Menu

Do you have a Covid plan for if/when you get it?

J-rap

I've been thinking about this recently, because I assume that as it goes deeper, even with all the precautions, there's a good chance that I'll get it eventually.

I haven't thought it all out yet...  We're empty-nesters, and I help my dh with a lot of things since he's disabled and is unable to drive.  I'm very healthy and fit so assume I wouldn't be too sick.  And, my dh could probably fix me oatmeal and toast!  😄   We'd plan to sleep in separate rooms and use different bathrooms.  I'm sure my dh would get it too then, but it would be nice if we could stagger it just a bit, so that I could be of more help to him when he gets it (and it will most likely be harder for him).   I'd definitely be the first one to get it though, since I'm the errand runner and am the one who goes out.   We have two dd's that live close by.  One works in health care and often stays with us part-time, but she'd need to avoid exposure due to her job so shouldn't be here.   But I imagine our other dd (who works at home now) would deliver food to us, pick up laundry, etc.   I'm sure my dh's siblings could get involved, but they're all much older than dh so probably considered higher-risk.  My sister lives nearby too, but the two of us take turns checking in on our elderly dad, so she'd have to stay away from me to keep caring for my dad.  

We do have lots of family members who would step in and even fly home if we needed serious help, but I'm assuming it would be just something to get through for a couple weeks...  

Anyway, just slowly thinking through how we'd deal with this, as time goes on, and wondering what others are planning.  I know that some of you have had it already, too.

5 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Nope, we have eight people with a single bathroom. If one gets it we all do, and just would ask some friends to drop groceries on the porch and quarantine entirely until five days after the last person showed any active symptoms. That’s what we did the last time we suspected exposure back in early March.

We used to be seven people with a single bathroom, so I know those days well!  

I just assume if one of us has it, we all do. Oldest had a stomach bug this week and it went through my mind it could be Covid but I didn’t distance him from the rest of us. He’s feeling better now. He’s the one we’d probably get it from though as he does get together with his friend group regularly. I just don’t think the rest of could avoid it since we hang out so much. If one of us did get it, we would just continue to hang out as usual but wouldn’t go out at all.

• Like 2

We are lucky to have a self-contained in-law apartment set-up with a small kitchen, where we'd install the positive person and do at-a-distance check-ins and meal delivery.  I have a quarantine bag of oximeter/thermometer/OTC flu medicine ready to go, along with a shelf-stable box of soup, juices, instant oatmeal, applesauce, dried fruit and nuts, PB and nutella and shelf-stable bread & tortillas, and I forget what else.

The kids and I are all reasonably healthy, but I'd like to keep my husband protected if possible.  In any event, better to spread it out than have everyone sick at the same time.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

We are lucky to have a self-contained in-law apartment set-up with a small kitchen, where we'd install the positive person and do at-a-distance check-ins and meal delivery.  I have a quarantine bag of oximeter/thermometer/OTC flu medicine ready to go, along with a shelf-stable box of soup, juices, instant oatmeal, applesauce, dried fruit and nuts, PB and nutella and shelf-stable bread & tortillas, and I forget what else.

The kids and I are all reasonably healthy, but I'd like to keep my husband protected if possible.  In any event, better to spread it out than have everyone sick at the same time.

That's a nice set-up!   Instant food is a great idea too.  I should probably get more of that.   And OTC flu meds.

• Like 2

It is something I can't plan for.  It or when it happens it could play out in so many ways that I couldn't prepare for every scenario.  If someone needed to go to the hospital then that is that. Anything less than that is having groceries delivered, staying home, and the healthy people taking care of the sick.  There are 4 adults in our house and 2 kids who can do A LOT when they need to.  So, unless we all get really sick, we'll be fine enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

It is something I can't plan for.  It or when it happens it could play out in so many ways that I couldn't prepare for every scenario.  If someone needed to go to the hospital then that is that. Anything less than that is having groceries delivered, staying home, and the healthy people taking care of the sick.  There are 4 adults in our house and 2 kids who can do A LOT when they need to.  So, unless we all get really sick, we'll be fine enough.

Yeah, I think you've got something there.  You can only plan for so much, because no one really knows how it will play out.

