Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

22 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Idk why but I started crying during this video. Like, not tears of laughter (even though it was funny). Ugh. 

I feel like we’re all traumatized. I know I feel that way. I would have felt a lot better if the whole summer was a reprieve and then things went back up, but the way things are now, I feel like I’m falling apart a bit. Like, I’ve been fighting with DH and the kids more than is necessary, just because I feel so stressed.

On the bright side, DD9’s biggest memories of last year are of spending time with her grandparents and aunt and little cousins. The pandemic year was a good one for her. And our hybrid outdoor/online co-op is going nicely — the kids are bonding well. So we’ve done well. We have. But I’m still falling apart.

• Like 4
  • Sad 10

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I feel like we’re all traumatized. I know I feel that way. I would have felt a lot better if the whole summer was a reprieve and then things went back up, but the way things are now, I feel like I’m falling apart a bit. Like, I’ve been fighting with DH and the kids more than is necessary, just because I feel so stressed.

On the bright side, DD9’s biggest memories of last year are of spending time with her grandparents and aunt and little cousins. The pandemic year was a good one for her. And our hybrid outdoor/online co-op is going nicely — the kids are bonding well. So we’ve done well. We have. But I’m still falling apart.

Collective trauma.

This year is harder than last year here, too. I think it’s the dashed hopes and disappointments, and somehow it just feels like it will be never-ending. It won’t, but it feels that way sometimes.

It feels like recovering from a long, long illness. Like you’ve finally had a few good days, and overdid it, so boom - a backslide or relapse takes you down. The despair, and frustration of “will this never end?!” can be worse than the initial illness.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Collective trauma.

This year is harder than last year here, too. I think it’s the dashed hopes and disappointments, and somehow it just feels like it will be never-ending. It won’t, but it feels that way sometimes.

It feels like recovering from a long, long illness. Like you’ve finally had a few good days, and overdid it, so boom - a backslide or relapse takes you down. The despair, and frustration of “will this never end?!” can be worse than the initial illness.

Yes. Dashed hopes is just right. And my own hopes were SO small, too… just an easy summer like last year in NY. I expected a hard fall. But even the summer got snatched.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yes. Dashed hopes is just right. And my own hopes were SO small, too… just an easy summer like last year in NY. I expected a hard fall. But even the summer got snatched.

Yes. My hopes were very modest as well. And even those were too high. It makes it hard to know what to hope for next.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Me too.  

I think it’s the not knowing. Our current wave looks like it might be peaking.  But schools don’t even start for another ten days.  I don’t know if we should be relaxing or hunkering down.  

I could do another year like last year, if I knew that’s what was going to be needed. But I don’t know!  

• Like 5

Just now, Danae said:

Me too.  

I think it’s the not knowing. Our current wave looks like it might be peaking.  But schools don’t even start for another ten days.  I don’t know if we should be relaxing or hunkering down.  

I could do another year like last year, if I knew that’s what was going to be needed. But I don’t know!  

I could do it, yes. If I had to. But I’d like to know if I have to, as you say.

The school year starting fills me with serious foreboding. I feel like people are walking into a trap with eyes open.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

Trauma is a good way to think of it. We have been traumatized. Are the people who ignored it the entire time also traumatized and their head in the sand attitudes caused by trauma? IDK. 

I think people who took it seriously a year ago who are back to "normal" life are reacting to their trauma. 

As I watch the news from New Orleans after sending my kid off to school this morning I have a feeling that this is just our lives for the future. Climate change is here. There is no safe place to escape it. Every crisis is new and we must react but not lose our minds. 

Eh, I expect climate change to require adjustment but less rapid adjustment. You're right that it'll change our lives, but things do. Society changes all the time. 

The pandemic is much more like a war, though. It involves RAPID change and serious disruption. I think human beings are less well-suited for dealing with that. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Idk why but I started crying during this video. Like, not tears of laughter (even though it was funny). Ugh. 

I had the same response at some point during it. I think it was when they showed pictures from the Before Times. 

