Menu

What to take / do if you might have been exposed to the coronavirus? [1st post]

RootAnn

The following is not medical advice, just opinions by fellow Hive members. Please do your own research & consult your doctor(s).

Isolate the exposed person.  Test 3-5 days post-exposure or after symptoms begin. If symptomatic but negative, continue to isolate. If positive, isolate until feeling better, then retest.

MATH+ protocol has some suggestions: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf

Vitamins/other things to consider adding:

D3 (along with K, A, E, Magnesium... for balance and cofactors) 

zinc and Quercitin 

C

selenium

NAC

B complex

Melatonin 

CoQ10

Extra Niacin if cough

Regular doses of aspirin...NOT megadoses: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/researchers-discover-new-long-term-effects-covid-19/SVDFNTGYONB2TG3CTQMDQNJOQQ/

Epsom salt baths [gives you Magnesium and also reduces inflammation]

Do nitric oxide breathing exercises and get some natural sunshine if safe 

Possibly avoid alcohol, coffee, sugar, refined carbohydrates.

More info in the rest of the thread.

Edited by RootAnn
Updated with some of the suggestions in the thread
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Isolate the exposed person. 

I’d take:

zinc and Quercitin 

C

selenium

NAC

B complex

and do nitric oxide breathing exercises and get some natural sunshine if safe 

this video suggests foods that have the basic desirable nutrients especially likely to help

https://youtu.be/COI3zYHf-nI

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasider too said:

And hopefully someone could repost a link to a pulse O2 device they like? Because that info is buried in some long thread. 

I just got one for $21 on Amazon. There were quite a few choices. I think most are pretty good, just check some reviews.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RootAnn said:

A friend called this morning that one of her clients that was in yesterday tested positive this morning (rapid test) for the coronavirus.

I'm trying to remember all the advice. Mask up & separate in the house from her dh. Vitamins D, Zinc, ... what were the others? She needs to order a pulse oximeter.

She's going to get tested, but I told her to assume she has it if she has symptoms even if her test is negative. What other advice?

[No one was masking. We are in a low level area right now & hardly anyone masks in their day-to-day interactions.]

I had a similar post recently and Pen gave specifics for dosages and stuff too for the supplements.

It was just this past week.  A search on quercetin should bring it up. 

Edited by matrips
  • Thanks 1

Dr Mobeen who Pen recommended interviewed a doctor yesterday who has his own Math+ protocol.  It may be controversial I have no idea but he’s a dr at a Virginia hospital.  The recommendations are all here 

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf

the document has recommendations for hospitalisation etc but also has a section on what to do/take when you first get it and what to look out for in terms of seeking more care.  

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Dr Mobeen who Pen recommended interviewed a doctor yesterday who has his own Math+ protocol.  It may be controversial I have no idea but he’s a dr at a Virginia hospital.  The recommendations are all here 

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf

the document has recommendations for hospitalisation etc but also has a section on what to do/take when you first get it and what to look out for in terms of seeking more care.  

Thank you!

Can anyone tell me the rationale for melatonin?

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Are there any studies that follow the symptoms and patients who followed this?  Just wondering if most people do this at home with covid or if it’s not super common knowledge.  We follow a lot this courtesy of Pen

1 minute ago, matrips said:

Are there any studies that follow the symptoms and patients who followed this?  Just wondering if most people do this at home with covid or if it’s not super common knowledge.  We follow a lot this courtesy of Pen

I don’t think so.  Here’s the interview.  I only watched the first 20 minutes.  He specifically said doing randomised trials is a problem in a pandemic when you have something that you think will save someone’s life.  That did give me pause.  He may be a bit of a crank if you know what I mean.  However he claims they are not having to put people on ventilators using the protocol.  There are studies on bits of what he recommends like the vitamin d etc.  but not on the whole package.  What he says about antivirals in the early stages but switching to anti inflammatories when it progresses to a different stage makes sense with what some of the recent research suggests (that severe disease relates to immune system overreaction or cytokine storm).  If anyone I know ends up hospitalised I would definitely be asking about the dexamethazone (sp?) because that is the one thing I’ve seen studies that show a definite difference in outcomes.