• Like 1

I know two families so far who have managed to contain the illness to one member.  That person was quarantined in the master with their own bathroom.  It gives me a little hope that if you can keep the rest of the family from breathing the covid-saturated air all the time that maybe they won't get it.  In one case, the husband was an asymptomatic carrier, but the teens have remained healthy.  The mom has been sick for over a month and nobody has starved, so that's encouraging.

I managed to score a freezer, so if I get sick they'd survive on take-out, convenience foods, and whatever weirdness Dh decides to cook up.  We've done nothing but occasional grocery trips for months, so we're hoping that becoming hermits keeps us all alive and healthy.

• Like 4

Nope. No real plan. Common cough/cold meds on hand. Already had a blood pressure cuff and pulse ox. Next door neighbor is an EMT if we need a quick assesment on going to ER. We always have a stocked pantry. I have a bit more paper goods than usual in case we need less chores for a bit. We are currently 4 people in a 3bed/bath house, so space isn't an issue, but I figure we will all get it once one of us does.  We live in a city so grocery/meal delivery won't be a problem. Dh can go live on a friend's sail boat if I get sick and he doesn't. DD13 can go live with her bio-dad if needed. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Not really. I keep us as well stocked as I can. We have OTC meds for treating symptoms, and the medical equipment for monitoring. DH and I have our wills and other end-of-life paperwork in order, including hard copies of a document with all accounts, contact info, passwords, etc. But I haven't done any planning beyond that. We have enough dealing with DH's daily health issues; I don't have much bandwidth most days to spare for what ifs. But we're an all adult household (me, DH, DS21) and we have enough room to isolate whoever's sick. It's easier for us since no young kids are involved. DS is on the spectrum and not the most pro-active young adult, but is the type who generally steps up to the plate and is a good pinch hitter when needed. With some verbal direction I feel sure he'd be able to hold the fort if DH and I got really bad or were in the hospital (which would almost certainly happen if DH got it). And my brother and SIL are close by, and would be do whatever we needed.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

We don’t have a way to isolate anyone in our house, though I could set up a makeshift guest bedroom in case it was me or DH. I bought all kinds of flu meds last February and the pantry and freezer are stocked, but I should go over how to order takeout and delivery with DS just in case. 

We have a will that we need to update soon before DS turns 18. FIL is currently listed as the person to deal with the financials since he was an accountant, but I am no longer comfortable with him or MIL having a role at all. Both have gone off the deep end with conspiracy theories and clearly aren’t able to handle reality, so it’s essential we find someone else who can help DS sort through it all if needed. 

I'm not sure what else we can really prepare for. There simply aren’t any assumptions that can be made about this virus, who will get sick and who might not, how tragic or mild it might be, or for how long an individual or family might be affected.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 3

By the time I'd know I had it, everyone in our house would have already been exposed.  And I already work from home & rarely go anywhere around people.  So my plan is, just keep doing what I'm doing.

I would keep the kids home from sports etc. for a couple weeks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

This is about the same as what I plan to do if one of us (inside our household) tests positive. Pretty much had almost a dry run when dd returned home from France and my policy was to pretend she was positive. 

I don’t really have a well-planned package of shelf-stable foods; it would be a good idea to prepare one. I remember back in March or so, it was discussed on here having a hospital go bag because if we get sick, the decision to go to the hospital could come quickly and it’s best to be prepared. 

What I am mulling over, now that my not-at-home son is waiting on a test due to an exposure, is what we do in that case. If either of my YAs get sick at their apartments, I don’t really know what I should do. If their bf/gfs also get sick, I don’t know if I should help or just keep away so I don’t get sick. But we all know how hard it is as a mom to have a sick kid away from home...how do we navigate that with a highly contagious illness that could have much graver consequences for us than for them? 

• Like 4

I had a plan, but I’m not exactly married to it anymore. With 3 people working outside of the house and hopes of eventually bringing in two more kids, it’s a pretty fluid situation.  We can shuffle up sleeping arrangements and designate a sick and well bathroom as risk reduction methods, but I’m not going to go all movie-style containment.

We made it through H1N1 with 2 adults and 4 young children meal/chores/etc-wise (bare minimums, but that’s okay), I think the odds of getting by okay (logistically) are in our favor with 2 parents and fairly to very independent, generally healthy kids.

I’m more worried about providing accurate contact tracing information because I still find myself doing some things without thinking about them, like giving an extra kid a ride, unmasked. 

