Menu

Advice on house / neighborhood

lauraw4321

We live in a lovely neighborhood. It has an HOA, but not an awful one, and it includes a pool in the summer, tennis courts, lovely walking path around a lake, exercise room, etc. There are lots of kids and our younger kids spend hours after school and on the weekend traipsing between houses playing outside. These relationships and this time together is extremely important to them, and they cherish these friendships.

Our house is a money pit nightmare. For multiple reasons, we have to constantly battle water in our crawlspace (after encapsulation, mold remediation, etc. etc.). We've had helical piers installed to stabilize the foundation. We had to remove dangerous trees close to the house that were tearing up the foundation. We just finished a huge yard remodel because it was in such awful shape. We have easily put $100K into this house.

I found out today that even MORE is recommended to be done in the crawl space. If we don't, we're going to have black mold again. Part of me is SO TIRED of the constant struggle and loss of funds. We could likely sell and get back something now (we'd probably walk away with about $200K, but we'd have to use that to buy a new house, and prices have gone up, so not like we're really getting ahead, IFKWIM).

The market is so hot right now that it's extremely unlikely we'd actually be able to stay in this neighborhood. And frankly, I'm afraid to because of the water issue - it is an issue in many of the homes here. So WWYD?  Keep pouring money into the foundation until the kids are older and neighborhood friends matter less? Or bite the bullet and move?  One note, we just moved back here from being away for 2.5 years, so they've only been back in this house for 8 months.

• Sad 3

Another vote to move. When you've done all those sorts of things and the core issue still isn't fixed, then the core issue is the water. Unless there's some reason to believe the neighborhood itself is doing something to deal with overall drainage issues, it's time to cut your losses.

• Like 2

First thing I would do is go to the <homeimprovement> Sub on Reddit.  Also, I think there a plumbing sub or something like that, so look at that, too.  I know that sounds like an odd suggestion.    But some of those people are freaking geniuses, especially with problems like yours.    

I would just post a simple 'here's what we did to the basement...here's what is happening now...here's what we were told we need to do... what do y'all think, is this a money pit or should we try fixing it?'   If you have pics, include them.    Then, after you go through the suggestions, see how you feel.  Someone (they have quite a few experts in there and very proficient diy'ers) may give you an idea of a better way to handle the issue.  Or maybe not.   But I'd take a day and post it and see the responses before I committed to getting out of the money pit.  

Your neighborhood sounds lovely, especially for kids.  But obviously, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  I'd look into the options first.  Just my 2 cents.  Good luck!  

• Like 5

Oh gosh, I feel ya. At this moment, I have a crew in my crawl space finishing up phase two - mold wipe, dehumidifier, vapor barrier and vent seals. (Phase 1 was sump pump and trench and insulation removal.) $12k total - thank goodness for the stimulus!

We've replaced rotten subfloor in three rooms (and twice in one of those) -- all in the last 3 years. Water issues SUCK. 

I have been perusing zillow. I told DH that I won't replace floors again...that doesn't even cover our other issues (need French drains in the yard, plumbing issues, etc).  I'm just done. We can sell our place for almost $100k more than we bought it...but we'd have to downsize to an apartment. 

Anyway...no help here. Just commiserating. 

Have you had an actualy engineer look at the foundation? Because unless you fix the drainage, all the mold and moisture remediation in the world won't make a difference. If the slopes of the lots and the drainage isn't addressed, then you're fighting a losing battle. 

If an engineer comes out they may have a real, practical solution that probably won't involve foundation issues, but will involve moving dirt and installing french drains. It's possible that the whole neighborhood was improperly graded and you will never win this battle, But it might be worth $150 consulting fee (or free if you happen to know someone who is a civil engineer) to find out why the water is there.

• Like 5

I agree with having an engineer look at it, just beware piping the water into a neighbor’s yard. Which sounds ridiculous but it happened to a friend of mine, she’s a landscape architect and her neighbor flooded her yard. It took a lawsuit to fix, and in the end the neighbor’s insurance and the city both demanded they change it back and use french drains and pumps to put the water into the city sewer instead.

If you decide to move you don’t want to be in that neighborhood. The houses all have the same soil and the same inept developer so probably all of them have similar issues.

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

I agree with having an engineer look at it, just beware piping the water into a neighbor’s yard. Which sounds ridiculous but it happened to a friend of mine, she’s a landscape architect and her neighbor flooded her yard. It took a lawsuit to fix, and in the end the neighbor’s insurance and the city both demanded they change it back and use french drains and pumps to put the water into the city sewer instead.

If you decide to move you don’t want to be in that neighborhood. The houses all have the same soil and the same inept developer so probably all of them have similar issues.

