Menu

Ants in drawers and on clothes - what to do? Need help ASAP

Kassia

Dd is in college and has a huge ant problem in her room.  She just found them in her drawers and they are all over her clothes.  What does she do with her clothes now?  Does she wash them?  If so, wouldn't she just end up with dead ants all over the clothes?  I really don't know how to help her.  She never dries her clothes because of shrinking but I don't know if she should wash them or not.  

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Are the ants dead?  I would spray first then shake to get rid of as many as possible before washing.

If Baygon is a thing there put lines of it across the entrance points - it’s magic.

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

borax mixed with honey and put in sauces  same stuff as ant rid

the ants will eat it and carry it back to their nest

She has been using ant bait with borax and they've been feeding on it and going back to the nest.  She just discovered them crawling through the drawers and doesn't know what to do with her clothes.  I thought of shaking them all out too.  What a pain for her.  😞  I feel so bad. 

I've been telling her over and over to contact maintenance about this and she hasn't because the bait seemed to be working.  They need to come out there and caulk, find the entrance, and spray outside (she's on the first floor) immediately.  

I would bag up the clothes and bring them outside to shake them out. I don’t think she needs to wash them all. If it were something else (like bedbugs or mites) I would wash them. Put bait in the drawers for now and keep clothes out if there until it’s taken care of. Can she change rooms?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kristin0713 said:

I would bag up the clothes and bring them outside to shake them out. I don’t think she needs to wash them all. If it were something else (like bedbugs or mites) I would wash them. Put bait in the drawers for now and keep clothes out if there until it’s taken care of. Can she change rooms?  

I don't think there are any available rooms, unfortunately.  She's been sleeping at her boyfriend's house most nights because she was worried about ants crawling on her at night.  She thought they were getting better yesterday and stayed in her apartment and then discovered them in the drawers.  Good idea to put bait in the drawers.  

I know it’s a pain, but I would wash all the clothes (once she has ant free environment to return them too—plastic bins until the infestation is resolved?).

IME ants are so…clingy. I have a hard time washing them off my hummingbird feeders under a strong spray of water. I can’t imagine they would shake out of clothing very easily. But a washing machine should do the trick, I would think (the dishwasher does lol). Hopefully she has any free zone where she can dry her clothes (boyfriend's?). 

Sounds miserable. Good luck to her in getting them under control! 

3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I know it’s a pain, but I would wash all the clothes (once she has ant free environment to return them too—plastic bins until the infestation is resolved?).

IME ants are so…clingy. I have a hard time washing them off my hummingbird feeders under a strong spray of water. I can’t imagine they would shake out of clothing very easily. But a washing machine should do the trick, I would think (the dishwasher does lol). Hopefully she has any free zone where she can dry her clothes (boyfriend's?). 

Sounds miserable. Good luck to her in getting them under control! 

Thank you.  I'll tell her to wash them all and store them somewhere safe.  I don't know if she has extra plastic bins but she has suitcases or she can get some plastic storage bags for clothes if needed.  Maybe she can hang them to dry in a roommate's room but I hope that wouldn't be a risk to them even though I can't imagine the ants would survive a wash cycle.  Her boyfriend commutes and lives with his parents - not sure how much she can do there.  They've already been incredibly generous and welcoming by opening their home to her and allowing her to stay frequently.  We live 1200 miles away so there's not much we can do.  

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

The only bait traps that have ever worked was terro liquid ant baits. Must be liquid kind.

That's what she got!  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCUW1M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

• Like 1

Is this a dorm or apartment?  She needs to make sure the RA and/or apartment manager knows.  They should spray to keep them from coming back.

I’d launder and dry everything or take things to s dry cleaner that can’t be dried like wool. Sometimes ants eat things like glue in carpets so I’d wonder if they were either building a nest or found something to eat in her clothes. 

That said, what I would do would change based on what sort of flooring she has.  If it’s hard, I’d carefully use straight Clorox bleach to mop all their paths.  It will remove them and kill ants still there. Then I’d use diluted bleach (10%) to mop the rest of the floor. 

