Menu

Early Marriage

TexasProud

Is it truly that hard for teens and college-age people to remain virgins? Honest question, no judgement because I honestly did not. I went to public school through college and grad school. I was propositioned a fair amount and certainly the media made it seem like I was an outcast. In real life though I had friends who were virgins and friends who were not (some based on a conscience decisions, others on moral, others just life). It never really seemed like a huge deal at all. I have always wondered if the "difficulties" surrounding being a virgin came mostly from the media. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Is it truly that hard for teens and college-age people to remain virgins? Honest question, no judgement because I honestly did not. I went to public school through college and grad school. I was propositioned a fair amount and certainly the media made it seem like I was an outcast. In real life though I had friends who were virgins and friends who were not (some based on a conscience decisions, others on moral, others just life). It never really seemed like a huge deal at all. I have always wondered if the "difficulties" surrounding being a virgin came mostly from the media. 

My question is how does not dating make that easier?  I would think that being in a relationship with someone who shares your values, and your decision to do this hard thing, would make it easier.  Most things that require a lot of willpower are easier if you don't do them alone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

My question is how does not dating make that easier?  I would think that being in a relationship with someone who shares your values, and your decision to do this hard thing, would make it easier.  Most things that require a lot of willpower are easier if you don't do them alone. 

Maybe.... But it's also easier to avoid sex if you avoid people with whom you would be likely to have sex.  It probably depends on the couple and how much they are actually committed vs pretending to be for the sake of their parents or religion.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Clarita said:

I don't think so.  But for me, I knew ( and have taught my children) that NO method of birth control is 100 percent, so if you are going to have sex, then you better be prepared to raise a child. I had way too many goals I wanted to reach to have a baby. I didn't trust any guy enough to raise a child with either before my husband. It just wasn't worth the risk. Had nothing to do with religion, though I do believe that God wanted me to save myself for marriage, but even more than that it just made practical sense.  And we conceived our 3rd while faithfully using the pill for nearly 12 years at that point...

12 minutes ago, Clarita said:

The only difficulty I had remaining a virgin was when I was in a committed romantic relationship with my now-husband.  Thankfully we were both on the same page about what we wanted. I guess I always figured that different people have different challenges and this is harder for others.

43 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

My guess (I have no evidence to back it up) is that kids from households with married, never divorced parents who like each other are more optimistic about marriage and might be more inclined to marry younger. 

That has not been my observation. I found that a lot has to do with the typical age at which young people in their and their parents' circle marry.
A young person close to me has grown up in a stable loving no-divorce family in NYC;  people in his circle don't get married until around 30; he considers himself way too young to undertake marriage in his mid-twenties.
(In contrast to that, in my rural Midwestern area, early marriage is extremely prevalent) 
Stable no-divorce parents for me. I got married at 25, for solely practical reasons and I was the first in my circle of friends to marry. (My sister , I admit, is an outlier; she got married at 49.) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TexasProud said:

None that I know of.  Now in the public high school out of 250ish we had 6 pregnant seniors.  I only know one of them and she isn't getting married and is raising the kid alone / well with parents help, crib in her room. 

That’s good p, I guess, about the ones who aren’t pregnant but are getting married. At least the complication of a baby isn’t factored in.

Maybe most of them will have sex a couple years, get it out of their systems,  and get divorced, hopefully still without kids. I remember reading articles about “starter marriages” a little while back. 

33 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Is it truly that hard for teens and college-age people to remain virgins? 

27 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Yes

Agree.   I wanted to and I…did not succeed.  In fact, I succumbed way quicker than I ever would have imagined.   

Someone earlier in the thread (or maybe it was even another thread?? It’s been a rough day today…) said “We” remain chaste or “We” save sex for marriage or something along those lines and I actually laughed out loud.    No, “you” saved sex for marriage.  Your kids will do whatever the heck they want.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

Agree.   I wanted to and I…did not succeed.  In fact, I succumbed way quicker than I ever would have imagined.   

