Menu

Can we talk about Christmas yet?

alysee

I am getting through my list of presents I have to buy but as usual I have no idea what to get my husband. He buys everything he wants and needs. He is into movies but isn't into sports, alcohol, art or music.

Oh, and did I mention his birthday is a week after Christmas so I really have to think of two gifts. We don't spend much. We usually do a stocking for each other and then a gift of around $50-$100. 

• Like 2

COL crisis here atm - I am thinking it is the perfect time to stop doing Christmas, except for the 10 year old niece!

Every year I just think anew about the madness of the gift giving. Not to celebrate the person, or because you felt moved to gift them, but because it's a particular day of the year. If we are Christian, are we really gifting to celebrate the birth of a Saviour? If we're not, what the heck are we doing?

This probably isn't the Christmas discussion you meant, OP!

(I get that it stimulates the economy...)

• Like 8

My husband too is very hard to buy for. I do like to have some things to open on Christmas morning. But we have always been pretty modest in our gift-giving.  The last few years I've been buying books, mostly used. It doesn't matter much to me if it ever gets read or not. He likes to read, likes books, and I know what he likes, so I buy with confidence. (Also I buy things I'll enjoy too...)

My kids are very hard to buy for now. I miss the days when a new lego or playmobil set will delight them. One of them is a reader and so likes books too. The other... well... a gift box from Ulta or Sephora will delight, and be useful. 

As to why Christmas gifts... I guess we (meaning the people in my house) celebrate a combination of secular and religious Christmas. I mean, we go to church. We know Christ was not born on December 25 so it's a symbolic celebration, but yes, we celebrate the coming into the world of our savior. Giving is part of that. And, well, it can be fun to have a day of giving and receiving gifts - and the gifts can be things bought, or time spent together, or food shared. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

COL crisis here atm - I am thinking it is the perfect time to stop doing Christmas, except for the 10 year old niece!

Every year I just think anew about the madness of the gift giving. Not to celebrate the person, or because you felt moved to gift them, but because it's a particular day of the year. If we are Christian, are we really gifting to celebrate the birth of a Saviour? If we're not, what the heck are we doing?

(I get that it stimulates the economy...)

I think this is an important discussion to have! Hugs, ML!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melissa Louise said:

(I get that it stimulates the 

Personally we don't go overboard with gifts. We give our kids two gifts(1 big and 1 small) and 1 from Santa plus a stocking(think socks, underwear, bath stuff). For my nieces and nephews we only give 1 book to the kids under 16. That's been the rule since my kids were born. 

Edited by alysee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alysee said:

Personally we don't go overboard with gifts. We give our kids two gifts(1 big and 1 small) and 1 from Santa plus a stocking(think socks, underwear, bath stuff). For my nieces and nephews we only give 1 book to the kids under 16. That's been the rule since my kids were born. 

I should mention that my Inlaws, my parents and my aunts/uncles give presents to my kids. They have never felt deprived. My MIL gives the worst gifts but this year my husband spoke with her and we have approved all the gifts so we won't be getting(hopefully) anything ridiculous. 

I sometimes see cool things on social media. Today I saw gloves with built-in lights lol. So you can easily see while using a tool or working over a car. I am thinking of buying for my dad (we aren't doing Christmas gifts but he has a birthday coming up). The social media ad appeared to sell separate gloves (you pick right or left) but I saw something on Amazon with a set of two. One Amazon listing had disposable batteries you replace and the other requires a charger. I just can't figure out if they are practical enough. By the time you need them, will the battery be dead? 

gloves

DH never has a big list, and he has a birthday in late November. I feel the OP's pain. One of the kids has a December birthday, and he is asking for something expensive this year that we are positive he won't use. 🤦‍♀️

For the people on my list that are straightforward, I do enjoy gift giving. I am having a hard time coming up with a list this year--the hobbies I enjoy were on hold a good deal of this year, so I am still using things from the last round of gifts. 

One tradition I have of my own is of finding somewhat novel but practical small $$$ gift for stockings for the adults in the family ($5 is a splurge--usually they are items for just a dollar or two). I already have this year's thanks to the Prime Day thread (rechargeable light bulbs). I am not sure that others have picked up on my tradition, but I get really good feedback about the things I've found most years. Some years people delighted immediately; other years, they look at the gift a bit sideways, but then I get a thanks months later because they are using the item all the time, lol! 

My husband is getting a massage gun. For his birthday not far from Christmas, he is getting cologne. 

