Menu

S/O Monkeypox news & polio news

Arcadia

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Sloppy headline (“monkey vaccine”). I think we’re seeing another major failure of public health in action, as they’re too scared to do anything to slow the explosion of monkeypox. It certainly does the gay community no favors to just shrug shoulders about monkey pox becoming endemic. They will bear the largest burden, as they have in the US with HIV.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Sloppy headline (“monkey vaccine”). I think we’re seeing another major failure of public health in action, as they’re too scared to do anything to slow the explosion of monkeypox. It certainly does the gay community no favors to just shrug shoulders about monkey pox becoming endemic. They will bear the largest burden, as they have in the US with HIV.

Yes.  It pisses me off so much that we have learned nothing going through covid.  We need real info now.  How to protect ourselves.  How it can really spread.  Today I was wondering if it can live on outdoor surfaces as long as the 15 days that I had read before.   I feel really helpless as mom not knowing how to advise my kids really in how to not get this or what they should avoid.  

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We need real info now.  How to protect ourselves.  How it can really spread. 

Well, we certainly know that crowded parties and festivals with a lot of exposed skin are a really, really bad idea right now. Is there a way to put restrictions on those for now? It seems weird to have a health guideline that requires torso, arms and legs to be fully covered, but we required masks and many places do require shirts, so maybe that's an emergency guideline that could be in place for certain venues? Tricky, but seems a ridiculous dereliction of duty not to require that right now.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KSera said:

Well, we certainly know that crowded parties and festivals with a lot of exposed skin are a really, really bad idea right now. Is there a way to put restrictions on those for now? It seems weird to have a health guideline that requires torso, arms and legs to be fully covered, but we required masks and many places do require shirts, so maybe that's an emergency guideline that could be in place for certain venues? Tricky, but seems a ridiculous dereliction of duty not to require that right now.

Not to make light, it kind of reminds me of the rules they  had a school parties when we were in middle school.  I like your idea of mandating clothing.  I wish they were not holding some of these parties right now.  I know with reading that some of them have been cancelled for the last 2 years because of covid, I don't think that would fly right now, but man.  Everyone is tired of restrictions and rules and all of that, but i feel like if we don't do it sometimes that we are just going to go through this over and over.  

U.S. Could Have Had Many More Doses of Monkeypox Vaccine This Year - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

more details about the IL daycare worker

See, this makes the response even worse to me. I mean, on the one hand, MPX is more dangerous to children, so it definitely makes sense they are expediting treatment to them, but still, there's a sense that this didn't seem like an emergency until it started spreading outside the gay community. Yet at the same time, the messaging has been they don't want to focus the risk on the gay community to avoid stigmatizing. It doesn't sit right.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KSera said:

See, this makes the response even worse to me. I mean, on the one hand, MPX is more dangerous to children, so it definitely makes sense they are expediting treatment to them, but still, there's a sense that this didn't seem like an emergency until it started spreading outside the gay community. Yet at the same time, the messaging has been they don't want to focus the risk on the gay community to avoid stigmatizing. It doesn't sit right.

Is it only more dangerous to kids under 8?  I think that is stuck in my  head for some reason, I don't know if that is correct though.

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Is it only more dangerous to kids under 8?  I think that is stuck in my  head for some reason, I don't know if that is correct though.

I'm not sure, but my sense is also that it's young children (and pregnancy women).

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

more details about the IL daycare worker

This is almost comical, I am sorry to say. How are they planning to chase these daycare/school outbreaks, which will be more and more common, when the low-risk vaccine is being used up now? There is not enough low-risk vaccine to go around.

We should be vaccinating at risk health care workers right now - with staff out for weeks, we won't have the health care structure to deal with covid, monkeypox and flu this fall and winter. I wish they were talking about their plans now, considering we are not doing anything to prevent spread (my guess: They'll use the ACAM2000 once people start panicking). How are they planning to support people who are sick for weeks at a time and need to miss work? What a joke this response is.