• Like 1

No one else has mentioned this, so I'll add it to the thread.   I have the names and phone numbers of two local medical doctors who are treating COVID in their offices.  (I'm working on our own docs, and it should get easier since there is a lot of new info on several common meds that are effective.)   Husband and I will both go see the doc if one of us gets sick.  (It will almost certainly be me first, because I'm the one out working and exposed to people.)   I will do my best to get hubby prophylactic treatment because he has no margin for losing function.

We do have an in-home plan, but much of it is unique to us.  One item that is not unique is that I made some kick-ass chicken soup with a free-range chicken, and it's in the freezer if needed. I made it with lemon, cayenne pepper, and rice, since rice is a natural if one is trying to overcome the runs.  I'll probably stir in some tumeric into mine, but hubby doesn't care for spices.  He doesn't mind capsules, though. 

• Like 3

No matter how much we plan, I'm sure once we get it the plans will change.  We are a family of 8, so when sickness comes it lasts a while as it works it's way through the family.   I don't plan to isolate anyone unless they have been just exposed bc I assume that once they have symptoms,  weve all been exposed.  Instead I've got options-

Grocery pickup- I have a list of people who could go and pick up for me and deliver to my house if necessary.  I also bought up extra canned fruit so we wont have to get as often.  If we had to got 2-3 weeks without any groceries we could.

Medicine- my normal stock, being sure to keep cold meds enough for us all.  I just bought the pulse oximeter this week.

Issues that I'm expecting or thinking could happen- if DH or I had to be hospitalized,  17 and 15 year olds would have to manage while we are gone- no calling grandparents for help!  If DD17 gets it, she may need to drop a class or two if shes too sick to do school (hoping not!!!).  If MiL gets it, but we haven't yet, one of us will be designated caretaker- meals taken to her 2x daily, temps and pulse ox taken and recorded by us, through the glass window so that we could have records if she gets worse.  If she needed round the clock, one of us there- we cross that bridge if we need to- which could include moving her into our house for a bit or one of us staying the night with her and just accepting the risk.  Most likely that would be after a hospitalization, so possibly not contagious. 

Looking at my family, my parents are 60, MiL 70, my grandparents 80s, plus an uncle in 80s we are responsible for- every single one has risk factors besides just age including heart issues, immune compromised, 2 have chest congestion or breathing issues.   I cannot imagine that all 6 will come out okay, we are going to have a rough year and I'm mentally bracing for it.  I hope it works out better than I expect.  

I keep telling myself that this year my big kids will learn  what it means to learn on family, bc there are going to be people who need us, and we will need them.  This year will be full of heartache, but also lessons on being helpful, caring, and appreciative of what we have.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2020 at 9:25 AM, Quill said:

This is about the same as what I plan to do if one of us (inside our household) tests positive. Pretty much had almost a dry run when dd returned home from France and my policy was to pretend she was positive. 

I don’t really have a well-planned package of shelf-stable foods; it would be a good idea to prepare one. I remember back in March or so, it was discussed on here having a hospital go bag because if we get sick, the decision to go to the hospital could come quickly and it’s best to be prepared. 

What I am mulling over, now that my not-at-home son is waiting on a test due to an exposure, is what we do in that case. If either of my YAs get sick at their apartments, I don’t really know what I should do. If their bf/gfs also get sick, I don’t know if I should help or just keep away so I don’t get sick. But we all know how hard it is as a mom to have a sick kid away from home...how do we navigate that with a highly contagious illness that could have much graver consequences for us than for them? 

Would your older kids be receptive if you created boxes for them like @Pam in CT has prepared? Flu meds, shelf stable ingredients and treats, gatorade, etc? Either gift the boxes now for their own preparedness, or have them ready in case they (or their partners) do get sick you can leave them on their porch or whatever. Being mom, I’d be tempted to leave extra treats like a new game or book or movie in the boxes as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

re testing and contact tracing

On July 19, 2020 at 10:56 AM, The Accidental Coach said:

I have a question...Does the plan automatically assume being tested and complying with contract tracing?

Here, there are now enough tests and test sites that if any family member contracted we'd all get tested immediately and could expect results back within 24 hours.

