Menu

S/O Monkeypox news & polio news

Arcadia

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I'm curious what the messaging is on combating it in other countries experiencing this outbreak. It seems like there should be a happy medium on messaging that can make a real difference. With Covid, we knew that behaviors needed to change for awhile to try to prevent spread and more deaths, and as huge as the monkeypox outbreak now is, it still seems like it could be reigned in with a month or two of more cautious behaviors. I feel like instead, absolutely everything is being banked on the vaccine, which we just don't have enough of yet, but we should in a couple months hopefully (if it hasn't grown so big by then that the amount expected is no longer enough). Obviously sexual behaviors can't be controlled the way shutting things down was able to be done early in covid,  but people could be strongly urged to pick one partner and be monogamous until this dies down and/or the vaccine is plentiful. Instead I'm hearing, "We're not saying don't have sex, have as much sex with as many people as you want, just do it safely," and I don't think that's going to slow this down at all with that messaging, unfortunately. Particularly messages about clothes needing to be worn right now at large parties and dances seems like it should really be stressed. I've seen it in the official guidelines, but not in any PSAs.

eta: I know some people are thinking "This isn't an STI" and while that appears to be true in a strict sense, sexual behaviors are how it is currently doing the vast majority of spreading, which is why I'm talking about messaging specifically related to that. As long as those behaviors remain just the same, this will continue to spread rapidly and there will be no hope of reigning it in and it will become an endemic disease here. I don't think avoiding saying that is doing anyone any favors. (I do see that being said in many places, but in others there is a big effort to focus on airborne spread instead, and currently, that just isn't how this is usually spreading. If it were, it would be spread throughout all kinds of populations by now, rather than remaining concentrated.)

Edited by KSera
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, KSera said:

eta: I know some people are thinking "This isn't an STI" and while that appears to be true in a strict sense, sexual behaviors are how it is currently doing the vast majority of spreading, which is why I'm talking about messaging specifically related to that. As long as those behaviors remain just the same, this will continue to spread rapidly and there will be no hope of reigning it in and it will become an endemic disease here. I don't think avoiding saying that is doing anyone any favors. (I do see that being said in many places, but in others there is a big effort to focus on airborne spread instead, and currently, that just isn't how this is usually spreading. If it were, it would be spread throughout all kinds of populations by now, rather than remaining concentrated.)

I'm thinking of huge events like Lollapalooza, Burning Man, Sturgis...Burning Man will probably be the worst with more skin-to skin and sexual contact but I wouldn't be surprised if massive crowds, porta-potties etc make for super spreader events via all modes of transmission.

I'd also love to see messaging on prevention from other countries, since the CDC does such an abysmal job.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

Do we know if monkeypox is contagious before the development of sores or other symptoms? It seems like it's primarily the lesions themselves that spread the disease?

In a newsletter I received:

• Monkeypox is contagious from the time symptoms start until the rash has entirely healed and a new layer of skin has formed. This can be several weeks. If you do get sick with Monkeypox, isolate at home, away from other people (and pets) you live with.

and the same on the CDC page: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/clinicians/clinical-recognition.html

Persons with monkeypox will develop an early set of symptoms (prodrome). A person may sometimes be contagious during this period.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Does anyone have any suggestions on protecting our college kids? L's college does a good job with COVID (vax required, test to get on campus, masking, regular testing). L has a single room and has an air purifier, but will be sharing a bathroom and, of course, laundry facilities.  

31 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on protecting our college kids? L's college does a good job with COVID (vax required, test to get on campus, masking, regular testing). L has a single room and has an air purifier, but will be sharing a bathroom and, of course, laundry facilities.  

My oldest is the person most concerned about catching it. They are particularly concerned about sitting on public transit, which I don’t have a good answer for except wearing long pants and washing clothes once home. I think continuing  to mask in the laundry facilities is prudent and not hanging out in there while waiting. If L is concerned about the shared bathroom, a wipe down of the seat with a disinfectant wipe each time is an idea, but if they supply paper seat covers, that seems like it would be sufficient with this. At this point, it seems like those measures would be sufficient. I don’t know if that will change as it continues to spread though. 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The second-to-last document has the best description of how monkeypox spreads that I've seen so far in public health guidance. Includes multiple routes of transmission, with body fluids in the first sentence and sex specifically mentioned. I'd probably revise and tweak the order but at least they've included the relevant info. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

Do we know if monkeypox is contagious before the development of sores or other symptoms? It seems like it's primarily the lesions themselves that spread the disease?

