Menu

The hound dog is going to be the death of me

ktgrok

Ok, so setting aside that he BROKE MY WRIST, the dog is having a second puppyhood. He is peeing and pooping in the house since we moved, stealing food, and being a general PIA. He hates pooping on leash in the back yard, but will go if you walk him. So now he CRIES and CRIES if it is anytime near "walk time". At first he only cried if he saw DH, since that was who walks him. Then DS22 took him for a walk ONCE and now he CRIES when he sees DS22 anytime between the hours of 5pm and 10pm, hoping for a walk, even if DH already walked him. 

In the last 24 hours I've cleaned up his poop twice, his pee twice, and his puke once. Puke was from eating an entire box of Luna bars. 

I am never ever ever having another hound dog. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 18

Yikes! Any chance of getting a fence at your new home???  I’d be going nuts without our fence! 

eta: we move at minimum every 2 years. One of my dogs pees and poops every.single.time in our new house 🙄 BUT, usually only once or twice in the first couple of weeks. Hopefully your pup will knock it off SOON. 

Edited by mmasc
More info
  • Like 1

That is so funny, but I feel your pain.  My little pointer refuses to leave our bedroom alone in the mornings to go outside even though she has a pet door.  I have to go with her and stand out in the freezing cold.  I have been thrilled the last two mornings that once she realized I was coming with her to the back door she ran ahead of me and went out without me.  

We have been walking more and she is just like your hound….I walked her 2 days on my lunch hour and the third day when it was way too cold she cried the entire time I was home.  She kept jumping up on the counter where her leash was and then spinning in circles.

I hope you get your fence up soon!

2 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Yikes! Any chance of getting a fence at your new home???  I’d be going nuts without our fence! 

We are trying but materials are out of stock everywhere! In hopes that paying the extra money to have it installed for us, rather than doing it ourselves, we called two fence companies and haven't even gotten a call back. Did manage to arrange to have Lowes come out to do an estimate, in hopes that maybe they have materials for their contractors to install, just not on the shelf for retail customers to buy. wE will see. Soonest they could come out is this coming Friday (made the appointment weeks ago). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

I think you should make him some blond (none chocolate) marijuana brownies, and fee him one or two per day! 😁

LOL, maybe!

We did wonder if it was stress so we got those dog appeasing pheremone plug in things. Supposed to smell like a lactating mama dog. Didn't help him, but the kitten started being really mean - like constantly in fight or flight. Realized to her it smelled like a strange, invisible dog was hiding in the house as far as she could tell. So, not liking being bitten an scratched by the cat we unplugged it. 

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

LOL, maybe!

We did wonder if it was stress so we got those dog appeasing pheremone plug in things. Supposed to smell like a lactating mama dog. Didn't help him, but the kitten started being really mean - like constantly in fight or flight. Realized to her it smelled like a strange, invisible dog was hiding in the house as far as she could tell. So, not liking being bitten an scratched by the cat we unplugged it. 

Maybe get him some anxiety meds from the vet u til you can get the fence built.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I think you should make him some blond (none chocolate) marijuana brownies, and fee him one or two per day! 😁

A friend of mine's dog ate a pan of chocolate pot brownies.  She took the dog to the vet who said that the ill effects of chocolate on dogs are the opposite of the effects of pot, and that the dog essentially self medicated and was fine.  

Not suggesting this as an option, just relating a funny story.

• Haha 11

Ooh, so you have to take your dogs out on leashes every single time? That would drive me crazy. I hope you get your fence soon.

In defense of the hound, that must be tough for him to lose his off-leash time. My hounds would go berserk, I think. Probably all my non-hound dogs would, too. Plus, his bathroom routine has been disrupted by the move, and that can be understandably tough. A lot of dogs have trouble transitioning to bathroom breaks while leashed.

I hope it all gets easier soon!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

Ooh, so you have to take your dogs out on leashes every single time? That would drive me crazy. I hope you get your fence soon.

In defense of the hound, that must be tough for him to lose his off-leash time. My hounds would go berserk, I think. Probably all my non-hound dogs would, too. Plus, his bathroom routine has been disrupted by the move, and that can be understandably tough. A lot of dogs have trouble transitioning to bathroom breaks while leashed.

I hope it all gets easier soon!

Yes, on leash. Well, not the ancient border collie. He won't go anywhere. He can go out without a leash as long as your supervisor. He won't run away but he might get lost if he accidentally goes around the end of the house, lol. And what is worse, is now I have to make a separate trip for the two big dogs. I was trying to do them both at once and that's how I got hurt.

Okay, I confess, we've never had a fenced yard and we've always walked our dogs on leashes.

