Menu

Update 1st post: Deterring SKUNKS (not raccoons?) without hurting my dog

SKL

Update :  might actually be skunks.  Last night I had my dog out on a leash to go potty, and something little and partly white slowly crept out from under the gazebo.  It was too dark to really see it, but it seemed short-haired rather than fluffy.

Not gonna lie, baby skunks are the cutest damn things.  We once had a family of skunks living in our house foundation.  They would parade by our door and look at us like, "what are those humans doing in our house?"  We politely waited for them to move on!  But we didn't have a dog then.

I dunno how this is gonna go if we have skunks living in a place we walk by every day & night with our dog.

Original post:

My dog is way too curious and offended about the raccoons that are hanging out under our backyard gazebo.  I would rather not have a fight between my German Shepherd and a raccoon.

It is likely the raccoons are planning to have their babies there (if they haven't already), as happened last year.

Is there anything I can put out there that would encourage the raccoons to move away, but wouldn't endanger any mammals?

Edited by SKL

We had raccoons in our basement several years ago, and we tried playing a radio station with conservative talk shows all day long.  It didn't work.  Neither did ammonia, which someone recommended.  And apparently they don't mind human smells, or they wouldn't have moved into our basement.

The gazebo is up the hill, in the elements.  Even if we could get a radio to work up there, the neighbors wouldn't love hearing that all day and night.

I don't think we can block the critters' entry, as the gazebo is on diggable ground, and they'd just dig back in.  They are resourceful and persistent.

Soap and moth balls sound like interesting ideas that I could try.

I could call professional critter catchers, but they would have to euthanize the raccoons, so I'd rather try something more humane.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

I suppose you could try a live trap and then transport them far away. But boy, that wouldn't be my first choice

I think this is often illegal, though it was considered the preferred, kind thing to do when I was a kid.

OP, various critters have spent time under a shed in our yard. The dogs have been highly interested, and can be hard to call away from the shed when they have something cornered under there, but the critters have always had the good sense to stay underneath when the dogs are out. I don’t think dogs or other animals have ever been hurt. Maybe we’ve just been lucky, I don’t know.  Our shed is low to the ground, and that might help. Short of rebuilding the shed with a solid masonry foundation, I’m not sure we could keep animals out from under it. Even that might not suffice. We have woods all around and lots of creatures. 

Is the dog outside for long stretches of time, unattended? It might be easier to monitor the dog than to evict the raccoons. Are there trees, etc., that the raccoons could use as a quick escape route if they’re surprised by the dog? I would expect them to want to avoid the dog, and not seek a fight.

If soap or mothballs work, that would be great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I don't think we can block the critters' entry, as the gazebo is on diggable ground, and they'd just dig back in.  They are resourceful and persistent.

Our storage barn is on diggable ground. DH blocked it by layering heavy landscaping blocks all around it to fill in the gap. It wasn't an inexpensive fix (it took a lot of blocks), but it looks decently nice and solved the problem. There's still enough of a gap in a couple of places that squirrels and chipmunks can get under it, but we haven't seen signs of anything larger than that so far. Definitely nothing has tried to dig their way in.

• Like 1

If the raccoons are looking to live under the gazebo, put some dishes of ammonia under there. It worked for us one time.

If it is in an area that the dog could get it, maybe put a plastic lid on it with plenty of holes. Because of the smell the dog may not get into it, but just to be safe...

Edited by *****
added more info

57 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

I think this is often illegal, though it was considered the preferred, kind thing to do when I was a kid.

OP, various critters have spent time under a shed in our yard. The dogs have been highly interested, and can be hard to call away from the shed when they have something cornered under there, but the critters have always had the good sense to stay underneath when the dogs are out. I don’t think dogs or other animals have ever been hurt. Maybe we’ve just been lucky, I don’t know.  Our shed is low to the ground, and that might help. Short of rebuilding the shed with a solid masonry foundation, I’m not sure we could keep animals out from under it. Even that might not suffice. We have woods all around and lots of creatures. 

Is the dog outside for long stretches of time, unattended? It might be easier to monitor the dog than to evict the raccoons. Are there trees, etc., that the raccoons could use as a quick escape route if they’re surprised by the dog? I would expect them to want to avoid the dog, and not seek a fight.

If soap or mothballs work, that would be great.

I had a momma bunny and Rottie-Lab who would want to disagree! To be fair, no one actually got hurt. But momma sure did put in the effort, and Charlie boy was emotionally scarred for life. 🤣

• Sad 1

I would make sure there’s no entry point on the bottom of the gazebo, preferably when no one is at home under there.

Also, eliminate any food sources as best you can. Bird feeders, houses (they like to raid nests for eggs and babies), pet food bowls. Eliminating the bird seed and pet food bowls from our deck is what finally stopped our nightly raccoon visits, but ours were not making a nest and having babies — that might be a whole different ball game!

(Though, if your raccoons liked conservative talk radio, maybe they will leave if you play the opposite!🤣)

Go to the dollar store and buy some of their most obnoxious perfume.  Put it on cotton balls in a small container ( an old pill bottle works well just no lid) and throw under the gazebo.  They will leave.  This has worked well so far for removing them from an attic.  And I can say it has worked well against the rats with bushy tails aka squirrels in the garden.  

• Thanks 1

• SKL changed the title to Update 1st post: Deterring SKUNKS (not raccoons?) without hurting my dog

I'd make sure I had some sort of "skunked dog" wash, or the ingredients to make one, on hand. The most effective DIY version seems to be a combo of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent and baking soda. Proportions vary slightly depending on the source. There are also commercial products available. You can do a search for the DIY recipe and for various products. I've never had to deal with it (thankfully!), but my understanding is any treatment works best when applied to a dry coat and massaged through, rather than wetting the coat first. I'd also want some good disposable rubber gloves on hand.

Skunks are most active at dawn and dusk, so I'd keep the dog on leash at those times. But we had one strolling through our yard around 10:00 a.m. a couple of weeks ago, so . . if I didn't want to get a wildlife person to evict the critters I'd probably keep the dog on leash all the time until they move on. That's a royal pain, but I'd rather deal with that than a skunked dog.

My advice is for raccoons, but maybe it works for skunks? We’ve gotten them to move on with water. Mama raccoon wants a secure nursery for her babies and will move them if she thinks it’s not ideal. We had an attempt to nest in our chimney (for a second time. We’re slow learners).  Dh got the hose and sent some water her way. It wasn’t a LOT but it was enough harassment that she relocated. 

We have to have them trapped and removed. We get a lot of skunks in our neighborhood a d they den under our deck. 
they started spraying the neighborhood cats and the smell comes right in our foundation into the house

We tried all the tricks- nothing deters them!

Edited by Hilltopmom