Menu

So, what's safe here? Covid symptoms

Drama Llama

Which of these precautions would you take?   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these precautions would you take? (Choose all of them)

• Me (sick person) wear a mask when I'm in the room with other people.
    • Have DH sleep somewhere else.
    • Stay out of room with 90 year old.
    • Send 90 year old to stay with other, vaccinated, relatives
    • Cancel outdoor playdate tomorrow with unvaccinated cousins who have a vaccinated pregnant mom.
    • Don't send kid to masked outdoor soccer practices
    • Don't send kid to outdoor swim practice (obviously the mask comes off in the water)
    • Don't let kids go for dinner/spend the night with their aunt and uncle
    • Something else that I will tell you.
    • None. I wouldn't take any precautions.
    • None of these, but some other precaution I will tell you.

I think I have a sinus infection.  I've got reflux which can lead to congestion and infection, it's not an unknown thing for me. But I'm sneezing, one side of my head is all stuffy.  Hurts to bend down.  Tiny constant drizzle of liquid.  Fun times.

I called the school nurse at my  kids' school, who is a friend, and she told me that if I was teaching there and fully vaccinated, the health department would consider me safe to come in.  Some symptoms, like fever and cough I'd need to stay home, and if I had these symptoms without the vax, I'd need to stay home.  

I am trying to figure out what precautions I need to take.  

We live with a bunch of people, including an unvaccinated healthy 10 year old, a partially vaccinated asthmatic 13 year old, and a fully vaccinated 90 year old who probably should get a cold if that's what I have.  No one has any symptoms, except 13 year old has some sniffles which is expected for him in spring.  

Tomorrow we are supposed to have a housekeeper come work in the house.  I'm assuming we should pay her to stay home?  We aren't in desperate need of her.

My kids are supposed to go play outside with the cousins, who are 3 unvaccinated kids and a vaccinated pregnant mom.

One kid has 2 masked soccer practices tomorrow.

One kid has outdoor swim practice tomorrow, with masks off in the water.

The kids were supposed to go for dinner and then spend the night at their fully vaccinated aunt and uncle. 

What precautions would you take?  I'm worried about protecting people from covid.  I'm also worried about protecting my elderly relative from something else.  And I'm worried about causing symptoms in their uncle who would then be banned from work, as I understand it.  

I can't choose more than one option.  I'd sleep elsewhere from husband, if there's another easy comfy bed option, just because I always sleep better alone when I don't feel awesome and also just in case.  I'd either stay out of the room with the 90 year old or send him to relatives' house, but that depends on how happy he'd be going to relative's house.  

I would send my kids to soccer and swim practice.  I would offer to cancel outdoor play date, but honestly, I think that's super safe.  

I'd be inclined to not send my kids to stay with aunt and uncle, but I don't think sending them would be a problem either.  I'd probably ask aunt and uncle what their comfort level is, but my assumption would be that this is not covid and is probably not contagious at all but MIGHT be something like a cold, which ideally I wouldn't want to spread either.  

• Like 2

Just now, mommyoffive said:

How long have you been feeling like this?  I would probably be careful until you can get a test. 

At noon, sent my kids to the pool with their cousins (outdoor pool we rented from the neighbors, so they are the only people there, besides one uncle).  (Yes, one cousin is 21 and a lifeguard so it was quite safe).  At that point, I was fine.

At 1:00 or so bam it hit me.  

I can't figure out how to make it so you can vote for more than one thing.  Anyone know?

12 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For me if my usual 24 hr Claritin tablet followed by a short nap doesn’t work, I’ll assume it is the flu and take flu precautions. 

It's definitely not allergies.  I don't have allergies.  It's a sinus infection which presumably means that something else made me congested first -- either a cold or reflux or covid.

Edited by BaseballandHockey

If I thought it could be Covid I would isolate until I was able to be tested.  Covid CAN mimic a sinus infection.  I had two good friends who swore they just had sinus infections but they were tested and it was Covid.  I would also isolate my kids until I could make sure it was not Covid.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

At noon, sent my kids to the pool with their cousins (outdoor pool we rented from the neighbors, so they are the only people there, besides one uncle).  (Yes, one cousin is 21 and a lifeguard so it was quite safe).  At that point, I was fine.

At 1:00 or so bam it hit me.  

Hearing it hit so fast would make me a little more concerned. Colds tend to be slower to come on, and I don’t think sinus infections typically start without first having congestion. Given your vaccination status,  still seems unlikely to be Covid.

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

I think the odds of it being covid, given your level of exposure, is microscopic.  

I think their exposure has increased since getting vaccinated. I don’t know in what ways, but it sounds like at least one kid is at school, and that kid has some mild symptoms as well.

I’m thinking even if it’s a cold, you don’t want to put other people in the same exercise by passing it onto them. Hearing that colds are running rampant right now makes me nervous, as we are supposed to finally have a get together with family members we haven’t seen in a year, and if any of us gets a cold before then, that will be canceled, and everyone will be devastated. Some are elderly, and we can’t take any risk of it being Covid. 

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Hearing it hit so fast would make me a little more concerned. Colds tend to be slower to come on, and I don’t think sinus infections typically start without first having congestion. Given your vaccination status,  still seems unlikely to be Covid.

I think their exposure has increased since getting vaccinated. I don’t know in what ways, but it sounds like at least one kid is at school, and that kid has some mild symptoms as well.

I’m thinking even if it’s a cold, you don’t want to put other people in the same exercise by passing it onto them. Hearing that colds are running rampant right now makes me nervous, as we are supposed to finally have a get together with family members we haven’t seen in a year, and if any of us gets a cold before then, that will be canceled, and everyone will be devastated. Some are elderly, and we can’t take any risk of it being Covid. 