If you just let them out in the yard unsupervised, don't they roll in stuff and eat stuff and come in dirty? How do you know for sure if they've gone potty? I always plan on giving my pup a bath after she goes to the dog park or Grandma's fenced yard. :blush:

24 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Okay, I confess, we've never had a fenced yard and we've always walked our dogs on leashes.

If you just let them out in the yard unsupervised, don't they roll in stuff and eat stuff and come in dirty? How do you know for sure if they've gone potty? I always plan on giving my pup a bath after she goes to the dog park or Grandma's fenced yard. :blush:

1) Yes, they will occasionally roll in something stinky. You can buy doggie wipes for quick clean up.
2) If your yard is fenced then you’ll know what’s available to eat. A little grazing never hurt any dog I know. 🙂

3) How to know if dog went potty? If dog is already housebroken, this is not an issue at all. Doggo WILL go when outside. 

4) If you have a fenced yard and a spoiled indoor dog, the dog isn’t going to get that dirty going out a few times a day. They’re spoiled after all and will want to come back inside ASAP! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

A house trained dog will let you know when they need to go out to potty.  Dogs need time outside for more than just potty breaks.  And if the dog is a medium to big dog, I personally think that a fenced yard is an obligation. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A house trained dog will let you know when they need to go out to potty.  Dogs need time outside for more than just potty breaks.  And if the dog is a medium to big dog, I personally think that a fenced yard is an obligation. 

My goldens would be miserable without a fenced yard. They seem to need a lot of outdoor time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MercyA said:

I mean I guess they get dirty. But not gross. The yard isn't muddy or anything. And I don't know if they've gone potty. I'd let them out if they wanna go out. I let them in when they want to come in. They potty while they are out there if they need to go. Once they're housebroken it isn't an issue.

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yeah they really need to run around and wrestle and I don't want 200 pounds of dog wrestlin in my Living Room.

The dog park would be a good idea but at this point with my broken wrist isn't safe for me to take them. If I had to grab a dog and pulled him away from another dog I couldn't do it without injury. Also I can't drive very far. Going to see if DS 22 can do it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yes, I know. Our dog rings a doorbell whenever she wants to go out and we take her. But sometimes, even when she has to go, she might get distracted by an animal trail or get cold and decide she'd rather be back on the couch with her girl. When we're there to watch, we can make sure she does go before coming back inside. That's all I meant. 

She's a toy breed and she's plenty spoiled. But she probably would enjoy a fence. We couldn't fence the whole property and it would make mowing difficult. Something to think about again, maybe!

Edited by MercyA

4 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Yes, I know. Our dog rings a doorbell whenever she wants to go out and we take her. But sometimes, even when she has to go, she might get distracted by an animal trail or get cold and decide she'd rather be back on the couch with her girl. When we're there to watch, we can make sure she does go before coming back inside. That's all I meant. 

She's a toy breed and she's plenty spoiled. But she probably would enjoy a fence. We couldn't fence the whole property and it would make mowing difficult. Something to think about again, maybe!

Yeah if they don't go they just asked to go out again in a bit and I let them out again. But size makes a difference. A toy breed can get lots of exercise running around the living room. And 95 pound dog will destroy the living room doing that. They need more room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, MercyA said:

This is why I teach all my dogs to pee on command. There are times (like yesterday ) when we are going to be at church all morning and I absolutely need her to pee before leaving her in the house. (I can’t leave her in the backyard even in warmer weather because of the neighbors on one side). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

This is why I teach all my dogs to pee on command. There are times (like yesterday ) when we are going to be at church all morning and I absolutely need her to pee before leaving her in the house. (I can’t leave her in the backyard even in warmer weather because of the neighbors on one side). 

I have taught mine this too.  Oh the body language when she wants to come back in but I tell her 'go potty'.  She drops her ears and her head and plods back out in the yard.  But she knows exactly what I am telling her.  

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Yep! Super handy when going through airports, too--no time to lose when running them outside!

We use "hurry up" for peeing and "vite, vite" for pooing. 🙂 

• Like 4

On 1/23/2022 at 6:44 AM, ktgrok said:

We are trying but materials are out of stock everywhere! In hopes that paying the extra money to have it installed for us, rather than doing it ourselves, we called two fence companies and haven't even gotten a call back. Did manage to arrange to have Lowes come out to do an estimate, in hopes that maybe they have materials for their contractors to install, just not on the shelf for retail customers to buy. wE will see. Soonest they could come out is this coming Friday (made the appointment weeks ago). 