If the floors are carpet, I’d use food grade DE (diatomaceous earth), you can get it and a “duster” from Amazon to spread it around the room.  If she gets it on her skin it will get dry, but it’s not toxic.  It is a very fine powder she shouldn’t inhale so use a mask when spreading or vacuuming it.  With that, spread a fine layer around the room.  The ants will die, but it takes several hours, and they will take it back to their nest.  I might use it and leave it down 24 hours, then vacuum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Katy said:

Is this a dorm or apartment?  She needs to make sure the RA and/or apartment manager knows.  They should spray to keep them from coming back.

I’d launder and dry everything or take things to s dry cleaner that can’t be dried like wool. Sometimes ants eat things like glue in carpets so I’d wonder if they were either building a nest or found something to eat in her clothes. 

That said, what I would do would change based on what sort of flooring she has.  If it’s hard, I’d carefully use straight Clorox bleach to mop all their paths.  It will remove them and kill ants still there. Then I’d use diluted bleach (10%) to mop the rest of the floor. 

If the floors are carpet, I’d use food grade DE (diatomaceous earth), you can get it and a “duster” from Amazon to spread it around the room.  If she gets it on her skin it will get dry, but it’s not toxic.  It is a very fine powder she shouldn’t inhale so use a mask when spreading or vacuuming it.  With that, spread a fine layer around the room.  The ants will die, but it takes several hours, and they will take it back to their nest.  I might use it and leave it down 24 hours, then vacuum. 

It's an on campus apartment.  We keep insisting to her that she has to contact maintenance and tell them they need to get to her room ASAP.  She has bare floors and has always been very careful to keep things clean because she didn't want to attract bugs.  This all started a few days ago when there was a bug in her room and she killed it but then realized she didn't clean it up well enough and it attracted ants.  Since then it's been a nightmare.  😞  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Thank you.  I'll tell her to wash them all and store them somewhere safe.  I don't know if she has extra plastic bins but she has suitcases or she can get some plastic storage bags for clothes if needed.  Maybe she can hang them to dry in a roommate's room but I hope that wouldn't be a risk to them even though I can't imagine the ants would survive a wash cycle.  Her boyfriend commutes and lives with his parents - not sure how much she can do there.  They've already been incredibly generous and welcoming by opening their home to her and allowing her to stay frequently.  We live 1200 miles away so there's not much we can do.  

That's what she got!  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCUW1M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

These are what I use. https://www.target.com/p/terro-liquid-ant-baits-6ct/-/A-13294208? Where do you put the liquid? I’ve never seen it like that. I use the ones in these plastic tray.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

These are what I use. https://www.target.com/p/terro-liquid-ant-baits-6ct/-/A-13294208? Where do you put the liquid? I’ve never seen it like that. I use the ones in these plastic tray.

I actually don't know.  DH told her she had to get the other kind and told her what to do.  I can ask him later if you want.

22 minutes ago, SKL said:

1) Shake out the clothes and wash them.

2) Immediately invest in the following product and use it ASAP.  It works in a day or two to remove every single ant.  Trust me.  (No I am not an investor in this company.)

https://smile.amazon.com/TERRO-Liquid-Ant-Killer-T200/dp/B0015031R8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=terro+ant+liquid&qid=1634652048&sr=8-3

Thanks.  She already bought that a couple of days ago and is using it.  It has made a huge difference. DH insisted on her getting that exact product.  

29 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Does she use dryer sheets?  I keep a dryer sheet in my mailbox because otherwise the ants get all in it.  I don’t know if it would work to put one or 2 in her drawer to drive the ants away, but it might be worth trying while she gets in touch with maintenance.

She doesn't use them (she has super sensitive skin) but maybe one of her roommates does.  Worth a try.

If I wash things in Sal's Suds the ants refuse to go there. So I suggest, wipe down her dresser drawers with Sal's. She can also wipe down any other areas with Sal's that she sees ants. Keep bait as well. A combo of bait and wiping down areas they are sited, works. Sal's is concentrated, but it is not a harmful chemical or soap, it is made by Dr. Bronner's. 

• Thanks 1

If she’s chemically sensitive and doesn’t want to smell bleach you could try a strong solution of oxiclean first.  In theory peroxide breaks down protein better than bleach, but idk about the pheromones in insect paths. I’ve never tried it.  