My little one (4) breaks my heart. He talks about “when the sickness is over” and has such modest wishes about the normal things he wants to do when the time comes. This has been the way of things for most of his memory.  I think I’m taking him to Disneyland. I just hope he’s still little 😥

• Sad 6

Just now, KSera said:

I had the same response at some point during it. I think it was when they showed pictures from the Before Times. 

My little one (4) breaks my heart. He talks about “when the sickness is over” and has such modest wishes about the normal things he wants to do when the time comes. This has been the way of things for most of his memory.  I think I’m taking him to Disneyland. I just hope he’s still little 😥

Honestly, I think it's easier for the littles. 

Kids have had to live through wars and disruption since time immemorial. He'll be OK 🙂 . 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Honestly, I think it's easier for the littles. 

Kids have had to live through wars and disruption since time immemorial. He'll be OK 🙂 . 

Oh, I totally think it's the easiest on him than any of my older kids and he'll totally be okay. Doesn't mean it's not heartbreaking to hear him ask if "when the sickness is over" he can go to the grocery store and push one of the little carts. He'll be fine, but man, my heart.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

Oh, I totally think it's the easiest on him than any of my older kids and he'll totally be okay. Doesn't mean it's not heartbreaking to hear him ask if "when the sickness is over" he can go to the grocery store and push one of the little carts. He'll be fine, but man, my heart.

Same. I also have a 4 yr old, who talks about "when the germies are gone". Things like playing with other kids, going to Trader Joes to get the little shopping cart, eating in a restaurant, etc.

The other day she sighed and said, "I don't think the germies are ever going away...." and I nearly sobbed. 

• Sad 11

Just now, ktgrok said:

The other day she sighed and said, "I don't think the germies are ever going away...." and I nearly sobbed. 

Mine has expressed exactly the same recently, and same reaction for me. So sad. Things were looking up and it felt like we were going to be able to have a more normal Fall, but now it's just the same as it was last year with no end in sight.

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

It's true that DD5 also barely remembers her pre-pandemic life 😞 . 

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Same. I also have a 4 yr old, who talks about "when the germies are gone". Things like playing with other kids, going to Trader Joes to get the little shopping cart, eating in a restaurant, etc.

Yeah, in a lot of ways, the sadness and desire for such small things always breaks my heart more than the big things in a lot of ways.  Like, I am sorry that my teens have not been able to socialize and haven't felt comfortable going out and getting jobs, but also, in a way, the pandemic was good for my oldest.  They had a nervous breakdown in October of 2019, and while the pandemic lock down hurt their recovery, in a lot of ways, it normalized their experience because a whole lot of kids were at home and constrained in ways that my oldest would have felt more alone in if everyone else was doing life as normal.  

It's like when they were little, I never felt great sadness telling them I could not get them a game system or something big.  But my heart broke when my kid who had never asked for anything in her life wistfully said, "I know it can never happen, but I wish Santa could bring me a real, live dragon."  Or when they wanted a stapler for Christmas, and we were in a place where there was no way to get them one for Christmas morning.  Or when last year, my oldest said, "I just wish so much that I could go to a restaurant and drink iced tea out of a real glass."  Those tiny wishes just break me.  

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Those tiny wishes just break me.  

It's interesting, because I really don't feel that way. I'm basically glad DD5 doesn't remember pre-pandemic life much, because this makes the experience easier for her. I've tried to prioritize both the kids' physical AND mental health this year, so anything that makes it easier to do that feels like a blessing. 

That church I found taking Covid seriously is now going to have two vaccine clinics hosted on its campus!

And for their "kick off sunday" in September, when they have tables set up to check out the ministries available, they are not only doing it outdoors, but said that if you are not comfortable doing that you can "drive thru" and they will hand you information and a cup of coffee and a donut through the window of your car. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

That church I found taking Covid seriously is now going to have two vaccine clinics hosted on its campus!

And for their "kick off sunday" in September, when they have tables set up to check out the ministries available, they are not only doing it outdoors, but said that if you are not comfortable doing that you can "drive thru" and they will hand you information and a cup of coffee and a donut through the window of your car. 

