Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

5 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I’m surprised how much of a “meh” this apparently is for so many people. Heart attack deaths increased by about 30% in 25-44 year olds. They increased in all ages, but that’s a stunning statistic to me, and particularly for that age group. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’m surprised how much of a “meh” this apparently is for so many people. Heart attack deaths increased by about 30% in 25-44 year olds. They increased in all ages, but that’s a stunning statistic to me, and particularly for that age group. 

Unfortunately, the anti-vaxxers are attributing that to vaccines, not covid.

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Unfortunately, the anti-vaxxers are attributing that to vaccines, not covid.

Yep 🙄.  Nevermind that that’s not what the data shows. This was the case even before the vaccine was available. But people don’t want to be troubled with facts and reality 🙄.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, KSera said:

I meant to share this article last week, but I don’t think I did:

Strokes, heart attacks, sudden deaths: Does America understand the long-term risks of catching COVID?

It also touches on other related risks such as Alzheimer’s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, KSera said:

Strokes, heart attacks, sudden deaths: Does America understand the long-term risks of catching COVID?

It is so scary.  And to kind of be at the mindset that even if you are masking, vaccinated, and trying to be careful, you probably are still going to get it at some point (or already have). I kind of wish I didn't know these things.  But I don't know how I wouldn't as even if I didn't follow Covid specifically it is all over the news.  I hate covid!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dr Uppity on Twitter: "1/ Since Covid hit the UK I’ve been reading compulsively, like how you can’t help looking as you drive past a car crash. There’s a lot still to research, but I’ve made a rough working model in my mind of how Covid attacks the body, and what the main issues can be. A 🧵" / Twitter

86% of kids under 17 have antibodies from a past COVID infection, CDC data shows

But that doesn't mean 86% of kids under 17 are protected against reinfection.

More than eight in 10 kids under the age of 17 have antibodies from a past COVID-19 infection, according to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The analysis shows that as of August, 86% of children between 6 months and 17-years-old have had at least one COVID infection since the pandemic began.

That number is an increase from data in April, when the public health agency found 75% of people under the age of 17 had been infected with the virus.

"What we have to recognize is this is more of an indication that there's been broad spread of this virus in the pediatric community," said Dr. John Brownstein, an ABC News contributor and chief innovation officer at Boston Children's Hospital. "And that, you know, the kids are not sheltered from this virus. And we know that in a small number of cases, there's severe impacts."

What the findings don't mean is that 86% of children and adolescents are now protected against COVID reinfection because they've had COVID before. Experts have noted that they don't know exactly how long protection from infection lasts after contracting the virus.

• Thanks 4

13 hours ago, KSera said:

It boggles my mind how many people now treat covid as just another virus, like a cold, that they expect to get a couple times a year. I'm afraid we're creating a medical time bomb that is going to have severe social and economic consequences in the coming years.

I got my hair cut a few days ago and wore a tight-fitting KN95 the whole time, even while getting shampooed. The stylist asked if I always wore a mask and commented that she was so glad when they lifted the mandate because she found them really uncomfortable (and she only ever wore a loose surgical mask even when it was mandated). Then she asked if I'd "gotten the new version of covid yet" and was incredulous when I said I'd never even had the "old version."  She said she didn't know anyone who never had it, she and her 10 yr old have had it twice, her DH has had it 3 times, and pretty much everyone she knew had it multiple times because "there's just no way to avoid it" — while refusing to take any measures at all to avoid it.

Edited by Corraleno
typos
  • Like 5
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

It boggles my mind how many people now treat covid as just another virus, like a cold, that they expect to get a couple times a year. I'm afraid we're creating a medical time bomb that is going to have severe social and economic consequences in the coming years.

Same. I read something the other day from someone who’s been studying HIV for two decades and she was saying how while these are totally different types of viruses, the way Covid affects the body reminds her a lot of HIV and it’s far-reaching effects in the body. The difference of course is that HIV was never treated as no big deal and allowed to infect most of the population. We all better hope the gamble this time goes the right direction or we’re in for serious societal consequences. 