I’d just use gloves and deal with bleach because I know that works both to kill and remove the paths. I’ve used it on ants inside in several new apartments when I was young. Bleach smells but breaks down to water and salt after use, so it isn’t toxic for long. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

She doesn't use them (she has super sensitive skin) but maybe one of her roommates does.  Worth a try.

We have super sensitive skin...SUPER! Like we cannot even paint our walls with regular paint. Really really sensitive skin. So I get it. The Sals Suds is safe for that. She may not like the smell so much (for her clothing), but if she left the drawers open a bit, they will dry. She can also wash her clothes with it to make them less appealing for the ants until they stop wanting to visit her clothing. The smell is close to spruce scent.  Here is the ingredient list: 

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Coco-Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Abies Siberica (Siberian Fir) Needle Oil, Picea Glauca (Spruce) Leaf Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Hydroxide

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bluemongoose said:

We have super sensitive skin...SUPER! Like we cannot even paint our walls with regular paint. Really really sensitive skin. So I get it. The Sals Suds is safe for that. She may not like the smell so much (for her clothing), but if she left the drawers open a bit, they will dry. She can also wash her clothes with it to make them less appealing for the ants until they stop wanting to visit her clothing. The smell is close to spruce scent.  Here is the ingredient list: 

Water, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Coco-Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, Abies Siberica (Siberian Fir) Needle Oil, Picea Glauca (Spruce) Leaf Oil, Citric Acid, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Hydroxide

Thank you!  I found it on Amazon and I could get to her by tomorrow.  It's expensive but worth it if it will work.

I've had really good luck with cinnamon oil. They hate cinnamon. You mix a bit of the oil with a teeny bit of water and just smear it everywhere. A nice thick line of it on every area where they can get into the spaces where you need to exclude them. I've found this works really well alongside the bait. The bait kills them. But when they're everywhere and keep coming, I find it takes much longer than a couple of days to get rid of them for good. Maybe new ones from a different center come or something. I'm not sure. But the cinnamon will exclude them. Period. They hate it and won't cross it for several days. It's extra useful if you can deal with ants on your floor, but not, say, in your kitchen cabinets. You let them be on the floor and get to the traps so they'll die off and stop coming long term, but you protect your food (or your clothes!) and discourage them in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  I found it on Amazon and I could get to her by tomorrow.  It's expensive but worth it if it will work.

You are welcome. It is highly concentrated, a little goes a long way! I thought it was crazy when I discovered it by accident, but I googled Sal's Suds gets rid of ants and there is an article about the fact that it works. I hope her ant issue resolves quickly.

• Thanks 1

If she can see their point of entry, just ask her to sprinkle diatomaceous earth surrounding the entryway of the ants. They die very soon after coming in contact with it.

once when my pantry cupboards  had ants, I use windex and sprayed all the shelves and left them wet for a while before wiping off windex. The ants hated the windex and left the area.

• Thanks 1

The landlord/dorm people should be dealing with this. Has anyone reported it? The ants aren’t harmful, but who wants that? I’d remove them with shaking, a lint roller, or washing. My money is on them mostly going down the drain. 

A box of borax is cheap. I mix equal parts borax and sugar and dissolve in hot water. Then soak it into cotton balls and put them near the ants. They’ll make a party of it, but they should be gone or mostly gone by the next day. Sometimes they rally and you have to do it more than once. 

This might be the worst year we’ve had with ants. For the first time I’m considering treating for them around the perimeter of the house. So far I’ve just been using the borax solution. It buys me a month and then they’re back. In the past this was just a spring problem, but this year they’re relentless. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

If she puts some peppermint scented castile soap (like Dr Bronner's) in a spray bottle with plenty of water, the spray will knock ants dead and wiping it up with the same spray will erase the trails they follow.

Bill

Everyone tells me this (and the cinnamon), but I have to say, the ants that come to my house have not heard about this.  I saturated the entire kitchen with Dr. Bronner's peppermint scented castile soap, and the ants did not mind a bit.  I also put lines of cinnamon all around my kitchen like I was casting a spell or leading Hansel and Gretel into the forest, and the ants blithely ignored the cinnamon as they continued to swarm my sink for water.  

