Menu

(I bought one!) Do I need an air fryer? And which one???

Catwoman

I keep seeing recipes that use an air fryer so I’m wondering if I should get one.

My regular ovens are convection ovens, and I also have a big Oster convection toaster oven (fits a 16” pizza, so not small, if size matters here!)

Will one of those ovens do the same basic thing as an air fryer, or is a stand-alone air fryer be better? 

If you think I should buy one, can you recommend any brands or specific models? Also, they come in several sizes and I’m not sure what to choose. My favorite recipe is for air fryer bagels, and I would hope to be able to make at least 4 bagels at a time — but it’s more important that they come out well than it is that I can make a bunch of them at once. They turn out fine in my regular oven, but I have heard that air fryers work better.

Thanks!!!

Edited by Catwoman

Well, FWIW -- The Wirecutter says the best air fryer is this Cuisinart convection toaster oven.

My regular oven is convection, so I go back and forth about whether I want to get an actual air fryer. It would be nice to not have to heat up the whole big oven, but then I'd have to store and deal with another small appliance, which isn't something my minimalist self really wants.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Well, FWIW -- The Wirecutter says the best air fryer is this Cuisinart convection toaster oven.

My regular oven is convection, so I go back and forth about whether I want to get an actual air fryer. It would be nice to not have to heat up the whole big oven, but then I'd have to store and deal with another small appliance, which isn't something my minimalist self really wants.

If it helps my microwave is a convection oven / microwave, and isn't much bigger than a toaster oven.  Putting a pizza in it will quickly raise the temperature of the entire main floor from 68 degrees to 80.  Convection heats things up.  Using the convection on my regular oven doesn't seem to raise things quite as much.  I don't know why.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

If it helps my microwave is a convection oven / microwave, and isn't much bigger than a toaster oven.  Putting a pizza in it will quickly raise the temperature of the entire main floor from 68 degrees to 80.  Convection heats things up.  Using the convection on my regular oven doesn't seem to raise things quite as much.  I don't know why.

Wow! I had no idea that could happen — I haven’t noticed any difference in the room temperature when I use my regular convection ovens vs. the convection toaster oven. Maybe it’s an insulation issue? Maybe there isn’t enough insulation in your microwave/toaster oven, or the door seal isn’t as good?  Does your toaster oven get really hot on the outside when it’s running?

21 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I’m more of a maximalist than a minimalist ;), but I don’t really want another appliance on my counter unless I’m going to get quite a bit of use out of it, either. 

On the other hand, I like new toys and air fryers sound kind of fun...

Edited by Catwoman
Typo!
  • Like 3

Just now, Catwoman said:

I’m more of a maximalist than a minimalist ;), but I don’t really want another appliance on my counter unless I’m going to get quite a bit of use out of it, either. 

I got a big box store $60 Air Fryer. It is bare bones. It is the tray style, not the basket style. 

So given that, I do use it enough to keep it out. But it is for things like...reheating and “cooking” frozen stuff and not much else.

However:

it is a game changer for reheating takeout French fries and onion rings. My crew finds cold fries and onion rings practically inedible. But in less than 3 minutes in the AF, they are quite similar to fresh from the fryer.

Lots of people say they use it for reheating pizza. I wouldn’t know bc I am a cold pizza girl, forever and ever, Amen and Awomen.

Ok - I have a convection oven.  And I have a cheap air fryer we got to see what we thought.  I'd actually love to upgrade to one of the counter top oven models.

BUT doing things like homemade oven fries or sweet potato fries is SO much faster in the air fryer.  Like I can get them done in like 15 minutes instead of 50-60.  It doesn't even bother me that I can't make as big of a batch because it is so fast to whip them up in the air fryer.  We get CSA veggie boxes in the summer and I am anxious to just throw everything in there with a little olive oil and see what comes out!  ❤️  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, pinball said:

I got a big box store $60 Air Fryer. It is bare bones. It is the tray style, not the basket style. 

So given that, I do use it enough to keep it out. But it is for things like...reheating and “cooking” frozen stuff and not much else.

However:

it is a game changer for reheating takeout French fries and onion rings. My crew finds cold fries and onion rings practically inedible. But in less than 3 minutes in the AF, they are quite similar to fresh from the fryer.

