Menu

Am I the only one who thinks Saxon Math is boring?...

MitchellMom

I have been using it for almost two weeks with my daughter and I am sooo bored with it. We are using Saxon Math 1 and it just feels so monotonous ... am I the only one who feels this way?... Is there any math curriculum that is exciting and new and different every day????

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the meetings are rather monotonous, but the lessons change daily, so I actually find it interesting, and so does my dd. I never know if it'll be a lesson about measuring or geometry, or addition, etc from day-to-day (unless I've looked ahead, of course). My 1st dd used a mastery workbook course for the early years in it was boring. Just chapter after chapter of addition or subtraction. There were 2 or 3 chapters of geometry and measurement, but the rest was all the same.

Just my limited experience! :)

We felt the same about Saxon. My son hated the repetition. We kept with it from 1 - halfway through 3 because it was so highly recommended by all the experienced homeschoolers we knew. My son had a fit, saying "I get it already!" after the 5th spiral through something. He was frustrated with the small increments of instruction and wanted a bigger bite of the apple each time. It was time consuming for me to have to find all the lessons on a given topic. Also, the review was overkill for him. I then ran into some friends who were using Miquon and Singapore. They called Saxon "drill and kill."

We are very happy with Singapore. We just use the basic program without much supplementation other than math facts. So far it has worked very well for us. Oldest has taken the SAT through talent search and has done very well on the math portion. The other kids are doing well on it.

I have felt the same! We are also doing Saxon 1 with ds. But, just stick with it. It doesn't have to entertain you. Get into the routine, give it time. I don't know what this rush is to want to either stop doing it or get through it as soon as possible that I have! My husband reminds me the importance of it and he has his phd in theoretical physics! I go with what he says and push my thoughts away. My son is learning very well too.

I have felt the same! We are also doing Saxon 1 with ds. But, just stick with it. It doesn't have to entertain you. Get into the routine, give it time. I don't know what this rush is to want to either stop doing it or get through it as soon as possible that I have! My husband reminds me the importance of it and he has his phd in theoretical physics! I go with what he says and push my thoughts away. My son is learning very well too.

Hmm ... my gut was telling me to try Singapore but after reading your post I feel kind of guilty, like I should stick with Saxon a while longer. Can anyone tell me why Singapore is more exciting? (I already have their Earlybird Math in my RR shopping cart!!!) :)

I have the perspective of treaching both Saxon 1 and 2 concurrently. This has made me bold enough to tweak the program. I know where I am going with the 1st grader and can therefore decide when to speed up and when to slow down. My advice, don't be bogged down by the lesson structure and script. I was so weary of reading the scripted lessons to my child. I read them and picked the important points. If they understood something on the first example, I would give them the next one to complete on their own. If they got it, then we moved on. The repetition of a spiral approach reinforces the concepts so I know whether or not they are really getting it.

We also practice the couting and such for one week a month. If there is a new skip counting pattern, we practice daily until they are proficient and then drop back to once or twice a week, then only the one week a month. The same with patterning and the coin cup. We also skipped the lessons about drawing trees for the different seasons.

That said, I did not start formal lessons at lesson 1. They took tests until there was material they did not know. We have only had to backtrack once with each child to reinforce a concept (it only took a day). We began our school year in July and I will be moving them into the next level of Saxon in January. We have less than 10 lessons left for each child. We will finish out December with math drills and math games.

I hope this helps.

I didn't even try Saxon because it looked boring. We tried R&S which is mastery and my daughter cried every time the math book came out after the first couple of weeks because it was both boring and too much writing. We are MUCH happier with Right Start - it's spiral and although there are some lessons that repeat a few times, it's nice to be doing different things in each lesson. Yesterday after we had finished math, we were starting her reading lesson and DD pops out with "No! I want to do math! I like my math!" It's so nice having a program that finally works for us.

If only I could get that kind of reaction with all her school stuff. :lol:

I never even looked at Saxon. Everyone, every single person, that I know who uses/used it said it was hideously boring and their kids hated it. Most of them thought their kids learned math well, but no way was I going to make my kids slog through a boring math program that they disliked.

