Menu

What do you use to clean your glass top stove?

math teacher

I use a razor to get the hard messes off, and for less serious gunk, some kind of glass stovetop cleaner that I can’t remember the name of. You don’t want it anyway. It doesn’t work very well.  I have some Barkeeper ‘s Friend that I will try next time, though. I never thought of trying that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I use Weiman for stubborn stuff, but never knew I could use Bar Keeper's friend.  That is safe?  I had no idea.

I'm curious, too. I would think it could scratch. That's why I use the old Bon Ami. I know Bar Keepers Friend makes a cooktop specific cleaner--I think it's similar to Weiman.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had one house that had a burned on spot I couldn’t clean until I found a scotch brite pad for glass cooktops. I’d spent hours trying to get that crud off, and it popped off with less than 10 minutes of scrubbing with that scotch pad. I think I found it at Target, but I’ve since seen them on Amazon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chlorox soft scrub first to get all the solid matter off, then regular windex to get the streak marks off.  Every once in a blue moon when I melt something...

2 hours ago, Katy said:

We had one house that had a burned on spot I couldn’t clean until I found a scotch brite pad for glass cooktops. I’d spent hours trying to get that crud off, and it popped off with less than 10 minutes of scrubbing with that scotch pad. I think I found it at Target, but I’ve since seen them on Amazon. 

... one of those puppies.

When we moved into this house ~20 years ago my city-bred husband wanted to swap it out for gas, but our town doesn't *have* gas lines so it would have involved substantial infrastructure investment... and I got used to how it cooks... and I've come to love how much easier it is to clean than any other kind of stove I've ever had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PeppermintPattie said:

I have only used Barkeeper's Friend - hasn't scratched yet. 🙂

(Eta: I only use the powder BF. I didn't like the liquid as much.)

I also use powder - did not know there was a liquid  

I don’t know if different tops are different, but no scratching problems for me   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

and I've come to love how much easier it is to clean than any other kind of stove I've ever had.

Truth. I've never had a gas stove, but I HATED the electric coil ones because I never, ever felt like I was truly getting them clean. Compared to that, It is so very easy to clean a glass top, and by golly you know it's clean. There's no way I could go back.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

A drop of Dawn dish detergent and a rag takes care of most things. If it's really messy or something is burnt on I scrap lightly with a razor blade, and then follow up with Weiman glass cook top cleaner. This is the kit I have, and it is truly fabulous. It's like Soft Scrub, not at all like Windex.

This. Same kit. The razor was life changing for me. I wish I would taken before & after pictures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I generally just clean it with my usual Mrs. Meyers all purpose cleaner. Razor for stubborn spots and occasionally the cream glass top cleaner, but mostly just the same method as my countertops.

I do have a couple of permanent scuffs on one particular burner, but that’s from me being careless with cast iron. 😕 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Eek....we are getting a glass top stove delivered today.  You can't just clean it with soap and a sponge?  Is there anything else I need to know about handling it?  I have never had one before.

Yes, you can do most of your cleaning with soap and a sponge. But if you get burnt or stuck on stuff you might need a razor blade, or one of the special cook top cleaners like BK Friend, Weiman or Cerama Bryte. Most groceries stores carry one or all of those. We moved here 4.5 years ago and I got acquainted with the glass top range. I still have about half of my original bottle of Weiman cleaner. So obviously I don't need/use a lot of it. Other than that -- just be careful with cast iron or other heavy cookware. Lift, don't slide.

This kit shows everything most people are talking about  -- A cream cleaner, razor blade and scrubby sponge. You don't have to use those specific ones, though.

Glass cook tops are really great overall.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Eek....we are getting a glass top stove delivered today.  You can't just clean it with soap and a sponge?  Is there anything else I need to know about handling it?  I have never had one before.

42 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I am not sure I know what you are talking about.  Why can't I just use a scrubber sponge?

41 minutes ago, Ditto said:

What is this?

I am beginning to feel like I bought a princess stove with all the special care it seems like it will need.  Do I need to give it a kiss and thank it for its service each day?

Meh. I only use the cream (wherever your store keeps kitchen cleaner) once in a while because everyone says I should. 

Most stuff comes off plenty easy, but the occasional burned on stubborn spot is unavoidable and won’t necessarily come off with a plastic scrubber. That’s what the razor is for. 
And be gentle with heavy stuff!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I am not sure I know what you are talking about.  Why can't I just use a scrubber sponge?

Look at your stove instruction manual or find one online.  Or nowadays maybe there are demos on YouTube 

The title asks how we clean ours and I answered how I clean mine. 

a one sided razor blade in a holder such as is used for removing paint from window glass, can be used similarly: held at an angle almost flat to the glass stove top. Often this will remove (slice off) a dried / cooked on spill much like it will remove a dried paint spill from a window - often cleanly without residue. Sometimes more scrubbing is needed.
Some types of scrubber sponges were approved for my stove, some can possibly scratch the glass — I usually use paper towel and BarKeeperFriend (oxalis acid) powder wetted, rather than a scrub sponge

i have had two glass tops in my life and their tops were not identical nor cleaning identical, so best check your instructions 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ditto said:

It’s actually the easiest stove to clean of my life once getting on to it. 

Werxrite RetraGuard Razor Blade Scraper Induction Hob Glass Cooktop Stovetop & Other Hard Surface Cleaning Scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BQHYLJJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_.hn4FbJY72109

you probably need a video if you haven’t ever done something similar like used it for paint on window

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ditto said:

You can, but it won't look perfect.  Sponges leave streaks, and the scrubby side can scratch it.  Most manufacturers will tell you to wipe off solids then use a razor blade (carefully) to scrape up burnt on gunk, and use a glass stove cleaner (it's a bit like soft scrub without the noxious fumes) to polish.  Sometimes you buy a house with burnt-on gunk you can't identify, or you come home to find your DH & kids boiled over macaroni and left it to burn on.  When the scrub and the razor can't get it, go to Target and get a scotch brite pad made for glass stove tops.  It gets the burnt on crud off without scraping the paint.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the help everyone.  Stove was delivered and is very nice.  It came with a small bottle Weiman cleaner (think i am spelling that correctly).   Gosh it is so much nicer than the coil stove that came with our house.  I am very excited to use it tomorrow.  It's a good time of year to get a new stove, tons of holiday cooking!

• Like 4