Lots of people say they use it for reheating pizza. I wouldn’t know bc I am a cold pizza girl, forever and ever, Amen and Awomen.

Thanks!

Which one do you have?

1 minute ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Ok - I have a convection oven.  And I have a cheap air fryer we got to see what we thought.  I'd actually love to upgrade to one of the counter top oven models.

BUT doing things like homemade oven fries or sweet potato fries is SO much faster in the air fryer.  Like I can get them done in like 15 minutes instead of 50-60.  It doesn't even bother me that I can't make as big of a batch because it is so fast to whip them up in the air fryer.  We get CSA veggie boxes in the summer and I am anxious to just throw everything in there with a little olive oil and see what comes out!  ❤️  

Which one do you have? I wouldn’t mind the idea of starting out cheap and upgrading later if we find that we use it a lot!

27 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Wow! I had no idea that could happen — I haven’t noticed any difference in the room temperature when I use my regular convection ovens vs. the convection toaster oven. Maybe it’s an insulation issue? Maybe there isn’t enough insulation in your microwave/toaster oven, or the door seal isn’t as good?  Does your toaster oven get really hot on the outside when it’s running?

Nope, I'm sure it has to do with the venting.  Everything outside stays cool to the touch.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Thanks!

Which one do you have?

https://www.bjs.com/product/cuisinart-air-fryer---stainless-steel/3000000000001650755

Really bare bones...the timer is a dial that ticks and dings when it is done.

i use my digital timer, as a backup, bc it is more precise. Things seem to go from perfect to all-the-mozzarella-sticks-exploded level of overdone pretty fast.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pinball said:

https://www.bjs.com/product/cuisinart-air-fryer---stainless-steel/3000000000001650755

Really bare bones...the timer is a dial that ticks and dings when it is done.

i use my digital timer, as a backup, bc it is more precise. Things seem to go from perfect to all-the-mozzarella-sticks-exploded level of overdone pretty fast.

That thing is adorable!

• Like 1

I am a kitchen gadget minimalist but I love our air fryer and use it most days of the week. I love being able to bake salmon or sweet potatoes without heating up the kitchen, and honestly everything just cooks up perfectly.

I have a Phillips - I highly recommend a basket, I use it all the time.

Pinterest is a great place to find recipes! 🙂 

• Like 1

I don’t have one because I have no need, but my sister adores her Ninja Foodi Grill. She uses it mostly for air frying, but when it’s yucky out she uses it to grill too. And I believe to make cookies...

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I have a Phillips - I highly recommend a basket, I use it all the time.

Any particular reasons that a basket is superior to a tray? I am thinking of getting one and never looked at the basket style because they seemed to hold lesser than trays.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Any particular reasons that a basket is superior to a tray? I am thinking of getting one and never looked at the basket style because they seemed to hold lesser than trays.

This insert is what I mean by a basket; in different types of air fryers maybe they are different? I use mine for roasting veggies, for dishes like Cajun shrimp, for French fries, etc. I use the tray (so, without the basket insert) for things like homemade calzones, fish and chicken, egg rolls and so on.

I can fit a LOT more sweet potatoes or Brussels sprouts, for example, in the basket than single layer on the tray.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Get it. It is a complete game changer. Do not be like me and resist technology. 

Complete game changer. 

I would throw in an instant pot and dehydrator while you are at it. 

Our air fryer is this one

https://www.amazon.com/1550-Watt-Programmable-Reheating-Dehydrating-AF101/dp/B07FDJMC9Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7r_S5suX8AIV8R6tBh2jqgV1EAAYASAAEgKrT_D_BwE&hvadid=510657364048&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026847&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1751466410639601884&hvtargid=kwd-954466755837&hydadcr=20191_10156264&keywords=ninja+max+xl+5.5+qt.+air+fryer&qid=1619291742&sr=8-4

Air fried veggies or dehydrated ones that look like chips are a whole new realm. My kids eat beetroots as chips thanks to the dehydrator.

1) Can one set that device to 140 f (60c)?

2) Can one turn the device on and have it stay on, or is there a mandatory timeout, and if so what is the maximum time allowed?

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Get it. It is a complete game changer. Do not be like me and resist technology. 