We use RightStart and we adore it. Different activities every day, but they all reinforce the concept being taught.

Tara

I have been using it for almost two weeks with my daughter and I am sooo bored with it. We are using Saxon Math 1 and it just feels so monotonous ... am I the only one who feels this way?... Is there any math curriculum that is exciting and new and different every day????

Thanks in advance.

Another idea is to add Singapore to do with Saxon. Two curriculums gives you a break from the same routine and may give you a different perpective on how to approach a topic.

The appeal of Saxon is its thoroughness. It fills gaps with its review. We use Saxon a few days a week, and Singapore a few.

I have one child that likes the predictability of Saxon and another who commented to me last week that she thinks its too easy. She loves Singapore.

Good luck:)

I have the perspective of treaching both Saxon 1 and 2 concurrently. This has made me bold enough to tweak the program. I know where I am going with the 1st grader and can therefore decide when to speed up and when to slow down. My advice, don't be bogged down by the lesson structure and script. I was so weary of reading the scripted lessons to my child. I read them and picked the important points. If they understood something on the first example, I would give them the next one to complete on their own. If they got it, then we moved on. The repetition of a spiral approach reinforces the concepts so I know whether or not they are really getting it.

We also practice the couting and such for one week a month. If there is a new skip counting pattern, we practice daily until they are proficient and then drop back to once or twice a week, then only the one week a month. The same with patterning and the coin cup. We also skipped the lessons about drawing trees for the different seasons.

That said, I did not start formal lessons at lesson 1. They took tests until there was material they did not know. We have only had to backtrack once with each child to reinforce a concept (it only took a day). We began our school year in July and I will be moving them into the next level of Saxon in January. We have less than 10 lessons left for each child. We will finish out December with math drills and math games.

I hope this helps.

I never thought of giving her tests to see if she knew everything. In doing this, wouldn't I miss out on teaching her how to write the date? That seems the big, most important thing right now. I have to say, though, that she already understands calendars, months, and days. The only thing she gets out of this is learning how to write a date.

Another idea is to add Singapore to do with Saxon. Two curriculums gives you a break from the same routine and may give you a different perpective on how to approach a topic.

The appeal of Saxon is its thoroughness. It fills gaps with its review. We use Saxon a few days a week, and Singapore a few.

I have one child that likes the predictability of Saxon and another who commented to me last week that she thinks its too easy. She loves Singapore.

Good luck:)

Two at a time ... isn't that a lot of jumping around?... Don't they forget the Saxon stuff between lessons?....

I never thought of giving her tests to see if she knew everything. In doing this, wouldn't I miss out on teaching her how to write the date? That seems the big, most important thing right now. I have to say, though, that she already understands calendars, months, and days. The only thing she gets out of this is learning how to write a date.

Two at a time ... isn't that a lot of jumping around?... Don't they forget the Saxon stuff between lessons?....

Don't you end up spending a ton of time on math?

I am glad of this thread. I was regretting not going with Saxon.

DD does not like MUS worksheets, so I make my own about half the time, but the concept still gets taught! We started with Horizons and hated the incremental approach. Mastery is the only way I know how to teach, and DD likes it that way. We will probably dig Horizons back out as a review.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to agree, but tell you to stick with it anyway. Here's why:

We started with Saxon K and loved it, then went to Saxon 1 and I just thought it was the dullest thing in the world. It was a yawner to teach every. single. day.

So, I switched. Big mistake. Long story short, 3 years and 2 other math curricula later, we're back with Saxon and doing wonderfully.

While I found it dreadfully dull, I failed to realize how good it was for my ds. He really struggled and floundered with the other programs we tried. Not until we went back to Saxon did he start to like math again, and excel at it.

Sometimes, the curricula *we* like, isn't always what is best for our dc. Take a step back and try to assess whether or not it is working for your child before you consider jumping to something else. Switching math programs is always problematic, so make *sure* what you're doing now isn't right for your child before you ditch it.

