Menu

Options for Covid testing if you have no symptoms

Acadie

Any ideas for getting Covid testing if you don't have symptoms? I'm in Ohio, and this is to go help my parents, who are in their late 80s, and whose state just instituted a 2-week quarantine for visitors who don't have documentation of a negative Covid test, with $500/day fines for violations. It may be the only time dh and I see them this year, and we need to help them sort out some health and legal issues. Accommodations are not an issue (we have separate accommodations and will see them outdoors and masked) but I do need to run some errands for them that can't be done by delivery service and handle some legal stuff in person.

We need to be tested July 30 to stick with our original travel dates and accommodations, and turnaround time matters (any more than 6-7 days for results won't help). Although Ohio did open up testing criteria for a short time, it's now quite restricted again. The only option I've found so far is a pop-up center 2 hours away on a day dh needs to work 😞

Probably I should say upfront that I'm not looking for reasons why we shouldn't make the trip, or problem-solving on how to handle everything remotely. I'll spare you the details but we've worked it out so we won't even be using public restrooms on the drive, just getting gas. 

Commiseration to all those in a similar situation--this really sucks. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Sad 2

I don't know.   Here in Wisconsin they have drive through free testing for everyone over 5 and you don't have to have symptoms.    I have not kept track of where else you can do it

Have you contacted your doctor?

This is part of the problem. We need easy testing access for everyone. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Here in Wisconsin they have drive through free testing for everyone over 5 and you don't have to have symptoms.  

And that's how to handle testing during a pandemic! Kudos to the politicians and public health officials in your state who made it happen.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Pediatrician says the only option for children without symptoms is the pop-up centers I mentioned above (but my girls are both minors and don't actually need to be tested to comply with the regulation).

The primary care practice dh and I go to is tied in with a large health system, and their website says no testing without symptoms, even if you have a doctor's order. I'll call the practice tomorrow morning when the office opens to see if they have any other suggestions. Private urgent care center hasn't returned my call, but their website lists testing criteria only for those with symptoms. CVS says no testing without symptoms. 

I'm glad Ohio's governor finally instituted a statewide mask mandate, but we are up the creek without a paddle in terms of testing.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

Is testing in your parents' state once you arrive an option?  I have known people who have travelled and been able to get a test at their destination with results within the day.  

I haven't had luck finding options that don't require residency. Their state (MA) had a big uptick in testing after July 4, and also when Maine required visitors from MA to either quarantine or get tested. I could make some phone calls, though--that's a great idea, thank you!

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

😞

I'll spare you the details but we've worked it out so we won't even be using public restrooms on the drive, just getting gas. 

Could you let me know your plans on this either here or by pm?  We have to make a very long drive (18 hours each way) to move our dd into the dorm and I have no idea how to handle restrooms.  

BTW, I'm in OH too with no testing available anywhere near us.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Gosh, I am sorry you have having such a problem finding a testing site here in Ohio.  We haven't had any problem finding testing, with no symptoms.  What part of Ohio are you in?

Northeast Ohio. 

Thank you, that's where I found the pop-up center 2 hours from us. Cincinnati has pop-up testing daily for the coming week, but nothing scheduled in Cleveland! That makes no sense--our county is in the red zone. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Could you let me know your plans on this either here or by pm?  We have to make a very long drive (18 hours each way) to move our dd into the dorm and I have no idea how to handle restrooms.  

Lol, sure. My teens aren't thrilled about it, but I bought the disposable cardboard PeeBuddy funnels, which make it easy for women to pee standing up like men, without pulling your drawers all the way down. We'll practice in the shower before we go. 

And a Green Elephant folding commode to be used only when necessary, with a plastic bag for disposal. We'll set it up on the ground by an open car door with a sheet thrown over for privacy. There are little outhouse-shaped tents you can buy but I think jerry-rigging will be adequate. 

