing my security app on my new computer.  😕

• Like 1

When someone tunes me out and doesn’t listen to the directions about something, possibly several times, possibly failing to read the info written in good handwriting in plain sight, then doesn’t understand why I am exasperated when they ask how to do it/what to do/when to go, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dinner was . . . not good. It was just pasta, jarred sausage, and sautéed chicken sausage. It shoulda been fine BUT I accidentally bought apple chicken sausage and did not care for the flavor combination. I should have turned it into a curry, but I didn’t have it in me. We ate it. It was edible, I guess. 

I bought some socks that are super soft at Costco. They squeeze the middle of my feet, which I hate AND they attract everything like Velcro. I swear they have leaf litter permanently imbedded in the fibers. It didn’t wash out!!!

• Sad 1

My complaint today is that while I enjoy this board, the one thing I don’t like is to have my words be twisted or unfairly misunderstood or misinterpreted. I feel bad for others when I see it happening to them. I know this is practically unavoidable, but I still want to complain about it. I feel a genuine friendly feeling toward others here when I feel I have gotten to “know” them. Then as some responses feel devoid of any warmth and seem unfair, I feel disillusioned and sad. This is a me problem, I realize. I guess it’s unrealistic to expect that, but still. We are all so different so I get it. But this board is a very unique place. Just wish we could band together just a bit tighter. Cause things out there just get tougher. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

My complaint today is that while I enjoy this board, the one thing I don’t like is to have my words be twisted or unfairly misunderstood or misinterpreted. I feel bad for others when I see it happening to them. I know this is practically unavoidable, but I still want to complain about it. I feel a genuine friendly feeling toward others here when I feel I have gotten to “know” them. Then as some responses feel devoid of any warmth and seem unfair, I feel disillusioned and sad. This is a me problem, I realize. I guess it’s unrealistic to expect that, but still. We are all so different so I get it. But this board is a very unique place. Just wish we could band together just a bit tighter. Cause things out there just get tougher. 

Yes yes yes.

1E16DB94-2C8C-440D-A84E-FD1C8EE50475.jpeg

4692E05F-17BF-4383-BBC4-F6512A2E8231.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

When someone tunes me out and doesn’t listen to the directions about something, possibly several times, possibly failing to read the info written in good handwriting in plain sight, then doesn’t understand why I am exasperated when they ask how to do it/what to do/when to go, etc. 

I teach science classes, mostly to teenagers.   I definitely want them to ask questions if they don't understand something about the lab, but when I've just spend ten minutes explaining every step AND they have step-by-step instructions in front of them in their lab notebooks AND the step-by-step instructions are also on the screen in the front of the room, I don't expect the question to be "what are we doing?".   🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

When someone in my household continues to do something unhelpful and annoying, even when asked repeatedly not to. This person is not age 5. The somethings are small and unimportant, but cumulatively frustrating.

E.g. Leaving the dryer door hanging open overnight after opening it to stop the dryer. So cold/hot air from outside is coming into the house that way.

Filling the disposal side of the sink with hot, soapy water to wash something, when the other side is available and doesn’t keep people from using the disposal. Then walking away and leaving the water there.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Filling the disposal side of the sink with hot, soapy water to wash something, when the other side is available and doesn’t keep people from using the disposal. Then walking away and leaving the water there.

This has been an ongoing peeve of mine for years.  And I'm talking about women older than me.

I've asked people at least a hundred times, "please leave your dishes in the right basin.  Please don't leave stuff in the left side."  I've explained why numerous times.  I wash dishes various times throughout the day to make sure both sides of the sink are clear.  And yet, someone will always put their dang dirty, grimy plate(s) or used pot(s) in the left sink basin, leaving the right basin empty.

I honestly think there is some passive aggressive crap going on.

It's a small thing, but there are very few things I ever ask of anyone.  So even if you think I'm being a dweeb, just humor me on this one thing.  Otherwise, how do you think that makes me feel?  Like my time, my preferences, my feelings don't matter at all.

OK, dramatic rant over!

Edited by SKL
  • Like 4

Not turning the lights off when leaving a room. After a bit, all the lights in the house are on. The big, overhead lights which I personally do not prefer to have on at all because they are not cozy. Lamps are cozy. But if you leave a bathroom or kitchen, turn off the lights. And even closet lights! Closet door closed, light still on???

And we have a nosy neighbor who notices EVERYTHING and once made a comment to Dh that our power bill must be high “because your wife likes to have all the lights in the house on!” 😳😳😳😳😳

He assumed it was ME!!   ME?   NO! I am not the one leaving the lights on all over the house!😂😂😂It’s not me!

(We both laughed and thought it was funny because Dh knows he has this bad habit and laughed that the neighbor noticed and thought it was the wife’s doings.🤷‍♀️)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Not turning the lights off when leaving a room. After a bit, all the lights in the house are on. The big, overhead lights which I personally do not prefer to have on at all because they are not cozy. Lamps are cozy. But if you leave a bathroom or kitchen, turn off the lights. And even closet lights! Closet door closed, light still on???

And we have a nosy neighbor who notices EVERYTHING and once made a comment to Dh that our power bill must be high “because your wife likes to have all the lights in the house on!” 😳😳😳😳😳

He assumed it was ME!!   ME?   NO! I am not the one leaving the lights on all over the house!😂😂😂It’s not me!

(We both laughed and thought it was funny because Dh knows he has this bad habit and laughed that the neighbor noticed and thought it was the wife’s doings.🤷‍♀️)

This is another thing I used to fight over.  I wasn't raised to be wasteful, and besides that, I had mega educational debt when we bought this house (joint ownership/mortgage).  I became the electricity police, turning off lights behind others all the time.  It cut our electricity bill by 50%.  They did start leaving lights on less often, but now it's the kids and the dog.  Why the dog?  Because the 60+ auntie believes there shouldn't be dark areas in the house because those areas would be uninviting for our dog to laze around in.  We can't have that, can we?  She's also gone back to leaving her bedroom light on essentially 100% of her waking hours (other than when I shut it off after she goes downstairs).  And one of my kids has some fear thing where she feels like all the lights need to be on during non-sunny waking hours.

But yeah, people probably do think it's me ....

• Like 2

Okay. I have another🙋‍♀️!!

It’s more of a frustration than a complaint.

How about people who just assume things instead of actually doing some fact checking to confirm their assumptions. 

Example: You need an item from Big Box Store. Someone assumes they don’t keep that item in stock. “Oh, they don’t have those there. It would need to be ordered.”

My thinking: But how bout we just check to see? 

Yes, after a phone call, item IS in stock. 

I know two people who routinely do this. It’s frustrating. 

Why can’t everyone just listen to me and do what I say?? 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

A friend was coming from the US for a driving tour of the UK and asked for tips.  I mentioned that there was a sign for 'national speed limits apply' - broadly 30mph in town, 60mph out of town and 70mph on a divided highway, and sent her a picture of it.

When we met up after her trip, she complained that roads never said what the speed limit was.

Screenshot_20230423_221855.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1