Menu

Give me 5 family-friendly video titles to buy for Christmas

Hi, I would like to buy each of my children a video for Christmas to add to our family library. We have virtually no videos that are on DVD. So could you recommend some titles for me. Some restrictions are PG or G-rated; suitable for the whole family and fairly "easily available" - if you know a website where I should look that is fine too.

The movies don't have to be "Christian" tho that is a plus, but just family friendly. I'd also like some titles that are fairly "sure things" if there is such a thing; so maybe bigger name movies as opposed to obscure classics :().

I think I'll buy the first and second Narnia and we have Facing the Giants; so what else? Oh and if you could add a brief blurb if the movie is not well known that would be great?? (and we are on dial up so it is pretty time consuming to follow links for info - thx!)

My children are dtrs ages 16,14,11 and 2 sons, age 6,9. Thanks!!!

Edited by 74Heaven
add req for more info

We recently enjoyed Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, Swiss Family Robinson, Peter Pan, The Rookie, Akeelah and the Bee, Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. Well, that's six! :) We have Netflix and are enjoying Friday night movie nights with our family.

My nieces and nephews stay with us all summer... they are 13,14,15,16,17. *favorites, most frequently watched and enjoyed by all.

Underdog*

Underdog is actually Shoeshine Boy, a mild-mannered pooch who's been imbued with superpowers following a lab accident. Now, the hound's 12-year-old owner (Alex Neuberger) is the only one who shares his secret. The canine superhero debuted in the TV cartoon that ran in the 1960s and 1970s and became a movie star with the release of this live-action film based on the character.

The Last Mimzy

After Emma (Rhiannon Leigh Wryn) and Noah (Chris O'Neil) discover a mysterious box of toys that's been sent from the future, the siblings start to develop some inexplicable, unearthly abilities in this family adventure. Mimzy is a stuffed rabbit that has an advanced microchip that can communicate with the children, teaching them how to save the future.

The Incredibles*

Bob Parr (voiced by Craig T. Nelson) has given up his swashbuckling days to log in time as an insurance adjuster and raise his three children with his formerly heroic wife (Holly Hunter). Meet the Incredibles, the award-winning Pixar team's superhero family that comes out of banal, suburban hiding to don their old costumes and save the world again.

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl

An outcast 10-year-old boy winds up having the best summer of his life in this children's adventure tale. Rejected by his classmates and forced to endure summer vacation all by himself, a young boy (Taylor Lautner) dreams up the best two imaginary friends a kid could have -- Sharkboy and Lavagirl. The friends set off on an exciting mission to prove that dreams can become reality. David Arquette, Kristin Davis and George Lopez co-star.

Big Fat Liar

Junior high school students Jason (Frankie Muniz) and Kaylee (Amanda Bynes) are a couple of precocious kids who want to see (screen) credit where credit is due. After a greedy Hollywood producer turns Jason's essay into a hit film -- and leaves Jason's name on the proverbial cutting room floor -- the youngsters travel to Hollywood to twist a few arms for some payback. Tinseltown moral: Don't double-cross teens with driving permits!

The Pacifier

Tough-guy Navy SEAL Shane Wolf (Vin Diesel) never imagined he'd wind up as a babysitter. But that he is, now that he's been assigned to protect the unruly kids -- wily Zoe (Brittany Snow), pouty Seth (Max Theriot), hyperactive Lulu (Morgan York), toddler Peter and baby Tyler -- of a scientist who was killed while working on a top secret government project. What's more, he's shocked to discover that it's the hardest job he's ever had!

Ella Enchanted*

Ella of Frell (Anne Hathaway) is given the "gift of obedience" by a fairy, but soon comes to realize that it's more of a curse because it could separate her from her true love, Prince Charmont (Hugh Dancy). Will Ella manage to conjure a "cure" that enables her to live happily ever after? Co-starring Cary Elwes and Minnie Driver, Ella Enchanted is based on the Newberry Award-winning children's book by Gail Carson Levine.