It was strikingly boring as a student and I can't find it in me to teach it. Fun for us is Singapore but our main program is MUS. We really like MUS but it isn't different everyday. That is why I would suggest Singapore for you.

:iagree:

That is why I just can't bring myself to even touch it. I used it through high school and I never wanted to touch or see it again! We love Life of Fred with some MUS here. Colorful manipulatives and humor go along way in our house.

(I already have their Earlybird Math in my RR shopping cart!!!) :)

Just a couple comments.

- If you do decide to go with Singapore, watch what level of Earlybird Math you go with. I (personally) wouldn't drop back to Earlybird Math if you are using Saxon 1 & your child pretty much knows most of it already. There are placement tests to see if your child is ready for Singapore 1A.

http://www.sonlight.com/singapore-placement-tests.html

- I've never used Saxon, but I do use A Beka Math which is supposedly "similiar" to Saxon. I learned to teach the things my child doesn't already know, quickly review (1-2 problems) things we've recently learned and are still struggling with, and only sometimes review (1-2x per week) the items my child has already mastered. This means that I can sometimes skip an entire lesson (happens once every couple of weeks). My oldest easily keeps up with teaching five lessons in four days with this method. When we did *everything* listed, she HATED math and it took a long time each day to "get through it."

- I used Singapore 1A & 1B workbooks only as a "review" tool in the summer between A Beka 1 & 2. She enjoyed the different format although the novelty wore off fairly quickly.

- Each kid is different. Sometimes one program works for one & doesn't work for another. Sometimes you think something will be great for a child and after working with it for awhile, both of you realize it is NOT good.

- Trust your gut. A HS friend of mine researched many of the math programs out there and she thought MUS was the right fit for her oldest. Then, she got Saxon K, 1, & 2 used for a "great" deal. She & her child struggled through Saxon K & 1 before ordering MUS. They are SO MUCH happier now that they are working through MUS.

If all your child is getting out of the Saxon stuff right now is writing the date, you need to move onto something more challenging. You can teach her to write the date (or any other thing she doesn't know) any time or in addition to any lesson. We frequently see a teaching moment for something and then when we get to it in the math book later, my kids already have been introduced to it (and/or have mastered it).

Good luck with your decision!

But many people recommend starting Saxon in 54 once the maths facts are learned. Books 1, 2 and 3 are notorious for being boring.

I think all maths can be pretty boring though. And I dont use Saxon because it doesn't suit my kids.

That's funny, I was told the opposite. Saxon is the best for the early grades but gets tedious and overkill after 3rd.

Through the years I sometimes questioned whether there wasn't something better or more exciting or more innovated or maybe not so "big" but at the same time I saw my friend flip from program to program to find the perfect math curriculum and you know what? There isn't one. They all have different philosophies and they all have good and bad. Generally speaking I think sticking with a program is a good idea. Math is hard work (harder for some kids). That's what I've learned from 8 years of hsing.

Here's my perspective: I first heard of Saxon when I started homeschooling my dd, then beginning kindergarten. I couldn't imagine spending $100 for a K math program, especiallly a scripted one that looked sooo boring. So we went with a combo of Singapore and Miquon. Inexpensive, effective, and perfect for dd's learning style. She went all the way through Singapore PM series and started with MUS Pre-algebra, doing Algebra now in 7th.

So here I am last year, after having finished 1st grade with my second-born (ds) and feeling like a failure with math. We tried Singapore, MUS, and a variety of generic math workbooks--math was torture for both of us. I had this preconceived notion of Saxon as boring, simply because it was not a good fit for dd all those years ago. A friend convinced me to try Saxon with ds, and boy, am I glad I listened. We're halfway through 2nd grade now, using Saxon 2, and I am amazed at the difference in math between this year and last. Saxon's careful, incremental approach is just the right fit for my kid who needs to hear everything in little bits and over and over again. He's getting math and feeling successful with it, which is something we decidedly did not have with Singapore and MUS.