Yes, we've been down this road. We have french drains. Trust me. We've done all that is possible to alleviate.

• Sad 2

Have you had second opinions on the crawl space and mold issues? Consulted different kinds of experts, not just the same ones? I'd definitely want to do that, particularly as there is no current problem but rather 'you will have future problems if you don't let me do x, y, and z.' 

If a lot of the neighborhood houses have it, then yeah, it's likely a real problem due to poor development, that may never be solved. But I'd want to make sure, bc good neighborhoods are hard to find. 

Have any of the homes in the problem area sold recently? All these issues will have to be disclosed, so you'll want a realistic estimate of selling price.

@WildflowerMomhas  a great suggestion to check on the subReddit. 

• Like 2

It might be cheaper to tear down and start over.

Everything you know about needed repairs - you are legally required to disclose to a potential buyer.  so, if you need another $50K in crawl space repairs - that would be deducted from your profit. 

(some people are fine with it.  some friends bought a house which was the prize in a fight between the bank and the IRS (the home owner was long gone. - the bank won.)  It had a very long list of "what needs to be repaired".  and he started plugging away at it.  one of the very first things they did was a french drain because of their basement water problems. - and my friend demanded the kitchen be completely redone before she'd move in.

and if your house has so many issues, chances are good other houses in the development do too.  (has your builder been sued out of existence yet?)

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

It might be cheaper to tear down and start over.

Everything you know about needed repairs - you are legally required to disclose to a potential buyer.  so, if you need another $50K in crawl space repairs - that would be deducted from your profit. 

The two states I’ve lived in were/are buyer beware (caveat emptor) states, so this is not the case everywhere.

Edited by popmom
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

The two states I’ve lived in were/are buyer beware (caveat emptor) states, so this is not the case everywhere.

it is here - if the owner DOESN'T know about a costly problem, it's on the buyer.  if the owner DOES know about  a costly problem - the owner needs to disclose.

or are you saying - the owners can know the house needs costly work - and in your state they can legally LIE about it?  (by refusing to disclose when asked if they know of any issues with the house/property).

eta: though I can suspect the owner was lying about termites on a house dd and dsil had an accepted offer.  the seller kept demanding they finalize the sale *before* it had a termite inspection.   like 30 (60?) minutes before it had a termite inspection scheduled to start.   dsil was so fed up with the seller at that point - he terminated the sale.

Edited by gardenmom5

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

it is here - if the owner DOESN'T know about a costly problem, it's on the buyer.  if the owner DOES know about  a costly problem - the owner needs to disclose.

or are you saying - the owners can know the house needs costly work - and in your state they can legally LIE about it?  (by refusing to disclose when asked if they know of any issues with the house/property).

eta: though I can suspect the owner was lying about termites on a house dd and dsil had an accepted offer.  the seller kept demanding they finalize the sale *before* it had a termite inspection.   like 30 (60?) minutes before it had a termite inspection scheduled to start.   dsil was so fed up with the seller at that point - he terminated the sale.

Research “caveat emptor”. There is no asking to disclose—it’s just understood. It’s on the buyers to have any and all inspections done prior to closing. The buyer always has an “out” of the contract if the home doesn’t pass inspection. I’ve sold 4 houses in these states. There is no “lying” on the part of the seller because there is never any “asking” on the part of the buyer. It’s on the buyer to have a thorough inspection done. But even if the seller knows there is, say, a problem with the foundation—they are not required to disclose that. So it’s incumbent on the buyer to damn sure know they have a good independent home inspector. Home inspectors must have their own insurance to cover their own liability.

Anyone can try to sue anyone. Caveat emptor doesn’t prevent that.

Btw... the termite scenario would never happen in my state. That is one thing required of the seller. I just sold a condo, and I had to pay for a termite inspection/letter. It’s required for closing in my state.

ETA... The market is so tight in my neck of the woods that many buyers are waiving inspection to make their offer more attractive. It’s nuts around here. The condo I just sold in a college town in state... I had an offer the night before it was officially listed—sight unseen. I had two offers within 2 days. Great for me, but I’m SO, so glad I’m not having to buy real estate right now. Anyway, that first offer we countered at full asking price. It was a super clean cash offer. She did want an inspection which was fine by me. I got full asking price and didn’t pay a dime in closing costs. Buyer got a totally updated condo with all necessary repairs done. Happy parties all around. My conscience would never allow me to give less than the best possible. I made sure any repairs were done and done correctly. I scrubbed that place top to bottom and put in new carpeting. It was immaculate for the next owners. 

Edited by popmom