Edited by Mom_to3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KSera said:

I think it’s image. If kids get it in this outbreak it blows the whole only affects MSM right out the water and they can’t downplay it anymore. Is the vax even approved for use in kids? I thought it wasn’t. That seems like desperation to me.

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is the vax even approved for use in kids? I thought it wasn’t. 

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/considerations-for-monkeypox-vaccination.html

• JYNNEOS is licensed by the FDA for use in the prevention of smallpox or monkeypox in people ages 18 years and older. Use in younger populations currently requires requesting and obtaining a single patient emergency use authorization from FDA for each person under 18 years. CDC is developing an Expanded Access Investigational New Drug (IND)protocol to allow broader use of JYNNEOS in the pediatric population.”
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is the vax even approved for use in kids? I thought it wasn’t.

They might have to start using ACAM2000, which seems pretty problematic to me. This is creeping ever closer to being a nightmare, and in the early days, I didn’t think that would happen. I thought it was going to be stopped before it reached this point. I know that seems naive given what happened with Covid, but this isn’t Covid and doesn’t spread as easily and I guess I hoped we had learned something and wouldn’t let a disease like this get out of hand (I think I kind of expected people would be more worried about this one than they were with Covid due to the visual nature, and do whatever necessary to avoid it). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Back to Polio

New York Polio: Is It Contagious? How Is Polio Transmitted? – NBC New York

‘Hundreds' May Be Infected With Polio, NY's Top Doctor Says, Urging Vaccinations

One interesting thing in the article is that the Ney York case was contracted from someone who was given the live oral polio vacccine (not given in the US since 2000). My son had the live oral polio series in 1998, during a fairly small window of time during which that was standard here in the U.S. Does that put him more at risk? Or is it only an issue of potential shedding shortly after receiving the vaccine?

9 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

This is almost comical, I am sorry to say. How are they planning to chase these daycare/school outbreaks, which will be more and more common, when the low-risk vaccine is being used up now? There is not enough low-risk vaccine to go around.

We should be vaccinating at risk health care workers right now - with staff out for weeks, we won't have the health care structure to deal with covid, monkeypox and flu this fall and winter. I wish they were talking about their plans now, considering we are not doing anything to prevent spread (my guess: They'll use the ACAM2000 once people start panicking). How are they planning to support people who are sick for weeks at a time and need to miss work? What a joke this response is.

Besides the integrity of the healthcare system, healthcare families are going to bear the brunt of all disease outbreaks that are mishandled by being the canaries in the coal mines anytime the next disease flies under the radar. If DH has to stay out of work for a month, he won't get paid, at least until STD kicks in. A lot of healthcare workers don't get paid vacation or paid sick time.

After the more injury of much of the last 2.5 years, HCWs need to be prioritized. 

6 hours ago, KSera said:

They might have to start using ACAM2000, which seems pretty problematic to me. This is creeping ever closer to being a nightmare, and in the early days, I didn’t think that would happen. I thought it was going to be stopped before it reached this point. I know that seems naive given what happened with Covid, but this isn’t Covid and doesn’t spread as easily and I guess I hoped we had learned something and wouldn’t let a disease like this get out of hand (I think I kind of expected people would be more worried about this one than they were with Covid due to the visual nature, and do whatever necessary to avoid it). 

In the early days, wasn't the good news that we had vaccines stockpiled? I am so over this already. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

One interesting thing in the article is that the Ney York case was contracted from someone who was given the live oral polio vacccine (not given in the US since 2000). My son had the live oral polio series in 1998, during a fairly small window of time during which that was standard here in the U.S. Does that put him more at risk? Or is it only an issue of potential shedding shortly after receiving the vaccine?

I've wanted to know this as well. I am nearly positive I got oral polio vaccine--I remember getting drops at the health department just before kindergarten (and being really put out that my tetanus shot made my arm really sore when I wanted to be climbing all over our backyard monkey bars).