I don't think we know enough about transmission yet, but I read that sores in the mouth may contribute to respiratory spread. 

5 hours ago, KSera said:

As long as those behaviors remain just the same, this will continue to spread rapidly and there will be no hope of reigning it in and it will become an endemic disease here.

Yes, I have to say it seems like an easier one to quarantine and contain and yet? There was an interview with an Australian who flew to a certain area to take part in some kind of big festival, knowing there was monkeypox there, and has come back with monkeypox. I mean - really? 

I keep thinking though how it reminds me of early covid days, when the news would tell you about this positive person who went to a restaurant, and then a bar, and a movie, and then a party . . . and you were like, wow, what a life! Now I'm reading "I caught monkeypox at a clothes-optional dancing get-together at a camping festival over the weekend" and all I can think is "I spent the whole weekend catching up on the washing". 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, bookbard said:

"I caught monkeypox at a clothes-optional dancing get-together at a camping festival over the weekend"

Yeah, this is the kind of thing that seems like it would be easy to avoid right now and a no brainer, just like big weddings and such were early in the pandemic. I mean, people missed funerals due to Covid, seems like clothing optional festivals could be on hold for a little while right now. I don’t think that needs to be stigmatizing. 

• Like 4

I’m seeing that there might be spread before lesions but there are usually symptoms like fever or swollen glands etc? I’m not sure if the contact tracing is really good enough at this point for them to know.  UKs last technical report said only 8pc of cases were linked by contact tracing.

43 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m seeing that there might be spread before lesions but there are usually symptoms like fever or swollen glands etc?

I think the problem would be fever and swollen lymph nodes are symptoms for so many different issues from allergies to tonsillitis to others. I am thinking people would think similar to chickenpox, no lesions and just fever or swollen glands and they would be guessing whatever flu bug or similar illnesses instead of chickenpox. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I think the problem would be fever and swollen lymph nodes are symptoms for so many different issues from allergies to tonsillitis to others. I am thinking people would think similar to chickenpox, no lesions and just fever or swollen glands and they would be guessing whatever flu bug or similar illnesses instead of chickenpox. 

Yep I agree!

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I'm scared as all get out that the kid from my community are going to bring it back here (and other Orthodox Jewish communities) when they come back from camp. The private schools here claim everyone needs to be vaccinated but I'm pretty sure some aren't. The spread is in the "upstate" communities in NY where many Orthodox Jews summer and go to camp. 

• Sad 6

@YaelAldrich (ETA: @Ausmumof3 the portion I bolded is scary)

https://apnews.com/article/covid-science-health-climate-and-environment-new-york-city-70185547b47eece66cc8e3347ecc1e44
“So far, only one person has tested positive for polio — an unvaccinated adult in Rockland County who suffered paralysis.

But based on earlier polio outbreaks, “New Yorkers should know that for every one case of paralytic polio observed, there may be hundreds of other people infected,” the state’s health commissioner, Dr. Mary T. Bassett, said in a statement.

… The polio patient in Rockland County is the first person known to be infected with the virus in the U.S. in nearly a decade. Wastewater samples collected in June and July in adjacent Orange County also contained the virus.

A majority of people infected with polio have no symptoms, but can still shed the virus and give it to others for days or weeks. A small percentage of people who get the disease suffer paralysis. The disease is fatal for between 5-10% of those paralyzed.

… All school children in New York are required to have a polio vaccine, but enforcement of vaccination rules in some areas can be lax. Rockland and Orange counties are both known as centers of vaccine resistance. Statewide, about 79% of have completed their polio vaccination series by age two. In Orange County, that rate is 59%. In Rockland it is 60%.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Sad 4

• Arcadia changed the title to S/O Monkeypox news & polio news
28 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'm scared as all get out that the kid from my community are going to bring it back here (and other Orthodox Jewish communities) when they come back from camp. The private schools here claim everyone needs to be vaccinated but I'm pretty sure some aren't. The spread is in the "upstate" communities in NY where many Orthodox Jews summer and go to camp. 

