Menu

Bivalent vaccine?

sangtarah

30 minutes ago, She Travels said:

Yes, the only thing I have to make me know that the vaccine does not prevent infection is the entire country of Denmark acknowledging that fact. It’s not like I have ever seen anyone that has been vaccinated and boosted go on to actually get Covid. The many world leaders around the world that pushed the vaccine—Biden, Harris, Macron, Boris johnson, Macron, Jacinda Ardern, it’s not like they ever got Covid after being vaccinated and boosted. The health leaders that told us vaccines would prevent spread—Fauci, Becerra, Bourla have avoided Covid because they were vaccinated. And the numerous Hollywood elites and politicians that were double, triple, and quadruple jabbed — all managed to escape the virus. Oh, wait…

I think that vaccine is not an absolute wall against propagating the virus. However, it can reduce the viral load -- and the viral load is important to how sick the next person gets. It can also reduce the time course of the infection, so that you are infectious for a shorter amount of time. It can also reduce your chance of getting the virus, even if not eliminating the possibility of getting it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, She Travels said:

Yes, the only thing I have to make me know that the vaccine does not prevent infection is the entire country of Denmark acknowledging that fact. 

If a bunch of other countries that are EVEN BIGGER than Denmark recommended boosters for all adults, would that convince you that boosters were a great idea, or is Denmark somehow uniquely positioned to make the correct call here? 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, kokotg said:

If a bunch of other countries that are EVEN BIGGER than Denmark recommended boosters for all adults, would that convince you that boosters were a great idea, or is Denmark somehow uniquely positioned to make the correct call here? 

Nope. Sorry. It's all about Denmark. 

As goes Denmark, so goes the world.

🤣🤪😂🤣🤪😂

(Or, you know, maybe Denmark was the only country she could find that supported her "facts.")

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Preprint of a study published last month on the effect of vaccination on transmission rates in prisons:

"Using detailed epidemiologic data from SARS-CoV-2 surveillance within the California state prison system, we found that vaccination and prior infection reduced the infectiousness of Omicron variant SARS-CoV-2 infections. Vaccination and prior infection were each associated with comparable reductions in infectiousness during SARS-CoV-2 infection, and notably, additional doses of vaccination (e.g., booster doses) against SARS-CoV-2 and more recent vaccination led to greater reductions in infectiousness. Of note, reductions in transmission risk associated with prior vaccination and infection were found to be additive, indicating an incremental benefit of vaccination for reducing cases’ infectiousness even after prior infection."

They found that at least one dose of vaccine was associated with a 24% reduction in transmission, and each additional dose further reduced transmission by another 6%.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.08.08.22278547v2

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Preprint of a study published last month on the effect of vaccination on transmission rates in prisons:

"Using detailed epidemiologic data from SARS-CoV-2 surveillance within the California state prison system, we found that vaccination and prior infection reduced the infectiousness of Omicron variant SARS-CoV-2 infections. Vaccination and prior infection were each associated with comparable reductions in infectiousness during SARS-CoV-2 infection, and notably, additional doses of vaccination (e.g., booster doses) against SARS-CoV-2 and more recent vaccination led to greater reductions in infectiousness. Of note, reductions in transmission risk associated with prior vaccination and infection were found to be additive, indicating an incremental benefit of vaccination for reducing cases’ infectiousness even after prior infection."

They found that at least one dose of vaccine was associated with a 24% reduction in transmission, and each additional dose further reduced transmission by another 6%.

Yes, that's all well and good, but what does Denmark have to say about this? 😉 

• Haha 7

Iirc, Denmark has been sequencing most if not all Covid cases which makes their data important to other countries. Not sure if they are still doing this.

What makes Covid so difficult is that its incubation period has become shorter from the original virus to omicron. A short incubation period means that without a rapid, robust mucosal response to tamp down infection—what you’d get with something like a nasal vaccine—the immune response will lag a bit before it recognizes the virus and makes antibodies, etc. So, technically the vaccine does not necessarily prevent infection but it does help produce a good immune response eventually which fights off the infection.

If mucosal vaccines end up working, they could be a game changer. Their problem tends to be durability, how long they are effective.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Keep in mind also that prisoners are around each other far more than most non-prisoners are around others. Prison is also a stressful place to be. So in effect, the vaccines are doing a pretty good job.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 2

I mentioned that my shot was cancelled (Moderna). The pharmacy sent me a text saying they had Moderna back in and to reschedule. I immediately got on the site--there isn't any Moderna anywhere reasonably close. Other vaccine sites either don't let me choose, don't have it, or have it in a really out of the way location (and we're meeting ourselves coming and going with medical appointments that are super spread out--some days I take my child to multiple locations in the same hospital system in one day, before, after, and during school hours).

Just get Pfizer and get it done, or hold out for Moderna? I've had all Pfizer so far, but I really wanted a higher dose. Sigh.