Water, soap and paper towels in the car for washing up.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

I'm in Boston and if you are coming to this area (and yes, you will have to fill out the form and follow the rules) we have several sites throughout the city that you can do walk up or drive through testing.  If it is relevant to you, PM me and I'll get you the info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't know.   Here in Wisconsin they have drive through free testing for everyone over 5 and you don't have to have symptoms.    I have not kept track of where else you can do it

This is part of the problem. We need easy testing access for everyone. 

Same in California. 

OP- have you visited your county health department website?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

There are places that will mail a test to you. Have you checked those & how fast you can get results?

Thank you! I found this and my head started spinning--we'd need to verify which labs if any will test without symptoms and how long the wait would be for results, because they prioritize health care workers and at-risk people with symptoms. Sounds like many tests need to be sent back the day they arrive, and we need to test within 72 hours of arrival in MA.

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/coronavirus-at-home-tests/

Maybe we could consider having me drive to the pop-up center and dh test at home. I could start the trip without him if necessary and have him follow in another car later, which isn't great environmentally but might be a helpful option depending how things work out.

Edited by Acadie

The federal official in charge of testing acknowledged today that testing is still an issue in parts of the country and that not everyone who wants a test can get one. He specifically used clearance for travel as a situation where someone may not be able to get tested. In my state, they’ve tightened guidelines again on who can get tested and depending on the lab used and priority level, results can take up to two weeks. Our state lab currently has one of the quickest turnaround times, but of course they are very restrictive about which tests go there. Quest Diagnostics is a big provider of testing here and supposedly the big outbreaks in places like Florida and Texas are slowing their turnaround times here.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'm in Boston and if you are coming to this area (and yes, you will have to fill out the form and follow the rules) we have several sites throughout the city that you can do walk up or drive through testing.  If it is relevant to you, PM me and I'll get you the info.

Any idea if you need to be a resident? Everything I've read about the drive through sites says they're for MA residents. Whether they hold you to that if you show up in line, I don't know. My guess is out-of-staters who are ill might have more access?

Just as a matter of policy it seems having lots of out-of-state visitors trying to access testing in MA would decrease availability of tests and increase wait times for MA residents. Yet another reason we need coherent federal policy.... 

47 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Before we had drive up  and while the big hospital system was only doing symptomatic their was a small private run immediate care place where you could test.  Have you looked for something like that?

I found one near me, and left a message. Will try them tomorrow, and I'm hoping our primary care might have other suggestions for private urgent care clinics that offer testing.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Do you have a CVS near you?  Quite a few of them are testing without symptoms.  Give each one a call to check. But beware for testing anywhere-  there is a back up and people I know have been up to 15 days before getting results. 

I think you're right I'd need to call each one. The local ones I checked online said no testing without symptoms, but if there's a day when they don't book all slots or if we go further from home we might find something.

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Here in Wisconsin they have drive through free testing for everyone over 5 and you don't have to have symptoms.    

Same in TN. Counties have set up testing centers, but CVS and many other pharmacies have drive through testing. All free for anyone. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

Lol, sure. My teens aren't thrilled about it, but I bought the disposable cardboard PeeBuddy funnels, which make it easy for women to pee standing up like men, without pulling your drawers all the way down. We'll practice in the shower before we go. 

And a Green Elephant folding commode to be used only when necessary, with a plastic bag for disposal. We'll set it up on the ground by an open car door with a sheet thrown over for privacy. There are little outhouse-shaped tents you can buy but I think jerry-rigging will be adequate. 

Water, soap and paper towels in the car for washing up.

Thank you!  I'm in NE Ohio, too!  

I was looking at the funnels recently, but hesitant to buy them.  Please share how they work if you practice in the shower before you go (that's a great idea).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I was looking at the funnels recently, but hesitant to buy them.  Please share how they work if you practice in the shower before you go (that's a great idea).

I'll be sure to share my review with you, lol!