You might be able to get an invisible fence installed quicker than lumber, due to materials, but then you have to train the dog(s) to the fence and that takes a little while. And if in the long run, a physical fence is a better choice, not worth the money. But, just thought the option was worth mentioning in case there are any other reasons a physical fence remains too difficult to do. There are certain breeds I've heard may not respond as well to invisible fences, but I don't know which those are. They seem to be very effective for all the neighbors that have them, though. They're a poor choice in an area where there is a risk of other animals coming from the outside in, to threaten your dogs.

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

You might be able to get an invisible fence installed quicker than lumber, due to materials, but then you have to train the dog(s) to the fence and that takes a little while. And if in the long run, a physical fence is a better choice, not worth the money. But, just thought the option was worth mentioning in case there are any other reasons a physical fence remains too difficult to do. There are certain breeds I've heard may not respond as well to invisible fences, but I don't know which those are. They seem to be very effective for all the neighbors that have them, though. They're a poor choice in an area where there is a risk of other animals coming from the outside in, to threaten your dogs.

We definitely want a physical fence up. That way the dogs aren't seeing people walking on the sidewalk and stuff and getting distracted or barking at them. And we back up towards so yes, wild animals coming to the yard right now.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I have taught mine this too.  Oh the body language when she wants to come back in but I tell her 'go potty'.  She drops her ears and her head and plods back out in the yard.  But she knows exactly what I am telling her.  

LOL, Lewis does this too. The look on his face and his whole body language reminds me of telling the kids they had to use the bathroom before donning their snowpants.

Geez, mom! 😂

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yeah if they don't go they just asked to go out again in a bit and I let them out again. But size makes a difference. A toy breed can get lots of exercise running around the living room. And 95 pound dog will destroy the living room doing that. They need more room.

Lambs. Try keeping lambs in the living room. They want to jump and skip which results in someone smacking their head underneath the table over and over again. Lambs are NOT bright! 😂

Ya, you need a fence.

• Haha 4

My hound will roll in yuck at the park, but I think having big dogs keeps the creatures - dead or otherwise - away from the yard mostly. At the park he went through a phase of rolling in dog poop - that was awful. 

This dog really is not the best dog, lol. I love him because he is sweet as can be, but dear lord, never ever ever ever will i get another hound, lol. (he was actually a great dog past puppy hood, right until we moved. Now he's terrible again. Ugh. Mid life crisis?

24 minutes ago, MercyA said:

@Pawz4me, she is adorable! Love the sweater!

It's not the best color for a black dog! LOL. Her pink girl sweaters are in the wash, so she had to wear one of Avatar Dog's boy sweaters (which he never wears anyway unless it's truly cold, which it's not today).  

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

My hound will roll in yuck at the park, but I think having big dogs keeps the creatures - dead or otherwise - away from the yard mostly. At the park he went through a phase of rolling in dog poop - that was awful. 

This dog really is not the best dog, lol. I love him because he is sweet as can be, but dear lord, never ever ever ever will i get another hound, lol. (he was actually a great dog past puppy hood, right until we moved. Now he's terrible again. Ugh. Mid life crisis?

I don't know. We have had the following breeds in the course of marriage: cocker spaniel, black lab, collie, sheltie, border terrier, springer spaniel, and basket hound. We were fine with everyone but the basset. She was, without a doubt, the dumbest animal I have ever had in my life. I have had goldfish with higher training potential than her. Lambs are total idiots, and yet, bottle fed bum lambs were NEVER the problem that basket was. We were hosting a garage sale one day and a guy came along and asked if she was for sale. I told him she was his for free, and off he went. Turned out to be a guy who owned 40 acres and lived on it in a pop up camper. She was definitely better suited for outdoor life so maybe he got along with her okay. I couldn't bond with her. Neither could dh. It was like trying to bond with a rock.

I have to say that the experience left me thinking, "There will never be another hound in my house ever again in this life time!"   Yeesh!

I gotta speak up for the hounds, lol. I'm a hound person - hounds and herding dogs are my favorites. We've had/have several kinds of coonhounds, an English Foxhound, and hound mixes. I love an interesting dog personality, and they've sure got that. Definitely not a good fit for many people or living situations, though.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I gotta speak up for the hounds, lol. I'm a hound person - hounds and herding dogs are my favorites. We've had/have several kinds of coonhounds, an English Foxhound, and hound mixes. I love an interesting dog personality, and they've sure got that. Definitely not a good fit for many people or living situations, though.

It's too bad you missed Faith's garage sale. 😉 

I'm glad the guy who she gave her dog to, turned out to be ok. I would have been afraid to give any animal away to a stranger. I have heard too many creepy stories.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I'm glad the guy who she gave her dog to, turned out to be ok. I would have been afraid to give any animal away to a stranger. I have heard too many creepy stories.