Complete game changer. 

I would throw in an instant pot and dehydrator while you are at it. 

Our air fryer is this one

https://www.amazon.com/1550-Watt-Programmable-Reheating-Dehydrating-AF101/dp/B07FDJMC9Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7r_S5suX8AIV8R6tBh2jqgV1EAAYASAAEgKrT_D_BwE&hvadid=510657364048&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026847&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1751466410639601884&hvtargid=kwd-954466755837&hydadcr=20191_10156264&keywords=ninja+max+xl+5.5+qt.+air+fryer&qid=1619291742&sr=8-4

Air fried veggies or dehydrated ones that look like chips are a whole new realm. My kids eat beetroots as chips thanks to the dehydrator.

Please share the dehydrated veggie chips recipe. 

• Like 1

Our oven does convection but the air fryer but the air fryer still gets things more crispy and faster.  More fans for a smaller area.  It definitely doesn't heat up out kitchen like the oven which is amazing.  If you already have an instant pot you could get the air fryer lid.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Our oven does convection but the air fryer but the air fryer still gets things more crispy and faster.  More fans for a smaller area.  It definitely doesn't heat up out kitchen like the oven which is amazing.  If you already have an instant pot you could get the air fryer lid.

I was thinking about that, but the Instant Pot lid costs more than a lot of the air fryers!

• Like 1

Ok, round 1: French fries. I am not playing fair. I normally cook 2 pounds of fries at a time because I have a larger family with three teens and a child who eats like a teen. Fries are a splurge, so when we eat them, we enjoy them. I started my oven on preheat and then I popped 1 lb of fries in the air fryer. My oven came to temperature just as my first batch of fries finished (15 min at 400 in the air fryer). There was a clear winner on the fries—it’s the air fryer. They were deliciously crisp. My oven fries have never been that crisp.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ok, I have started cooking. I am making chicken tenders, French fries and onion rings.

I am comparing my Jenn Air oven on convection setting, using stainless steel baking trays and a stainless steel crisping rack versus a GoWiseUSA air fryer I borrowed from my library.

That you *borrowed from your library*?! That settles it: I need to live where you live.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I have chicken tenders going in the air fryer now. It is loud. My tv is about 10’ away in the same open space and we have had to crank the tv up to hear it.

The GoWise cookbook is awesome—tons of interesting recipes. The library also included a cookbook—Air Fryer Cookbook by Amanda Robbins. I flipped through it, but don’t think I will buy it. The free booklet looked better to me.

• Like 1

Our library here is really amazing.

My oven cooked food is all done. My chicken just finished in the air fryer. Starting the onion rings now. 

The air fryer chicken tenders is darker in color than the oven baked. The breading is much crispier. I think it cooked too long. The chicken isn’t dry, but the breading definitely is. I actually prefer the oven baked on this one. Dh prefers the air fryer. He says it’s noticeably hotter and seems like it is more restaurant quality even if it’s drier.

• Like 2

Ok, onion rings are done. 6/6 family members prefer them in the air fryer. General consensus is that air fryer makes better fries and onion rings, our oven did better with the chicken.

For those with limited kitchen space/dedicated minimalists, I think it’s not worth the splurge unless you must have crisp fries at home.....

I am hoping to try doughnuts tomorrow, but I am crunched for time, so we’ll see.

I am leaning towards not buying due to having to make multiple batches due to family size and the space it takes up. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

General consensus is that air fryer makes better fries and onion rings, our oven did better with the chicken.

The air fryer kicks butt with fries. My ds half lives on potato fries, sweet potato fries, hash browns, anything frozen and filling, and they are DONE in 8 minutes from when you put them in and set the crank. I have a reasonably nice convection toaster oven (I forget, the swanky popular one) and the Cuisinart air fryer thing is way faster and turns out fries that are way better. And it does a mean hot dog if you're into them. We have deer dogs made from our meat, and they're noticeably wow in the air fryer. Frozen burritoes are passable and shockingly fast.

So yeah, for us it's mainly convenience/junk food. ATK has a whole cookbook of air fryer recipes. I got it from the library and started reading, but that must have been before I banged my head as I haven't finished or made something from it. 

