Menu

Appropriate tops for remote summer internship?

Kassia

DD was hired for a remote summer internship and I'm not sure what she should wear on top for any meetings or things she'll be doing on camera.  She's tall and thin, so she usually wears tall sizes. Is this something that she should contact HR about or should she just expect to have to wear something more professional on camera? I'm wondering if she can just get away with plain t-shirts (long or short sleeve) with no graphics.   

Just now, Kassia said:

DD was hired for a remote summer internship and I'm not sure what she should wear on top for any meetings or things she'll be doing on camera.  She's tall and thin, so she usually wears tall sizes. Is this something that she should contact HR about or should she just expect to have to wear something more professional on camera? I'm wondering if she can just get away with plain t-shirts (long or short sleeve) with no graphics.   

The t-shirts will probably be fine, but I would start with church- appropriate blouses or sweaters until dress code is discussed.  I know DH's typically business dress company has relaxed to sweatshirts and jeans when working from home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would also play with colors and lighting. If she'll be using Zoom, you can host your own meeting, which always looks a little different to me than just playing with the camera app on the computer. 

I'm on Zoom a lot and I find some colors really wash me out. I also try to watch the cut of my shirts. I'm not uber modest, but my camera is angled downward so I want to feel comfortable with how much of my chest is showing. 

As for actual tops, I agree that I'd go with business casual and then evaluate what everyone else is wearing. I think a cardigan thrown over a solid colored dressier tshirt and perhaps with a scarf could be good. 

• Thanks 1

Much will depend upon what field she is in.  IME, even in more conservative professions, many people are dressing more casually from home.  I was recently part of an international webinar, which if the meeting had been held in person as had been planned, it would have been a business suit event.  Every male on the panel, however, had on a polo shirt.  

There is a range of what is meant by "t-shirt"  I would recommend against starting off just wearing a grey Hanes t-shirt, for example.  But a plain T could be fine--if she is uncertain, it can always be dressed up simply with a scarf around the neck to add a bit of professionalism and color.  It is easier to start off a bit more conservative and relax as she sees the culture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Much will depend upon what field she is in.  IME, even in more conservative professions, many people are dressing more casually from home.  I was recently part of an international webinar, which if the meeting had been held in person as had been planned, it would have been a business suit event.  Every male on the panel, however, had on a polo shirt.  

This. Dh hasn't worn a tie for any zoom including board meetings and professional conference panel discussions. He's either worn a polo or a open collared dress shirt. (He's wearing shorts or sweats with these ensembles for the full zoom look.)

• Like 1

Thank you!  My adult sons can dress casually when they work from home.   

Dd was hired for a software engineer internship.  Any suggestions/links for tops you think would be appropriate?  I have no idea - I've been a SAHM forever.  She's very modest.  I know she has a cardigan and at least one blazer if she needs something to cover up with.  

14 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  My adult sons can dress casually when they work from home.   

Dd was hired for a software engineer internship.  Any suggestions/links for tops you think would be appropriate?  I have no idea - I've been a SAHM forever.  She's very modest.  I know she has a cardigan and at least one blazer if she needs something to cover up with.  

This is Australian so you won’t want to order from there but they have a workwear section to the website that could give you an idea. These are similar to what my niece who works in a professional environment and is in her mid 20s wears and she always looks really nice and well presented. Basically search for workwear blouses/tops or 9-5 tops on any clothes website convenient 

https://www.portmans.com.au/shop/en/portmans/workwear/work-tops

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I work PT in the software field and the only time I have worn blazers is when I am on a job interview.

I wear a work "uniform" because I have zero desire to mix and match appropriate colors. Usually it is black formal trousers and a blouse like this. Lots of solid colors.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-v-neck-top-regular-plus-size/5099291?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FShop by Occasion%2FWork%2FClothing&color=pink chintz

I don't like frills, flounces, patterns. I wear solid colors and accessorize. 

Thank you!  She doesn't like those things either.  She's very basic - no make-up even.  

1 minute ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is Australian so you won’t want to order from there but they have a workwear section to the website that could give you an idea. These are similar to what my niece who works in a professional environment and is in her mid 20s wears and she always looks really nice and well presented. Basically search for workwear blouses/tops or 9-5 tops on any clothes website convenient 

https://www.portmans.com.au/shop/en/portmans/workwear/work-tops

Thank you!  I will do a search for those things.  🙂  

• Like 1

We always advise our kids to dress up (business casual) for the first week of an internship.
You're young, you're being evaluated (inevitably).
It's a way to communicate that you're taking the internship seriously.
After several Zoom meetings, she'll see what the other co-workers are wearing.