25 hours since my booster and flu shots. So far, so good 🤞

I had to go to a different pharmacy than my usual, and they were sooo busy. Lots of people like myself with appointments, and lots of people just dropping in for shots. The pharmacist said not all the medical offices have gotten their boosters in yet so it’s been non-stop. Obviously, she was glad so many people are getting it! 

• Like 3

I found that the vaccines.gov website, which is what I used to find the original shots and boosters, is really incomplete these days and does not include a lot of places that do have vaccines available. I had to go on individual websites for Walgreens, CVS, Kroger, Costco, etc., and go through the whole registration process just to see if they had appointments available.

The earliest appointment I could find for DD was Pfizer at CVS next Tuesday, and the only Moderna appointment I could find for myself was October 4th at Costco. Moderna was definitely much harder to find, and I feel really lucky to have snagged the last available appointment at Costco.

DS's university is urging students to get boosted, but their process is really unclear. They are doing vaccinations one morning and one afternoon per week and claim to take walk-ins while also urging students to make appointments. But if you go to the portal to make an appointment, there are none available for the next month. So DS is going to try to to get one as a walk-in on Friday. If that doesn't work I think he's going to have to Uber back and forth to a CVS somewhere far from campus because there aren't any appointments available at any of the close ones.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

DS's university is urging students to get boosted, but their process is really unclear. They are doing vaccinations one morning and one afternoon per week and claim to take walk-ins while also urging students to make appointments. But if you go to the portal to make an appointment, there are none available for the next month. So DS is going to try to to get one as a walk-in on Friday. If that doesn't work I think he's going to have to Uber back and forth to a CVS somewhere far from campus because there aren't any appointments available at any of the close ones.

My oldest kid is being very blasé about getting a booster; his college claims they'll be having vaccine clinics on campus before fall break, and he wants to wait for that. My college freshman, on the other hand, was very ready to jump on the bus and go to a CVS as soon as I found him an appointment; he's a clarinet major so can't stay masked all the time, and he's already had a ton of stuff disrupted by assorted students and profs having covid. 

Feeling very lucky to have snagged a Moderna early on now! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

The earliest appointment I could find for DD was Pfizer at CVS next Tuesday, and the only Moderna appointment I could find for myself was October 4th at Costco. Moderna was definitely much harder to find, and I feel really lucky to have snagged the last available appointment at Costco.

My Moderna appointment was cancelled on me at the last minute. I hope you are able to keep yours. With the additional article that @mommyoffive posted, I suspect I will end up with Pfizer instead of waiting. I was notified that they were making new Moderna appointments at CVS (where I originally scheduled), but even after trying to reschedule immediately, nothing showed up. I was already driving 20+ minutes away to get the shot that I had scheduled, and I am not sure I want to drive to an even more obscure site only to have another appointment get cancelled.

• Sad 3

Ooh, looks like maybe I was too early last night? There are very limited spots today at a closer CVS, and I snagged one for me and one for DS. At least if this one gets cancelled, I won't have wasted a bunch of time waiting days for the appointment, lol!

I hope DH can get one eventually, but his work schedule is a challenge. He's had Moderna all along. 

• Like 3

2/5 in person seminars cancelled this week in my department without explanation, plus a HVAC company rescheduled our maintenance appointment twice on short notice due to illness among their staff (and the lady on the phone was coughing her lungs out). The new normal. Yet nobody wears masks...Even if you don't worry about long covid or serious illness - how is this an acceptable new normal?! It is not even flu season yet.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

So, two of us successfully got our Moderna boosters! My arm is a little sore--the shot was not bad at all, but it also wasn't like some that I didn't really feel. I think it was placed a little higher than I would've preferred. DS went to bed early, but he was exhausted before his booster.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

It took me a full week to get past the exhaustion from this vaccine. The exhaustion made anything else going on in my life worse so it was a pretty bad week. Thankfully, I am past it.

Pfizer or Moderna?  I'm glad you are past it now.

• Like 1

Got my booster!  I didn't even feel it going in - that's a first!  The guy who gave it to me said, when I asked him, that he was known for having a 'gentle touch' with the needles.  Let us hope that is a good sign!  In the past all I've had was a sore arm for two days, so if I can avoid that...

Dh had his last week and didn't report any side effects.  Both of us got Moderna this go-round.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Well those are pretty depressing statistics 😔. So much for those hoping for “natural immunity”. It doesn’t appear there is any way to reach herd immunity with this disease. Unless we somehow got transmission down extremely low so it couldn’t keep mutating to evade antibodies. I don’t see that happening though. 

• Sad 3

I had the bivalent Moderna on 9/17.  Within about 6-8 hours I was feeling a little crummy and my arm/shoulder was really sore.  I had restless sleep that night (common for me with the vaccines) and felt a little run down with some swollen glands the next few days, but nothing that kept me down.  It's also ragweed season here, so I could be attributing some allergy symptoms to the vaccine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1