• Thanks 1

Of the things I have mentioned that I would personally  take, the only one that has not been discussed so far by DrBeen afaik is Niacin (and when si find things I send him messages asking if he’d look at that, so maybe in future he will)

my justification for niacin is a lot of articles studies, not specific to CV19, along these lines:

Conclusions: High dose of niacin attenuated lung inflammation, reduced histologic lungdamages, and improved survival during sepsis in rats. These therapeutic benefits were associated with downregulation of the NF-κB pathway.

Niacin attenuates lung inflammation and improves survival during sepsis by ... - PubMed

It also likely has useful heart and lipid benefits. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Plum said:

shoutout to @Pen

Thank you for talking about NAC! I never would have known about it. 

MedCram #99 about Long Haulers suggests 600mg of NAC 2x a day. He referenced an older study used on influenza patients. He believes long haul patients are due to blood clots and NAC could help. I've been giving dh 1000mg 3x a day and started giving him low dose aspirin 1x a day. I think that maybe I should cut back now to the 600 2x a day with the low dose aspirin. 

So far dh still only has mild symptoms. He feels better than yesterday, but as Dr. Seheult says this virus seems to have a biphasic pattern where it seems to go away a little and then comes back. 

aspirin also had a DrBeen video devoted to it!   Idk right amounts— my gut feeling is that 3000mg / day is high.   But idk.

Several of the supplements, vitamins etc recommended for CV19 have or seem to have blood flow regulation aspects (D and K for example... I was worried about K1 and clotting too much, but the more I have read, the more it seems to help normalize blood flow)

I felt attacked when I had mentioned herbs on the long thread, but at stage where someone is likely past initial virus attack and heading toward time that immune system overreacting would be major (don’t know if u r there yet with D H ), I’d personally look at some herbs that tend to decrease inflammation such as possibly turmeric/curcumin (which is basically what aspirin may be doing), Japanese Knotweed...  .  

And I’d want to make sure D is excellent throughout.  (Good D levels tend to go along with low C reactive protein).

Personally I’d feel safe going even higher on NAC for a short term use. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2020 at 4:47 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

Dr Marik afaik Is the moving force behind MATH protocol.   It’s not like his own version of someone else’s protocol.  He does change it as more information and experience emerges.  Also he had to remove HCQ for political pressure reasons afaik. 

I think Marik’s MATH and / or the Zelenko protocol are current best options (other than political issues making it impossible for most of us to get HCQ at the correct early timing right moments). 

I am one who would prefer to be anecdotally alive and well than academically dead.  I am good with utilizing the clinical experience of doctors I trust rather than having a “prove it” with studies attitude.  I know others on here have different attitudes and want studies for everything,  and that’s fine.  Or at least it is fine with me so long as it doesn’t make doing (or taking) the things I want to do to feel safe illegal. 

MATH has a prophylactic recommendation aspect as well as home care after diagnosis and hospitalization recommendations if needed. 

The main area that I am not sure about with the basics on MATH are the zinc levels.  I think for myself it’s too much zinc on a daily prophylactic basis.  I think Zelenko’s suggested amount of around 25 or 30 mg (I forget which) zinc seems more what I can tolerate than MATH (75mg per day iirc?).  But if I thought I were specifically exposed, I’d go to the higher MATH (Marik) suggested zinc level for at least a few days.  I also take higher D3 more consistent with Zelenko than MATH. 

ETA: I have decided to go to Marik zinc rec amount since it is not with HCQ and I don’t yknow how good Quercitin is as an ionophore, it may be that to get a reasonable absorption it will take more intake—especially as I take with food to avoid nausea.   I also have reason to think my zinc level is low still with current intake. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Plum said:

We've been keeping up on Vit D and he's been taking his multivitamin. I do have tumeric, but I haven't been giving it to him. I could start. 

Good.  You could check amounts as compared to MATH

I think this (below) is the up to date MATH for at home care

zinc and an ionophore should be together, (Zelenko describes them as bullet and gun, where zinc is bullet and HCQ is gun — or Quercitin in place of HCQ for those of us who can’t get HCQ). C is synergistic.  

I take higher D3 personally along with extra of its needed and or protective co factors K A E and magnesium. 