Yeah I can imagine that feels a bit close to home. How reliable is the polio vax? If an outbreak happens are a percentage of vaxed at risk or is it close to 100pc. Is there any waning over time?

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

. How reliable is the polio vax? If an outbreak happens are a percentage of vaxed at risk or is it close to 100pc. Is there any waning over time?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/hcp/effectiveness-duration-protection.html
“Duration of Protection

It is not known how long people who received IPV will be immune to poliovirus, but they are most likely protected for many years after a complete series of IPV.”

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/public/index.html

“Most adults do not need polio vaccine because they were already vaccinated as children. But three groups of adults are at higher risk and should consider polio vaccination in the following situations:

• You are traveling to a country where the risk of getting polio is greater. Ask your healthcare provider for specific information on whether you need to be vaccinated.
  • You are working in a laboratory and handling specimens that might contain polioviruses.
  • You are a healthcare worker treating patients who could have polio or have close contact with a person who could be infected with poliovirus.

Adults in these three groups who have never been vaccinated against polio should get 3 doses of IPV:

• The first dose at any time,
  • The second dose 1 to 2 months later,
  • The third dose 6 to 12 months after the second.

Adults in these three groups who have had 1 or 2 doses of polio vaccine in the past should get the remaining 1 or 2 doses. It doesn’t matter how long it has been since the earlier dose(s).

Adults who are at increased risk of exposure to poliovirus and who have previously completed a routine series of polio vaccine (IPV or OPV) can receive one lifetime booster dose of IPV.”

• Like 3

@Ausmumof3

https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/contents/vaccine-preventable-diseases/poliomyelitis

• routine booster vaccination in adults at higher risk of exposure to polio, such as healthcare workers and laboratory workers who may have contact with polio cases or poliovirus, and travellers to areas or countries where polio is epidemicor endemic
  • vaccination of adults who have never received polio vaccine

Who
Vaccination is recommended every 10 years for adults at higher risk of exposure to polio.

Why

The Western Pacific region, including Australia, was declared polio-free in 2000. However, wild poliovirus from endemic countries can still be imported, and vaccination must continue until polio is eradicated around the world.“

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

To add to the discussion of pre-symptomatic spread, a report by Alex Meshkin who runs a company doing monkeypox and covid testing. 

I personally do not see how this will not spread on college campuses, other institutional settings and daycares/elementary schools (even regular school via gym class). I don't like the comparison to the AIDS pandemic in the msn article above - that can't be spread via touching someone, or someone's clothing, or public transport, or a gym mat, or respiratory secretions. We had a chance to contain this with very strong public messaging (the opposite of the "it's mild" and "low risk" for the general population spiel that we got!), but it's too late now (and once it reaches rodents, it's game over anyway). My guess is they will realize soon they can't rely on Jynneos (other countries moved faster to contract for new doses but even with quicker action, I don't see how we could have procured enough to rely on a vaccination-only strategy, which seems to have been their goal). My guess - in light of an outbreak across the general population, they may make ACAM2000 optional or recommended for certain groups at risk.

• Like 3

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-04/most-of-africa-s-monkeypox-cases-are-from-household-transmission

The rise of monkeypox cases in Africa, the only continent where the infectious disease is endemic, is coming from household transmission rather than primarily from men who have sex with men, according to the World Health Organization.

Only about 60% of the current cases in Africa are in men and the pattern of recent cases on the continent is different from elsewhere, Patrick Otim, WHO Africa’s health emergency officer, said in a briefing Thursday.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bookbard said:

Yes, I have to say it seems like an easier one to quarantine and contain and yet? There was an interview with an Australian who flew to a certain area to take part in some kind of big festival, knowing there was monkeypox there, and has come back with monkeypox. I mean - really? 

