Menu

and my quaranteam partner quit on me

ktgrok

Ugh. 

We had ONE meet up. It was fantastic. Kids had fun, we were at a park but avoided the playground, just did a nature walk, found a picnic bench that we cleaned and sat at, kids played in the dirt, etc. We were making plans for weekly meet ups. 

And then she decided to rejoin her crossfit gym. 

Now, I DO appreciate that she was up front and told me. But darn it! How did she go from panicking if someone passed us on the nature trail to close to going back to cross fit, with someone who will not be wearing a mask? 

Now I have to break it to my kids. I was having a good day, and now this. Yuck. 

• Sad 22

She's going back because she broke two bones in her leg back in the spring, and has finished physical therapy but still feels weak, and needs to strengthen it. 

I am not sure how this guy is getting away with no masking, actually. 

Legally now, in my county and hers, masks are required indoors. 

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

And it will be a semi private session, just her and her mom and the trainer. But still....if he's not masking, and around other clients all week, that's a no for me. Sigh. 

Did she say they will be inside and not masking?  Several places by me are doing cross fit outside.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

She's going back because she broke two bones in her leg back in the spring, and has finished physical therapy but still feels weak, and needs to strengthen it. 

I am not sure how this guy is getting away with no masking, actually. 

Legally now, in my county and hers, masks are required indoors. 

a lot of places that have indoor mask requirements do not have them for exercise related activities if social distancing is maintained.  For example, our martial arts studio requires them to be on unless you are in class in your designated square.  We aren't going back yet because I'm not willing to risk it since dh can teach the kids better than the studio can.  But it isn't surprising that gyms are masks off while working out if socially distanced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

a lot of places that have indoor mask requirements do not have them for exercise related activities if social distancing is maintained.  For example, our martial arts studio requires them to be on unless you are in class in your designated square.  We aren't going back yet because I'm not willing to risk it since dh can teach the kids better than the studio can.  But it isn't surprising that gyms are masks off while working out if socially distanced.

Our mandate is pretty strict - all people over age 2 required to mask indoors. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Our state had been like bold

But Ours switched to everyone inside gym must mask because not  masking wasn’t working out well

21 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Since she was so concerned about the walk is she approachable to questions about her going ot the gym?   I would not assume anything.  Ask her if it's outside and/or he's standing far away when training.  

I did say that, and she said she honesty didn't think it through when she signed up -  in her head it was just him and her mom (and her mom had been staying home)....but then she realized he sees other people all week, also not masked. But she already paid. She's going to go tomorrow and see how it is set up - how close they are, ventilation, outdoors, what. So, we shall see. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm so sorry, Katie -- that is so disappointing! And even if she goes to the gym and finds out that it's not safe, you still won't want to see her for a while, because she may be exposed while she is checking it out. 

I hope she changes her mind between now and then, and is able to get a refund!

I bet it was just quarantine fatigue. 

DH's company did really good, I only heard about one positive person (in many factories).  Then in the last couple weeks there have been a handful more.  HR sent in the mail a flyer begging people not to give in to quarantine fatigue because all of these people had gotten tired of it and caught it at some sort of party or bar, and then spread it at work before they had symptoms. They offered a few free online therapy appointments for anyone so sick of this they needed to talk about it.

2 minutes ago, Katy said:

I bet it was just quarantine fatigue. 

DH's company did really good, I only heard about one positive person (in many factories).  Then in the last couple weeks there have been a handful more.  HR sent in the mail a flyer begging people not to give in to quarantine fatigue because all of these people had gotten tired of it and caught it at some sort of party or bar, and then spread it at work before they had symptoms. They offered a few free online therapy appointments for anyone so sick of this they needed to talk about it.

Well, and she really wants to get her strength back - she was a huge cross fit person before she fell and hurt her leg (trying out for roller derby!). In her head it was private lessons, and only later did she realize the full exposure risk. But, we shall see. 

I told my kids...my 7 yr old son cried. And then out of mom guilt I told him I'd let him teach me how to play minecraft. ugh, what was I thinking!

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

And it will be a semi private session, just her and her mom and the trainer. But still....if he's not masking, and around other clients all week, that's a no for me. Sigh. 

Will he not be masking?  Here the people working out can take off their masks, but the coaches/trainers are masked. Surely she could say she'd be more comfortable with the trainer in a mask, even if the state doesn't have a mandate? 

I am sorry you lost your quaranteam buddy! 😞

Edited by Matryoshka

9 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Will he not be masking?  Here the people working out can take off their masks, but the coaches/trainers are masked. Surely she could say she'd be more comfortable with the trainer in a mask, even if the state doesn't have a mandate? 

I am sorry you lost your quaranteam buddy! 😞

She's going to talk to him in person tomorrow, so we will see. 

31 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Well, and she really wants to get her strength back - she was a huge cross fit person before she fell and hurt her leg (trying out for roller derby!). In her head it was private lessons, and only later did she realize the full exposure risk. But, we shall see. 

I told my kids...my 7 yr old son cried. And then out of mom guilt I told him I'd let him teach me how to play minecraft. ugh, what was I thinking!

Oh dear !

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

It's not terrible. I'm playing Minecraft right now, lol.  Plus do you have anyone that your 7 year old can play Minecraft with online?  You can get a Realms account and they can meet up online.  That and Dungeons and Dragons is how my 14 year olds are staying in touch with friends. 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Have not heard from her yet as to how things went. I did try minecraft. It makes me very disoriented! Especially when there were four of us playing at once on one split screen - gave me motion sickness almost. 

I can't play Minecraft.  My eyes never seem to focus properly.

12 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Well, CrossFit is kind of cult like so once she goes back, you’ve probably lost her...

Pretty much. This is the ONLY thing I can see her making such an exception for. It's really crazy to me, that she's doing it. I'm annoyed, frankly. Stupid cross fit cult. 

For humor, and to cheer me up, I post this video, which I've shared with her before. I'm a yoga girl, she's a cross fit person. 

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

she could go to I dunno, a physical therapist or sports trainer to get help with strengthening an injury... 

She did, but ran out of benefits, from my understanding. Only got so many visits or something? Also, at least the PT I went to it was closer to 10 people in the room at once, all exercising and getting treatments, so not super safe either, although masked I'd assume. 

If she was doing this and her trainer wore a mask I'd feel better about it, but at this point, even if he does for her, we know he isn't with others, and likely not being careful. So...nope.