28 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I am leaning towards not buying due to having to make multiple batches due to family size and the space it takes up. 

I agree. We're cooking for 1-2 so it's not a big deal. And it's in the basement. No one I'd have it eating up space in my main kitchen. Now granted this unit (the Cuisinart) can in theory be a normal toaster oven, but it's bulky, not as pretty, cranky (not digital), and doesn't have convenience features (magnetic door to pull out the rack, light that turns on, etc.).

• Like 1

Air frying is convection broiling.  Does your oven have that feature?  I'm really glad I discovered this before I bought an air fryer.  I had never actually pushed that button on my oven before I learned this.  Now, I'm doing a whole tray of wings regularly with it and I'm glad I'm not stuck doing small trays in an appliance that doesn't hold much food but takes up a lot of counter space.  

• Like 1

Thank you, @prairiewindmomma for your detailed report on the air fryer vs the convection oven!  It was so helpful!!!

I am leaning toward buying one, but I still have to figure out which size to get. It would seem that the large convection oven type might not be any different from using my regular oven or the big convection toaster oven, so I have to give this some thought.

21 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Air frying is convection broiling.  Does your oven have that feature?  I'm really glad I discovered this before I bought an air fryer.  I had never actually pushed that button on my oven before I learned this.  Now, I'm doing a whole tray of wings regularly with it and I'm glad I'm not stuck doing small trays in an appliance that doesn't hold much food but takes up a lot of counter space.  

I had no idea — everything I read said to use a “convection oven,” but it didn’t specify “convection broiling!” Both my double wall ovens and my big toaster oven have the convection broil feature, so I’m going to try them and see how they work. 

It’s kind of embarrassing to admit that I have never once used the convection broil feature. I have used convection bake and convection roast, but never thought to use convection broil. 

@prairiewindmomma — my wall ovens in this house are JennAir and they have convection broil, so hopefully your ovens have it, too! 

I’m going to try this tomorrow with my bagel recipe. Even on the lowest setting, it might burn them into crispy charcoal, but it’s worth a try before I buy a stand-alone air fryer. Maybe I’ll just try it with one bagel, before I potentially burn a whole batch of them.

Thanks for the tip!

We are thoroughly enjoying our air fryer. Yes, it slays french fries and any kind of frozen and not-so-good-for-you product, lol. That is both a good and bad feature. 

We also really like chicken, boudin, sweet potatoes, and Brussel sprouts in it. You can put quite a lot in it and just give the basket an occasional shake. Everything comes out crispy. The reheat feature is excellent. It has other settings like bake, dehydrate, roast, and air broil, but we've really been stuck on air frying and reheating and need to make a point of trying the other settings

I think this one is what I have, or it's very similar. It's definitely a Ninja Foodie. I like having the two baskets that can be at different temperatures and times. No preheating needed. 

6 hours ago, mathnerd said:

My baskets are each 4 quarts, so 8 quarts total. They hold a lot, and you can pile the food unless it's bigger chunks of meat (like stuffed chicken breasts, I only do one layer). 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

We are thoroughly enjoying our air fryer. Yes, it slays french fries and any kind of frozen and not-so-good-for-you product, lol. That is both a good and bad feature. 

We also really like chicken, boudin, sweet potatoes, and Brussel sprouts in it. You can put quite a lot in it and just give the basket an occasional shake. Everything comes out crispy. The reheat feature is excellent. It has other settings like bake, dehydrate, roast, and air broil, but we've really been stuck on air frying and reheating and need to make a point of trying the other settings

I think this one is what I have, or it's very similar. It's definitely a Ninja Foodie. I like having the two baskets that can be at different temperatures and times. No preheating needed. 

My baskets are each 4 quarts, so 8 quarts total. They hold a lot, and you can pile the food unless it's bigger chunks of meat (like stuffed chicken breasts, I only do one layer). 

Thanks! I really like the idea of the dual baskets!

It seems like there are a lot of good options. I’m going to try @KungFuPanda‘s convection broiling suggestion tomorrow, and if that doesn’t work very well, I’m going to figure out which air fryer to order.

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I had no idea — everything I read said to use a “convection oven,” but it didn’t specify “convection broiling!” Both my double wall ovens and my big toaster oven have the convection broil feature, so I’m going to try them and see how they work. 