Man. That's so awesome and heartening. 

• Like 5

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

It's interesting, because I really don't feel that way. I'm basically glad DD5 doesn't remember pre-pandemic life much, because this makes the experience easier for her. I've tried to prioritize both the kids' physical AND mental health this year, so anything that makes it easier to do that feels like a blessing. 

I think maybe you guys have had more playground time and freedom than some of us, due to how bad things have been here for a longer time. You were hit hard, then it eased off a lot, versus here. So my poor kid has no playground time, no cousins to visit because they are in public school and high exposure, nothing. 

And she is way more likely to act sad about it than the olders. They are annoyed and angry, but the little one is just...pathetic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Man. That's so awesome and heartening. 

Right!

Also, not Covid related, but I found out that youth that have been through confirmation are eligible to sit on the church council, which I think is very cool as well. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I think maybe you guys have had more playground time and freedom than some of us, due to how bad things have been here for a longer time. You were hit hard, then it eased off a lot, versus here. So my poor kid has no playground time, no cousins to visit because they are in public school and high exposure, nothing. 

And she is way more likely to act sad about it than the olders. They are annoyed and angry, but the little one is just...pathetic. 

I think I basically decided outdoor time is fine very early on. When we were in Boston, we'd go to the nearby park, although we didn't actually go to playgrounds -- we'd keep our distance. But we did fun stuff like go sledding and build snowmen and fly kites, so it wasn't bad.  

We've been entirely restricted the whole time except for June and a bit of July, but we did form a pod with the in-laws last year, so that worked well for us. We did think about making a pod with friends, but no one was willing to have a closed enough pod so we didn't do that. We did start doing online classes so that the kids could socialize and that helped a lot for DD9... DD5, though, mostly enjoyed playing with us and her grandparents and her sister. 

I guess what I had figured is that our life was going to be DIFFERENT but not necessarily WORSE, as far as I could manage. And I think I've generally managed for everyone but me, lol. I've done the thing I often do, which is prioritizing everyone else's needs over my own. So DH is doing well and the kids are doing well and I'm finding myself totally at the end of my rope, because I didn't make allowances for myself and DH is notoriously bad at taking care of me in this way. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Sad 5

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/30/1011785899/when-covid-deaths-are-dismissed-or-stigmatized-grief-is-mixed-with-shame-and-ang?fbclid=IwAR3W2H9DMjnPZ32ZXnrWS7sRcpGjlyyCBjObxcZ2bHmQUhwjmx9YX4hAMfg

Refusing to face the truth about what killed a family or community member can make the grieving process much harder, according to Ken Doka, who works for the Hospice Foundation of America and has written books about aging, dying, grief and end-of-life care.

When a person dies from something controversial, Doka says, that's called a "disenfranchising death." The term refers to a death that people don't feel comfortable talking openly about due to social norms.

Doka pioneered the concept in the 1980s, along with a related concept: "disenfranchised grief." This occurs when mourners feel they don't have the right to express their loss openly or fully because of the cultural stigma about how the person died. 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

B bWe have officially reached a case count of 1000/100k.   School starts either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on which school district.  Their is a mask mandate at least.  The teachers are mandated to but they still have awhile to get it done.   We are already at hospital overwhelm so this should be interesting.

• Sad 4

44 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

B bWe have officially reached a case count of 1000/100k.   School starts either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on which school district.  Their is a mask mandate at least.  The teachers are mandated to but they still have awhile to get it done.   We are already at hospital overwhelm so this should be interesting.

Yikes. I didn’t actually know there was anywhere in the US with a rate that high.

We’re at 4% positivity rate in the county we are moving to next week. New York is heavily discouraging any virtual schooling, though, so kids are either homeschooled or face to face 5 days a week.  It worked okay in the spring when pretty much everyone went back 5 days a week but our positivity rate then was like 1.5%.