Someone earlier in the thread (or maybe it was even another thread?? It’s been a rough day today…) said “We” remain chaste or “We” save sex for marriage or something along those lines and I actually laughed out loud.    No, “you” saved sex for marriage.  Your kids will do whatever the heck they want.  

You are right, but I believe I've scared the heck out of them. They all know we had our daughter by accident, while on birth control.  They know that no method is 100 percent, so you better not have sex if you don't want a baby. 

• Like 1

Just now, regentrude said:

I didn't say you did. Am I the only one to whom the term has these connotations?

I’m not sure. 

Let’s ask the rest of the class.

Class, what connotations do you think of when you here the phrase:

”Starter Marriage”

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

You are right, but I believe I've scared the heck out of them. They all know we had our daughter by accident, while on birth control.  They know that no method is 100 percent, so you better not have sex if you don't want a baby. 

My mom did, too.  Most of my cousins had ‘accident’ babies by the time I was sexually active.  I **wish** it would’ve stopped me, but it didn’t.  I even had unprotected sex.   🤦🏻‍♀️   It’s why when ds got his first gf at 16, we told him to try not to have sex, but also use our credit card if you need condoms.    😞

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Well, I guess if you define sex as only piv. I have a feeling a lot of young adults and teens engage in other, well, methods.(Trying not to be graphic given we don't want to alert the interest of the wrong kicks of websites and people.)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I didn't say you did. Am I the only one to whom the term has these connotations?

You’re not the only one.  A ‘starter’ set of anything is the first thing with the intention of upgrading to more.  A ‘starter’ house is the first house with the intention of upgrading to better.  So, a ‘starter’ marriage sounds like a first marriage with the intention of ‘upgrading’ to a ‘better’ one or mate later.  

Edited by WildflowerMom
Missed a letter
  • Like 3

I have never heard the term "starter marriage" used by anyone else but I have used it. I was surprised when I moved down south how many other young (or new, not always young) moms I met were on second marriages. It seemed more people than not that I met would mention having been married briefly (less than two years or so) before married the man they ultimately would have children with. It surprised me because coming from a family with little to no divorce I guess I figured that was a really short time to be married and what could go wrong so quickly? Of course, I understand now as I am older and wiser. 

That said I remember thinking and then saying "It seems most people around here had starter marriages before they went on to the real deal." I know many people in long term marriages that are second marriages after having a brief young marriage. But I don't think or ever thought it was an intention. Just the way things worked out. But surely it could be intended, I guess. It just would never occur to me to think that way 😞

Edited by teachermom2834

3 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

My mom did, too.  Most of my cousins had ‘accident’ babies by the time I was sexually active.  I **wish** it would’ve stopped me, but it didn’t.  I even had unprotected sex.   🤦🏻‍♀️   It’s why when ds got his first gf at 16, we told him to try not to have sex, but also use our credit card if you need condoms.    😞

I guess I just do not understand this at all. The thought of this scared me to death... I guess I am just cautious. Always wear seatbelts, etc.   If something is going to cause me harm, then I don't do it....  I just don't get it at all. 

• Like 1

I guess I just do not understand this at all. The thought of this scared me to death... I guess I am just cautious. Always wear seatbelts, etc.   If something is going to cause me harm, then I don't do it....  I just don't get it at all. 

Some people are just more risk adverse than others and it applies to sex as well. We knew a youing couple who got foolishly caught in a compromising situation. Another mom said "I just don't understand that at all. I've never had my sex drive overule my common sense." Obviously not everyone can make that claim!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Of course it is has that connotation.  And I doubt anyone gets married with that mindset....but once they divorce and remarry they refer to the first marriage as the starter marriage. 

5 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Some people are just more risk adverse than others and it applies to sex as well. We knew a youing couple who got foolishly caught in a compromising situation. Another mom said "I just don't understand that at all. I've never had my sex drive overule my common sense." Obviously not everyone can make that claim!

I guess, because yeah. I don't get it.  For one thing, to have sex you have to be completely relaxed, vulnerable, able to truly open yourself up...   Being scared to death of getting caught, having people walk in.....  how is that even real sex??   I just cannot imagine having it under those conditions.