I agree, animals should never be given to a stranger. It is so dangerous for the animal. There are lots of sickos who get free or cheap animals so they can intentionally hurt them. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

He wasn't a total stranger. He was from the area, and our neighbor behind us who was a really great person said it was okay to let her go with him, that she would be fine. Our neighbor was the kind of person who could be trusted, and he knew everyone. We didn't know anyone beyond our streey, but I swear he knew everyone in the whole county.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Yep. Most hounds are incredibly smart, independent thinkers. Which can make them a bit difficult to live with. 😉 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Lambs. Try keeping lambs in the living room. They want to jump and skip which results in someone smacking their head underneath the table over and over again. Lambs are NOT bright! 😂

Ya, you need a fence.

My cousin has kept her chickens in the living room during last week's cold snap. She says they tell her when they need to go do their thing. I had no idea chickens could be house trained!

Edited by Tree Frog
  • Like 1

Just now, Tree Frog said:

My cousin has kept her chickens in the living room during last week's cold snap. She says they tell her when they need to go do their thing. I had no idea chickens could be good trained!

Chickens are reasonably smart! Ducks are not. Ducks have a winning personality which is why people like them. But they are a rung below sheep for mental ability, and that is really just about the bottom of the livestock ladder 😂

Then there are the llamas. Really smart! Also only slightly less evil narcissist than rosters and drakes.

I don't blame your friend for bringing the chickens in. These windchills are terrible, and the wind is blowing fiercely. It is hard for them to stay warm even with a couple of warming lights. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I don't know. We have had the following breeds in the course of marriage: cocker spaniel, black lab, collie, sheltie, border terrier, springer spaniel, and basket hound. We were fine with everyone but the basset. She was, without a doubt, the dumbest animal I have ever had in my life. I have had goldfish with higher training potential than her. Lambs are total idiots, and yet, bottle fed bum lambs were NEVER the problem that basket was. We were hosting a garage sale one day and a guy came along and asked if she was for sale. I told him she was his for free, and off he went. Turned out to be a guy who owned 40 acres and lived on it in a pop up camper. She was definitely better suited for outdoor life so maybe he got along with her okay. I couldn't bond with her. Neither could dh. It was like trying to bond with a rock.

I have to say that the experience left me thinking, "There will never be another hound in my house ever again in this life time!"   Yeesh!

We are bonded, but it is more trauma bonding, lol. Like, I put so much effort into it that we couldn't help but bond. And dear lord does he love me - he was supposed to be DS9's dog, but he is mine. He apparantly cries desperately whenever I'm gone.  I had no idea that the elvis song about the hound dog, "cryin' all the time" was so accurate! They really do cry. And he is good at it - it's somtimes more a whistle, and I swear he can produce harmony somehow!!!

But yeah, the saying here is "hound dogs..not even once". And "friends don't let friends get hound dogs". 

14 hours ago, Selkie said:

Yeah,  I do think if we had more land, and if he hadn't been through 6 other places before we got him at 12 weeks, and picked up tons of bad habits, he'd have been better. I mean, he was basically reverse crate trained when I got him - he'd been kept in a kennel for way too long at a time and learned to potty in it so if he was loose in the house he'd go into his crate to poop! It was SO frustrating. 

I've had stubborn dogs before - weimaraners are not known for their obedience. If you tell a lab to sit, they sit. If you tell a weim to sit, they ask why, what's in it for them? But if you tell a hound to sit they have no clue you were even talking to them, and no concept that they should pay attention to you in the first place. THAT is what drives me nuts. I know they were bred for that - to take off after a scent and it was up to the human to follow along, but man. Ugh. 

• Like 5

I have learned so much about hounds on this thread.   It has been interesting.

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

But if you tell a hound to sit they have no clue you were even talking to them, and no concept that they should pay attention to you in the first place.

I know this isn't funny and is endlessly frustrating but it did make me laugh.   I can picture them standing there staring at you looking completely adorable and yet very confused as to what you are saying.

4 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I have learned so much about hounds on this thread.   It has been interesting.

I know this isn't funny and is endlessly frustrating but it did make me laugh.   I can picture them standing there staring at you looking completely adorable and yet very confused as to what you are saying.

Well, except they likely are not even looking at you, lol. They are smelling something - or licking themselves, whatever. They are NOT dumb. They just are not wired to "read humans" they way so many other dogs are. I mean, most sporting or herding dogs are bred to pick up on what a human wants via body language, etc. Hound dogs...that was not a priority in breeding. Until recently they were outdoor dogs living in packs. They read DOG body language better than most other breeds because of this - he is great with other dogs. But humans? nope. I used to joke that hounds were like kids with aspergers, smart and focused on their own needs but clueless to normal human social cues. Maybe my DS22 prepared me for that a bit. 