It was with much trepidation that I plunged into Saxon, mainly because I thought it looked boring. For my personal learning style, and my daughter's, Saxon would not be a good fit, but for my son it is a godsend. Saxon is not for every learner, neither is Singapore nor MUS. The key is finding what works best for each child and being willing as a teacher to go there. For those that are finding Saxon's repetition and bit-by-bit learning a drudgery, by all means look for something else. For those struggling with a mastery-based approach or for learners who need more review, Saxon might be a perfect fit--don't be afraid to give it a try.

Not everything needs to be taught as "school". Things like telling time, using calendars, and writing the date all get used almost daily by adults. As some point, your child is going to need to do it. At that point, you show them how it works. Because you aren't trying to do it (usually) before they are old enough to do it easily, they learn it quickly. A good rule of thumb for school versus non-school items is whether the item shows up frequently in a non-school context. If the answer is yes, then you will have plenty of opportunities to teach it to your child, and be reminded to teach it. If the answer is no, then you might want to make sure you do it in school. If tieing shoes didn't show up in your school curriculum, you wouldn't be worried about it, right? But how to draw a graph or divide fractions should.

HTH

-Nan

Just a couple comments.

- If you do decide to go with Singapore, watch what level of Earlybird Math you go with. I (personally) wouldn't drop back to Earlybird Math if you are using Saxon 1 & your child pretty much knows most of it already. There are placement tests to see if your child is ready for Singapore 1A.

http://www.sonlight.com/singapore-placement-tests.html

- I've never used Saxon, but I do use A Beka Math which is supposedly "similiar" to Saxon. I learned to teach the things my child doesn't already know, quickly review (1-2 problems) things we've recently learned and are still struggling with, and only sometimes review (1-2x per week) the items my child has already mastered. This means that I can sometimes skip an entire lesson (happens once every couple of weeks). My oldest easily keeps up with teaching five lessons in four days with this method. When we did *everything* listed, she HATED math and it took a long time each day to "get through it."

- I used Singapore 1A & 1B workbooks only as a "review" tool in the summer between A Beka 1 & 2. She enjoyed the different format although the novelty wore off fairly quickly.

- Each kid is different. Sometimes one program works for one & doesn't work for another. Sometimes you think something will be great for a child and after working with it for awhile, both of you realize it is NOT good.

- Trust your gut. A HS friend of mine researched many of the math programs out there and she thought MUS was the right fit for her oldest. Then, she got Saxon K, 1, & 2 used for a "great" deal. She & her child struggled through Saxon K & 1 before ordering MUS. They are SO MUCH happier now that they are working through MUS.

If all your child is getting out of the Saxon stuff right now is writing the date, you need to move onto something more challenging. You can teach her to write the date (or any other thing she doesn't know) any time or in addition to any lesson. We frequently see a teaching moment for something and then when we get to it in the math book later, my kids already have been introduced to it (and/or have mastered it).

Good luck with your decision!

Wow, this is a very thorough and excellent response - thanks! So many people say they are combining MUS with Miquon. I am amazed that people can do more than one math. Would MUS and Singapore compliment each other well?...

I'm one who started her kids with Saxon 5/4 after they learned their math facts; I blogged about it once here. My kids are very different people, but Saxon "works" for both of them because the children work. They read the lesson, then do the problems. They might have to read something three times before it sinks in, but that's what studying is all about. ;) I do think Saxon is boring, but my kids are learning math and they're learning it well, and that's all I care about.

Wow, this is a very thorough and excellent response - thanks! So many people say they are combining MUS with Miquon. I am amazed that people can do more than one math. Would MUS and Singapore compliment each other well?...

I think MUS works with other programs because you can use it as an additional TM. It teaches the concept in a different, concrete way and then they can do corresponding work in any program. My DD does not like the MUS worksheets, so I just make my own half of the time. I was thinking about getting Math Mammoth b/c then the worksheets are done for me.

Actually using two curriculums would help to prevent you from skipping around (switching curriculums) by giving variety and fresh perpective. It does require a bit more planning ahead, but it is another option.

I have used both Singapore and Saxon from the start, and there is stability for the child when sticking with one (or in my case - both) for the long term. I have not evaluated Math programs beyond the sixth grade yet.