36 minutes ago, regentrude said:

OMG, what? That's a thing???

Not going into the first one.  Only in retrospect.  But it's definitely much more likely in areas where it's common to marry before 25.  Most of my North-Florida friends got married and divorced and remarried before 30.

I guess, because yeah. I don't get it.  For one thing, to have sex you have to be completely relaxed, vulnerable, able to truly open yourself up...   Being scared to death of getting caught, having people walk in.....  how is that even real sex??   I just cannot imagine having it under those conditions.

I'm trying not to laugh.  To some people it isn't that sweet, innocent, or vulnerable.  It's just a physical need like any other.  They have sex with whoever is around them that they are attracted to who will consent at the time and if there's a risk of getting caught it's even more exciting.  Not to me, but I know MANY people like that.  I'm surprised you don't, or didn't when you were younger at least. Did you ever see Sex and the City?  That was out when I was in college and it was pretty much like 1/3 of the people in school with me. Even women.  Very pro-sex feminists who thought it was a good idea to sleep around like a man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I guess, to me, dating is how you get ready for marriage.  My 14 year old currently has a "girlfriend", another rising 8th grader, and although I seriously doubt he'll end up marrying her, I can already see how this relationship is giving him opportunities to practice the communication skills, and the problem solving skills, that he'll need if or when he does get married.   And, because he's young, he's willing to ask me a million questions, and to let me provide more coaching than I'd be able to do with an older teen.  

I find that disturbing.....I would not want to be practiced on. 

It just seems to me that getting to the adult point that you decide you want to get married should be part of an individual's growth.  

Now if two people make the decision to commit to marriage....then sure, as @Terabith mentioned, a lot of growing, learning, growing up, can happen within that committed marriage.  

6 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

So, I feel compelled, as a sex ed teacher, to point out that if you use the bolded as a definition of sex, then in fact you CAN get pregnant without sex.  Not to mention infected all kinda ways.  

When I tell my students you can't get pregnant without sex,  I use a different definition. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Actually, I am (and was) the total opposite of risky (with the one exception of sex, which, thank you Jesus, has only ever been had with my husband because I was not great at making good decisions  wrt sex!).  I (and my cousins) were raised conservatively in Christian homes by fairly strict parents, surprisingly.  My mom was the least strict parent out of the bunch, but my dad was the most, lol.  (I’m talking about my closest cousins btw, because we were raised all together basically as sisters and our mothers were all sisters).    All of us girls had premarital sex, with the oldest having a botched abortion that could’ve killed her at 16 and the others having either a surprise baby or ‘scares’ at some point.  All of us went to college, are still married to their first and only spouses, are religious, and conservative people (not talking politically).    What I’m getting at is that none of us were ‘bad’, went ‘rogue’ from Christianity (even during our escapades), or were raised in anything less than a conservative Christian home.  It happens!    Never underestimate hormones! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Hmmmm....I think some people are not particularly tense about it. I personally was relaxed without feeling vulnerable or worried about risk, and we didn't have sex where there was an issue of being "caught". Not everyone has sex in the conditions you describe. Dh and I were on our own before we were even dating, is by the time we dated, had privacy. He had an apartment and private bedroom, I had no roommates in my dorm room, he had a car, and if we wanted to really be away from others, he would get a hotel room or a campsite. It wasn't tense sex. I think people just have different experiences. I would not have been keen on it if we did not have privacy. As for teens, I know a ton of them that are on their own most of the time after school, and an awful lot during the evening and on weekends, parents not around. I would imagine I'd they are sexually active, they don't really fear being walked in on.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

So, I feel compelled, as a sex ed teacher, to point out that if you use the bolded as a definition of sex, then in fact you CAN get pregnant without sex.  Not to mention infected all kinda ways.  

When I tell my students you can't get pregnant without sex,  I use a different definition. 

I am not understanding this at all.  I am not having penetration s.., oral se.. whatever unless I have complete privacy. If I do ANY of that, I could contract an STD or get pregnant.  My point with the bolded is that I cannot imagine having sexual relations if I am worried the whole time. That isn't fun and isn't sexy.  Fun is being able to go whole hog without any worries and letting yourself go completely. I wasn't having se... until I could have fun, which meant waiting until marriage.  

