Katy

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Katy said:

IMG_3925.jpeg

if a Tesla and a Dumpster had a baby . . . .

14 hours ago, Katy said:

IMG_3971.jpeg

The nose is worse . . . 2dd was always confusingly wondering why we were screaming in pain . . . . . 
(I should add - it was never deliberate, she wasn't throwing a tantrum, she just moved really fast and was oblivious to the fact she was whacking us.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

if a Tesla and a Dumpster had a baby . . . .

The nose is worse . . . 2dd was always confusingly wondering why we were screaming in pain . . . . . 
(I should add - it was never deliberate, she wasn't throwing a tantrum, she just moved really fast and was oblivious to the fact she was whacking us.)

My nose is permanently broken from dd17 doing this so many times. There is a point where the cartilage just wont heal anymore 

• Sad 9

9 hours ago, Tap said:

My nose is permanently broken from dd17 doing this so many times. There is a point where the cartilage just wont heal anymore 

I’m sorry. You’ve had a lot over the years to deal with.

My son went for the windpipe, not that he necessarily knew what he was banging up against. We eventually perfected a hold that usually worked to keep our heads and necks off to the side.

37 minutes ago, Terabith said:

IMG_6226.jpeg

It kind of blows my mind I was alive when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank.
I don't know how many times I've listened to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot.   All of the money he made from it went to the families of those who died.  
I watched a documentary, and they think at one point the bow was on the bottom while the stern was straight up out of the water.  It went down fast.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Terabith said:

IMG_6226.jpeg

You just have to look out at Lake Superior and know that it's just waiting to sink more boats. It's a rather scary body of water. Beautiful, but scary. 😱

The other great lakes are gentle and welcoming in comparison. Just something a little sinister about Superior...

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

You just have to look out at Lake Superior and know that it's just waiting to sink more boats. It's a rather scary body of water. Beautiful, but scary. 😱

The other great lakes are gentle and welcoming in comparison. Just something a little sinister about Superior...

LOL, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan are NOT docile by any stretch. Both have major shipwrecks, underwater grave yards. About 20 miles from me there is a museum dedicated to the Life Saving Station which isn't saying much because the methods of trying to save crews from the swirling vortex out there at the turn of the 19th/20th made the word "crude" seem kind. 

About 600 major shipwrecks on Lake Michigan with 64 of them being really big boats of note. The Lady Elgin was the worst shipwreck ever on the Great Lakes.

More than 100 on Lake Huron - historically noted ones. Plenty more of smaller vessels.

Over 1400 on Lake Erie including the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which had a rather famous song in tribute to it.

Caroline Ingalls father died at sea on Lake Michigan. The shipwrecked at the Straits of Mackinac and the assumption is in Lake Michigan waters, but it could have been Lake Huron.

Also of note, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are hydrologically, the same lake. No one thinks of them as one unit, but they are, and this makes it the largest freshwater lake in the world.

Now you know that Faith, the Great Lakes Girl, will nerd out on anyone who is incorrect when they joke about my revered bodies of water! 😁😁😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

LOL, Lake Huron and Lake Michigan are NOT docile by any stretch. Both have major shipwrecks, underwater grave yards. About 20 miles from me there is a museum dedicated to the Life Saving Station which isn't saying much because the methods of trying to save crews from the swirling vortex out there at the turn of the 19th/20th made the word "crude" seem kind. 

About 600 major shipwrecks on Lake Michigan with 64 of them being really big boats of note. The Lady Elgin was the worst shipwreck ever on the Great Lakes.

More than 100 on Lake Huron - historically noted ones. Plenty more of smaller vessels.

Over 1400 on Lake Erie including the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which had a rather famous song in tribute to it.

Caroline Ingalls father died at sea on Lake Michigan. The shipwrecked at the Straits of Mackinac and the assumption is in Lake Michigan waters, but it could have been Lake Huron.

Also of note, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are hydrologically, the same lake. No one thinks of them as one unit, but they are, and this makes it the largest freshwater lake in the world.

Now you know that Faith, the Great Lakes Girl, will nerd out on anyone who is incorrect when they joke about my revered bodies of water! 😁😁😁

That's a really good point about Lake Michigan and Huron. You could likely argue that Georgian Bay could be a great lake. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior, not Lake Erie. 

Other than that nit-picky point, I agree with your whole post!

And the Niagara River, connecting Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, has also claimed an awful lot of lives.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wathe said:

Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior, not Lake Erie. 

Other than that nit-picky point, I agree with your whole post!

And the Niagara River, connecting Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, has also claimed an awful lot of lives.

Ya, this is what I get for typing before drinking another cup of coffee! 😂

That river is a real killer.

If you ever get to Michigan and can make it to Sault She Marie, take the boat lock tour. It is absolutely fascinating, and I love to be aboard ship going through that process.

I think people would be incredibly shocked at the number of deaths on the lakes here. Shipwreck counts do not include small vessel losses. Those are rather staggering though. We keep getting tourists who rent kayaks and then ignore the huge warnings and multiple warning signs and buoys at shipwreck point here, try to kayak the point, and drown. Fishing boats crashed at the point. Sailboats crashed at the point. Sigh. I wish people would stop being stupid there. And of course we have a ton of shipwreck points. Tawas has a really bad one AND rip currents so double whammy.

18 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

If you ever get to Michigan and can make it to Sault She Marie, take the boat lock tour. It is absolutely fascinating, and I love to be aboard ship going through that process.

Seattle also has a locks tour.  The best time to watch them is a nice weekend summer day.
Commercial traffic always has the right of way - pleasure boats come second.

at low tide, you can frequently see sealions swimming in the lock itself

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 11:17 PM, gardenmom5 said:

It kind of blows my mind I was alive when the Edmund Fitzgerald sank.
I don't know how many times I've listened to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot.   All of the money he made from it went to the families of those who died.  
I watched a documentary, and they think at one point the bow was on the bottom while the stern was straight up out of the water.  It went down fast.

He died in May of last year at the age of 84. Even after hearing this song you cannot imagine the magnitude of the great lakes without seeing them.

• Like 1