Enchanted

Princess Giselle's (Amy Adams) perfect life in the wonderful cartoon kingdom of Andalasia comes to an abrupt end when the evil Queen Narissa (Susan Sarandon) exiles her to the cruel, real world of New York City, where the naive girl will have to quickly learn some street smarts. Fortunately, a Prince Charming in the unlikely form of a divorce lawyer (Patrick Dempsey) offers to lend the bewildered Giselle a hand.

Zathura

Jon Favreau directs this science-fiction adventure from the creators of Jumanji, based on the book by acclaimed children's author Chris Van Allsburg. After discovering a mysterious game in the basement of their house, pint-sized brothers Danny and Walter Budwing (Jonah Bobo and Josh Hutcherson) are sent flying into space, where they must finish the game by reaching the planet Zathura -- or be trapped in galactic limbo forever.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

The Incredibles

Cars

Monsters, Inc.

Finding Nemo

Toy Story 1 & 2

October Sky

Dreamer

Nanny McPhee

Goonies

Game Plan

Ever After

The Never Ending Story

Sandlot

Benji

Beethoven (dog movie)

Mighty Ducks

Flubber

Lemony Snicket

Jack Frost (not the animated version)

Apollo 13

August Rush (one of my newer, personal favorites)

Big

E.T.

Ghost Busters

Nancy Drew

I'm pretty sure these are all PG or lower... I didn't list all of the Disney Titles I could have, there are a TON of those to choose from though.

Enchanted

Some we like:

National Treasure and National Treasure 2

These are great action/adventures movies that are great. They set out to make a movie for grown ups that kids could watch. Our children loved them.

Journey to the Center of the Earth

We really liked this adventure also. There are a lot of peril situations. My dh and dd saw it in the movie theater, but he felt that ds should see it at home so those scenes wouldn't be so large and loud. He really wasn't scared at all at home.

Sky High

This has been out awhile, but we enjoy it still. It is a superhero movie.

The Polar Express

This is one of our favorites. We've never told our kids Santa was real, or gave presents from him, but this movie almost made me wish we had.

All the Pixar movies. I would say Finding Nemo is my all-time favorite.

I saw ET recently and it actually has bad language in it. Perhaps one of those parent sites would have more details. Lots of the 1980's movies do.... Steven Spielberg (or maybe George Lucas) said that the studios would actually ask them to put in more racy stuff and bad language because that's what people liked. Remember "Back to the Future?" Same time period and even more questionable stuff: a highschooler trying to get out of town (camping) with his girlfriend for an "overnighter," and also that scene where Michael J. Fox is in a car "parking" with his MOM (ew) and she starts taking her clothes off!

And I'm not a prude at ALL. I was just really surprised that ET had bad languge in it -- a lot of it played for laughs because it comes out of 6-year-old Drew Barrymore's mouth. Apparently it's funnier when a 6yo says "penis." Actually, my 9yo did LOL, but still........

Julie

Family movies - as in films the adults will tolerate, too?

National Velvet (Taylor/Rooney - NOT the Tatum O'Neill thing))

Milo and Otis - cute little puppy and kitty have adventures outdoors, narrated by Dudley Moore

Giant Robot (animation by the guy who did Incredibles, Ratatouille - both of which I also recommend)

Black Stallion - visually stunning. Note does begin with a shipwreck and death of the beloved father.

Sound of Music - need I say more?

Wizard of Oz - ditto

Totoro (animation - about Japanese wood spirits btw but hardly offensive!)

all should be available at Amazon

After NOW scrolling up to see what others listed, I will second Ella Enchanted and Enchanted and add Ever After!!!

Oh, and PRINCESS BRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

Secondhand Lions is very good but I think it has a lot of language in it.

My kids love the National Treasure movies, Night at the Musuem, Sky High, Game Plan, The Pacifier, Incredibles, Toy Story, my dd(17) has always loved the Anne of Green Gables series, Narnia, Lord of the Rings( too intense for younger but the older kids love them.) Maybe Enchanted.

Sky High-

Will Stronghold (Michael Angarano) -- the son of married superheroes known as the Commander (Kurt Russell) and Josie Jetstream (Kelly Preston) -- is faced with an intimidating family legacy. And the kids at the elite Sky High School don't make him feel any better about his lack of superpowers. Surrounded by classmates including a self-replicating cheerleader and a jock who can stretch himself silly, Will is beginning to look awfully normal.