I'd consider shopping a few thrift stores before the first week, then plan to shop more after you know what is generally accepted dress.

And definitely working to "stage" her work area for the Zoom meetings (lighting, accessories)

• Thanks 1

my dd had a remote software internship last summer and all the interns just wore plain t-shirts. I also work in software and the dress code for engineers is very causal. Many of our engineers wear jeans and t-shirts to work pre-covid. This is for California.

Edited by SDMomof3
  • Thanks 1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FADAVPU/ref=twister_B01FALV2WI?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

If she is most comfortable with t-shirts, you can find nicer looking shirts in a t-shirt material. For example, the shirt in the link above comes in multiple colors. This kind of thing will still be comfortable but is a step above a plain tee. And no one on Zoom will be able to tell what material it is made out of.

If she is willing to wear something other than cotton, you can branch out into other fabrics that are a little dressier. Or styles that are slightly less casual, but still comfortable, like peasant-style tops.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

I'd consider shopping a few thrift stores before the first week, then plan to shop more after you know what is generally accepted dress.

And definitely working to "stage" her work area for the Zoom meetings (lighting, accessories)

Unfortunately, she's on a super tight schedule.  She has a final on Friday, packs up her dorm room, moves on Saturday and then flies home - getting home at midnight if everything is on time, and starts the internship on Monday morning!  Maybe I can work with her remotely on staging her work area to at least get her started.  I won't be able to shop with her, though.  She'll have to shop online and have things shipped here and hope they fit.  Old Navy works well for her since she knows her exact size there, but I don't know if they carry appropriate clothes.

18 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Polos are what my friend’s husband recommends.  That is what his team and interns all wear for the zoom meetings.  He says nice tshirts are fine, too.  Just not a sports bra ( apparently someone did that during last summer). 

Polos for women, too?  Good grief on the sports bra!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Maybe I can work with her remotely on staging her work area to at least get her started. 

If they are on Zoom, there are virtual backgrounds. My dd uses a virtual background when she works.  I also use the virtual background, we even made a game of it, like pick a place that you visited or wish to visit.

Edited by SDMomof3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Unfortunately, she's on a super tight schedule.  She has a final on Friday, packs up her dorm room, moves on Saturday and then flies home - getting home at midnight if everything is on time, and starts the internship on Monday morning!  Maybe I can work with her remotely on staging her work area to at least get her started.  I won't be able to shop with her, though.  She'll have to shop online and have things shipped here and hope they fit.  Old Navy works well for her since she knows her exact size there, but I don't know if they carry appropriate clothes.

Polos for women, too?  Good grief on the sports bra!!!

Yes.  Polos for women.  Kohls has some nice ones that fit well if you have one near you. 

What were the four people interviewing your daughter wearing? That might give you an idea.  For example my husband wears long sleeve shirt for interviews, that and long sleeve polos paired with jeans or khaki pants are typically how they dress in his department because the labs are cold. 

4 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Old Navy has a "loose luxe v-neck tunic tee" that is comfy and nice looking.  Basically a soft,dressy tshirt in their luxe material (soft and a bit thinner than cotton).

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=552591072&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=Luxe

Now off to spend some money on this....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SDMomof3 said:

If they are on Zoom, there are virtual backgrounds. My dd uses a virtual background when she works.  I also use the virtual background, we even made a game of it, like pick a place that you visited or wish to visit.

LOL, obviously I don't use zoom - I had no idea this was an option!

15 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Yes.  Polos for women.  Kohls has some nice ones that fit well if you have one near you. 

Thank you!  We don't have a Kohls near us, but we can get delivery.  Fit is an issue since she's so long and thin and feels that clothes in regular sizes tend to be short and wide.  I'll take a look.

13 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

What were the four people interviewing your daughter wearing? That might give you an idea.  For example my husband wears long sleeve shirt for interviews, that and long sleeve polos paired with jeans or khaki pants are typically how they dress in his department because the labs are cold. 

Good question!  I'll ask her!  She'll probably prefer long sleeves - she's always cold like I am.  

