Menu

Mom Update - She's on the list!!!!

ktgrok

7 minutes ago, BandH said:

Wonderful news!  I wonder if there is a way to rent a sewing machine up there?  You should have that stress relief!  

I started to look, but realized when I'm at the hospital I won't be able to use it anyway. I'll look mor einto it when I go back up, after she gets discharged, I think. 

Ok so I'd probably be traveling Southwest, and their carry on rules are by size, not weight. So I COULD bring my machine. I guess some fly with it just in the hard cover it came with?Mine is heavy though, so I was thinking I could get a rolling cart type case, IF I can fit my machine in it and find one that works with the carry on size. Google says my machine is 17.2" long, but I just measured and it was more like 16.2. I'm betting that extra inch is from the cord when it attached? Which it wouldn't be. Most cases are not big enough for 17" so that matters. 

Might be better off trying to see if I can pack it safely in a regular carryon wheeled bag I already have. Could put fabric and machine and thread in there, and put needles/pins/rotary cutter in checked bag. 

I

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok so I'd probably be traveling Southwest, and their carry on rules are by size, not weight. So I COULD bring my machine. I guess some fly with it just in the hard cover it came with?Mine is heavy though, so I was thinking I could get a rolling cart type case, IF I can fit my machine in it and find one that works with the carry on size. Google says my machine is 17.2" long, but I just measured and it was more like 16.2. I'm betting that extra inch is from the cord when it attached? Which it wouldn't be. Most cases are not big enough for 17" so that matters. 

Might be better off trying to see if I can pack it safely in a regular carryon wheeled bag I already have. Could put fabric and machine and thread in there, and put needles/pins/rotary cutter in checked bag. 

I

My worries for your machine (mine is heavy as well): it would be very difficult to get in the overhead bin and it won't fit under a set. If you get it in a bin, then you have other people shoving their stuff in there not caring if they are banging your bag. I'd be really concerned about your knobs. I've tried putting my machine with it's hardcover on into a rolling tote and it didn't fit. If you can find one that will fit, maybe a Tutto, then that's your best bet. Still super heavy though.

40 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My worries for your machine (mine is heavy as well): it would be very difficult to get in the overhead bin and it won't fit under a set. If you get it in a bin, then you have other people shoving their stuff in there not caring if they are banging your bag. I'd be really concerned about your knobs. I've tried putting my machine with it's hardcover on into a rolling tote and it didn't fit. If you can find one that will fit, maybe a Tutto, then that's your best bet. Still super heavy though.

yeah, I think I'm going to pack up the EPP stuff to hand sew, since I'll be at the hospital a lot this time anyway. And reevaluate for when I go up when she is discharged and I'll be at the actual apartment more. Might even get a small, more portable machine for that, or borrow one.

I will say, I just was in the zoom Caregiver Support meeting and someone had to sign out because they got the call! So exciting!

Also good to see my daddy on zoom - he's not a chatty guy, but he called me after and we coordinated some stuff, he's excited I can tell 🙂

• Like 6

So - mini update

Mom messaged me and it seems I am NOT going up there, at least not while she is in the hospital. They are seeing a lot of patients getting Covid and Flu post op, and are discouraging extra visitors/persons. If Dad needs me, I'll still go, but at this point it's not something they are planning on. If it looks like they do want me there say, when she goes from hospital to apartment, they will let me know and I'll isolate at home for 7-10 days, and then drive, rather than fly, to go up there. That will minimize germ exposure. 

AND she got a call today from dermatologist, the basal cell tumor they took off her neck was bigger than thought and they didn't get clear margins. She has to go back - the derm is calling around to find the soonest they can get her in with someone to go back in. Sigh. Not sure how that will impact her listing. 

Quite the roller coaster of emotions the last few days. 

• Like 7

No news, but had to share this photo she sent me today - she looks amazing! I told her she does not LOOK like someone that needs a lung transplant! Nor does she look 70 years old! I know some probably hear her age and think she is too old for a transplant, it's a waste, or whatever, but I think this photo shows how vibrant she is, and how much more life she has in her, if she gets thiimage.thumb.png.ddc10ba44b6d934c2ff8b59506d5b347.pngs transplant. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

No news, but had to share this photo she sent me today - she looks amazing! I told her she does not LOOK like someone that needs a lung transplant! Nor does she look 70 years old! I know some probably hear her age and think she is too old for a transplant, it's a waste, or whatever, but I think this photo shows how vibrant she is, and how much more life she has in her, if she gets thiimage.thumb.png.ddc10ba44b6d934c2ff8b59506d5b347.pngs transplant. 

Wow, she looks great! I would have thought she was 20 years younger.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Wow, she looks great! I would have thought she was 20 years younger.

She actually had some people at the rehab center, who see her there daily but are not the ones working with her so don't have her chart/details, who thought she was 50, not 70!  And the rehab program has been SO good for her - she had declined so much over the last year, not realizing it was a new lung disease, just thinking she was out of shape from Covid and staying home so much. Once they got her on oxygen all the time she was able to move around more at home, but that rehab program there is what really has transformed her. They have her not just doing cardio (bike and treadmill) but also weight lifting! And stretching as well. AND they got her eating more protein, which she needed but I hadn't been able to get her to do. 

• Like 7

Oh, and she had Mohs procedure yesterday, to get the rest of the Basal cell carcinoma on her neck that the first surgery didn't get all off. I sort of hope she gets a little bit longer before surgery just so she's not stuck lying on her neck in a hospital bed - one more thing to feel yucky. But I guess she will have enough pain meds it wouldn't matter in the scheme of things, lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, and she had Mohs procedure yesterday, to get the rest of the Basal cell carcinoma on her neck that the first surgery didn't get all off. I sort of hope she gets a little bit longer before surgery just so she's not stuck lying on her neck in a hospital bed - one more thing to feel yucky. But I guess she will have enough pain meds it wouldn't matter in the scheme of things, lol. 

My fil had to have a pretty big spot removed from his face via Moh's procedure. It healed fairly quickly.