Menu

I might have discovered a new option for my TV watching pleasure...but I need more...

ProudGrandma

I am mostly a TV series kind of person.  I figured if I was going to put time and energy into learning characters and plots, I wanted to watch something longer than just one movie....and often even more than just 1 or 2 seasons of a show.  But I was running out of shows I wanted to watch on Hulu, Prime and even some of the Prime subscriptions. 

In order for me to watch the latest season of Heartland, I had to subscribe to Up, Faith and Family.  I finished Heartland quickly, so I wanted to watch some other things during the month I paid for.  I stumbled onto a movie that is actually one of 7 movies...so that is kind of like a TV series.  I am watching #2 right now....and if they are all as good, I will finish the 7.  

So, my question is, might there be other movie series that I might find equally entertaining?  I like wholesome, family stories that aren't too mushy or predictable.  I also like things like Gilmore Girls or Parenthood.  Those types of shows.  I like medical dramas as well. 

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Well you can't just tell us that without telling us what that 7-movie series is!😉 I really enjoyed Detectorists (sp?). It does have a few things that I wouldn't want little kids to see, but it was a fun, quirky show. You wonder why this show about two guys who like to metal detect together would draw you in, but it does!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOVED the Crown: yes, not all of the dialogue is accurate, but the show follows history from 1952 to current times. Really good. Especially the first two seasons I like the actress who plays the queen, but season 3 and 4 are outstanding for other reasons. It's Netflix. You might try a free week if they offer that.

Same with Call the Midwife: get through the first two episodes and you get hooked.

Schitt's Creek: the first season is boring. Just watch it for story line, and then season 2 and on so good.

I'm probably not helping. I just had to rave about these shows.

14 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Well you can't just tell us that without telling us what that 7-movie series is!😉 I really enjoyed Detectorists (sp?). It does have a few things that I wouldn't want little kids to see, but it was a fun, quirky show. You wonder why this show about two guys who like to metal detect together would draw you in, but it does!

it's the Love Comes Softly movie series.   Where will I find the Detectorists? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

LOVED the Crown: yes, not all of the dialogue is accurate, but the show follows history from 1952 to current times. Really good. Especially the first two seasons I like the actress who plays the queen, but season 3 and 4 are outstanding for other reasons. It's Netflix. You might try a free week if they offer that.

Same with Call the Midwife: get through the first two episodes and you get hooked.

Schitt's Creek: the first season is boring. Just watch it for story line, and then season 2 and on so good.

I'm probably not helping. I just had to rave about these shows.

I tried Call the Midwife...but I didn't watch the first 2 shows....so I will try that again...and why did you continue with Schitt's creek if the first season was boring....I would have dumped it...so now I guess, I better try it....

Have you watched Virgin River? Just finished that. 

I was out shopping today and I saw a lady in line at the checkout who looked exactly like Hope (a character from the series). Went to a different store, and the guy checking out my groceries looked just like another character, Preacher. I mean these people were their twins. That was very odd. Didn’t see anyone that looked like Jack!! 😉

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I don’t know if it’s on any of your platforms, but we really enjoyed “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”. We watched it with our then 14 yo and she loved it. It wasn’t too saccharine, but it was wholesome.

We loved this too, lots of movies right? We ordered the dvds from the library 

21 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

I tried Call the Midwife...but I didn't watch the first 2 shows....so I will try that again...and why did you continue with Schitt's creek if the first season was boring....I would have dumped it...so now I guess, I better try it....

Have you watched All Creatures Great and Small from Masterpiece? Schitt’s Creek gets so, so much better. I actually once started a thread here asking if it got better, after it got so much positive press and the show had ended. I ended up absolutely loving it.

Have you ever watched Greek? It’s on Hulu now. Also, Love Victor. I also enjoyed the new series, Abbott Elementary.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, scholastica said:

I don’t know if it’s on any of your platforms, but we really enjoyed “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”. We watched it with our then 14 yo and she loved it. It wasn’t too saccharine, but it was wholesome.

I have seen it as an option, but never tried it....I will check it out too.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Frances said:

Have you watched All Creatures Great and Small from Masterpiece? Schitt’s Creek gets so, so much better. I actually once started a thread here asking if it got better, after it got so much positive press and the show had ended. I ended up absolutely loving it.