I keep thinking though how it reminds me of early covid days, when the news would tell you about this positive person who went to a restaurant, and then a bar, and a movie, and then a party . . . and you were like, wow, what a life! Now I'm reading "I caught monkeypox at a clothes-optional dancing get-together at a camping festival over the weekend" and all I can think is "I spent the whole weekend catching up on the washing". 

I don’t find it surprising, given the messaging.
Of course I have no way of confirming this, but I saw a TikTok with a picture (no faces) of two people holding a subway pole. One had spots. The person supposedly approached  to say he thinks he may have monkeypox and should quarantine, but got blown off. He speaks to the other person, and their response is “I’m not gay, so I’m not worried.”

Again, I can’t be sure the exchange actually happened, but people RIGHT HERE have said pretty much the same thing. So, yeah.

Meanwhile, my kid has been invited to a trampoline park for next month.  Now I’m trying to figure out how to express my regrets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Does anyone know what the risk is in swimming pools? Our grandson is taking his level 4 swimming lessons as well as some dive lessons. The instructor still has small groups, usually only 5-7 children at a time and enforces social distancing. Of course the pool is chlorinated. He and I do not use the changing room. We arrive in swim gear, and then towel off afterward, sit outside for a few minutes in the grass to dry a little bit more, and then we get into the car still rather damp. I am hoping that is a significant reduction in risk, however am considering canceling the rest of his lessons if cases go up in the area.

I am so very tired of this. Weary beyond words. My grandsons need to be able to do things. N is very advanced for his age, and is really headed towards competitive swim. Frankly, he benefits greatly from the structure and instruction from someone besides me or his mom. It is going to be devastating if I have to take this away. Dd is mostly out of the woods with long covid. It seems that getting her on bed rest right when there was some concern that she might develop that has worked. But, we are still forging through with her regimen until September just to be sure. It has been so much upheavel for my grandsons. Swim is so vital right now. They look forward to it every week. I pay the pass for C and I to swim in the non instructional pool while his older brother has lessons, and then N joins us for another hour and gets in a lane and practices. I am don't want to think what is going to happen if I take this away, and especially so for N who will have to take level 4 again in the future if he can't complete the class and take his swim test for promotion.

Any advice?

• Sad 6

Outdoor pool? I think you’re on the right track with avoiding the change rooms. It seems like the pool water itself should be low risk? It seems hard to know because right now there’s every extreme of opinion for airborne full level PPE to its STI and everything in between. My gut feel is maybe similar to what you’d do for avoiding staph type infections? But that’s not science just what the mid-range recommendations seem to follow.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 2

@Faith-manor

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/whats-your-risk-of-getting-monkeypox-from-everyday-activities-from-trying-on-clothes-to-attending-a-festival-heres-a-breakdown/2899148/

In a swimming pool or hot tub: Unlikely

Experts said the monkeypox virus is not waterborne and therefore the risk of spread through water in pools or hot tubs, particularly those that are well-maintained and clean, is low. 

They cautioned, however, against sharing towels or poolside clothing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Ausmumof3@Faith-manor

maybe follow the same recommendations as for molluscum and avoid kickboards as well

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/molluscum-contagiosum/sp_recommendations.html
“Several studies that did implicate swimming pool use with molluscum neglected to adequately account for other factors that could introduce bias or influence virus transmission, such as the age of the subjects, their participation in other forms of physical activity (i.e., contact sports), and their shared use of potential fomites (towels, kick boards).

An additional issue complicating the interpretation of molluscum transmission studies is the widely variable incubation time from infection to development of molluscum lesions (range, 2 weeks to 6 months), making the association between the event and lesion difficult to confirm.

It remains unclear whether contact with contaminated fomites is important (i.e., kick boards, towels) or whether swimming in potentially contaminated water alone is sufficient for virus transmission. It is conceivable that maceration (softening) of the molluscum contagiosum lesions following water submersion facilitates person-to-person contact or fomite transmission.”

• Like 3

How is the monkeypox virus affecting travel? (thepointsguy.com)

Can the virus be transmitted in a swimming pool or water park?

“If you have an open wound you should avoid entering public pools and water parks at all times,” Yu advised. “But in places of big bodies of water that are chlorinated, the viral amounts are diluted and there is less risk of monkeypox transmission.”