It cracks me up how horrified my girls are about the whole thing, because they're experienced back country campers. But I've decided to embrace my role as their horrifying mom. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Acadie said:

Any idea if you need to be a resident? Everything I've read about the drive through sites says they're for MA residents. Whether they hold you to that if you show up in line, I don't know. My guess is out-of-staters who are ill might have more access?

Just as a matter of policy it seems having lots of out-of-state visitors trying to access testing in MA would decrease availability of tests and increase wait times for MA residents. Yet another reason we need coherent federal policy.... 

I'll check and let you know. I don't think so as they are advertising to the undocumented population too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'll check and let you know. I don't think so as they are advertising to the undocumented population too.

Here's the general information.  I have asked on FB if you need to be a MA resident and will let you know the answer.

EBNHC is now providing COVID-19 testing six days a week at our 164 Orleans Street parking lot in East Boston. Walk-thru and drive-thru options. *Pre-registration required: Call 617-569-5800.* You do not need to have symptoms to get tested. Testing is free to the patient. Please share with others who may need this information. Thank you!

A positive review from the field: thank you, Todd!
EBNHC is providing walk-thru COVID-19 testing at the Jackson Mann Community Center, 500 Cambridge Street in Allston, Tuesdays thru Saturdays from July 21 thru August 1. To avoid waiting in line, pre-register by calling 617-568-4500. (If you have trouble getting through, call 617-569-5800.)
This location is accessible by public transit on the 57, 66, and 64 bus lines. Limited patient parking available on Islington Street on a first-come, first-served basis. You do not need to have symptoms to get tested. Testing is free to the patient.
Testing is also available through at 495 Western Avenue in Brighton (to make an appointment at Charles River call 617-783-0500). Please share with others who may need this information.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Here's the general information.  I have asked on FB if you need to be a MA resident and will let you know the answer.

EBNHC is now providing COVID-19 testing six days a week at our 164 Orleans Street parking lot in East Boston. Walk-thru and drive-thru options. *Pre-registration required: Call 617-569-5800.* You do not need to have symptoms to get tested. Testing is free to the patient. Please share with others who may need this information. Thank you!

A positive review from the field: thank you, Todd!
EBNHC is providing walk-thru COVID-19 testing at the Jackson Mann Community Center, 500 Cambridge Street in Allston, Tuesdays thru Saturdays from July 21 thru August 1. To avoid waiting in line, pre-register by calling 617-568-4500. (If you have trouble getting through, call 617-569-5800.)
This location is accessible by public transit on the 57, 66, and 64 bus lines. Limited patient parking available on Islington Street on a first-come, first-served basis. You do not need to have symptoms to get tested. Testing is free to the patient.
Testing is also available through at 495 Western Avenue in Brighton (to make an appointment at Charles River call 617-783-0500). Please share with others who may need this information.

This is so kind of you, Yael--thanks so much!

10 hours ago, Acadie said:

a 2-week quarantine for visitors who don't have documentation of a negative Covid test, with $500/day fines for violations.

Do you have a link on this? Anyone or just the restricted states? I thought it was not being enforced. 

Oh it's not Ohio but the state you're going to...

Edited by PeterPan

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

This is so kind of you, Yael--thanks so much!

I checked and the Allston site is better run AND they get the results in a day or so AND they said you don't have to be a resident of Boston. Now I don't know if that means they'll take you if you're from out of state but I'd call and ask. If they don't there are urgent care that will do it without a doctor's note but I don't know about payment.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Acadie said:

I think you're right I'd need to call each one. The local ones I checked online said no testing without symptoms, but if there's a day when they don't book all slots or if we go further from home we might find something.

CVS in brown county no testing without symptoms

• Like 1

11 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I checked and the Allston site is better run AND they get the results in a day or so AND they said you don't have to be a resident of Boston. Now I don't know if that means they'll take you if you're from out of state but I'd call and ask. If they don't there are urgent care that will do it without a doctor's note but I don't know about payment.

@Acadie  You can come and get tested.  No requirement to be an in-state resident.  They messaged me that information.

• Thanks 1