Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

3 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Do you foresee this continuing for a while? I do. I think the pool of available admits is shrinking so casting wider/broader nets, especially with LACs seems wise.

Yes. Demographically, enrollment overall is shrinking. Kids have longer lists, but also trends are changing and there are both fewer kids and fewer kids going to college overall.

Of course, competition at the top is going to remain fierce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Yes. Demographically, enrollment overall is shrinking. Kids have longer lists, but also trends are changing and there are both fewer kids and fewer kids going to college overall.

Of course, competition at the top is going to remain fierce.

It does make me wonder if my GenX graduation into a recession will end up paying dividends for my kids. That would be nice... fewer available college grads when my peeps graduate and a wide open, global labor market.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

It does make me wonder if my GenX graduation into a recession will end up paying dividends for my kids. That would be nice... fewer available college grads when my peeps graduate and a wide open, global labor market.

Statistically, I was at a low birth year as a GenX'er. As a result, my kids were also at a lower birth year. These trends have been coming, but the pandemic skewed them in various ways. But now I think they're hitting schools in earnest.

I think the higher volume of applications and increased use of ED is masking the fact that it is getting a little easier. But at the tippy top among the Dukes and Stanfords of the pack, it's random enough that it'll keep feeling random. And schools rejecting kids to protect their yield will keep being a thing, so I'm not saying that kids can just walk in. Far from it. Just that the madness of the last few years seems to me personally, anecdotally like it's easing off a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dd did not get the big scholarship she competed for, so she will go to TN Tech. She is disappointed, but it will be ok. She had her heart set on the small, Christian school, but it is way too expensive for us without the big scholarship. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 21

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

Statistically, I was at a low birth year as a GenX'er. As a result, my kids were also at a lower birth year. These trends have been coming, but the pandemic skewed them in various ways. But now I think they're hitting schools in earnest.

I think the higher volume of applications and increased use of ED is masking the fact that it is getting a little easier. But at the tippy top among the Dukes and Stanfords of the pack, it's random enough that it'll keep feeling random. And schools rejecting kids to protect their yield will keep being a thing, so I'm not saying that kids can just walk in. Far from it. Just that the madness of the last few years seems to me personally, anecdotally like it's easing off a bit.

unless the admissions rates (among schools with 40% or less rates) increase rather than stabilize at historical lows, how can you justify saying that the madness of last few years is easing off? It feels to me that madness of last few years is not worsening but again unless I see admissions rates go up from historical lows to where they were couple of years ago, I don’t think anything is easing. Easing implies improvement. so far what we have seen is again record apps stated by some of the LACs. I won’t even touch the tops like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherrim/2022/12/21/early-admissions-data-reveals-record-breaking-cycle-for-top-schools/?sh=426d71a01414

And I am not sure there is any improvement in UC apps either. We shall see what their admit rates will look like.

I want to believe you, but as I look at my second kid who will be applying in couple of years, I don’t think he will have it any easier. 

Maybe schools with 50% acceptance rates?  But I didn’t see much of craziness with those schools at all. It seems the stampede was concentrated among the top 50 or so, maybe top 80 schools.
My impression is those that were somewhat easy to get into remained so through the pandemic. All I know we woke up to this admissions year and schools that used to be 25% acceptance rate were half that. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd did not get the big scholarship she competed for, so she will go to TN Tech. She is very disappointed, but it will be ok. She had her heart set on the small, Christian school, but it is way too expensive for us without the big scholarship. 

I’m so sorry 😔. I’m sure that is hard on her and on you (hugs). 

I really do feel like all our kiddos are going to do phenomenal wherever they are planted.

Maybe start getting super excited about dorm shopping, etc. 🤗

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd did not get the big scholarship she competed for, so she will go to TN Tech. She is very disappointed, but it will be ok. She had her heart set on the small, Christian school, but it is way too expensive for us without the big scholarship. 

I’m sorry. I have heard of so many kids who have had that school as their top choice but I don’t think I’ve actually ever known anyone who went. It is just tough. 

