Menu

Father takes child into African bull elephant enclosure

TravelingChris

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I bet that he thought that he and his child were special snowflakes who didn't have to obey the signs and could have their own personal up-close look at the elephants. 

If there's one thing this past year has showed us, it's just how many special snowflakes are out there. 

• Like 10

I used to work at a zoo in NYC. People are nuts. The craziest visitor story I have is the man who got into the porcupine enclosure and started shaking the young tree that the porcupine was in. I mean, did he not think it possible he'd shake that porcupine right down on his own head? Luckily the porcupine had a tenacious grip and security came right away. 

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

26 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

There are crazy people who will do anything to be able to post selfies on social media with an african elephant.

Yep this is what I bet happened.   Crazy that the elephants charged them.  They are so lucky they didn't get hurt.   I have been to this zoo a few times and isn't it more of an open air zoo than normal zoos? Like they have a safari where you ride a tram to see the animals?   I have been to this exhibit, but I can't remember the barriers and how they are set up.   But as we have seen in the past there are barriers and still the people get to the animals. 

Remember the tiger that jumped out of his enclosure in San Francisco at Christmas time a few years back and killed one guy and mauled another?  They had advanced to the second railing, and were trying to incite her.  Once she jumped out, she killed one and chased the other through the zoo, with great specificity.  It was the week of the shortest days of the year, and around 5PM it’s deep dusk then, and that zoo is almost always foggy.  It took a while to even figure out what was going on.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Remember the tiger that jumped out of his enclosure in San Francisco at Christmas time a few years back and killed one guy and mauled another?  They had advanced to the second railing, and were trying to incite her.  Once she jumped out, she killed one and chased the other through the zoo, with great specificity.  It was the week of the shortest days of the year, and around 5PM it’s deep dusk then, and that zoo is almost always foggy.  It took a while to even figure out what was going on.

What I was sad about was that they killed the tiger.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

What I was sad about was that they killed the tiger.

I was sad about a bunch of things, but once a big cat has tasted human flesh it becomes extremely dangerous.  I don’t know whether this is the same one that had bitten a feeder’s lower arm off, but I was surprised that that one was not euthanized at the time.  

The main thing is that anyone who has ever seen a house cat clamber up a fence would have thought that those tigers could get out.  The wall was not even close to tall enough to completely prevent it.  And that was absolutely unacceptable.

• Like 3

I was watching a recorded BBC Travel show this morning on which there was sn older segment shown of a wild animal rescue in Thailand where the animals were in the place because people had taken them into their homes or used them as tourist attractions where people fo things like ride a lion/tiger hybrid or cuddle w baby orangutans etc.  

And then I saw this story later and thought how it was such similar behavior.

And yes, a little of the special snowflake people seem to be also quite dumb.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I have been to this zoo a few times and isn't it more of an open air zoo than normal zoos? Like they have a safari where you ride a tram to see the animals?   I have been to this exhibit, but I can't remember the barriers and how they are set up.   But as we have seen in the past there are barriers and still the people get to the animals. 

San Diego Zoo and San Diego Wild Animal Park are two different zoos. The Wild Animal Park has more open spaces and a safari tram.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle said:

I don’t know about you, but the level of dumbness is directly proportional to how much longer is left in my shift.  The closer I am to going home, the dumber the decisions people are making.

God’s own truth, my friend. 

That, and the closer I get to retirement, the more I work internally to stifle my irritation with the stupidity. I am not always successful. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep this is what I bet happened.   Crazy that the elephants charged them.  They are so lucky they didn't get hurt.   I have been to this zoo a few times and isn't it more of an open air zoo than normal zoos? Like they have a safari where you ride a tram to see the animals?   I have been to this exhibit, but I can't remember the barriers and how they are set up.   But as we have seen in the past there are barriers and still the people get to the animals. 

The San Diego Zoo has two different sections.  One in town is a more like a traditional zoo and the other one is outside of San Diego, and that is the one you are thinking about.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

People are so stupid. If I were this child's mom, I'd be concerned that leaving my child with the dad was  unsafe pretty much always.

Yeah, honestly, I would think a CPS investigation would be warranted based on whether or not the father has good judgment.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, honestly, I would think a CPS investigation would be warranted based on whether or not the father has good judgment.  

Yes,  I agree that a CPS investigation should be started.  

All too often one isn't started soon enough, especially w drug abusers.  Just one of the heartbreaking stories - one that I saw today https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/us/kentucky-fentanyl-overdose-trnd/index.html

• Sad 1

On 3/21/2021 at 11:08 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

The story I read said that he actually dropped the child while running. He is being held on child cruelty charges. 

You can see the video here.

23 hours ago, kbutton said:

The only plausible explanation I can think of is that he's from some other country where zoos are more open (I have heard about zoos that are more open from people who live overseas).

He had to breach multiple barriers to get into the enclosure, so there's no way he thought it was allowed. 

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 4:44 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Remember the tiger that jumped out of his enclosure in San Francisco at Christmas time a few years back and killed one guy and mauled another? 

We went that day and left at closing time. We heard the news on the car ride home. It was in 2007

On 3/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

.  I don’t know whether this is the same one that had bitten a feeder’s lower arm off, but I was surprised that that one was not euthanized at the time.  

Same tiger.

• Sad 3