12 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Old Navy has a "loose luxe v-neck tunic tee" that is comfy and nice looking.  Basically a soft,dressy tshirt in their luxe material (soft and a bit thinner than cotton).

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=552591072&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=Luxe

Thank you!  She's funny about necklines (she's so modest!), but I will show it to her.  

Thank you to everyone for your help!  I say this all the time, but I'm always so touched with how helpful people are here and how they take the time to help a complete stranger.  It means so much.  ❤️

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Kassia said:

LOL, obviously I don't use zoom - I had no idea this was an option!

Thank you!  We don't have a Kohls near us, but we can get delivery.  Fit is an issue since she's so long and thin and feels that clothes in regular sizes tend to be short and wide.  I'll take a look.

Good question!  I'll ask her!  She'll probably prefer long sleeves - she's always cold like I am.  

Thank you!  She's funny about necklines (she's so modest!), but I will show it to her.  

Thank you to everyone for your help!  I say this all the time, but I'm always so touched with how helpful people are here and how they take the time to help a complete stranger.  It means so much.  ❤️

If this helps- DD has a long torso and these fit her ( women sizes).  We had the issue of being too short with old navy polos.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Was coming to recommend this.

If the tech company is west coast, knit tops (t-shirt material) are probably just fine. If it’s a Midwest location, it’s likely a bit more formal. 

If she’s going to be on Zoom all day, I highly recommend a ring light ($30ish) and a microphone with a pop filter (the less expensive under $50 ones can be good—just watch the ratings on amz).

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Was coming to recommend this.

If the tech company is west coast, knit tops (t-shirt material) are probably just fine. If it’s a Midwest location, it’s likely a bit more formal. 

If she’s going to be on Zoom all day, I highly recommend a ring light ($30ish) and a microphone with a pop filter (the less expensive under $50 ones can be good—just watch the ratings on amz).

The company is in Atlanta, GA.  I don't know how much she'll be on, but I will definitely suggest the ring light and microphone you recommended!  Thanks!

FWIW, I do think she should start slowly building her more professional wardrobe. Although she will likely be working with a bunch of guys in t-shirts, hoodies, and jeans throughout her career, to be taken seriously as a young woman she will need to not be too casual or too feminine.   Even in super casual environments, personally I'd wear jeans, flats (fun colors are fine!), and a nice top with modest earrings and light makeup. I wouldn't do a ponytail/bun, t-shirt, leggings and cardigan.  There shouldn't be a double standard....but there is.  It's too easy to get wedged into a "mommy track" in tech and not be taken seriously for promotions.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, I do think she should start slowly building her more professional wardrobe. Although she will likely be working with a bunch of guys in t-shirts, hoodies, and jeans throughout her career, to be taken seriously as a young woman she will need to not be too casual or too feminine.   Even in super casual environments, personally I'd wear jeans, flats (fun colors are fine!), and a nice top with modest earrings and light makeup. I wouldn't do a ponytail/bun, t-shirt, leggings and cardigan.  There shouldn't be a double standard....but there is.  It's too easy to get wedged into a "mommy track" in tech and not be taken seriously for promotions.

Thank you.  She won't wear leggings outside of the house except to go for a walk around the neighborhood.  She does have dresses, blazers, and some dress shoes/sandals, but I didn't think she'd want to wear dresses for remote work.  She does wear a bun that is carefully done, though.  No make-up - she's never worn it and doesn't want to.  She is very simple/minimalist, but conservative. 

6 hours ago, SDMomof3 said:

I'd actually not do this unless she has a bit of time to play around with it beforehand. You need more lighting and you need the right clothes for the background. You don't want to check out something super quick and then use it, only to find your hair keeps disappearing, lol. Better to have an ordinary background that to get flustered in your first meeting. 

OP, keep other people off of their devices as much as possible for her first meetings to improve the chances of them running smoothly. Definitely do not stream Netflix while she is Zooming. Maybe your bandwidth can handle it, but that's a challenge for a later date. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

I'd actually not do this unless she has a bit of time to play around with it beforehand. You need more lighting and you need the right clothes for the background. You don't want to check out something super quick and then use it, only to find your hair keeps disappearing, lol. Better to have an ordinary background that to get flustered in your first meeting. 