I am not understanding this at all.  I am not having penetration s.., oral se.. whatever unless I have complete privacy. If I do ANY of that, I could contract an STD or get pregnant.  My point with the bolded is that I cannot imagine having sexual relations if I am worried the whole time. That isn't fun and isn't sexy.  Fun is being able to go whole hog without any worries and letting yourself go completely. I wasn't having se... until I could have fun, which meant waiting until marriage.  

You wrote in response to a post about people having accidentally pregnancies that they weren't having "real s . . . x".  I assure you that if a baby results from an act, other than some intentional fertility procedures, it's really s . . . x.  

Just now, BaseballandHockey said:

You wrote in response to a post about people having accidentally pregnancies that they weren't having "real s . . . x".  I assure you that if a baby results from an act, other than some intentional fertility procedures, it's really s . . . x.  

Ok, yes.  You are right. But FOR ME, that is NOT how I would EVER want to experience it. EVER.

But of course that is sex. Heck, it doesn't have to be enjoyable to be called sex, but it isn't what I want to do. You can get pregnant from rape, but I would rather not experience that.  

2 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I know that what I was pointing out is that it is an incorrect assumption that being unmarried or being a young adult or teen automatically means A. There is no privacy B. That it is not fun or sexy unless there is perfect privacy. C. That vulnerability is required in order to relax. 

Only in modern times has sex even had the aura of privacy, and by modern, I mean mid-20th century to now. Prior to that, unless wealthy, many families lived in tiny houses with no privacy of any kind, parents could be hears if not seen as well. It was "normal". One room log cabins, tents, sod houses, dormitory style housing with beds every few feet, etc. So in addition to privacy not having always been a thing, there are a lot of folks who don't give much worry to being " caught" because being caught implies they would feel guilty/embarassed about engaging in sex which isn't necessarily the case for a lot of people.

For you, you need it. Fine. But it isn't abnormal for others to not be quite so concerned. And a lot of teens and young adults do have privacy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I know that what I was pointing out is that it is an incorrect assumption that being unmarried or being a young adult or teen automatically means A. There is no privacy B. That it is not fun or sexy unless there is perfect privacy. C. That vulnerability is required in order to relax. 

Only in modern times has sex even had the aura of privacy, and by modern, I mean mid-20th century to now. Prior to that, unless wealthy, many families lived in tiny houses with no privacy of any kind, parents could be hears if not seen as well. It was "normal". One room log cabins, tents, sod houses, dormitory style housing with beds every few feet, etc. So in addition to privacy not having always been a thing, there are a lot of folks who don't give much worry to being " caught" because being caught implies they would feel guilty/embarassed about engaging in sex which isn't necessarily the case for a lot of people.

For you, you need it. Fine. But it isn't abnormal for others to not be quite so concerned. And a lot of teens and young adults do have privacy.

I guess. Just does not compute for me at all.

14 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I guess. Just does not compute for me at all.

That’s absolutely fine, though! We all have different comfort levels. And it sounds like you found the right guy for you, and he shares the same feelings about it, so who cares what anyone else does, right? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

That’s absolutely fine, though! We all have different comfort levels. And it sounds like you found the right guy for you, and he shares the same feelings about it, so who cares what anyone else does, right? 

Yeah, not everyone enjoys fooling around in their MIL’s sunroom while everyone else is having Thanksgiving pie. And that’s O. KAY.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

And we conceived our 3rd while faithfully using the pill for nearly 12 years at that point...

Which is why everyone choosing to have sex and not wanting parent a/another child should use 2 methods together every. single. time. whether they're married or not. Parents, schools that teach sex ed,  and medical staff prescribing contraception are failing at teaching the importance of 2 methods.  Sooooo many people get pregnant while carefully using 1 method.  Most people don't really understand how to personally apply the math behind failure rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In that case, I've had precious little real sex since I had a mobile child!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Really? Did you not know any teens when you were one? Teens are famous for their impulsive, risky behavior and magical thinking.  I mean, I understand that you weren't one of those kids, I knew quite a few of those, but I have a hard time believing you never witnessed such thinking and behavior around your peers during adolescence and/or that you failed to process it as such when you were around it. And I don't believe that even now it's not possible for you to grasp it. There's no statistical chance whatsoever you never encountered such thinking and behavior around teens at what I assume was a Jr. High/middle school, high school and college outside of your own house.