Holtom said: “There’s absolutely no data right now saying monkeypox can be transmitted by water… It’s a very low-risk environment.”

He did say that towel sharing at a pool would have a similar risk to shared linens, so people should avoid using an unknown person’s towel — “but that’s common sense anyway.”

CDC studies on a similar pox virus showed a very low risk of transmission in pools or public water areas but cautioned that due to the long incubation period of the virus before an outbreak (it can sometimes be weeks), it is difficult to confirm exactly when or where a person might have contracted the virus.

Baylor’s Kulkarni also said a towel that had not been appropriately laundered could potentially “be considered infectious materials… But importantly, they would have had to have been recently used by someone with an active monkeypox infection.”

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

@Ausmumof3@Faith-manor

maybe follow the same recommendations as for molluscum and avoid kickboards as well

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/molluscum-contagiosum/sp_recommendations.html
“Several studies that did implicate swimming pool use with molluscum neglected to adequately account for other factors that could introduce bias or influence virus transmission, such as the age of the subjects, their participation in other forms of physical activity (i.e., contact sports), and their shared use of potential fomites (towels, kick boards).

An additional issue complicating the interpretation of molluscum transmission studies is the widely variable incubation time from infection to development of molluscum lesions (range, 2 weeks to 6 months), making the association between the event and lesion difficult to confirm.

It remains unclear whether contact with contaminated fomites is important (i.e., kick boards, towels) or whether swimming in potentially contaminated water alone is sufficient for virus transmission. It is conceivable that maceration (softening) of the molluscum contagiosum lesions following water submersion facilitates person-to-person contact or fomite transmission.”

Thanks for the information.

It ie getting to the place I feel like we have to hold our breath everywhere or drown ourselves in bleach. It just gets so old. And I feel it so much. I am 54 and basically parenting a 6 year old and  2 year old while juggling two, elderly mothers in need of attention. Having so much upheavel in public health complicating every decision I make trying to keep everyone reasonably healthy/safe is wearing me down.

I think we will continue for now, and just keep him distanced from other kids. When he practices after his lesson, he is in a lap lane, and they let me stay in the water at the end of the lane with C so I can keep coaching N. We really do a good job of not being in physical contact with the other kids. When N is tired, he just hangs on the side and gets his breath. He doesn't get out and sit on the bleachers. Hopefully we are doing enough.

I have a waterproof bag that I keep the towels in so they can't touch other towels if kids come running near. I will make up some bleach cloths, and remember to wipe down the bag before we get our towels out, then use a clean bleach cloth to wipe down our hands, then get the towels out, dry off, go sit in the sun, then wash the bag and everything in it when we get home. 

• Like 5

This sounds promising--FDA considering dividing each dose of Jynneos vaccine into 5 doses, and administering intradermally (smaller needle, injected in between layers of skin). 

"James Krellenstein, co-founder of the LGBTQ+ healthcare advocacy group PrEP4All, noted on Twitter that the FDA’s decision appeared to based on a 2015 study that looked into the immune response derived from a one-fifth dose of Jynneos administered intradermally compared to a full dose administered subcutaneously, which is when the shot is injected into the layer of fat beneath the skin.

The study, funded in part by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, found that an “equivalent immune response” between the two different forms of Jynneos administration.

Krellenstein wrote he was glad to see this decision being considered, saying his organization had suggested this strategy to federal officials multiple times."

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3588440-fda-considering-dividing-jynneos-doses-into-fifths-to-increase-vaccine-supply/

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I typically follow my county’s demographic data for monkeypox and covid to decide whether to worry since California is so large.

27 cases hospitalized in state 😞
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Monkeypox-Data.aspx

Statewide Cases

By Local Health Jurisdiction Cases
Los Angeles 431
San Francisco 398
Hospitalized N Percents*
Yes 27 3.1
No 858 96.9
Missing/Unknown 425 -

• Sad 2

This is from a Washington Post health reporter, so probably reliable:

Hardly surprising, but not what anyone wanted to see.