Have you ever watched Greek? It’s on Hulu now. Also, Love Victor. I also enjoyed the new series, Abbott Elementary.

which All Creatures...the original...or the newer version?  i haven't seen either one.  I haven't seen Greek, Love Victor or Abbott Elementary.  Adding those to my list.  Thanks. 

We love the new All creatures (both seasons, with a 3rd season coming in 2023).
   You can watch it all for PBS' Passport ($5 per month), or Amazon Prime (I think).
    Our library bought the DVD sets.

The Detectorists is on Hoopla Digital, a common streaming service offered free to most public library patrons.

I tend to binge during the first month (or free trial) of a streaming service, and then move on.

Only Murders in our Building (on Hulu) is rated MA, but I loved the Selma Gomez/Steve Martin/Martin Short combo.

Edited by Beth S

24 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Have you watched Virgin River? Just finished that. 

I was out shopping today and I saw a lady in line at the checkout who looked exactly like Hope (a character from the series). Went to a different store, and the guy checking out my groceries looked just like another character, Preacher. I mean these people were their twins. That was very odd. Didn’t see anyone that looked like Jack!! 😉

yes, I did watch Virgin River.  I did enjoy that one.  

1 hour ago, kfeusse said:

it's the Love Comes Softly movie series.   Where will I find the Detectorists? 

I had a feeling you were going to say Love Comes Softly. The storyline in the shows are so different from the book series, but I still liked it. 

I have “Christy” on DVD. You’d like that one. Your library might have it.

2 hours ago, kfeusse said:

Where will I find the Detectorists? 

I'm pretty sure I saw it on Prime after we stopped Netflix. I just looked it up--some of it is free, some is free with ads, and it looks like there might be a small charge for one season. (I didn't look long enough to tell for sure.) It is just three seasons long.

2 hours ago, kfeusse said:

which All Creatures...the original...or the newer version?  i haven't seen either one.  I haven't seen Greek, Love Victor or Abbott Elementary.  Adding those to my list.  Thanks. 

The newer version. I’m really enjoying it.

The Australian "version" of Parenthood is Offspring. Or maybe they aren't versions, but they are quite similar in tone and style. Offspring isn't quite 'wholesome'. It's got sex, and sometimes sex between people who shouldn't be sleeping with one another, so it's a bit more edgy than Gilmore Girls.

You might like to see if you can find Outnumbered. It is a comedy that ran for many seasons about a middle-class British family muddling through child-rearing. There might be a bit of swearing? And I'm sure there are extramarital relationships mentioned.

Edited by Laura Corin

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

You might like to see if you can find Outnumbered. It is a comedy that ran for many seasons about a middle-class British family muddling through child-rearing. There might be a bit of swearing? And I'm sure there are extramarital relationships mentioned.

This was going to be my recommendation too. I haven’t watched the whole series but lots of snippets. They are really funny and relatable, plus the kids are super sweet.

9 hours ago, bolt. said:

The Australian "version" of Parenthood is Offspring. Or maybe they aren't versions, but they are quite similar in tone and style. Offspring isn't quite 'wholesome'. It's got sex, and sometimes sex between people who shouldn't be sleeping with one another, so it's a bit more edgy than Gilmore Girls.

I will check Offspring out.  thanks. 

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I will check that one out too.  thanks. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kfeusse said:

Because somebody told me exactly what I've said here, just fold laundry or whatever and keep an eye on season one then in season two it really picks up.

Edited by Alicia64
spelling

17 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Because somebody told me exactly what I've said here, just fold laundry or whatever and keep an eye on season one then in season two it really picks up.

good to know.  I know my daughter watches it....but I couldn't for the life of me understand why based on my 1st episode experience.  I guess I always figured if the show didn't grab we right away, I wasn't going to waste my time.  I better start learning to give some shows a better chance...or I might miss something really good, huh?  thanks. 

• Haha 1

Spoiler for Schitts Creek…..

the last episode was HORRIBLE. They were trying desperately to wrap everything up and failed. Also, the plot line where someone has a massage and the ensuing result was COMPLETELY out of character for a couple who claimed to be in love, to say nothing of  being monogamous.