Nope my kids haven’t been in school.  They do play outdoor sorts, and see friends masked outdoors and we went to church last week (with masks and distancing) for one kid’s confirmation.

But my kids haven’t been in a store or classroom since 2019.  We are definitely on the cautious side.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BaseballandHockey said:

Nope my kids haven’t been in school.  They do play outdoor sorts, and see friends masked outdoors and we went to church last week (with masks and distancing) for one kid’s confirmation.

But my kids haven’t been in a store or classroom since 2019.  We are definitely on the cautious side.

Oh, sorry. I think I interpreted the “called the school nurse” as meaning he was in school. At least it does sound really unlikely to be Covid. 

• Like 1

The protocol here would be to lock-down the whole household until the symptomatic person had a negative covid test.

Given that you're fully vaxed, covid seems unlikely.  BUT covid is a sneaky jerk of a virus, so I would lock-down and keep the kids home until you have a negative test. 

I guess you have to decide which is worse: the high probability outcome of disruption of locking down the family for a day or two until you have a negative test, or the low probability outcome of not locking-down and exposing others to covid in the unlikely event that that's what you've got.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BaseballandHockey said:

It's definitely not allergies.  I don't have allergies.  It's a sinus infection which presumably means that something else made me congested first -- either a cold or reflux or covid.

There are infectious variants spreading right now and the vaccine is not effective for 100% of the people. So, it would be a good idea to take a test just to ensure that it is negative, which is most probably the case. Most testing places near me have a turnaround time of 1 day.

I think it’s highly unlikely. Could you buy a rapid test from the drug store for your peace of mind?

We are in the middle of cautious—less than you. Various of us have seasonal allergies and I have sinus pain and congestion often. I definitely haven’t locked down in the absence of other symptoms or known contact—particularly now that I’m vaccinated. My non-symptomatic family who wears masks and is rarely indoors anywhere but home kept their regular routines. If dd was playing ( masked and outside) with a friend, I would tell the mother do she could decide her comfort level.  My friend did the same for me yesterday in the same situation.

I probably would send Grandpa away, though.

I’m very cautious about illness- I would take all the precautions you mentioned and skip activities. It sounds like you’ve been very careful, so the chances of it being covid are super low, but spreading a cold wouldn’t be good either. A cold that spreads would cause the next person who gets it to go through the same questioning of “what if it’s covid...”

Hope you feel much better soon! Will pray that you do. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry. This stinks! There is a cold virus going around. That is probably what spurred your sinus infection. However, without testing, there is no way to know. My awful, horrible, this sucks suggestion is that so you don't force other folks to get the cold or think they have been exposed and then have to make all of these same kinds of " what do I do" decisions and hunker down at home, get a test and hope the turn around time is not long, and then when it in all likelihood comes.back.negative, resume life again. We just aren't to the place yet as a nation where we have case loads down and vaccinations up enough to not worry about it. It is so frustrating!

I would get tested and let the kids do their activities if your test is negative (which it probably is) and if the kids have no symptoms.  I would avoid anyone who doesn't want to get a cold.  Maybe give the 90yo the option to stay with other relatives.  As for the housekeeper, I would let her know and let her decide or reschedule. 

9 hours ago, KSera said:

Oh, sorry. I think I interpreted the “called the school nurse” as meaning he was in school. At least it does sound really unlikely to be Covid. 

Yeah I didn’t do a good job there.  The nurse at the school they used to go to is the mother of one my kids’ best friends, so I called her.  She said if I was a teacher there she’d tell me to come in based on health department guidelines.  I am a teacher but my school is still almost all virtual so I teach from home. 

I'd definitely do a test for peace of mind and get antibiotics.  I'd assume it's a cold and do whatever makes sense to try to prevent transmission to Great Grandpa.  

I'm not sure I'd keep kid home from outdoor, masked soccer practice just because it seems so vital to his mental health right now.  But I'd at least get a rapid test before I sent him.  I don't think it would be bad to keep him home, to be clear; just that I'd weigh need for normalcy with risk of contagion.  I would try to isolate from folks in the house as much as possible until I got a test.  

But I really, really don't think it's covid......even with going to church.  You're vaccinated.  Your exposure is still really low.  Odds are in your favor.

• Like 2

I'd wear a mask and separate from the rest of the household as much as possible.  I would still send the kids to their outdoor stuff, wearing masks except in water.  I think I would assume it's a cold and skip a test, but also take care not to spread a cold.

51 minutes ago, Katy said:

Go to a walk in clinic, get tested, and get antibiotics for your sinus infection.

You can absolutely have allergies & have negative skin tests according to my doctor.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. You can rule out covid AND get yourself meds in one helpful appointment. Hope you feel better soon!

I would try to keep all germs (direct and indirect) from the 90yo and the person who needs to stay symptom-free to work.

I'd stay away from everyone while you have symptoms, and up the caution if you ever get a fever.

I'd probably let the kids play their sports etc. as long as they don't get symptoms.  But I'd keep them away from the 90yo and the person who needs to stay symptom-free to work.

go get a rapid test. Google your county testing info - I found it better/easier to test with my county than to do the pharmacy. County was drive up, no appt needed, and would do both rapid and PCR - I did both just to be sure. Then see a doctor for sinus infection. But fyi - allergies can change. I was not allergic to oaks before I moved to Orlando. I promise you I am now. 

A rapid test is not a bad idea.  It's quick and free.  But I would still follow the same precautions with the 90yo and the guy who can't get symptoms and work.

The thing about symptoms is unique to Covid times.  Even if you are sure it's just a cold or whatever, some places won't let you in just in case.  My kid was prevented from entering school over a headache.  So even though it may seem silly, let's help keep those in-person workers healthy, regardless of Covid, for now.

• Like 1