27 minutes ago, Plum said:

I originally ordered 1000mg pills and the next bottle I got was 600mg. Oops! At least it will be easy to transition. I'm going to send a covid vitamin kit to each of his coworkers that got tested yesterday.

NAC is one that doesn’t stick around a long time, so less amount more often is probably better than more amount less often with it.   So 600 taken more often is probably a good error. 

I have gone with Source Naturals sometimes on purpose because it has reputation for NAC dissolving slowly which I think also helps to spread it out. 

I sent a gift of NAC to a friend whose husband had cancer and means they are often in medical places, waiting rooms etc. 

FB84F765-C008-4F49-8C6F-DDE3F3AF3B2A.jpeg

4 hours ago, Plum said:

shoutout to @Pen

Thank you for talking about NAC! I never would have known about it. 

MedCram #99 about Long Haulers suggests 600mg of NAC 2x a day. He referenced an older study used on influenza patients. He believes long haul patients are due to blood clots and NAC could help. I've been giving dh 1000mg 3x a day and started giving him low dose aspirin 1x a day. I think that maybe I should cut back now to the 600 2x a day with the low dose aspirin. 

So far dh still only has mild symptoms. He feels better than yesterday, but as Dr. Seheult says this virus seems to have a biphasic pattern where it seems to go away a little and then comes back. 

I am glad your dh is feeling better, I am hoping that continues. 

This weekend, I'll try to update the first post to reflect the advice here with links so we can occasionally bump this thread & the first post will have the suggestions in it for people looking for the advice.

My friend has had no symptoms & tested negative on Monday (about 5 days post-exposure).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RootAnn said:

This weekend, I'll try to update the first post to reflect the advice here with links so we can occasionally bump this thread & the first post will have the suggestions in it for people looking for the advice.

My friend has had no symptoms & tested negative on Monday (about 5 days post-exposure).

That would be great.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:23 PM, Pen said:

Isolate the exposed person. 

I’d take:

zinc and Quercitin 

C

selenium

NAC

B complex

and do nitric oxide breathing exercises and get some natural sunshine if safe 

this video suggests foods that have the basic desirable nutrients especially likely to help

Pen

Do you know how much someone should take of

K

A

E

Magnesium 

Selenium 

Nac

B complex

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Pen

Do you know how much someone should take of

I don’t like to answer for other people.  I take: 

K

Life Extension Super K (has both 1 and 2) and/or some K2 drops as per label .  I take at least K2 daily 

A

A lot from food, or in multivitamin.  Occasionally some cod liver oil or a

Carlson A capsule as per label

I don’t take it daily beyond multivitamin. 

E

I use sunflower seeds as a snack. 

Magnesium 

~ 1000mg  or Epsom salts or magnesium topical oil as feels right 

Selenium 

In multivitamin plus a Brazil nut or 2 or 3 when I think of it. ... I’d take extra per label of a Selenium supplement alone if exposed, and keep with more until well. I have a bottle of Now brand in case of need of extra. 

Nac

I was already taking this before CV19.  I take it any time I take Acetaminophen and usually at least ~1000mg  per day.  Probably would take more if known exposure or feeling sick or anxious. 

(Dr Marik thinks it isn’t needed, but it was already one of my best supplements.) 

B complex

I take at least 1 and better 2 Emerald Lab or 2 Country Life brand per day  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ElizabethB said:

D you can take too much of, but you need a lot to build up quick if you're too low.

Here is what is in the Brazil COVID kit, it has doses for D and zinc:

263689691_ScreenShot2020-07-24at5_43_04PM.thumb.png.1838cd5f1968351aab357cdd3cfb2029.png

Interesting.  Is that supposed to be for sick people at home? Or prophylaxis? 

It says zinc between meals — I have to have food with zinc or I get nausea.   But it is supposed to absorb better between.  Its zinc amount is low compared to MATH protocol.  (MATH seems high but as with D, if deficient in zinc it may take more as loading amount to get up to an optimum dose.  Zinc too is possible to be both too high and too low.) 

And the HCQ loading amount in Zelenko protocol was , iirc, 200 mg daily for 5 days, then 200mg weekly maintenance... but that might have been for well people as prophylaxis. 

I haven’t investigated Ivermectin. 