OP, keep other people off of their devices as much as possible for her first meetings to improve the chances of them running smoothly. Definitely do not stream Netflix while she is Zooming. Maybe your bandwidth can handle it, but that's a challenge for a later date. 

Thank you!  We don't stream Netflix, but I use youtube for workouts in the morning - is that a problem?  DH works from home and one of my adult sons will probably be home and also working - he has frequent meetings.  If this will be a problem, I'll have to tell ds to go back to his apartment once dd is home for the summer.  

14 hours ago, Storygirl said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FADAVPU/ref=twister_B01FALV2WI?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

If she is most comfortable with t-shirts, you can find nicer looking shirts in a t-shirt material. For example, the shirt in the link above comes in multiple colors. This kind of thing will still be comfortable but is a step above a plain tee. And no one on Zoom will be able to tell what material it is made out of.

If she is willing to wear something other than cotton, you can branch out into other fabrics that are a little dressier. Or styles that are slightly less casual, but still comfortable, like peasant-style tops.

Soft blouses are a good idea. I wear shirts similar to this https://www.whitestuff.com/womens/shirts-and-blouses/navy-pr-painting-shirt/

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SDMomof3 said:

Virtual backgrounds only work on newer computers, otherwise you have to have a green screen. I'm not sure what are the required specs, so agree with above, play around with that feature before the first meeting. 

• Like 1

So little of a person's clothing shows up on Zoom that I'd recommend she just wear plain tops that are comfortable.  No need to overthink it.  As long as there are no graphics or crazy collars, anything a step up from a Haynes T-shirt will do.  I am on Zoom for work every day and I give presentations to large groups of professionals.  At first, I made a point to dress nicely.  But after reviewing recordings, I noted that no one can tell what kind of fabric I am wearing.  Now, I have relaxed considerably and wear whatever I am comfortable with.  I keep a pair of nice earrings, a scarf, and a hair brush near my work station so I can transform PJs into "work clothes" even if I am caught off guard.  Earlier this week, I has to throw the scarf and earrings on when I got pulled into a meeting while wearing a really ratty hoodie.  I don't normal like decorative scarves but it was worth it to wear for 20 minutes as a trade for being able to wear a hoodie the rest of the day!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, skimomma said:

So little of a person's clothing shows up on Zoom that I'd recommend she just wear plain tops that are comfortable.  No need to overthink it.  As long as there are no graphics or crazy collars, anything a step up from a Haynes T-shirt will do.  I am on Zoom for work every day and I give presentations to large groups of professionals.  At first, I made a point to dress nicely.  But after reviewing recordings, I noted that no one can tell what kind of fabric I am wearing.  Now, I have relaxed considerably and wear whatever I am comfortable with.  I keep a pair of nice earrings, a scarf, and a hair brush near my work station so I can transform PJs into "work clothes" even if I am caught off guard.  Earlier this week, I has to throw the scarf and earrings on when I got pulled into a meeting while wearing a really ratty hoodie.  I don't normal like decorative scarves but it was worth it to wear for 20 minutes as a trade for being able to wear a hoodie the rest of the day!

Love this!  Thank you.  I didn't know so little shows up.  

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  We don't stream Netflix, but I use youtube for workouts in the morning - is that a problem?  DH works from home and one of my adult sons will probably be home and also working - he has frequent meetings.  If this will be a problem, I'll have to tell ds to go back to his apartment once dd is home for the summer.  

It won't necessarily be a problem, depends on your internet, but I would try to minimize other use for at least her first meeting. Like don't do your youtube videos at the same time, that is streaming just like Netflix. It's not the end of the world if she has glitches or needs to cut video, so you can test out being less cautious after she starts, but I'm just thinking that ideally that very first meeting goes smoothly, lol. It's stressful when  you're young and starting out. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

It won't necessarily be a problem, depends on your internet, but I would try to minimize other use for at least her first meeting. Like don't do your youtube videos at the same time, that is streaming just like Netflix. It's not the end of the world if she has glitches or needs to cut video, so you can test out being less cautious after she starts, but I'm just thinking that ideally that very first meeting goes smoothly, lol. It's stressful when  you're young and starting out. 

She will be stressed enough with everything being so tight (finals/moving/flying/new job) - I definitely don't want to do anything to add to that!  