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yikes, that’s inappropriate to me, unless that’s not really the full story or there are extenuating circumstances. Like, if the child has compromised health and is at high risk. Seems like there would have to be more to the story. Otherwise, I think that was wrong and the judge way overstepped.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Yikes, that’s inappropriate to me, unless that’s not really the full story or there are extenuating circumstances. Like, if the child has compromised health and is at high risk. Seems like there would have to be more to the story. Otherwise, I think that was wrong and the judge way overstepped.

It was absolutely inappropriate and the judge reversed it (although the father is fighting the reversal). The hearing was about child support, it wasn't even about custody, let alone vaccines. He just asked the mom out of the blue if she was vaccinated and then revoked her partial custody. I'm as pro-vax as you can get, but that was a ridiculous abuse of power and I'm glad it was quickly reversed.

• Like 19

3 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

And at the other end of the spectrum... a judge in Ohio has ordered doctors to treat an ICU patient with ivermectin against their best judgment and CDC/FDA recommendations. 

I was just reading this one, absolutely a horrible precedent.  

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2021/08/30/judge-orders-cinci-hospital-to-treat-covid-19-patient-with-ivermectin-despite-cdc-warnings/?fbclid=IwAR1oeMBz15rUsE32y0XGDzzen518iew2EIKD9C9enoBBw5N9h8hkZkGmLdo

30 year old dies of covid after dosing himself with vitamin C, ivermectin, etc at home.  

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/30-year-old-texas-man-who-organized-anti-mask-protest-dies-of-covid-19/

• Sad 4

8 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

SW Ohio is full of conspiracy theorists. Sigh. This is nuts. 

@Not_a_Number I know you are interested in / concerned about pediatric cases. This is a summary of replies to a thread on another site regarding children who tested positive & their symptoms. 

Age 17 - Mild 

Age 16 - MISC-C: inflammation, low b/p, rapid heart rate, fever, diarrhea, fatigue, loss of taste/smell, sore throat, cough, congestion, labored breathing, dizziness, dehydration

Age 16 - Vomiting

Age 16 - Cough, labored breathing, COVID toes

Age 15 - Asymptomatic 

Age 15 - Fatigue, headache

Age 15 - Low fever, headache, sore throat, cough, fatigue, congestion

Age 15 - Low fever, cough, headache

Age 14 - High fever, bad cough, aches, chills, fainting spells

Age 14 - Myocarditis 

Age 14 - Fever, cough, fatigue, lingering symptoms

Age 13 - Runny nose 

Age 13 - Fatigue, headache

Age 12 - Cold symptoms, bad cough, loss of taste/smell, fatigue, aches, no fever

Age 12 - High fever, trouble breathing (treated in ER)

Age 12 - Sore throat, delayed Type 1 Diabetes 

Age 11 - Headache, bad cough, aches, loss of taste / smell

Age 11 - Mild, delayed alopecia

Age 11 - Cold symptoms 

Age 11 - Headache, fever, fatigue, nausea, diarrhea 

Age 11 - Fever, cough, fatigue

Age 10 - High fever

Age 10 - High fever, head cold symptoms, loss of taste/smell, fatigue

Age 10 - Asymptomatic 

Age 10 - High fever, bad cough, aches, chills

Age 10 - Sore throat, headache, fatigue, vomiting

Age 10 - Asymptomatic 

Age 10 - Asymptomatic 

Age 10 - Headache

Age 9 - Asymptomatic, MISC-C 6wks later: heart failure, blood clots, low b/p

Age 9 - Runny nose, COVID rash

Age 9 - Headache, fatigue, aches

Age 9 - Low fever

Age 8 - Cold symptoms 

Age 8 - Mild

Age 8 - Asymptomatic

Age 8 - Low fever, headache, congestion, runny nose

Age 8 - Loss of taste/smell

Age 8 - Cough, fatigue

Age 7 - Headache, sore throat

Age 7 - High fever, chills, trouble breathing (hospitalized for COVID Pneumonia)