The kids need and want new bikes. Anything else I have picked up for them on a whim since the summer is also being wrapped.

One of my sisters has asked to not exchange gifts anymore (the one with the most kids), and I don't buy for people after they graduate with the exception of parents. With a very large family, it had to end somewhere, and that point seemed to make the most sense. 

• Like 1

Something related to one of his favorite movies? There are lots of neat movie-related t-shirts out there. My dad wears the Back to the Future t-shirts I've gotten him all the time! 

My husband is so difficult to buy for. He has everything he wants and needs and I feel like I've given him a lot of flops (although he's never said so himself...). And he has spent a lot of time and effort and money in the past shopping for me (which I love and appreciate) but doesn't really "get" my taste. (Don't quote, please.) 😉 

We just tell each other to spend $100 each now at Christmas and call it good. 🙂 Less stress for both of us.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I usually buy car/atv parts for Christmas for DH as that is what he wants.  I assume it will be one of those again this year.

One year, I bought a coin set for the hard to buy for of the year of their birth.  That apparently was such an awesome gift.  And I have never done another gift for the hard to buy for that went over  well again.

• Like 1

I've got his birthday to get through and then Xmas. I have a t-shirt and a book and will get him something to eat/snack (eg favourite lollies or nuts). That will do for birthday. I will probably do something similar for Xmas - a book, shirt or shorts, and snacks. I got literally zero for my birthday so I don't feel too invested in perfect gifting. 

For the kids, I have already got a couple of stocking stuffers (dice game, rubix cube), and books. Might find some cool t-shirts, and apart from that they want to download a computer game apiece. They will get other gifts from relatives. We do secret santa with relatives, so I will have one or two other things to buy, once that is sorted.

• Like 1

Could you ask him to put a wish list together or put a few things in an amazon cart?  My husband and I are at the age we don't need anything but it's nice to have something to open.  So we'll usually buy the one thing we'd like to have and probably buy any ways but still wrap and put under the tree for fun.  For him its usually big desk calendar he likes to keep at his desk make notes on through the month. If I find something else that he needs or I think he could use I'll get that.   

Edited by lynn
  • Like 2

I've started where I buy something of pure whimsy that makes him laugh or smile.

for his birthday - I bought him a weathervane of a quail (he likes quail).   I had a spot I wanted to put it (it would have been up high, but could still be seen from inside) - he chose to put it in a different place where it could more easily be seen from the house.

last year - i got him a firewood holder for inside (to replace the rubbermaid bin he was using) and a 'boot' tray to go underneath it to catch the bits that fall off.

I told him I darn well wanted that trailer hitch for my suv (that he insisted we don't need - that's why he *borrowed* a truck from someone with a trailer hitch when he rented a wood splitter!) - and a step to insert into it so I could get stuff out of the back!

Sounds like you already found something. But thought I would put this in here for others looking for hubby gifts.

What about an experience? Concert tickets to his favorite artist?

I know back when dh was working and the kids were growing up, I could care less about the mountain of presents he gave me.  I would have given them all away for a weekend away for just the two of us.  

Another thing is maybe the two of you mutually decide to give what you would spend on gifts to a charity.  Now if you husband's love language is gifts, probably not a good idea.  But a thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lynn said:

Could you ask him to put a wish list together or put a few things in an amazon cart?  My husband and I are at the age we don't need anything but it's nice to have something to open.  So we'll usually buy the one thing we'd like to have and probably buy any ways but still wrap and put under the tree for fun.  For him its usually big desk calendar he likes to keep at his desk make notes on through the month. If I find something else that he needs or I think he could use I'll get that.   

I love the wish list idea!

14 hours ago, alysee said:

Does that mean I can wrap up our old one in the shop to give to my husband?  LOL... So funny that so many things we have kept: rotary phones or record albums are now cool again.  

Sorry, not making fun of your gift.  I am sure he will love it.  Just kind of funny to me. 

• Like 1

Sigh. I have four lap quilts to make between now and then plus a set of hot pads and placemats for new dil, Thanksgiving dinner to host, a youth orchestra performance to conduct (just substituting because the conductor fell off a ladder this past weekend and broke his arm in two places which required surgery to fix not to mention dislocated his shoulder - OUCH), so when I get back from Alabama on the 5th,  a rehearsal schedule to add to my calendar, two piano performances of my own, and a family wedding all sandwiched in there. I feel tired already, and I am still prepping for our grandsons' Halloween party.

I am planning on a restive coma following the Christmas Eve Smorrebrod that I put on for the family. 😀

• Like 2