• Like 4

On 10/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, Kanin said:

Do you think that your son in school could have had an asymptomatic case, and passed it on? 

So, the son in school tested positive last night and has symptoms today. I think older DS is our index case. I tested negative in the late afternoon, developed symptoms late last night, and I am debating when to test (I don't have somewhere to go). We can get more tests, but if we can make do with what we have, I don't want to waste one by testing too early. We are testing at night since viruses tend to shed in the evening. DH will need to test before working (sporadic schedule). 

We'll do "return testing" before the kids go back to their stuff, but we might be obligated to follow school rules (CDC guidelines) if they no longer have symptoms after five days and send them masked. It sounds like they can stay home longer if they are symptomatic, but I haven't probed that--we received a minimum number of days to be out with statements tacked on such as, "If you feel well." 

• Sad 8

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Didn't read this yet but on FB there are people saying that the removal of the requirement for masks in public health settings/medical settings makes them feel super vulnerable and that they are worthless to everyone else. It makes me so sad. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

16 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Didn't read this yet but on FB there are people saying that the removal of the requirement for masks in public health settings/medical settings makes them feel super vulnerable and that they are worthless to everyone else. It makes me so sad. 

I'm extremely grateful that Oregon still requires masks in all healthcare settings, which they have defined very broadly to include assisted living, nursing homes, pharmacies, dentists, mental and behavioral health counselors, home healthcare providers, and hospice employees. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I'm extremely grateful that Oregon still requires masks in all healthcare settings, which they have defined very broadly to include assisted living, nursing homes, pharmacies, dentists, mental and behavioral health counselors, home healthcare providers, and hospice employees. 

My state of Washington is the same. Even the chiropractor (my chiropractor isn’t anti vax and mask but his partner is but they still have to mask so I just avoid the partner.). 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I switched urologists to a place that supposedly was still masking because I need a scope done, and at the first urology practice (standalone), they'd require me to remove my mask prior to being in the OR. Quite prior--I would be getting IVs, etc. for at least 20 minutes around unmasked people, including medical staff.

I sent multiple messages asking the new place (hospital-based) about these variables--the nurse was militantly ignorant about my actual question and kept talking in ignorant circles. I had a telehealth visit with the actual urologist yesterday, and I told him that I am okay with one-way masking, but I didn't want to have to remove my mask around people who wouldn't be masked. He just made a big stink about how they are following CDC rules as of a few days ago, are not requiring masking, and he didn't answer me directly. It was a combative conversation. 

I have no actual real risk assessment of what happens if I don't have this follow-up scope. The reason for it is relatively rare, so I think the guidelines for follow-up are likely arbitrary and err on the side of caution. The new urologist said that he can't comment on my risk because he isn't the person who actually saw what was seen before--that makes me feel like the pathology report might be more subjective than I was lead to believe. (In fairness, I was up front about the masking concerns, and I told him that I had been trying to get an answer for weeks, and he was willing to not charge me for the visit if the answer to my question wasn't satisfying. But I didn't get an answer, so I tried to find out my risk. GRRR!)

I can't fathom why I need to remove my mask while waiting to go to the OR in the old practice (this is not how it was for my son's surgery). In the new practice, it's quite possible they will refuse to sedate me for the scope, and I might not even need to be in the OR and remove my mask at all, but could the urologist talk about this with me? Nope.

I don't know who has my records now because I was required to ask for my records to be transferred to the new place, and I will definitely not be welcome to follow-up there--the doctor was dismissive, ill informed (he came to the conversation not understanding the status of my issue!), and I said rude things about the hospital policy when he wouldn't answer me. I have had it--it's really hard to be nice to medical people that do.not.care. It's just been too much of that with my son all summer--either they care a lot and do things to high standards, or they just have their little medical clique and do whatever the heck they want even when a person is acting proactive, relevant questions. 