ETA:  They complained a bit about the liquid Terro traps, but while many died, many survived and just sent little notes saying, "Thank you for the treats, but maybe next time with less poison?"  We finally resorted to calling an exterminator, but I will admit this is the first year in like 12 that we have done so.  Usually the Terro traps work. The peppermint and cinnamon never have for me.

Edited by Terabith
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Everyone tells me this (and the cinnamon), but I have to say, the ants that come to my house have not heard about this.  I saturated the entire kitchen with Dr. Bronner's peppermint scented castile soap, and the ants did not mind a bit.  I also put lines of cinnamon all around my kitchen like I was casting a spell or leading Hansel and Gretel into the forest, and the ants blithely ignored the cinnamon as they continued to swarm my sink for water.  

ETA:  They complained a bit about the liquid Terro traps, but while many died, many survived and just sent little notes saying, "Thank you for the treats, but maybe next time with less poison?"  We finally resorted to calling an exterminator, but I will admit this is the first year in like 12 that we have done so.  Usually the Terro traps work. The peppermint and cinnamon never have for me.

Did you spray the soapy water directly on ants? In my experience it kills them dead w/o the use of pesticides. And also erases trails.

Obviously does nothing to destroy colonies (which takes bait or other methods) and the soap doesn't block ants from coming back.

But it does make reinfestation less likely if their trail cleaned up.

Not a perfect solution, but preferable to using "topical" insecticides (especially indoors) that are no more effective for direct elimination of visible ants and w/o the toxins. 

Bill

8 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Did you spray the soapy water directly on ants? In my experience it kills them dead w/o the use of pesticides. And also erases trails.

Obviously does nothing to destroy colonies (which takes bait or other methods) and the soap doesn't block ants from coming back.

But it does make reinfestation less likely if their trail cleaned up.

Not a perfect solution, but preferable to using "topical" insecticides (especially indoors) that are no more effective for direct elimination of visible ants and w/o the toxins. 

Bill

Yup.  Sprayed the ants themselves, who shrugged off the soapy water like teeny tiny super heroes and gave us doleful looks.  And I washed the sink and the counters with the soapy water.  They ignored it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yup.  Sprayed the ants themselves, who shrugged off the soapy water like teeny tiny super heroes and gave us doleful looks.  And I washed the sink and the counters with the soapy water.  They ignored it.  

Huh. You must have a more robust species of ants than we do here in So California.

Soapy peppermint spray knocks ours dead.

Bill

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Huh. You must have a more robust species of ants than we do here in So California.

Soapy peppermint spray knocks ours dead.

Bill

These particular ants did seem unusually hardy.  They were completely uninterested in food, too.  They were after the water from the sink.  The ants that come over near one of our windows can be taken out by peppermint soapy water, but not these kitchen ants.  

I wouldn't be too concerned about ants...  I mean, get rid of them!  But other than that, they're just a nuisance.  It's strange they'd be in her clothing drawer.  We've had many ant problems over the years, and they're either attracted by sugar or fat/grease.  I wonder if she has something in her clothes (something sweet?), like in a pocket, or in her drawers?  Or maybe it just happens to be along their path to something they're trying to get at.  But we have had them come in from outside sometimes just because there's some easy way in, and then they kind of zig-zag around until they find something they like.  (Either sugar or grease.)

Terro works for sugar ants, and those were the most common for us.  We did have grease ants when we lived in Latin America, and those tend to be a little hardier.  I think between borax, and something else that I can't remember! -- we got rid of them.   I remember using a natural ingredient and saturating paper towels with it and putting them in strategic places along their path.   I can't remember what it was, but maybe you can google it.

I'd probably suggest she wash her clothes.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 4:18 AM, Kassia said:

I don't think there are any available rooms, unfortunately. 

They actually may have spare rooms. (They will not be available when you are signing up for housing.) I had an issue with a girl in my dorm. Even though our dormitories were "full" I learned they keep spare rooms available in case emergencies happen. In my case it was pretty major (police were involved and stuff), but I was told usually colleges will keep spare rooms available for such emergencies. I don't know if ants or ant abatement will warrant this.

However you do not get a huge choice on where you end up. For me and my roomate we ended up on a boy's floor. 

• Like 1