Menu

Dog people help

Scarlett

My dogs knocked a glass jar of Marsala off the pantry shelf in my laundry room ..".. I walked into the laundry room from the garage to a badly broken laundry room smeared with the remnants of licked up Marsala sauce and blood.  A good portion of the broken jar was just…..gone.

How bad is this? 

• Sad 1

I'm so sorry that happened, Scarlett. Emergency vet bad, I'm afraid.

ETA: I really don't know but I'd call immediately in case there's something they can do if glass may be in upper GI tract, and before it moves lower. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

There are two of them.

Also no emergency vet.  Well not within an hour of me. And Dh is out of town.

I have no way of knowing if any of the pieces of glass were big. 

I had a dog once who knocked a crock pot off the counter. The entire  whole chicken was gone as well as all bones and all broken glass chards.  He lived 12 more years. No vet trip.

Sigh. 

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

There are two of them.

Also no emergency vet.  Well not within an hour of me. And Dh is out of town.

I have no way of knowing if any of the pieces of glass were big. 

I had a dog once who knocked a crock pot off the counter. The entire  whole chicken was gone as well as all bones and all broken glass chards.  He lived 12 more years. No vet trip.

Sigh. 

It doesn’t matter if the pieces are big or small - both are dangerous. I would be in the car right now headed for the vet who is an hour away. At the very least, call them and see what they advise.

• Like 2

Hey Scarlett you must be worried sick. Sorry.

Getting to a vet would be the best thing (by far) but if that just can't happen, I'd feed the dog something that might wrap around any swallowed glass. Soft spongy white bread or something like that. Not too much, but some.

Is the dog's mouth cut/bleeding?

Bill

• Like 2

I've been reading.

As I suspected, feeding some plain soft bread is recommended. Other possible feeding options include mashed potatoes or (plain, not spiced) canned pumpkin.

I would do that ASAP. Does not need to be a lot. A slice (or two, or half) depending on the size of the dog. Just something to potentially catch any shards as they pass through the GI tract.

Bill

• Like 1

Also been checking on my hunting dogs forum resources, where the go-to remedy seems to be (believe it or not) is using real 100% cotton balls (NOT synthetic cosmetic pads) broken into tiny pieces and then soaked or smeared with something yummy: olive oil, cream, ice cream, milk, liverwurst, etc.

I've seen similar amounts in multiple places:

5 - 10 lbs feed 2 cotton balls.
10 - 50 lbs feed 3-5 cotton balls.
50+ lbs feed 5-7 cotton balls.

A little out there, but same concept as the bread. Get something around the glass. Old timers seem to swear my this method. You decide.

The canned (unspiced pumpkin) is to keep the bowels moving, avoiding impaction, and getting the glass (if any) out.

Bill

When my dog ate safety glass, the vet suggested bread and pumpkin like Spy Car suggested. It was in the height of Covid so the vet was working with limited staff. Since it was safety glass, it was little cubes not shards. If it was shards of glass the vet would have wanted to see her to ultrasound the belly and make sure it all passed without perforating the bowel. 

My daughter had dropped something heavy into a glass bowl with pasta and olive oil in it. The bowl shattered. We tossed the bowl and pasta into the trash. The dog ate the pasta and glass bowl along with it. 

We did give her bread, but we figure some of the pasta/oil probably helped her pass it all as well. She refused the pumpkin. We watched for it in her stool, but never saw any. We figure it just hid in the stool and I wasn't going digging for confirmation. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Well I gave her a slice of bread…9 grain.  Who actually has white bread in their house? I tore it into bits and she scarfed it down.   I am also thawing out some pumpkin that I will give her.  My dss  has gone to bed with his dog who was also involved…..I have no idea which of them ate the most…

if she is having trouble by morning I will take her to the vet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Well I gave her a slice of bread…9 grain.  Who actually has white bread in their house? I tore it into bits and she scarfed it down.   I am also thawing out some pumpkin that I will give her.  My dss  has gone to bed with his dog who was also involved…..I have no idea which of them ate the most…

if she is having trouble by morning I will take her to the vet.

If it is a comfort to you--and it should be--I've read of many people whose dogs have swallowed glass on a variety of dog forums I know and most have passed the glass w/o incident.

Nerve racking as all get out.

Glad about the bread and pumpkin. That seems like the standard of care.

Best wishes.

Bill

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

If it is a comfort to you--and it should be--I've read of many people whose dogs have swallowed glass on a variety of dog forums I know and most have passed the glass w/o incident.

Nerve racking as all get out.

Glad about the bread and pumpkin. That seems like the standard of care.

Best wishes.

Bill

Thank you.  I fed her 3/4 of a cup of sweet potato.  I also knocked on dss’s door and suggested he give his dog a slice of bread and the remainder of the sweet potato.  

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

They both seem fine.  No lethargy, no trouble pooping….no glass in poop that I can easily see…….🤷🏻‍♀️

Good news. I'd keep bulking them up on pumpkin (for fiber) or similar to keep things moving for the next couple days.

Black stools would be a sign bleeding internally, sounds like no such issues. 

Thanks for updating.

Bill

ETA: If you feed kibble, I'd also hydrate it well with warm water prior to serving until you are post-crisis.

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Good news. I'd keep bulking them up on pumpkin (for fiber) or similar to keep things moving for the next couple days.

Black stools would be a sign bleeding internally, sounds like no such issues. 

Thanks for updating.

Bill

ETA: If you feed kibble, I'd also hydrate it well with warm water prior to serving until you are post-crisis.

I wish I had thought if hydrating.  Dss beat me home tonight and feed mine before he left and he was gone when I got home.  

13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dss’s dog wasn’t interested in eating tonight…."ds’s went out seemingly unconcerned…..when I got  home I baked her a sweet potato and fed that to her.  At first I thought she was going to turn it down but she did eat it.  

If her appetite is more lackluster than usual, she needs to see a vet now. That is one of the danger signs.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Dss sat with her and she did eat when he got home.  She seemed fine last night and this morning.  My dog too.

Keep monitoring stool color. Black stools are evidence of internal bleeding. Normal color is a positive sign.

I'd do another day of high fiber pumpkin (etc) along with pre-hydrating the kibble. Are you seeing normal stool production?

Bill

12 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Keep monitoring stool color. Black stools are evidence of internal bleeding. Normal color is a positive sign.

I'd do another day of high fiber pumpkin (etc) along with pre-hydrating the kibble. Are you seeing normal stool production?

Bill

Yes I am.  I appreciate all y'alls advice.