Good Luck.:)

I have combined Saxon and Singapore for my older two children. I hated Saxon enought that for my third I'm doing Singapore and Miquon.

My method . . .

- I did the unit tests at the beginning of each year. They would test close to 100 percent until about a third of the year (that alone told me how much review Saxon had!). When they started struggling on the tests I would review the individual sections they were struggling with or start into the daily work if they seemed to need more enforcement.

-After eliminating about the first third of the book we could finish the book by doing Saxon on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

-We worked through Singapore on Tuesday and Thursday. If we had extra time in the spring we would do Singapore five days a week.

-Two other notes: Many people just skip Saxon 1. Lots of schools do this for kindergarten but rarely for first grade. A typical private school and most homeschoolers do Saxon a year ahead. For second grade they use Saxon 3 etc. On the other hand, Singapore is at least a half a year ahead. So my third grader is using Singapore 2B.

Hope this helps you think some of this through. I am personally enjoying the Miquon and Singapore mix. They are short enought that I usually do both every day. They don't emphasize skip counting as much as I would like and don't spend near as much time on calendars so these are things I add in. Neither of them forces the child to learn their math facts. Singapore assumes you do that separate. But both of these programs use very visual and hands on methods so I have found my youngest can learn the math facts with out a lot of sweat and tears. Saxon is definately a drill and kill program!

That's funny, I am a math geek and that is why I hate it. We wanted to know more, but not necessarily do the same thing endlessly. That is why we love Singapore - it gives a much deeper understanding of math.

:iagree:

I don't think math is boring, and I don't want my kids to think it's boring. There are many interesting career paths that require a strong math background.

To the OP, if YOU don't like Saxon, I suggest looking at some of the other programs suggested. One of the joys of homeschooling is getting to use what works best for your family.

They have to write the date and day of the week on the lesson every day. They will learn that no matter how you chose to cover the subjects. Remember that the pacing of the book is a suggestion. I listen to my children when they say they understand something. Trust me, it will show up on the daily worksheets if they don't understand.

I've been doing Saxon 1 and 2 with my boys, and I don't care for it. It seems to really plod along, and I feel they are capable of more. I did a search and found this site: http://www.mathematicallycorrect.com/books2y.htm which reviewed various curriculum used in schools, and I decided to give the SRA Math: Explorations and Applications a try. (One of the posters here - Maverick - who is a math major had also recommended it.)

There's also an updated version called SRA Real Math (just published last year, not to be confused with the 10-year-old one) that looks really good as well.

Although I agree with the poster who said you need to be aware of how a math program is working for your child, whether it bores YOU or not, the sad fact is (for me) that if I hate doing something, I'm less likely to do it! maybe I'm just not disciplined enough. :D

I'm one who started her kids with Saxon 5/4 after they learned their math facts; I blogged about it once here. My kids are very different people, but Saxon "works" for both of them because the children work. They read the lesson, then do the problems. They might have to read something three times before it sinks in, but that's what studying is all about. ;) I do think Saxon is boring, but my kids are learning math and they're learning it well, and that's all I care about.

Here, too.

I have never even considered that math should be 'fun'.

Uh, it's math.....

Of course, I'm no engineering major, either.;)

My son tested at a 9th grade level in math while in the 5th grade last year, so I could care less if he thinks it's fun or not. 3rd grade son tested at a 7th grade level, so I guess Saxon does work.

Here, too.

Uh, it's math.....

My son tested at a 9th grade level in math while in the 5th grade last year, so I could care less if he thinks it's fun or not. 3rd grade son tested at a 7th grade level, so I guess Saxon does work.

:eek:

Have you checked out some of the books and games suggested at http://www.livingmath.net? They might help make math more interesting for you. It's discouraging when teachers already have the attitude that math is boring.

I know! I'm like this with grammar, LOL.:tongue_smilie:

:blink:

But grammar is so much fun!

:lol:

OK, girls, I'm a freelance editor and I love love love grammar! I could do it all day! My children are going to throw tomatoes at me one day. Even now I'm correcting the way they talk. Double negatives ... UGH! :ack2:

Uh, it's math.....