I don't think saying an air fryer is the same as convection broiling is accurate, or at least it's not how I think of it, because broiling means to put it close to the heating element. There is no open heating element in an air fryer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, katilac said:

I don't think saying an air fryer is the same as convection broiling is accurate, or at least it's not how I think of it, because broiling means to put it close to the heating element. There is no open heating element in an air fryer. 

Ooh! You’re right! 

The plot thickens...

(I was thinking I would put the bagel on the bottom rack in the oven, to keep it as far away from the heating element as possible, but I’m still thinking I will probably end up with char on the outside and raw dough on the inside.) 

10 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It’s kind of embarrassing to admit that I have never once used the convection broil feature. I have used convection bake and convection roast, but never thought to use convection broil. 

@prairiewindmomma — my wall ovens in this house are JennAir and they have convection broil, so hopefully your ovens have it, too! 

I’m going to try this tomorrow with my bagel recipe. Even on the lowest setting, it might burn them into crispy charcoal, but it’s worth a try before I buy a stand-alone air fryer. Maybe I’ll just try it with one bagel, before I potentially burn a whole batch of them.

Thanks for the tip!

Nobody tells you this and apparently it's censored from the internet.  I was watching Alton Brown try an air fryer on Quarantine Quitchen and he was examining the thing to figure out how it even worked.  He was annoyed with the whole idea.  He's all "It's an heating element and a fan! That's convection broiling!"  I walked over to look at my oven and, sure enough, I had that button and had never used it.  Now I can't stop.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, katilac said:

I don't think saying an air fryer is the same as convection broiling is accurate, or at least it's not how I think of it, because broiling means to put it close to the heating element. There is no open hOeating element in an air fryer. 

Oooooh, that makes for an interesting discussion.  What makes a broil?  I'd argue that close, very high heat makes a broil and not how exposed the element is. I could be wrong.  I can't google responsibly after midnight.

• Haha 2

Update: I ordered an air fryer.

It didn’t seem like the convection broiling thing was going to work for the recipes I wanted to make, so I ordered this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chefman-turbofry-touch-8-quart-air-fryer-w-xl-viewing-window-advanced-digital-display-black/6414715.p?skuId=6414715

I liked it because it looked like a nice size, and also because I liked the basket and the cute little window.

My new toy will be arriving tomorrow. 😃

• Like 5

• Catwoman changed the title to (I bought one!) Do I need an air fryer? And which one???

Yay! Welcome to the club. LOL. 

We mostly use ours for frozen fries & onion rings, but have made other things, as well.

Wings come out nice and crispy, but dh found that he can get just as good of a result putting them on his BBQ, so we save the air fryer for fries while he takes care of the wings. I'll whip up a batch of the cole slaw that Chick Fil A used to have, and it makes for a nice and easy meal!

I think my favorite thing about the air fryer is that it uses almost no electricity and doesn't heat the house up.

I hope you enjoy it!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Oooooh, that makes for an interesting discussion.  What makes a broil?  I'd argue that close, very high heat makes a broil and not how exposed the element is. I could be wrong.  I can't google responsibly after midnight.

Good point. And I realized that I would actually need a periscope to know for sure that the element isn't exposed anywhere in the air fryer. I think that close to the heat source with very high heat is probably a good definition of broil. I don't think the food in my usually gets as close as two to four inches from the heat source, but I'll have to check. But also, I don't cook everything in my air fryer at high heat by any means. Plus it has an actual air broil setting, completely apart from the air fry setting, so I'm not sure what that difference is. I haven't used it yet but will try to do so in the name of science. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Update: I ordered an air fryer.

It didn’t seem like the convection broiling thing was going to work for the recipes I wanted to make, so I ordered this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/chefman-turbofry-touch-8-quart-air-fryer-w-xl-viewing-window-advanced-digital-display-black/6414715.p?skuId=6414715

I liked it because it looked like a nice size, and also because I liked the basket and the cute little window.

My new toy will be arriving tomorrow. 😃

That was quick! Congratulations! Could you please let us know why you chose this model so that I can do more research? And please post how you like it on this thread after you try your favorite recipes on it ...