• Like 1

"We have seen patients that have been going up to seven centers: three different urgent cares, dermatologists, and ERs to try to figure out what is going on," she said during a recent Infectious Diseases Society of America telebriefing, stressing the need for better awareness of how monkeypox can present.

Great! Let's spread it around seven doctor's offices! If they don't suspect it, I would guess providers aren't wearing all the PPE.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I've wanted to know this as well. I am nearly positive I got oral polio vaccine--I remember getting drops at the health department just before kindergarten (and being really put out that my tetanus shot made my arm really sore when I wanted to be climbing all over our backyard monkey bars).

I remember being asked if we had any immune compromised people in the home (we did not) and then told to keep him away from anyone elderly or otherwise vulnerable for a few days.

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

Or is it only an issue of potential shedding shortly after receiving the vaccine?

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

It is the shredding which is the same problem with the ACAM2000 vaccine. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I remember being asked if we had any immune compromised people in the home (we did not) and then told to keep him away from anyone elderly or otherwise vulnerable for a few days.

They were still giving oral polio vax when my older two boys were getting their infant/toddler/preschool vaxes. Their paternal grandfather had cancer and was taking chemo and radiation. We were heavily involved in his life at the time so our pediatrician delayed any vaccines that had a shedding danger. After he died, we had to schedule catching up. I am grateful that our ped was on top of that and knew the danger to grandpa. It would have been horrible if the kids had taken polio to him or something else, and also horrible if they had been vaxed, and then we were told they had to stay away. Time was limited, and we were trying to make memories with grandpa in the hopes the kids would remember him.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

The man in NY was unvaccinated and somewhere in his travels overseas encountered the live vaccine strain of polio and was susceptible. So people who have already had the live version in the past are not at risk. My understanding is that the live vaccine as given cannot cause polio, but because it’s live, it can mutate as it spreads passively in the population and sometimes mutates to a form that is the riskier form and that’s what would have happened here. The risk in that case is to people not vaccinated against polio.

I don’t like live vaccines for this reason though. I understand why they use them, but it’s a risk. The ACAM2000 Monkeypox vaccine carries a similar risk, including direct infection of other people from the vaccination site blister, and being dangerous to people with certain conditions, including eczema. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@KSera since polio can spread unknown, wonder if other states are now testing their wastewater.

https://www.health.ny.gov/press/releases/2022/2022-08-04_polio_detected_nys.htm

“Based on earlier polio outbreaks, New Yorkers should know that for every one case of paralytic polio observed, there may be hundreds of other people infected," State Health Commissioner Dr. Mary T. Bassett said. "Coupled with the latest wastewater findings, the Department is treating the single case of polio as just the tip of the iceberg of much greater potential spread. As we learn more, what we do know is clear: the danger of polio is present in New York today. We must meet this moment by ensuring that adults, including pregnant people, and young children by 2 months of age are up to date with their immunization – the safe protection against this debilitating virus that every New Yorker needs."

New Yorkers should know that the latest environmental findings do not indicate that the individual identified in Rockland County was the source of the transmission, and case investigation into the origin of the virus is ongoing. NYSDOH continues to work with global, national, and local public health authorities to aggressively assess the spread of the virus and ensure prevention measures, particularly immunization clinics, are in place – as the best way to keep New York polio-free is to maintain high immunity across the population through vaccination.

All New Yorkers who are unvaccinated, including children by 2 months of age, those who are pregnant, and people who have not completed their polio vaccine series previously should get immunized right away. Unvaccinated New Yorkers who live, work, go to school in, or visit Rockland County, Orange County, and the greater New York metropolitan area are at the highest risk of exposure.”

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

since polio can spread unknown, wonder if other states are now testing their wastewater.