My kids love math. We have a fun and engaging program and my kids look forward to math. Math doesn't have to be drudgery. Not everyone will love math, but to go into with an attitude of "meh, math," doesn't seem like it would give a student any chance of enjoying math. I want my kids to master math and excel at it, but not at the cost of hating it.

Tara

We are using two sides of the Saxon coin right now. I have 3rd graders doing the scripted saxon 3, and we often find it too easy and have completely dropped the meeting and coin cup. We often skip lessons and just take the test...and go on. I supplement with worksheets and online math games.

BUT

My 6th grader is using Saxon 7/6 and it seems to be a great fit. She's self-teaching, and learning quite well it seems. The whole format is different from the earlier grades.

We are really looking forward to switching to the new format next year with my younger two :)

I struggle with math myself, and it's a must for us to have something very thorough and in a simple format for me to help them with it.

• 3 months later...

Now that it's been a few months, I just wanted to post an update and say we are LOVING SRA Real Math! It was just published in 2007 and isn't as easy to find as SRA Math: Explorations and Applications (which is also great), but it's worth looking for (eBay, Craigslist, whatever). The thing you have to watch out for is that there are TWO teacher's manuals for each grade, and then there are a bunch of supplemental books they publish (Enrichment, Assessment, etc.), so make sure you're getting the actual regular student handbook. (You can find specific ISBN numbers on the publisher's website at https://www.sraonline.com/search.html?PHPSESSID=0b44488e74b9c31303d22e45a384f4b5.)

These are textbooks designed for public schools, and just like Saxon you occasionally have to tweak it a tiny bit. Some things we love about it are:

- It's colorful - both student and teacher's manuals are crammed with full-color photographs

- Almost every lesson has a game (it comes with game mats sold separately or in the back of the teacher's manual) that reinforces what you've learned and makes it FUN

- It introduces more advanced concepts more quickly than Saxon did (which may be a downside for some, but my son was getting BORED with Saxon and was ready for more)

- The instruction in the teacher's manuals are very clear, don't require a lot of prep, and appeal to many different learning styles

- From 3rd - 6th grade, the textbooks are not consumable

Anyway, since I grew up hating math, I was hoping not to pass that on to my own kids. So far, this is working for us - to the point that I've bought the next few grades already when I've found them at good prices! :001_smile:

I've been doing Saxon 1 and 2 with my boys, and I don't care for it. It seems to really plod along, and I feel they are capable of more. I did a search and found this site: http://www.mathematicallycorrect.com/books2y.htm which reviewed various curriculum used in schools, and I decided to give the SRA Math: Explorations and Applications a try. (One of the posters here - Maverick - who is a math major had also recommended it.)

There's also an updated version called SRA Real Math (just published last year, not to be confused with the 10-year-old one) that looks really good as well.

Although I agree with the poster who said you need to be aware of how a math program is working for your child, whether it bores YOU or not, the sad fact is (for me) that if I hate doing something, I'm less likely to do it! maybe I'm just not disciplined enough. :D

No, you aren't the only one.

I see by your .sig you did EB Math...why didn't you continue?

As for "exciting and new and different" every day, math is a staircase at this age (at least it is for mine). I wouldn't call our math new and exciting and different every day, but we do have variety (e.g. flash cards for drill one day, a double dice (one inside another clear one) and a function dice we throw and then add or subtract depending on what it thrown, or Addition War (card game), or abacus work) but it is my doing, not a set of instructions. I read the HIG for Singapore and get ideas but what we do for the day is an adaption of what he needs to start on, or have practice in, or have reinforcement in, in combo with what I will have enough interest in to make it interesting.

Recently I've taken to moving the flash cards into the discard pile for the easy ones, so he just gets a decent look at it, instead of having as much time as he likes with it right there in front of him. I thought it would help him with mental math, but he thinks it is a race, and we squeal and giggle through much of flashcards. Not the kind of thing a boxed curriculum can help you with.

HTH