But that isn't true everywhere and certainly wasn't true here back in March and April when we were getting hammered.  Back then the plan was that the sick person would go into hard isolation and the rest of the household would go into 14 day quarantine.

We would certainly do our best to comply with contact tracing.  We are not currently keeping truly systematic track of everyone we're coming in contact with, though we're not coming in contact with very many (none without masks and distance) and could construct a reasonable list by just referring back to the calendar of what we did on what day.  But to the extent I came within 6' of a stranger in the curbside pickup line, I wouldn't be able to catch that.

(My mother, who lives in senior independent living, has to write down everyone she came within 10' of every night; both my kids returning to hybrid-option schools will have to do so as well as a condition of return; and one of my nephews will have to agree to use a South Korea-style app on his phone that will track his contact with everyone on campus whether or not he knows them as a condition of return.)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 8:25 AM, Quill said:

1) What would your YA kids expect from you?

Could you do grocery shopping for them and leave it on the doorstep. Maybe leave hot food then call them to pick up? Then you are helping (a LOT!) but not personally in dager of being infected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 12:02 AM, Plum said:

Yes and I'm putting the plan into place. 

I have a kit too. It's a plastic bin that has acetaminophen, Mucinex, Immunity+ packets, electrolyte powder packets, a pulse ox, a blood pressure monitor, a temporal thermometer.

I have 2 HEPA room size air purifiers that can swap out the air in the room in 12 minutes. That's if it's on high and it's loud when it's on high so it's probably more like 15 minutes, but still that's good. He wants to be with us so I have it right next to him. Any particles that make it past his mask will hopefully get sucked into the HEPA. I figure we all have it already since we were hanging out so much when he was pre-symptomatic. We've never been able to keep a cold to ourselves so I don't hold much hope that this will be any different, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious if we don't.

I recommend getting some gel ice packs. We have one for the knee and a bunch of hard ones for lunches. I'd like to be able to swap the soft gel one out since his face hurts more than anything. 

A plastic shower curtain liner and rod would come in handy for dividing a space and being able to clean it easily. 

I had already been stocking up and I'm so glad I got the new fridge and filled it up. We're stocked for awhile and can get anything we run out of delivered. I had some easy oven meals that the kids can make. I also have the number of some local food vendors that make big trays of food commercially and started to sell to the public with the shutdown. Huge trays of food we can heat and eat if we want. 

Sadly, we finished updating our wills but didn't get them signed and notarized. If things really take a turn for the worst, I hope the notary at the hospital will take care of it. 

I was hoping to have their lesson plans all done, but I'm not quite there yet. 

It sounds like you've thought through this carefully.  I'm sorry, I couldn't quite figure out who maybe has had it in your household already?  A ds?  You probably talked about it somewhere else and I missed it!  You have a lot of good ideas.  (Also, sorry I'm slow to respond - (I've been mostly off-line for a few days.)

On 7/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, Pawz4me said:

Not really. I keep us as well stocked as I can. We have OTC meds for treating symptoms, and the medical equipment for monitoring. DH and I have our wills and other end-of-life paperwork in order, including hard copies of a document with all accounts, contact info, passwords, etc. But I haven't done any planning beyond that. We have enough dealing with DH's daily health issues; I don't have much bandwidth most days to spare for what ifs. But we're an all adult household (me, DH, DS21) and we have enough room to isolate whoever's sick. It's easier for us since no young kids are involved. DS is on the spectrum and not the most pro-active young adult, but is the type who generally steps up to the plate and is a good pinch hitter when needed. With some verbal direction I feel sure he'd be able to hold the fort if DH and I got really bad or were in the hospital (which would almost certainly happen if DH got it). And my brother and SIL are close by, and would be do whatever we needed.

Your situation sounds very similar to ours!  

• Like 1

Just now, Plum said:

No worries. I’ve mentioned it in threads here and there. Dh tested positive on the 18th since he was showing symptoms. So far no one else in our family is showing symptoms. 

Oh my!  How is he doing?

On 7/19/2020 at 12:17 AM, Tap said:

Nope. No real plan. Common cough/cold meds on hand. Already had a blood pressure cuff and pulse ox. Next door neighbor is an EMT if we need a quick assesment on going to ER. We always have a stocked pantry. I have a bit more paper goods than usual in case we need less chores for a bit. We are currently 4 people in a 3bed/bath house, so space isn't an issue, but I figure we will all get it once one of us does.  We live in a city so grocery/meal delivery won't be a problem. Dh can go live on a friend's sail boat if I get sick and he doesn't. DD13 can go live with her bio-dad if needed. 