ETA that schools are already having a terrible time finding enough teachers. Now imagine monkeypox spreading in classrooms and teachers needing to isolate  up to four weeks during recovery. 

Edited by Innisfree
  • Sad 6

On 8/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, Acadie said:

I don't think we know enough about transmission yet, but I read that sores in the mouth may contribute to respiratory spread. 

Which means kissing, which young people are not going to consider risky as a general rule, is a potential source of spread. 

22 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Wouldn't it be nice if people just could stay home (and did) when they have a fever and swollen glands?

• Like 3

Australian numbers still seem to be around 58 (can't find it now, but was reading a NSW Dept of Health report from Aug 3rd). Apparently there hasn't been local transmission in our state, it's been picked up almost entirely overseas with a couple of cases coming from Melbourne. Vaccination starts up next week for 'high risk' groups which doesn't seem to be health workers from what I can read. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Australian numbers still seem to be around 58 (can't find it now, but was reading a NSW Dept of Health report from Aug 3rd). Apparently there hasn't been local transmission in our state, it's been picked up almost entirely overseas with a couple of cases coming from Melbourne. Vaccination starts up next week for 'high risk' groups which doesn't seem to be health workers from what I can read. 

I wish they would give healthcare workers vaccines first. Or at least the ones who are most likely to be in contact with it. 

I don’t have much faith we’ll prevent it given the current approach to public health but maybe we’ll have a bit more time.

Edited by Ausmumof3

35 minutes ago, bookbard said:

28 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I wish they would give healthcare workers vaccines first. Or at least the ones who are most likely to be in contact with it. 

Supply issues for vaccines.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/monkeypox.aspx

“NSW Health will begin vaccinating people at highest risk from monkeypox from 8 August 2022.

Doctors and other community partners are identifying people who are most at risk from monkeypox to receive a vaccine when the first supplies of vaccine become available. Many people will not be eligible during the initial rollout. NSW Health is working to ensure the most vulnerable people access the vaccine first. 

NSW Health expects to receive a further 30,000 doses at the end of September and 70,000 doses in early 2023. 

NSW Health will provide more information about eligibility and access to the vaccine at that time.”

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/monkeypox-mpx/about#current-status

“As of 4 August 2022:

• There are 57 cases (confirmed and probable) of MPX in Australia, reflecting cases which have been diagnosed in Australia and reported to the National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS) by states and territories.
  • This includes 31 in New South Wales, 22 in Victoria, 2 in the Australian Capital Territory, 1 in Queensland and 1 in South Australia.

Please note that data for this website update was extracted on 5 August 2022. Due to the dynamic nature of the NNDSS and active case investigations, reported data may vary from day to day based updates by states and territories. Cases diagnosed overseas are not reported to the NNDSS or included in Australian national case numbers.”

You know, if I was a health worker at risk, say working with affected populations, I'd be tempted to lie and say I was a sex worker or similar in order to get the monkeypox vax. I can see why rolling it out to every health worker in Australia would be overkill, but those working in specific sexual health clinics and so forth will certainly be at risk, you'd think.

Just read that a daycare worker tested positive for monkeypox:

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, bookbard said:

You know, if I was a health worker at risk, say working with affected populations, I'd be tempted to lie and say I was a sex worker or similar in order to get the monkeypox vax. I can see why rolling it out to every health worker in Australia would be overkill, but those working in specific sexual health clinics and so forth will certainly be at risk, you'd think.

Just read that a daycare worker tested positive for monkeypox:

Honestly, I think if I were a preschool teacher, or a teacher who has to regularly assist with toileting, etc for kids with special needs, I'd be tempted to lie, too. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bookbard said:

Sydney is hosting World Pride early next year, with the strong potential that it will be a super spreader event - I hope vax rates amongst males who have sex with males ( the group currently considered high risk) can dampen that potential. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Honestly, I think if I were a preschool teacher, or a teacher who has to regularly assist with toileting, etc for kids with special needs, I'd be tempted to lie, too. 

Yeah, I just took a job working with Young 3's (including some 2.5 year olds)...toileting is a huge part of the day.  I'm rather worried about this.

• Sad 3