Age 7 - Vomiting

Age 7 - High fever, headache, fatigue

Age 7 - Low fever

Age 6 - High fever, vomiting, loss of taste/smell, fatigue

Age 6 - Asymptomatic 

Age 6 - Fatigue, vomiting, MISC-C 3wks later: hospitalized 

Age 6 - Asymptomatic 

Age 6 - High fever, fatigue, congestion 

Age 5 - Fatigue, aches

Age 5 - Loss of taste/smell

Age 5 - Cold symptoms  

Age 4 - High fever, headache, fatigue

Age 4 - Low fever

Age 4 - Asymptomatic

Age 3 - Cold symptoms 

Age 3 - Asymptomatic 

Age 3 - Asymptomatic 

Age 3 - Asymptomatic 

Age 3 - Asymptomatic 

Age 2 - Fatigue, aches

Age 2 - High fever, vomiting 

Age 2 - Low fever

Age 2 - Fever, cough, vomiting

Age 2 - Fatigue, aches

Age 2 - Fatigue

Age 1 - Asymptomatic 

Age 1 - Asymptomatic 

Infant - Asymptomatic 

Infant - High fever, labored breathing, congestion 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

I've been researching the Ohio case but can't find many details. What's been reported is weird. So the wife found this doctor who wrote the script for Ivermectin. But you can't just find a doctor to write a script. The patient is in the ICU. The doctor needs privileges at the hospital and has to be assigned to the patient. I can't find anything online that discusses whether the doctor has privileges at this hospital. 

Did the hospital object because the doctor didn't have privileges? Or was it an issue with Ivermectin? 

I'm sure the hospital attorney freaked out about this. Would they be potentially liable? Would this endanger their accreditation? 

Reading the court documents submitted by the wife, it doesn't appear that the doctor who wrote the prescription ever examined or even met the patient (who was unconscious and intubated before the wife ever contacted the ivermectin doctor), but rather prescribed it based on information from the wife. He is a member of the "Frontline Covid Critical Care Alliance" group that heavily pushes ivermectin. Apparently there have been other cases where judges have ordered hospitals to treat patients with ivermectin over doctors' objections, and those are cited in the Ohio petition. 

This patient has been unconscious on a ventilator for 30 days, and was previously treated with Remdesivir, steroids, and convalescent plasma. I understand that the wife is desperate and willing to try anything, but allowing a judge, who does not have the background or expertise to evaluate the claims in the petition, to overrule the actual ICU medical team seems nuts.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

10 hours ago, KSera said:

10 hours ago, ktgrok said:

This just shattered me.  I really hope they get to push the little shopping cart soon. 💔

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, rebcoola said:

14 days is what they report here.  So it will likely be worse soon.  Fair was last weekend.

Most places report the daily number, which was what was confusing me. 

14 hours ago, KSera said:

Yikes. I didn’t actually know there was anywhere in the US with a rate that high.

She's reporting the number for 2 weeks, not daily. 

For instance, Florida is at 99/100,000 daily, which would be 1386 per 14 days. So higher than what she's reporting. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

For instance, Florida is at 99/100,000 daily, which would be 1386 per 14 days. So higher than what she's reporting. 

That’s a relief! I mean, not good, but 1,000/100,000 sounded horrifying. 

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Most places report the daily number, which was what was confusing me. 

Can you divide  it by 14 to get the daily number?  Or is it not even enough for that (as in the daily rate goes up and down too much?). 

• Thanks 1

Totally non scientific data point.  My kids and husband are taking private sailing lessons.   The instructor who is the director of the whole sailing center told them that they did kid sailing camps the entire summer with safety precautions and didn't have one outbreak of covid.  Obviously this is outside.  They had a Regatta a week ago and half the people came down with Covid.  I believe it was no real rules for that.  He called it the wild west.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Totally non scientific data point.  My kids and husband are taking private sailing lessons.   The instructor who is the director of the whole sailing center told them that they did kid sailing camps the entire summer with safety precautions and didn't have one outbreak of covid.  Obviously this is outside.  They had a Regatta a week ago and half the people came down with Covid.  I believe it was no real rules for that.  He called it the wild west.  

What does a regatta look like?

• Like 1