So, yeah, people don't matter at all. 

• Sad 12

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

I switched urologists to a place that supposedly was still masking because I need a scope done, and at the first urology practice (standalone), they'd require me to remove my mask prior to being in the OR. Quite prior--I would be getting IVs, etc. for at least 20 minutes around unmasked people, including medical staff.

I sent multiple messages asking the new place (hospital-based) about these variables--the nurse was militantly ignorant about my actual question and kept talking in ignorant circles. I had a telehealth visit with the actual urologist yesterday, and I told him that I am okay with one-way masking, but I didn't want to have to remove my mask around people who wouldn't be masked. He just made a big stink about how they are following CDC rules as of a few days ago, are not requiring masking, and he didn't answer me directly. It was a combative conversation. 

I have no actual real risk assessment of what happens if I don't have this follow-up scope. The reason for it is relatively rare, so I think the guidelines for follow-up are likely arbitrary and err on the side of caution. The new urologist said that he can't comment on my risk because he isn't the person who actually saw what was seen before--that makes me feel like the pathology report might be more subjective than I was lead to believe. (In fairness, I was up front about the masking concerns, and I told him that I had been trying to get an answer for weeks, and he was willing to not charge me for the visit if the answer to my question wasn't satisfying. But I didn't get an answer, so I tried to find out my risk. GRRR!)

I can't fathom why I need to remove my mask while waiting to go to the OR in the old practice (this is not how it was for my son's surgery). In the new practice, it's quite possible they will refuse to sedate me for the scope, and I might not even need to be in the OR and remove my mask at all, but could the urologist talk about this with me? Nope.

I don't know who has my records now because I was required to ask for my records to be transferred to the new place, and I will definitely not be welcome to follow-up there--the doctor was dismissive, ill informed (he came to the conversation not understanding the status of my issue!), and I said rude things about the hospital policy when he wouldn't answer me. I have had it--it's really hard to be nice to medical people that do.not.care. It's just been too much of that with my son all summer--either they care a lot and do things to high standards, or they just have their little medical clique and do whatever the heck they want even when a person is acting proactive, relevant questions. 

I’m so sorry. I think masking should remain in medical facilities at the very least until Covid fades away (which may never happen). But I make people mad when I say that. Our veteran home just had a big outbreak… 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

I’m really sorry. It’s not right at all. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kbutton said:

This is so incredibly disappointing and frustrating and just awful. I’m so sorry.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My state of Washington is the same. Even the chiropractor (my chiropractor isn’t anti vax and mask but his partner is but they still have to mask so I just avoid the partner.). 

As far as I know the masking requirement in the state for medical facilities is going away when the emergency orders end on the 31st (Halloween).  I am pretty unhappy about it, and would love to hear if you know different.  I have a number of upcoming appointments and DS has monthly allergy shot appointments and I am not looking forward to going when others aren't masked.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Loowit said:

As far as I know the masking requirement in the state for medical facilities is going away when the emergency orders end on the 31st (Halloween).  I am pretty unhappy about it, and would love to hear if you know different.  I have a number of upcoming appointments and DS has monthly allergy shot appointments and I am not looking forward to going when others aren't masked.

According to this, they ANTICIPATE that masking in healthcare settings will continue after. It looks like it’s a Department of Health decision, if I am reading it correctly. https://mrsc.org/Home/Stay-Informed/MRSC-Insight/October-2022/State-of-Emergency-Ends-Oct-31.aspx

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

According to this, they ANTICIPATE that masking in healthcare settings will continue after. It looks like it’s a Department of Health decision, if I am reading it correctly. https://mrsc.org/Home/Stay-Informed/MRSC-Insight/October-2022/State-of-Emergency-Ends-Oct-31.aspx

Thank you!  That makes me feel a bit better.  I hope they come out with something a bit clearer soon.

• Like 1

I had an endoscopy this morning. Masks were required BUT I should have been turned away. My husband was still positive for covid within the last two weeks and no matter careful we were, I was still exposed. I had recent negative covid tests but not in the last 3 days.