With the older ones in mind...

Goodnight, Mr. Tom

Rabbit-Proof Fence

Lorenzo's Oil

Nicholas Nickleby

Dreamer

The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn

Drums Along the Mohawk

My Dog Skip

Far From Home: Adventures of Yellow Dog

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Simon Birch

Under the Greenwood Tree

The Snow Walker

The Mill on the Floss

To Serve Them All My Days

The Education of Little Tree

Glory Road

The Crossing

Love Comes Softly and sequels

Horatio Hornblower

Stand and Deliver

My Friend Flicka

Something the Lord Made (this is not rated, but if it were, it would be R for horrible language. That aside, it is a tremendously moving movie based on real events.)

Secondhand Lions is very good but I think it has a lot of language in it.

It does have some language in it, but it's not gratuitous- it's necessary for character development. I looked up the review on Plugged In Online, and here is the part on the bad language:

The main spoiler for families will be profanity. It’s mild, but common (about two dozen uses of “h---“ or “d--nâ€). There is also an indelicate reference to breast feeding. Fortunately, the Lord’s name is spared and young Walter never swears. Rather, in an attempt to paint Hub as grouchy and brusque, McCanlies makes him the primary offender.

I think this is one of the best movies of all time, and everyone should watch it. There are so many good lessons in this movie, I would hate for someone to miss it if they can put up with a few “h---“ or “d--nâ€s as character development.

With the older ones in mind...

Something the Lord Made (this is not rated, but if it were, it would be R for horrible language. That aside, it is a tremendously moving movie based on real events.)

Dh and I LOVE that movie, but the language sometimes made me cringe. Maybe if we had one of those bleeper things . . .

How about all 3 Shreks? We always pull them out and have yet to get sick of them. I also second August Rush.

I need to head over to my netflix account and queue up some of these other really great suggestions!

Yes! We love Shrek 2! I even bought the soundtrack. I can't believe I forgot to include it.

Hmmm. I looked at the ages and gender of your children and this is what I would suggest:

Whole family:

Narnia

National Treasure movies

The Princess Bride (great for both boys and girls)

Herbie Fully Loaded

October Sky

The Railway Children (very charming and sweet)

Nim's Island ~Might be a little young for the older girls, but the main character is a girl. Terrific family fun. Adventure, strong father/daughter relationship (and strong father character in general), humor, pro-homeschooling :), and a little romance (Gerard Butler, wahoo!). My whole family loved it!

We also loved August Rush but there is a part in the beginning which I edited out for my 6yo when we watched it as a family.

For the boys:

Sky High

Night at the Museum (very, very funny!)

For the girls:

Anne of Green Gables

Pride and Prejudice (BBC version)

North and South (BBC version)

Wives and Daughters (")

I am curious how many hours your high schooler does actual school and homework combined and how many credits you are accounting for.

I am asking here instead of the high school board because I know a lot of people use various programs for high school other than just traditional home school.

Ds is in a home school hybrid with the ps school. His program looks just like college but in classrooms with homeschooling. They expect 5-7hrs per week per credit and require a log be kept to account for every hour to the 15 minute mark. Ds is carrying 7 credits (1 over traditional) so he is required to log a bare minimum of 35 hours but they really expect almost 50. This seems very high to me, but I figure that if he was in ps that he would be gone 7-3 and then have 2 hours of homework...so maybe it isn't that far off.

It does have some language in it, but it's not gratuitous- it's necessary for character development. I looked up the review on Plugged In Online, and here is the part on the bad language:

The main spoiler for families will be profanity. It’s mild, but common (about two dozen uses of “h---“ or “d--nâ€). There is also an indelicate reference to breast feeding. Fortunately, the Lord’s name is spared and young Walter never swears. Rather, in an attempt to paint Hub as grouchy and brusque, McCanlies makes him the primary offender.

I think this is one of the best movies of all time, and everyone should watch it. There are so many good lessons in this movie, I would hate for someone to miss it if they can put up with a few “h---“ or “d--nâ€s as character development.

Particularly given the ages of most of the children in question. I second the rec....it was one of our favorites.

Barb