Again, he is SWEET and loving and absofreaking gorgeous. And after his miserable puppyhood was a decent adult dog, other than his coonhound genes making him want to go out and bark at possums and "possumbilities" every night after dark, lol. (only once was their an actual possum, the rest of the time he was barking at the wind, or barking in frustration that there wasn't anything to bark at - he truly does have different barks for all occasions! Including a frustrated "there is nothing to bark at" bark.)

• Like 2

Oh - his newest thing is putting himself in his kennel, then somehow pulling the door closed so it looks like he is trapped in there, then barking to be let out. When it isn't closed. Often this is after pooping in the house or stealing food - I think he's trying to give himself an alibi. "couldn't have been me..see how I'm locked in my kennel?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This thread is so NOT encouraging for a new hound owner like myself!

At almost 4 months our little guy (lab-coon hound mix) will now sit on command WITHOUT a food bribe.  We are working hard on 'COME'... he likes to take shoes and toys and run around our kitchen island playing keep-away from us...

We are so hoping the lab half of him will dominate the hound half...

Right now he is cuddled up next to our German Shepherd and they are quietly playing 'My Mouth is Bigger than Yours'... at least they bonded quickly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh - his newest thing is putting himself in his kennel, then somehow pulling the door closed so it looks like he is trapped in there, then barking to be let out. When it isn't closed. Often this is after pooping in the house or stealing food - I think he's trying to give himself an alibi. "couldn't have been me..see how I'm locked in my kennel?"

My puppy did this same thing this past week-- after he had piddled in the house!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Oh good grief! That is some serious conniving! But I get it. Lewis knows when he has been naughty, doesn't care enough to NOT do it, and then runs into his kennel. I swear he is a perpetual 3 year old child!

The smartest and most well behaved dog I have ever known was a standard poodle my friend owned. I have been around absolutely brilliant border cookies before, but this poodle was just amazing. One day I was at her home, and she was watching her then four year old granddaughter who had asked for a piece of cheese. A few minutes later we hear her little voice, "Kessle took my cheese." Friend called him in, took him gently by the chin and asked him if he had taken L's cheese. He actually nodded his head. I nearly fell off the chair! She then asked him if he was supposed to do that, and he shook his head. She told him he had to have a time out, and he voluntarily walked to the corner behind the dining table, turned to face the wall, sat down, and put his nose against the wall. He did not flinch until she finally told him he was done. She then told him to go apologize. He went up to L, extended his paw to shake, and then leaned over and snuggled her.

I wanted to take that dog home!

She also kept three dwarf goats for eating brush, nd never had to have a fence! Kessle herded them so well, they never left the yard. Can you imagine having goats and no fencing? Crazy. And at night he would put them away in the stable and then wait for his master to show up with hay and water. Best dog in the world! I love my Lewis, but there is no way I could have ever trained him like that. And she told me it took very little effort to train Kessle. I am fairly certain she got the Einstein of dogs.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Oh good grief! That is some serious conniving! But I get it. Lewis knows when he has been naughty, doesn't care enough to NOT do it, and then runs into his kennel. I swear he is a perpetual 3 year old child!

The smartest and most well behaved dog I have ever known was a standard poodle my friend owned. I have been around absolutely brilliant border cookies before, but this poodle was just amazing. One day I was at her home, and she was watching her then four year old granddaughter who had asked for a piece of cheese. A few minutes later we hear her little voice, "Kessle took my cheese." Friend called him in, took him gently by the chin and asked him if he had taken L's cheese. He actually nodded his head? I nearly fell off the chair! She then asked him if he was supposed to do that, and he shook his head. She told him he had to have a time out, and he voluntarily walked to the corner behind the dining table, turned to face the eall, sat down, and put his nose against the wall. He did not flinch until she finally told him he was done. She then told him to go apologize. He went up to L, extended his paw to shake, and then leaned over and snuggled her.

I wanted to take that dog home!

She also kept three dwarf goats for eating brush, nd never had to have a fence! Kessle herded them so well, they never left the yard. Can you imagine having goats and no fencing? Crazy. And at night he would put them away in the stable and then wait for his master to show up with hay and water. Best dog in the world! I love my Lewis, but there is no way I could have ever trained him like that. And she told me it took very little effort to train Kessle. I am fairly certain she got the Einstein of dogs.

First, I'm now calling border collies border "cookies" after that typo. 

Second, yes, poodles are so smart - there is.a reason they were circus dogs!

• Like 1