When they first called to schedule they wanted me to do it right after my husband was dx and I said no because of the risk of covid. They were really annoyed about it.

• Sad 5

13 minutes ago, SHP said:

I had an endoscopy this morning. Masks were required BUT I should have been turned away. My husband was still positive for covid within the last two weeks and no matter careful we were, I was still exposed. I had recent negative covid tests but not in the last 3 days.

When they first called to schedule they wanted me to do it right after my husband was dx and I said no because of the risk of covid. They were really annoyed about it.

If you’re vaccinated nobody here is concerned about a Covid exposure.  They don’t even ask in the screening questions anymore.

• Like 2

I volunteer at our local blood collection center and donations have been at an all-time low. The #1 reason for donors not donating was the mask mandate (via a survey conducted by the blood center). As of Oct 1, masks became optional for donors and workers. If a donor requested the workers wear masks during the donation process, workers would don masks. The thought process was that donors would jump right back in to donating with the removal of the mandate. It has not played out that way.

On social media, people were posting things like "I'll be right over.", "It's about time. I'll schedule this week.", and other similar phrases.  Those people are not scheduling; at least not in my area. The sister blood center an hour away has closed early a few days due to no scheduled donations. Walk ins are not accepted yet and everything has to be scheduled in advance. Scheduling can be done at any time prior to the appt so there really is no excuse. You can literally be sitting in your car in the parking lot and schedule an appt if there is an opening and come in; you just can't walk in. With nothing on the schedule, the company deemed it necessary to close the doors for those days. 

Unfortunately, a number of donors who have been steadfast throughout the pandemic are upset about the mask optional rule and some have cancelled donations as a result. 

There is no winning in this situation.

• Sad 10

3 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

If you’re vaccinated nobody here is concerned about a Covid exposure.  They don’t even ask in the screening questions anymore.

I wish they would have at least asked about vaccine status! They didn't. 

I took the first slot of the day for a reason.

On 10/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, KSera said:

I think the issue with these stats is that it doesn’t often impact people directly. It’s a huge increase across a population but your chance of individually knowing many individuals in that age group that have a heart attack is low enough that a 30pc increase is probably not really noticeable on an individual level only at a hospital/medical centre level. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think the issue with these stats is that it doesn’t often impact people directly. It’s a huge increase across a population but your chance of individually knowing many individuals in that age group that have a heart attack is low enough that a 30pc increase is probably not really noticeable on an individual level only at a hospital/medical centre level. 

I agree this is probably true, though the Fortune article opened with the fact that the author knew an unreasonable number of young athletic people who had had heart or stroke events post Covid. I expect most people probably don’t though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, KSera said:

I agree this is probably true, though the Fortune article opened with the fact that the author knew an unreasonable number of young athletic people who had had heart or stroke events post Covid. I expect most people probably don’t though. 

My ds is very active and knows two middle aged people who were on different teams with him that recently died suddenly and unexpectedly.  I'm going to ask him if he knows if either or both had Covid.  I wonder if that could be related?  He went to two funerals in two weeks.  😞  

• Sad 8

Covid has found us.  Husband came back from the US on Tuesday asymptomatic - we shared a car and a bed that day and the next.  On Thursday he developed cold symptoms - tiredness, congestion, nothing more.  By chance, I was out all day, and we then chose to sleep separately last night (and used separate bathrooms) although he tested negative.  Strong positive this morning.  He's now holed up upstairs, and I am downstairs and masked whenever I'm not eating/drinking. 

He's doing fine - he had the UK bivalent booster about six weeks ago.  I'm not due for mine until mid-November (and can't move it earlier), but am previously fully-vaccinated and boosted.  I haven't had Covid up to now, and this is Husband's first bout.

What are my odds of getting it, do you think?