I know it is disappointing. I’m sure she’ll go well at Tech. Most of the kids we have known to go there have been happy and it certainly has plenty to offer. Congrats to your family and I hope you are able to get excited soon. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

unless the admissions rates (among schools with 40% or less rates) increase rather than stabilize at historical lows, how can you justify saying that the madness of last few years is easing off? It feels to me that madness of last few years is not worsening but again unless I see admissions rates go up from historical lows to where they were couple of years ago, I don’t think anything is easing. Easing implies improvement. so far what we have seen is again record apps stated by some of the LACs. I won’t even touch the tops like this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherrim/2022/12/21/early-admissions-data-reveals-record-breaking-cycle-for-top-schools/?sh=426d71a01414

And I am not sure there is any improvement in UC apps either. We shall see what their admit rates will look like.

I want to believe you, but as I look at my second kid who will be applying in couple of years, I don’t think he will have it any easier. 

Maybe schools with 50% acceptance rates? 

Not sure about Farrar but I start from a place of not thinking the schools on that 'top' list are where my kids need to go/the only schools worth attending and if one of my kids wants to attend, I'm looking at guaranteed admit/transfer/dual degree programs that allow them to get great teaching and nurturing *and* their degree of choice from their school of choice too. There are thousands of colleges in the U.S. DS might apply to 2-3 lotteries but we'll be looking at mid-major schools with marching bands from the PacNorWest to the Midwest to the East as well. DS is adamant about it being cold, lol. I want my kids to enjoy high school not flip out over a B+/A-.

ETA: One of the reasons DD chose Agnes Scott is because of their dual degree programs with GA Tech. Their guaranteed transfer option for math majors was very attractive to her. She's not sure she wants to be an engineer but she wants the OPTION and this provides it. Admissions for us were *VERY* low stress. There are many ways to play the game. The same is true of med/vet/nursing programs, flight programs, ROTC, etc. All roads lead to the same place.

BOTTOM LINE: Insufficient #s of parents follow the Hive's advice.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 11

45 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I am so sorry, ScoutTN.  That's such a bummer.

I am sure that she will thrive at TNTech.  Is study abroad still the plan?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I’m so sorry 😔. I’m sure that is hard on her and on you (hugs). 

I really do feel like all our kiddos are going to do phenomenal wherever they are planted.

Maybe start getting super excited about dorm shopping, etc. 🤗

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR DORM SHOPPING! WOOT WOOT!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

That’s so hard when a kid has her heart set on something. 
I hope she finds things to be excited about TN Tech. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

HIP HIP HOORAY FOR DORM SHOPPING! WOOT WOOT!

Except that the dorms are not very nice and the roommate-finding situation is confusing at best. It will take her a while to get to the point of being excited about this. 

• Sad 8

33 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I am so sorry, ScoutTN.  That's such a bummer.

I am sure that she will thrive at TNTech.  Is study abroad still the plan?

Yes, study abroad is very affordable. She’ll definitely do a semester. Maybe a summer too? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Except that the dorms are not very nice and the roommate-finding situation is confusing at best. It will take her a while to get to the point of being excited about this. 

Awe, this makes me sad. I hope she has a wonderful time tho!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

So sorry to hear that! I bet the competition was fierce!  There can be so many competing for just one scholarship.  My dd went to a scholarship weekend a few weeks ago, and recently found out she didn't get the scholarship either. 

• Sad 9

19 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Ouch, I am so sorry to hear this.  I hope that time will bring her peace.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 9:43 AM, threedogfarm said:

So sorry to hear that! I bet the competition was fierce!  There can be so many competing for just one scholarship.  My dd went to a scholarship weekend a few weeks ago, and recently found out she didn't get the scholarship either. 

Yes, competition, though not to the degree you’ve described. There were 70 kids and 21 scholarships. 

Dd is a solid student, but not tippy-top. She has excellent ec’s and knows what she wants to study. So she is very like many homeschooled girls from middle TN, their biggest applicant region. It was always a slim chance. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Sad 3

Is transfer an option if she doesn’t end up loving TN Tech? 

So far I have seen kids end up in all sorts of colleges and some in places they never wanted to go, and yet I only know one kid who ended up truly hating his experience (and it was his top choice school). Pretty much all kids no matter where they are seem happy around me. So 🤞 she is pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Is transfer an option if she doesn’t end up loving TN Tech? 

So far I have seen kids end up in all sorts of colleges and some in places they never wanted to go, and yet I only know one kid who ended up truly hating his experience (and it was his top choice school). Pretty much all kids no matter where they are seem happy around me. So 🤞 she is pleasantly surprised. 