Do you literally mean you don't get it at all and are unable to intellectually process the fact that teens and young adults are prone to risk behavior, or are you doing that disingenuous Southern thing where you make a false statement like "I don't get it" as code to mean you aren't one of the people who did/does that sort of thing? You do know that admitting to getting it/it computing does not equate to condoning it or admitting to participating in it, right? Is that your concern? It's just not an idea that's challenging for a neurotypical person to process.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Really? Did you not know any teens when you were one? Teens are famous for their impulsive, risky behavior and magical thinking.  I mean, I understand that you weren't one of those kids, I knew quite a few of those, but I have a hard time believing you never witnessed such thinking and behavior around your peers during adolescence and/or that you failed to process it as such when you were around it. And I don't believe that even now it's not possible for you to grasp it. There's no statistical chance whatsoever you never encountered such thinking and behavior around teens at what I assume was a Jr. High/middle school, high school and college outside of your own house.

Do you literally mean you don't get it at all and are unable to intellectually process the fact that teens and young adults are prone to risk behavior, or are you doing that disingenuous Southern thing where you make a false statement like "I don't get it" as code to mean you aren't one of the people who did/does that sort of thing? You do know that admitting to getting it/it computing does not equate to condoning it or admitting to participating in it, right? Is that your concern? It's just not an idea that's challenging for a neurotypical person to process.

Sure I knew them and it made NO sense to me and I didn't hang out with them.  It didn't make logical sense to me.  Why endanger your health and your plans. But my dad said I was born old.  

1 hour ago, Homeschool Mom in AZ said:

Do you literally mean you don't get it at all and are unable to intellectually process the fact that teens and young adults are prone to risk behavior, or are you doing that disingenuous Southern thing where you make a false statement like "I don't get it" as code to mean you aren't one of the people who did/does that sort of thing?

I can process the fact that teens and young adults are prone to risky and impulsive behavior. I am not an old soul ever. I do know I wasn't the riskiest teen but I have a closet full of shoes and purses from my impulsive-ness. I understood as a teen that a baby would absolutely ruin my magical thinking of getting a first well paying job that I could travel lavishly around the world. That's why I've always had a hard time understanding why teens supposedly have a hard time with this.

The majority of people I know did hold off on sex until their twenties.  

• Like 1

So Tom Hanks is removed but Bill Murray and the guy who plays Ironman (what is his name? But what ever…he is Very Famous)…

those pictures get to stay?

Also, there is a picture of the (lean close, I’ll whisper) eff word…which I also got deleted, when I blocked out letters…just like the picture that has been on the board for days…

I don’t get it.

1 minute ago, pinball said:

So Tom Hanks is removed but Bill Murray and the guy who plays Ironman (what is his name? But what ever…he is Very Famous)…

Also, there is a picture of the (lean close, I’ll whisper) eff word…which I also got deleted, when I blocked out letters…just like the picture that has been on the board for days…

I don’t get it.

I think it's probably because one was a potentially copyrighted photo, and one was a link to youtube, which does not have the same copyright issue.

1 minute ago, BaseballandHockey said:

I think it's probably because one was a potentially copyrighted photo, and one was a link to youtube, which does not have the same copyright issue.

No…another thread has pictures of other actors and a picture of a swear word.

been there for days…still there…

5 minutes ago, pinball said:

I don’t get it.

What’s the point of the pictures/videos in this thread anyway? 

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

They are expounding on a subtopic of the thread. To wit, the colloquial use of the phrase: “I don’t get it.”

I still don’t see what they were adding to the thread or why it matters that they were removed. I only saw one because the other was already removed. But it seemed more like mocking another poster than adding to the conversation.

• Like 1