So, different companies have vastly different corporate cultures, of course. However, both my husband and I have been working remotely for the last year. We work for different companies; he works for a huge, international, household name, while I work for a small (under 200 employees) organization. Both of us spend most of our days in t-shirts and jeans (for him, although sometimes he doesn't make it out of pajama pants) and leggings or sweatpants for me. 

On days when he knows he has meeting with people he wants to impress, he makes sure to shave and put on a polo shirt.

My office was very casual even before we went remote. T-shirts and cargo shorts were common on the techy guys. Even my supervisor, who has a director-level title, frequently showed up for work in jeans and a logo t-shirt, with a hoodie available because she got cold in the office. 

Because I am the oldest member of the team (and conscious that what a younger, slimmer person can wear without looking disheveled does older, chubbier me no favors), I developed a "uniform" of nicer jeans (black or grey) with plain v-neck t-shirts and coordinating cardigans. This can be adjusted for weather by varying sleeve length on the t-shirt, layering an additional shirt when necessary, and weight/fabric content of the sweater. Along with keeping my hair neatly and comfortably styled and wearing earrings, this made me the most conservatively and professionally dressed member of my department.

Things have relaxed even from those levels since we've all been home. Nearly everyone shows up to Zoom and Microsoft Teams calls in logo t's and sweatshirts. 

Our daughter, who is in her mid-20s, also works remote, for a teeny company that produces conventions and other fan events. She does tend to dress up a bit more for work, mostly because she just enjoys clothes. She prefers a specific, retro aesthetic and has continued to wear the same kinds of things she wore to the office, including casual dresses and nice tops/sweater combinations. She has long-ish hair that she keeps neatly styled, often in a bun or braid. Most of the folks she works with opt for a much more casual approach. 

I think that, as long as your daughter sticks to simple, good quality (not sheer) knit tops in solid colors or non-distracting patterns and keeps her hair neat, she's going to be fine.

Personally, I would not recommend virtual backgrounds, unless she discovers that something her team enjoys playing around with. They are often glitchy and potentially distracting.

Nor do I think it's necessary to invest money in special equipment, again unless she discovers that the corporate culture where she is has that expectation. None of the three of us have done anything fancy; we just use the ambient lighting in our home office spaces, with blank walls or, in my case, a wall with some framed prints I happen to like, behind us. No ring lights. No special microphones or headphones. Just the basic audio/video built into our laptops. 

(My favorite nice t-shirts are the Lands End v-necks, which come in a variety of colors and sleeve lengths. I believe they also offer slim fits and options for taller folks. I know your daughter doesn't have time to order, and she might find these a little stodgy, but I figured I'd share the info. I watch for sales and stock up a couple of times a year.)

• Thanks 1

Another shirt suggestion:

I've bought these Amazon Essentials tees in crew and v-neck. They're very comfy and the colors are nicely saturated, so they look nicer than a tee. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDM5MHH/ref=twister_B0775CSPQS?th=1

(I wear the v-necks to church and I actually wear the crew neck for workouts because they're comfy...) I find Amazon Essentials (in general) tends to run a little big -- I size down for these. 

These scoop neck tunics are also nice. (I have the v-neck also, but it's probably too "gape-y" at the neck for your DD -- I also have a DD who doesn't like big necklines and prefers a close crew neck.) https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Essentials-Standard-Short-Sleeve-Scoopneck/dp/B07YGPY9PM/ref=sr_1_22?crid=3MFLY4WVJ5HU&dchild=1&keywords=amazon+essentials+tunic+tops+for+women&qid=1615568715&sprefix=Amazon+essentials+tunic%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-22

I wear the above tops year round -- just pair with cardis from the thrift store when its cooler! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I disagree with the make up.  I only know a few in IT who wear it and they are over 35.  Most of the younger ones don’t do much more than lip gloss around here. 

I think it is company culture and regional culture. Here it is more of a want to than a need. If you count concealers as makeup, then some guys might use a touch of concealers.

8 hours ago, Kassia said:

We don't stream Netflix, but I use youtube for workouts in the morning - is that a problem?  DH works from home and one of my adult sons will probably be home and also working - he has frequent meetings.  

It depends on your internet plan but we didn’t have problems with the cheapest broadband internet that xfinity offers with all four of us on Zoom or YouTube.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Over 35 here and lip gloss or lip stick mostly. But almost all women have groomed eye brows. The contrast in IT is different for me for men and women. Most women are put together as in neat and tidy, not necessarily made up and in mostly business casual. In contrast, many men do not bother to shave and the beards are not neat. We shall not talk about body odor. 

