Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

24 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Yesterday I attended a small group event with our Congressman. We had been asked to wear masks and everyone came in wearing masks. They told us that, if we were comfortable, we could remove our masks and everyone immediately pulled it off.

I never think it’s fair when people do that, honestly. If people are told an event will require masks for everyone, that may be what makes it safe enough for someone to attend. If after they get there, everyone removes their mask, they are suddenly much less protected. There’s also a subtle peer pressure thing in that scenario that some people might be susceptible to. 

I’m glad to hear cases have dropped so much where you live though. Hopefully everyone will be there soon and against all odds, the removal of masks and other protections won’t land us right back in another big wave. I know we are all so tired of enduring a pandemic. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Bob Wachter had a long thread on twitter the other day about when he'll go back to indoor restaurants and stop masking in most situations....there were assorted caveats, but it boiled down to when cases are under 10/100,000 per day in his area. I appreciated seeing an actual number, with a lot of thoughtful reasoning behind it, and also one that seems like it might actually happen soon in most places (although likely not stay there forever; I'm expecting to be adjusting my behavior based on case counts for the foreseeable future). My husband and son were just in Cleveland last weekend and ate at indoor restaurants a couple of times...so I was pleased to read the thread and realize that they happened to be in one of the only parts of the country that comes in under the 10/100,000 threshold. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, kokotg said:

My husband and son were just in Cleveland last weekend and ate at indoor restaurants a couple of times...so I was pleased to read the thread and realize that they happened to be in one of the only parts of the country that comes in under the 10/100,000 threshold. 

Cleveland is doing very well, but they aren't under that threshold according to this, right?  We live in the next county over and our cases have dropped dramatically - what a relief.  

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view?list_select_state=Ohio&data-type=Risk&list_select_county=39035

46 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Cleveland is doing very well, but they aren't under that threshold according to this, right?  We live in the next county over and our cases have dropped dramatically - what a relief.  

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view?list_select_state=Ohio&data-type=Risk&list_select_county=39035

The NYT map has Cuyahoga county at 8.6/100,000 (averaged over the past week): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html

ETA: looks like your link shows cases per 100,000 over 7 days, whereas the thread I was talking about looked at daily cases per 100,000.

Edited by kokotg
  • Thanks 1

We made it! The five day average (they don't report on weekends or federal holidays and then only on M.W.F.) was 1186 per day.

So maybe in a week we will be below 1000 per day. I am also watching the rates for our county. I feel like I might be able to get my hair professionally cut at the end of the month. I might even consider being there long enough for a foot soak. 

We are still wearing our KN95's when out and about. I am anxiously waiting warm enough weather to participate in outdoor dining.

• Like 3

Well, that vindicates my decision not to take my mask off and eat on the train. I just got 'pinged' by the test and trace system that I was within two metres of someone for fifteen minutes or more who has now tested positive. I did take quick sips of water  - six-hour journey - so fingers crossed.

I don't need to self isolate but I do need to test and report for seven days. I'm meeting a friend outdoors today, so I'll check with him that he still wants to meet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I don't need to self isolate but I do need to test and report for seven days.

How does this work? Does everyone who gets pinged have to do this and is it daily home tests that you do? Or do you do PCRs at certain intervals?

How long ago was the exposure? I hope you stay clear!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KSera said:

How does this work? Does everyone who gets pinged have to do this and is it daily home tests that you do? Or do you do PCRs at certain intervals?

How long ago was the exposure? I hope you stay clear!

Daily lateral flow tests at home if asymptomatic.  PCR at a testing centre if symptomatic.  All vaccinated adults are meant to do this. The rules are different for children and the unvaccinated - not clear about those.

Tests can be picked up for free at a pharmacy without any registration procedure. I've been testing daily anyway because I'm travelling and having more contact.

Exposure was on the 21st.

Eta. The irony is that I think I'm the last person in England to be pinged. The system stops from today.

BBC News - Covid: England ending isolation laws and mass free testing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60467183

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Maine's numbers are unreliable at the moment, they're working through a huge backlog of positive tests. Hopefully the actual current cases are going down!

From everything I’ve read, they are going down. Todays paper reports that hospitalizations are the lowest in 4 months! I think you’re right about the test backlog, it’s skewing the numbers higher than they actually are. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My son has tested positive on two lateral flow. He's waiting for PCR. He is triple vaxed and has mild cold symptoms.  He thinks he probably got it in a shop, but I don't know if he is masking these days.

This is my son's story as well this week.

• Sad 9

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

ff405bf1-3994-4f30-817c-d92c20fd0639

Michigan went back up from around 1200 cases per day, to 2000 at the end of the week. But, from what local HCW's are saying, they think was a clearing out of a back log of tests, and that we will be back down by the end of the week. I hope they are right. Spring break is right around the corner for numerous Michigan universities. Chances of students staying home and not taking covid back to campus? Probably not good, although my collegian says he knows no one who has any significant spring break plans. Many of them are seniors and will be returning for a grueling last seven weeks of school, and want to do nothing but eat home cooked meals and sleep! Fingers crossed....I am hoping they don't muck it up and end up with in person commencement canceled!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Michigan went back up from around 1200 cases per day, to 2000 at the end of the week. But, from what local HCW's are saying, they think was a clearing out of a back log of tests, and that we will be back down by the end of the week. I hope they are right. Spring break is right around the corner for numerous Michigan universities. Chances of students staying home and not taking covid back to campus? Probably not good, although my collegian says he knows no one who has any significant spring break plans. Many of them are seniors and will be returning for a grueling last seven weeks of school, and want to do nothing but eat home cooked meals and sleep! Fingers crossed....I am hoping they don't muck it up and end up with in person commencement canceled!

Also hoping for an in-person graduation here! DD will be home applying for jobs during spring break, not traveling 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Good read. I had a couple minor quibbles, but one of the things I particularly didn't like was reading that the risk of long covid in kids appears somewhere between 2-7%. Long term effects are my biggest concern for my kids getting covid at this point, and the current mask off, no protections guidelines don't take long covid into effect at all. They seem only focused on the fact that healthy vaccinated people are unlikely to be vaccinated or die of covid. I think a lot of people don't realize what a high risk 2-7% is when we're talking about a whole population. That is a HUGE number of children. 20-70,000 for every million children in a population. I don't know why that would be a number we are okay with. I hope to goodness most of those are only temporary long covid effects.

eta: reading the study she links to with the 2-7% number, that number doesn't seem reliable to me. So, I'm back to not having any idea how frequent long covid is in kids.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

My college dd just got a positive at school.  Her friend tested positive yesterday, so this wasn't a surprise.  She had been quarantined with a negative test in January right after her booster, so I guess that probably wasn't Covid after all.  She's in good spirits except is missing a dorm activity that she was really looking forward to.  She had a sore throat yesterday, less today, light cough and congestion.  So far, it's not too bad for her.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3