Menu

Stolen Facebook photos

Elizabeth86

Was it reposted to a person’s account or a business account / used for marketing?  If it was used by a business for marketing, I could comment and message them it needs to be taken down - posted without permission. 

I really don’t feel like anything posted to FB is private, tbh.  

• Like 2

Just now, footballmom said:

Was it reposted to a person’s account or a business account / used for marketing?  If it was used by a business for marketing, I could comment and message them it needs to be taken down - posted without permission. 

I really don’t feel like anything posted to FB is private, tbh.  

Not a business exactly, hmmm well, how about a county fair. lol I know this is a really bizarre post.

6 minutes ago, footballmom said:

How does your mom feel about it? if she’s unhappy about it, she should reach out to the fair and let them know they didn’t have permission to use it and to take it down. 

Ok, so can the fair take the picture down? I don't like it because you can kind of see my kids cropped out of it and really I don't like that my niece has any of our pictures on Facebook.

3 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Ok, so can the fair take the picture down? I don't like it because you can kind of see my kids cropped out of it and really I don't like that my niece has any of our pictures on Facebook.

For community events, there is sometimes the disclaimer that photos would be taken and used for their social media accounts. However, they typically remove the photos if someone object due to privacy concerns.

However, they should not be using a photo your niece posted unless she hashtag the event. 

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

You know, I get where you are coming from. We don't post pics on social media. Actually, we don't even have FB. (Well, technically DH has an account for a very PT job. It is only used for that job.) We've asked people not to post us/our kids. 

But, DH and I both know that in this day and age, keeping anyone completely off social media is a losing battle. If you are in public, your picture might be taken. Heck, just yesterday the kids and I were watching an animal cam at a zoo on the other side of the country. It slightly creeped me out that you could see people visiting the zoo in the corner as they watched the animal. 

But, that's life in 2022. So, while I'd kindly let niece know how we feel, I also wouldn't get too upset if my kids are small/not the focus of the picture (unless she was pointing out there presence). 

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For community events, there is sometimes the disclaimer that photos would be taken and used for their social media accounts. However, they typically remove the photos if someone object due to privacy concerns.

However, they should not be using a photo your niece posted unless she hashtag the event. 

It was not at the fair though. The pic was taken at Christmas at my mom’s house.

2 minutes ago, barnwife said:

You know, I get where you are coming from. We don't post pics on social media. Actually, we don't even have FB. (Well, technically DH has an account for a very PT job. It is only used for that job.) We've asked people not to post us/our kids. 

But, DH and I both know that in this day and age, keeping anyone completely off social media is a losing battle. If you are in public, your picture might be taken. Heck, just yesterday the kids and I were watching an animal cam at a zoo on the other side of the country. It slightly creeped me out that you could see people visiting the zoo in the corner as they watched the animal. 

But, that's life in 2022. So, while I'd kindly let niece know how we feel, I also wouldn't get too upset if my kids are small/not the focus of the picture (unless she was pointing out there presence). 

The pic wasn't taken in public though.

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

It was not at the fair though. The pic was taken at Christmas at my mom’s house.

That’s weird. You should message the person (not your niece) to remove the photo. It is not like your niece submitted the photo for a competition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Was the image a profile or cover photo? If not, she can hide it by making her audience "friends only." They shouldn't be able to see her albums. 

I have no idea. I just know it was her pic because she and I stood side by side and took the same pics at Christmas and they aren't mine so they came from her.

Legally, photographer has ownership of the photo. If it was a photo you took, the easiest thing (if you have already messaged the fair and they refused to remove it) is to report it to Facebook for copyright infringement and have them take it down.

Your mom could also ask the fair to take it down since she is the subject of the photo. They would be more likely to honor her direct request than that of a family member.

Past that, there are legal routes one could go but probably more expensive and more trouble than it is worth for most people.

• Like 1

Just now, TexasProud said:

AHHH.  Ok, I got it now.  How strange.  I thought the niece stole the photo off of YOUR page. 

Sorry for the confusion. It's odd, but my mom has gone viral for her fair winnings and she isn't on the internet in any way so people are trying to find the mystery lady. Lol

• Like 2

So, it’s sounds like two issues: letting your niece know she should ask you before posting pictures that include you, your spouse and your children; two, reporting the picture to FB and asking the fair to remove the photo (which it sounds like you’ve done).  Hope they take it down! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, footballmom said:

So, it’s sounds like two issues: letting your niece know she should ask you before posting pictures that include you, your spouse and your children; two, reporting the picture to FB and asking the fair to remove the photo (which it sounds like you’ve done).  Hope they take it down! 

I've poked around but I can't really find the option to report a stolen picture. I'm contacting the fair tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Sorry for the confusion. It's odd, but my mom has gone viral for her fair winnings and she isn't on the internet in any way so people are trying to find the mystery lady. Lol

Lol, I found the page, and the comments about your mom all the way down the whole fb page are hilarious. On the other hand, I’m the same way about pictures so I don’t blame you. I didn’t see it on there for what it’s worth (i’m viewing as a public viewer though, not as a Facebook member, if that matters). I don’t want to say anything specific so as not to lead all of her adoring fans to this site, but she must be a whiz in her field! I hope your mom isn’t upset about her newfound fame and popularity.

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

I found another FB.  This is so cute. @Elizabeth86 you should share her name so everyone can see the story.  It is so cute and heartwarming. The world needs this right now.

That would lead all the world who is searching for her to this thread and this board, so it seems better as a PM or for people who are interested to just do their own search. It is very cute though. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I found the story but not the photo yet.  So cool.  I don’t understand why you can’t just enjoy the amazing story you mom has generated. 

The story is fine, but if she is private and does not want her image online. Most comments are fine, but some people have said ugly things.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, KSera said:

Lol, I found the page, and the comments about your mom all the way down the whole fb page are hilarious. On the other hand, I’m the same way about pictures so I don’t blame you. I didn’t see it on there for what it’s worth (i’m viewing as a public viewer though, not as a Facebook member, if that matters). I don’t want to say anything specific so as not to lead all of her adoring fans to this site, but she must be a whiz in her field! I hope your mom isn’t upset about her newfound fame and popularity.

She's handling it fine, but we aren't loving people stealing personal pics.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

She's handling it fine, but we aren't loving people stealing personal pics.

I am sorry it bothers you.  I think the ship has sailed though.  It will die down soon.  The bigger deal you make of it now the more likely someone else will go looking for a photo of her.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I urge you to have her (and you, if applicable) keep privacy settings that don’t allow random strangers access to photos. 

sure, nothing is truly safe but it helps to have posts and albums set to “friends only” or a custom list. 

Yeah, I have no photos on my Facebook page.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, Elizabeth86 said:

is there anything you can do about it? What if your niece has a picture of your mom on her Facebook and someone takes it posts it somewhere. I can't figure out what to do about it.

I just saw that your mom is going to be in a radio show tomorrow morning…. Is this true? How exciting …. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Please someone PM me. I'm dying to know and I'm dumb.... 

22 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

me too 😬

20 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I don't like that we're both dumb but I do like that we're in it together! 👯‍♀️

I want to know, too! I feel like such an idiot because so many people seem to have found it on their own! I'm glad to know that you two smart women haven't figured it out yet, either!!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I want to know, too! I feel like such an idiot because so many people seem to have found it on their own! I'm glad to know that you two smart women haven't figured it out yet, either!!!

PM you too. I searched by baking and fair.