I lean on conservative for my dress and I live in a conservative state where women wear make up the older they are even to the grocery store. When I started, business casual was just becoming the norm. I joined when women were still wearing skirt suits and stockings to work even in the heat of summer. It was what professional dress was and most women were rejoicing that they could wear pants, no hose and no jackets. Previously it was as rigid as you could take your jacket off at your cubicle, but had to wear it to pick up a print out or go to the restroom for instance. DH started his career in IT wearing a full suit and tie to work. 

Standards have relaxed as in the cubicles are a thing of the past, oh how I miss them. But it is a myth that IT is all shorts and tees. Zuckerbeg or Steve Jobs could get away with the kind of "uniform" they wear, most of the worker bees cannot and in my experience appearance plays a part in judging people especially women. I would rather not fight that battle and did what I could to compromise. But it is a hill I chose not to die on. I wear zero makeup in real life, but at work I do whatever I can to keep it at a minimum, but I do wear something. YMMV.

The body odor thing here is huge among all.  It is not just men... 

I used to work in a very professional setting. Never wore makeup and only one woman wore skirts in a mostly women field. It was fantastic that no one notice who wore make up or skirts.  We all had to have very nice suits.  Now they require only the dress pants and nice tops.   That is perfect for what it is.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Oh dear, in IT it is almost always men because most women wear perfume at least in all the environments I work in. 

Thank goodness no one is wearing perfume.Body odor and perfume together would be a nose nightmare.  I will take the body odor over that.  Perfumes give me migraines.  And for others, it sets off allergies.  We have a few companies here that ask you not to wear it.   

I have notice it is the younger ones ( women and men) who seem not to notice their body odor at all.

20 hours ago, Kassia said:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK039ZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The link is to a set of 3 fake cami’s. It gets hot here in the summer and I like to wear lightweight dresses, but they’re always cut soooo low. I am very uncomfortable with showing cleavage.  

If I want to wear summer dresses (and certain shirts) I have to wear a cami or tshirt under them. But in the summer, that means I’m now wearing layers and it’s much too hot.

The link is to little triangles of fabric that snap onto your bra straps. They only cover the chest/cleavage area, so you’re not in layers. 

I discovered them last summer and they were wonderful.

Your daughter might be interested in them. 

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Garga said:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JK039ZO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The link is to a set of 3 fake cami’s. It gets hot here in the summer and I like to wear lightweight dresses, but they’re always cut soooo low. I am very uncomfortable with showing cleavage.  

If I want to wear summer dresses (and certain shirts) I have to wear a cami or tshirt under them. But in the summer, that means I’m now wearing layers and it’s much too hot.

The link is to little triangles of fabric that snap onto your bra straps. They only cover the chest/cleavage area, so you’re not in layers. 

I discovered them last summer and they were wonderful.

Your daughter might be interested in them. 

Whoops! Just noticed that the link I gave you is out of stock. Search for mock camisoles and you’ll find the same kind of product.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Ok, now I have to ask which state because in TX women go walking and are wearing perfume, body spray that you can smell when you walk by while even in athletic clothes. I agree the combination is a little funky but I prefer that over straight BO. The older women are almost always wearing perfume and in a grocery store, full face makeup and perfume. Now it is masks and they have the most fashionable ones like leopard print or matched with their clothes. No surgical masks for them. I always wear perfume. It is part of my dress, no make up but perfume. Never heard of a company that does that here.

Tell me about it. I have a teen boy who is going on 14. We are having conversations about showers, BO and hygiene, repeatedly and frequently which are necessary now.

NJ.  We even have doctors offices with signs saying no perfume.  Probably due to people soaking themselves in it.   The older ladies here can use a bottle.  I avoid the grocery stores during senior time.  While it is not all over the state, I fully support the asking of no perfume.  

He is in good company. I fight this battle with my 18 year old. We have so many young ones at work who just stink.   I really don’t know how they don’t smell it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Ok, now I have to ask which state because in TX women go walking and are wearing perfume, body spray that you can smell when you walk by while even in athletic clothes.

59 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

NJ.  We even have doctors offices with signs saying no perfume.   

California too. There are reminders in many places (including retail) that there are people who are allergic to perfume.

• Like 1