I found this, but the rest of the article is paywalled:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may pilot a wastewater surveillance testing program for polio in selected cities across the United States after a case was detected in Rockland County, NY, late last month. Polio testing from wastewater samples is “very labor and resource intensive” and requires significant increases in public health laboratory capacity...”

https://insidehealthpolicy.com/daily-news/cdc-mulls-wastewater-surveillance-pilot-program-polio?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 2

@KSera UK is doing surveillance and urging people especially londoners to be updated in their polio vaccinations. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/poliovirus-detected-in-sewage-from-north-and-east-london

“As part of routine surveillance, it is normal for 1 to 3 ‘vaccine-like’ polioviruses to be detected each year in UK sewage samples but these have always been one-off findings that were not detected again. These previous detections occurred when an individual vaccinated overseas with the live oral polio vaccine (OPV) returned or travelled to the UK and briefly ‘shed’ traces of the vaccine-like poliovirus in their faeces.

Investigations are underway after several closely-related viruses were found in sewage samples taken between February and May. The virus has continued to evolve and is now classified as a ‘vaccine-derived’ poliovirus type 2 (VDPV2), which on rare occasions can cause serious illness, such as paralysis, in people who are not fully vaccinated.

The detection of a VDPV2 suggests it is likely there has been some spread between closely-linked individuals in North and East London and that they are now shedding the type 2 poliovirus strain in their faeces. The virus has only been detected in sewage samples and no associated cases of paralysis have been reported – but investigations will aim to establish if any community transmission is occurring.“

https://www.who.int/news/item/22-06-2022-vaccine-derived-poliovirus-type-2-(vdpv2)-detected-in-environmental-samples-in-london--uk

“It is important that all countries, in particular those with a high volume of travel and contact with polio-affected countries and areas, strengthen surveillance in order to rapidly detect any new virus importation and to facilitate a rapid response. Countries, territories, and areas should also maintain uniformly high routine immunization coverage at the district level and at the lowest administrative level to protect children from polio and to minimize the consequences of any new virus being introduced.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, KSera said:

Polio testing from wastewater samples is “very labor and resource intensive” and requires significant increases in public health laboratory capacity...”

I don't see how anyone who's survived the last 2.5 years would not believe that increasing public health laboratory capacity is not just prudent but an absolute necessity and top priority. Climate change + increasing international travel + the stupid anti-vax movement all increase the odds of pandemics becoming more frequent and more widespread. How many people died because the CDC had such limited test capacity they restricted testing to travelers from ChIna, while covid imported from Europe spread like wildfire on the east coast? The fact that we do not appear to have learned ANY lessons from the death of over 1 million Americans in the last 2.5 years is so depressing — and enraging.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

This is an older Russian study but still interesting 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6563241/table/viruses-11-00424-t003/?report=objectonly

D25986E9-F8FD-46A5-B33C-3C351FE31533.thumb.jpeg.b0ce7022e7d50f374d916ec00b7d7c70.jpeg

From

Environmental Surveillance for Poliovirus and Other Enteroviruses: Long-Term Experience in Moscow, Russian Federation, 2004–2017

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6563241/#!po=97.9167

• Like 3

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/cdc-sends-team-york-investigate-polio-case/story?id=88095468
“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has deployed a federal team to New York to investigate the case of polio detected in Rockland County.

The team will also help administer vaccinations in the county.

It's unclear how long the CDC will remain in the county or if the findings will be released to the public.

"CDC continues to collaborate with the New York State Department of Health to investigate a recent case of paralytic polio in an unvaccinated individual from Rockland County," the federal health agency said in a statement to ABC News. "These efforts include ongoing testing of wastewater samples to monitor for poliovirus and deploying a small team to New York to assist on the ground with the investigation and vaccination efforts."”