Hopefully you don't get it, but staying on a friend's sail boat doesn't sound too bad!

On 7/19/2020 at 6:55 AM, MEmama said:

We don’t have a way to isolate anyone in our house, though I could set up a makeshift guest bedroom in case it was me or DH. I bought all kinds of flu meds last February and the pantry and freezer are stocked, but I should go over how to order takeout and delivery with DS just in case. 

We have a will that we need to update soon before DS turns 18. FIL is currently listed as the person to deal with the financials since he was an accountant, but I am no longer comfortable with him or MIL having a role at all. Both have gone off the deep end with conspiracy theories and clearly aren’t able to handle reality, so it’s essential we find someone else who can help DS sort through it all if needed. 

I'm not sure what else we can really prepare for. There simply aren’t any assumptions that can be made about this virus, who will get sick and who might not, how tragic or mild it might be, or for how long an individual or family might be affected.

I agree...  So many unknowns to know how seriously to plan for this.  (We're in the middle of updating our wills -- not due to Covid, but something we were working on anyway.  I know we should get them done!)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 10:33 AM, BusyMom5 said:

No matter how much we plan, I'm sure once we get it the plans will change.  We are a family of 8, so when sickness comes it lasts a while as it works it's way through the family.   I don't plan to isolate anyone unless they have been just exposed bc I assume that once they have symptoms,  weve all been exposed.  Instead I've got options-

Grocery pickup- I have a list of people who could go and pick up for me and deliver to my house if necessary.  I also bought up extra canned fruit so we wont have to get as often.  If we had to got 2-3 weeks without any groceries we could.

Medicine- my normal stock, being sure to keep cold meds enough for us all.  I just bought the pulse oximeter this week.

Issues that I'm expecting or thinking could happen- if DH or I had to be hospitalized,  17 and 15 year olds would have to manage while we are gone- no calling grandparents for help!  If DD17 gets it, she may need to drop a class or two if shes too sick to do school (hoping not!!!).  If MiL gets it, but we haven't yet, one of us will be designated caretaker- meals taken to her 2x daily, temps and pulse ox taken and recorded by us, through the glass window so that we could have records if she gets worse.  If she needed round the clock, one of us there- we cross that bridge if we need to- which could include moving her into our house for a bit or one of us staying the night with her and just accepting the risk.  Most likely that would be after a hospitalization, so possibly not contagious. 

Looking at my family, my parents are 60, MiL 70, my grandparents 80s, plus an uncle in 80s we are responsible for- every single one has risk factors besides just age including heart issues, immune compromised, 2 have chest congestion or breathing issues.   I cannot imagine that all 6 will come out okay, we are going to have a rough year and I'm mentally bracing for it.  I hope it works out better than I expect.  

I keep telling myself that this year my big kids will learn  what it means to learn on family, bc there are going to be people who need us, and we will need them.  This year will be full of heartache, but also lessons on being helpful, caring, and appreciative of what we have.

Yes, I think people of all ages are learning this, for sure.  And like you, I I think about how we'll do this if my father gets it, although I'm assuming he'll likely be hospitalized (he is very elderly and with a heart condition).  But if by chance he's able to stay in his apartment, someone would need to be there probably 24 hours/day.  I'll guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  There are enough of us around, we'll figure it out.

5 minutes ago, Plum said:

Today is day 6 of symptom onset and he still has mild symptoms. He only had a fever the first night. He had no sense of taste or smell. A little sweet and a little salt is about all he can taste. He hasn’t developed a cough yet but has a tickle in his throat like he may start.  

Those seem to be the standard symptoms...  I'm glad his symptoms are remaining mild, and hope the very best for him!  You too!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 3:37 PM, peacelovehomeschooling said:

In short, no.  We are all high risk and honestly I just can't let my mind go there, it just wouldn't be healthy for me.  Getting through cancer treatment is more than enough to occupy my mind.   

I know what you mean about only having so much space in your brain to deal with stuff.   We're kind of at that place too...  (Although we really have only one high-risk person in our immediate household.)  You take care -- You'll get through this!!