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Covid has found us.  Husband came back from the US on Tuesday asymptomatic - we shared a car and a bed that day and the next.  On Thursday he developed cold symptoms - tiredness, congestion, nothing more.  By chance, I was out all day, and we then chose to sleep separately last night (and used separate bathrooms) although he tested negative.  Strong positive this morning.  He's now holed up upstairs, and I am downstairs and masked whenever I'm not eating/drinking. 

He's doing fine - he had the UK bivalent booster about six weeks ago.  I'm not due for mine until mid-November (and can't move it earlier), but am previously fully-vaccinated and boosted.  I haven't had Covid up to now, and this is Husband's first bout.

It's so hard to say.  My ds and his gf were in the same situation but they didn't even isolate from each other and she didn't get it.  And then we see here that other people get it when they are careful and don't know how they could have been exposed.  I know many situations that go both ways.   It's really baffling.  I hope your DH is okay and you stay healthy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really hard to say. My daughter and husband had it this summer (pretty much asymptomatic) but neither my son nor I got it. Of the 4 of us only I am vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I shared a bed the night before he tested positive andnI didn't catch it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea--all four of us are positive after sharing a car for four hours with our positive kid (probably caught it eating in an empty breakroom). We know other families where only on person got it. I think if we'd caught my son's earlier, we might've avoided it with masking and isolation.

I hope you both do well. So far, we're ranging from annoying cold symptoms (3) to relatively bad cold (1). 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I have no idea--all four of us are positive after sharing a car for four hours with our positive kid (probably caught it eating in an empty breakroom). We know other families where only on person got it. I think if we'd caught my son's earlier, we might've avoided it with masking and isolation.

I hope you both do well. So far, we're ranging from annoying cold symptoms (3) to relatively bad cold (1). 

So sorry you all our positive.  Hoping you are all better soon.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/fall-bivalent-boosters-science-update-732?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

The two preprints this week offered fantastic insight into the short-term impact of fall boosters. However, don’t be swayed by the headlines, as one or two preprints are not the whole story. We already have data showing the fall boosters provide broader protection. We have studies showing boosters boost neutralizing antibodies. We just may need time to see the full potential of an updated booster formula compared to the original.

She gets into more detail than this as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Jinx.  We posted at the same time.  Can you tell I have hung out with kids 24/7 all week? 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Ugh I am sorry you have Covid in the house.  I hope you don't end up getting it.

• Thanks 1

Regarding the Twitter thread above, Covid can also enter cells through NRP-1 receptors, not just ACE2.

MedCram is my favorite resource for Covid information. Dr. Seheult explains complex information very clearly.

For post-Covid treatments, Bruce Patterson's IncellDX immune system assay test and treatment plan is very popular with many long haulers. There are others, too. Researchers are learning a lot about how Covid causes damage and are also devising ways to treat it and possibly even prevent it.

It's unlikely we will have a sterilizing vaccine by targeting the spike protein. Targeting a different part of the virus, the nucleocapsid, could be better but that would have to be carefully studied to make sure ADE, antibody-dependent enhancement, doesn't occur. At this point, we probably will not see anything approved too quickly like we saw with Operation Warp Speed.

Masks help but for extra protection nasal sprays can be used as well: xylitol + grapeseed extract (Xlear), iota carrageenan (easy enough to make yourself), and 1% or more povidone iodine (diy instructions are online). We have been using Xlear anytime before and after we might be around a Covid carrier and have added an diy iota carrageenan spray, usually only before possible exposure. I keep bottles by our doors and also in our car. I am going on a long flight in a few days and will use an N95 mask on the plane but also plan to use nasal sprays.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Also, if you ARE close to a younger person who has a heart attack post covid, you're not going to know if it wouldn't have happened without covid, and, for a whole lot of people, it's easier to believe that of course it would have happened anyway. Anecdotally, I know of a lot more heart attack deaths in people I'm connected to in some way over the past couple of years than I would have expected....but, I mean, I'm also getting older, as are the people in my circle of friends/acquaintances. 

• Like 1