Menu

Do I need/want a sleeper sofa?

ktgrok

We have always had a sleeper sofa in the living area, and often when a kid was sick I'd pull it out and sleep with them on it. Didn't actually have overnight uests, lol, but kids liked "camping" on it from time to time as a treat, or I'd use it when DH was snoring. 

I was thinking we'd get a new one when we replace this one (smells like dog, it's 10 yrs old from Ikea, etc) but really...maybe I shouldn't bother? We have a daybed upstairs with a trundle, so two twin beds there for sleep overs. And DH is putting a futon in his office upstairs, so another sleeping space. Only real reason to have a sleeper sofa in the family room is to have extra sleeping downstairs...I was thinking that way my mom who is getting to the point where stairs are harder would appreciate that if they slept over, etc. BUT...now my parents are selling their house and moving to the same area as I am in - likely won't be more than 15 minutes away. And even now, they have a place to sleep at my sister's house and are in fact living with her part time as she deals with long Covid symptoms. Sister is 8 minutes away, and all one floor. (plan is for parents to buy a house in same neighborhood as sister, or to buy a bigger house and them all live together). So....odds of my mom ever sleeping here are pretty dang small, right? 

The big used leather couch we bought for the living room/front room/palor is HUGE and REALLY comfy to lay down on - the previous owners said they took many naps on it, and my 6' son has been found dozing a few times - the angle of the arm is such that it is like a pillow almost. I've already dozed on it myself. (photo below shows my 5'1 self and my 95 pound dog, lol). So that's another place to crash, plus if my older one has a young adult friend over they would be fine crashing on a regular couch especially since they are so wide/big now, right? 

So, forget paying extra for sleeper sofa? Or will I regret not getting it? (I really want either leather or removable slip covers like our current Ikea one and they just don't have any that are both removable covers and sleeper sofa in stock and likely won't for a while, which made me stop to think if I really needed sleeper part)

image.thumb.png.7d8cf3c28c107cd655c69e264874b6cf.png

• Like 3

We had to make the same decision, and decided against getting a sleeper sofa.  Fact is, we have enough sleeping spaces, and we have a portable cot stored as a just in case.  It wasn't worth the extra expense (twice as much for a sleeper sofa as our current one), but I do have plans to eventually get a Sactional set up for the basement, which can be configured to a bed shape if necessary.  I need 4 pieces down there that are more flexible than the current set up.

32 minutes ago, East Coast Sue said:

Definitely, no sleeper sofa. They are so heavy to lift or move and not nearly as comfortable as an air mattress. 

do you have any recommendations for an air mattress?  We have a very very old sleeper sofa that we use regularly when all of my kids are home to visit but it's such a mess and would be nice to replace with an air mattress.

Skip it--they are heavy, not all that comfortable, and hard to move around or dispose of.

Get a deep air mattress instead, with an electric air pump.  Those are as high and almost as comfortable as a regular bed, much easier to move around, not heavy, and more versatile.  Or don't get anything until you need it, and THEN get the latest greatest air mattress.

• Like 2

We bought a leather sectional and I did a huge amount of research to be sure I got good leather....best decision ever with the dogs.  

And yes skip the sleeper sofa. You have been so accustomed to being in a small space you will have to rethink a lot of things.....oh and I love the pic.