Not really, bc we need the four year freshman merit scholarships even at a public university. Those combined with our state’s lottery scholarships cover full tuition, books and fees! Study abroad is very affordable and they even help cover airfare. 

This is her #2 choice, so not a giant disaster. She just got her heart set on a private school that was always a huge financial reach.

Barring some big health or mental health crisis, she’ll have to manage there. It will really be fine. It’s a good school with many strong points. We know kids who are freshman there this year who can give her some newbie-advice. It will be different than what she wanted, more of a stretch in many ways, but I can see that learning experience being very helpful later in her life, after college. 

It is a pretty school in a pretty part of the state, not too big, 90 minutes from home, with a small but solid program in her major plus a good program in music for her minor. Lots of good things! 

Eta: Also more guys than girls, which is a plus for Dd. 😉

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 11

@ScoutTN I know it is hard. All along you have said that was her first choice but it was a long shot and she would need the big scholarship and you were smart and had good safeties. So you were totally realistic while giving it the best shot to make her real dream possible. It’s just hard not to get hopes up. It just takes so much time and effort to pursue those scholarships and so much waiting. You would always wonder if you hadn’t tried but then there is the pain of disappointment. I guess this is how some parents end up taking on more financially than they planned. The disappointment just hits when you are already tired and burned out and it is just a lot. Even though you were totally pragmatic in your process here you are still sitting with some pain. I’m sorry!!! 

Time will take the sting out. But you did a good job getting her through this process exploring her opportunities while having realistic limits and finding safeties that would work for her and be financially solid.  It’s such a hard thing. But you really did such a thorough and thoughtful job. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DS18 just got a fairly sizable academic scholarship to UIUC. Neither of us was expecting that so it was out of the blue. 

He's now talking about buying summer plane tickets and returning in time for UIUC to start. 😃

ETA: UIUC is the University of Illinois flagship - University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign.

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 22

7 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

DS18 just got a fairly sizable academic scholarship to UIUC. Neither of us was expecting that so it was out of the blue. 

He's now talking about buying summer plane tickets and returning in time for UIUC to start. 😃

Emily

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉 congratulations!!!!!

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

DS1 and DS2 - both waitlisted at UVA. 

So...we are official. JMU for DS1 and UMW for DS2 🎉🎉🎉

And to hear some folks tell it, UVA is on its last legs. Congrats! Even making the waitlist in-state is big. Most state kids (and only barely) dream of VA Tech!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

So...we are official. JMU for DS1 and UMW for DS2 🎉🎉🎉

Got them in bold on the list! Congrats!! 🎉🎉🎈🎈❤️🍾😎🎈🎉🎈🎉

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

And to hear some folks tell it, UVA is on its last legs. Congrats! Even making the waitlist in-state is big. Most state kids and only (barely) dream of VA Tech!

Thank you!  Mine refused to even apply to VA Tech for various reasons -- LOL -- and it is way to big for their tastes. Really, they both chose their schools in August when we were touring so it worked out as they wanted.

• Like 5

Just now, mlktwins said:

Thank you!  Mine refused to even apply to VA Tech for various reasons -- LOL -- and it is way to big for their tastes. Really, they both chose their schools in August when we were touring so it worked out as they wanted.

It is BIG!! A colleague has **two** kids there!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Just "liked" this part. Sorry to hear that the other two schools made such a grievous error.

Thank you for this... it's definitely hard on them, and when we also carry the weight of questioning if we did it "right", it's also hard for us not to get sucked into the voices (both in our heads and belonging to others) chattering about the should'as and the could'as. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 3/15/2023 at 8:36 PM, idnib said:

DS found out he was accepted to University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC).

Congrats!! I just got home from there at 11pm last night. My oldest and I decided to take a mini vacation so she could attend an accepted students event for the physics PhD program there. It was such a beautiful campus!! And I know grad school is different than undergrad, but the students and profs all seemed so close-knit and supportive. It's currently in the top 2 for her. 

Congrats to all!! So many great choices for all of your students!! Kudos all around to both parents and students for getting to this major finish line! Wishing them all the best in their new endeavors next fall. 

Edited by Kristini2
  • Like 9

20 minutes ago, rzberrymom said:

DD accepted to UC Santa Barbara.

Not in the major she wanted though (she missed that there were supplements for it). And she doesn’t really like beach/party culture, so I’m not sure what in the world we were thinking. 😂

Same here, only CCS decisions  isn’t out yet. 

• Like 4