• Sad 2

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/response/2022/us-map.html
“Updated August 9, 2022

Total confirmed monkeypox/orthopoxvirus cases:9,492

Data Table

Cases

Alabama 22
Alaska 2
Arizona 143
Arkansas 12
California 1,310
Colorado 78
Connecticut 49
Delaware 6
District Of Columbia 318
Florida 976
Georgia 749
Hawaii 11
Idaho 8
Illinois 701
Indiana 77
Iowa 13
Kansas 2
Kentucky 10
Louisiana 88
Maine 2
Maryland 219
Massachusetts 174
Michigan 73
Minnesota 55
Mississippi 8
Missouri 17
Montana 1
Nebraska 14
Nevada 55
New Hampshire 15
New Jersey 264
New Mexico 13
New York 2,104
North Carolina 114
North Dakota 2
Ohio 73
Oklahoma 11
Oregon 93
Pennsylvania 251
Puerto Rico 32
Rhode Island 31
South Carolina 41
South Dakota 2
Tennessee 55
Texas 748
Utah 56
Vermont 1
Virginia 145
Washington 210
West Virginia 4
Wisconsin 31
Wyoming 0

Edited by Arcadia

9 hours ago, thewellerman said:

London is going to vaccinate children for polio, even if they have already been vaccinated.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-62492784

In the back of my mind I’m concerned that covid may decrease effectiveness of childhood vaccines if it damages the immune system? This is not exactly calming those fears though the current situation seems to be able to be explained by low vax rates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

In the back of my mind I’m concerned that covid may decrease effectiveness of childhood vaccines if it damages the immune system? This is not exactly calming those fears though the current situation seems to be able to be explained by low vax rates.

I think the current cases are still of the variant that is due to live polio vaccine and not from wild polio. So while scary, it is not to the same level of scariness as a wild polio outbreak. To me the scary part about polio is the asymptomatic transfer. My extended family are all vaxed but none of us have titers drawn so it is hard to know our immunity level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have this concern as well. I think it would be hard to know yet if it's happening, because there would have to be an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease first, and only then would we see if immunity has changed. The polio outbreak could be the first time its put to the test. Though actually, I guess we might see increases in other childhood illnesses that kids usually get once and then not again if the immune system is being damaged by covid--increases in things link hand foot and mouth disease.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KSera said:

I have this concern as well. I think it would be hard to know yet if it's happening, because there would have to be an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease first, and only then would we see if immunity has changed. The polio outbreak could be the first time its put to the test. Though actually, I guess we might see increases in other childhood illnesses that kids usually get once and then not again if the immune system is being damaged by covid--increases in things link hand foot and mouth disease.

That and it will be hard to separate out if there’s any effects from delayed exposure as well due to pandemic measures.

• Like 1

We have the most cases of monkeypox per capita here. I mean, makes sense. Sigh. They're prioritizing getting first doses. At least the health department is really on top of it, but the scarcity is tough. I don't see it getting swept under the rug here at all. But... there's not enough to give everyone who even qualified for the vaccine in the first place a second dose, much less vaccinate other people.

• Sad 4

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Farrar did an Excel spreadsheet on my iPhone and you are correct about DC being highest per capita

That makes it look more dire than it is... we often are highest per capita on things that hit cities harder than whole states (though, for the record, for anyone playing attention, we have a higher population than two of those states, support statehood). But... I also read that we have the highest per capita of major cities as well.

The city is advertising the vaccine like mad and a couple of people I know who are eligible have gotten the first dose. It seems like the city is managing it reasonably well... it's just... is there any push behind the scenes to produce more vaccine, you know? Because this is about to explode.

• Like 2

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/10/uk-will-run-out-of-monkeypox-vaccine-in-10-to-20-days

UK is likely to have a 1 month supply gap for the vaccine. 

“Dr Claire Dewsnap, the president of the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH), said the letter accurately portrayed the looming unavailability of the vaccine, called Imvanex.

“By current estimates, only 8,300 vaccines remain available, with 5,000 earmarked for London, where demand has been the greatest, making it likely that the remaining number of vaccines will run out in approximately 10 to 20 days, leaving a gap in supply until the next shipment arrives in September.

“Without urgent action to procure more vaccines and avoid a gap in supply, we risk the disease spreading further throughout the UK and becoming an endemic public health challenge,” Dewsnap said.”