ETA: I think I will experiment with the least amount of food / farthest from meal I can take zinc without nausea.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 6:30 PM, RootAnn said:

I’m glad for your friend.

first post changed to have a summary of the suggestions and thread bumped up from time to time sounds like it would be helpful!

Even if making some of the suggestions oneself when calm, it can be easy to forget what to do when feeling anxiety over an exposure or if feeling actually sick.

And I expect we will be dealing with this for some months to come.  Maybe years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

So I am assuming the dosage is for adults, any ideas on what to give kids?  Should my young teen who is taller than me get an adult dosage. 

I’d probably look up each thing independently for age / size, even gender.  I’d use VitaminDWiki for D information. And I’d use various information sources including orthomolecular medicine and  selfhacked or even body building type info—not minimum RDA — for others. Plus I’d pay attention to any issues with each (for example too much zinc for too long upsetting copper-zinc balance).    Sometimes kids have lower needs, sometimes higher.  On some charts for some items teen boys can have bigger needs than adult women—I think zinc is one of those.

I’d really want kids to be optimized (not too high, but not just barely above deficient) on vitamins in general.  

So ideal I think would be an ongoing good amount and to extent possible from food, sunshine...  If teen can safely get a little sunshine , I’d currently emphasize that (have not been too successful with my own though). It helps NO in addition to D . 

For a known exposure: 

IME, It is hard to get teens to take anything. The ones I’d focus on for a teen with a known exposure would be

D (enhances early / innate part of immune system that doesn’t need antibodies — apparently Helps with cathelicidins etc. and probably significantly decreases virus ability to bind to ACE2),

zinc (can probably deactivate virus / interfere with its replication and plays role in other immune system functions ),

Selenium (seems to decrease ability of virus to bind to cell membrane—or perhaps decreases ability of the spike protein to split and bind to both ACE2 and cell membrane.)

C - My own teen has had tremendous past positive experience clearing illnesses with vitamin C , so knowing that, for him plenty of C would make sense.  Afaik C results in diarrhea if into “too much” so amount limit is pretty obvious. 

Btw, afaik, 

Zinc dosage is in milligrams  -  probably not more than 75, but iirc some teens take more short term for acne

D3 and Selenium dosages are only in micrograms

Selenium is probably easiest to get enough from Selenium rich foods. 

• Like 3

Another issue under “dosage” category:

for certain things, for example zinc, it is not clear whether suggested dosages are for elemental zinc, or for the particular form that a doctor mentioning it might be using.

That is something I would like to get clarified particularly for the math protocol. And if I can figure out where to write to Dr. Marik I think I’m going to ask that.  Does he mean 75 to 100 mg of elemental zinc? Or does he mean 75 to 100 mg of some form of zinc yielding a lesser amount of elemental zinc?

If anyone already knows the answer to this, please let me know.

It is also possible that there’s not as great a difference between a couple of the suggestions if, for example, the person who suggested 25 or 30 mg of zinc daily meant elemental and the person who suggested 75 to 100 mg of zinc daily meant some form of it only part of which is elemental zinc.

Edited by Pen

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Thank you again Pen.  

If anyone sees any sites that are specific informattion on dosages amounts for kids and teens please post.  Off to research. 

and @ElizabethB

I wanted to add that I think the immune syndrome affecting some children may have hit children with darker pigment skin more than others? Iirc?  If so, Vitamin D levels may be of particular significance for children .   

• Like 1

Revamped first post with some of the suggestions. Included a couple of links with more info. Tried to leave it somewhat open with the idea that the first post could be useful at a glance and further reading through the thread would be helpful. I'm open to getting more specific on #s but don't want it to be seen as medical advice/open up SWB (or me!) to lawsuits. I'll try to keep it somewhat updated if I see something else suggested here or elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There have been some videos on suggestions on how to isolate and care for people who are sick... There might be some overlap with exposed, but don’t know yet if person will be sick.  

For exposure and trying to support immune system to fight it off,  Rest / good sleep might be other supportive things  to do too. 

• Like 2

My dearest friend is close friends with a doctor from Atlanta who helped her with supplements during her cancer treatments (yes, he’s an MD). He recommended the following to her:

Daily, as a preventive:

5K Vit C

Vit A 10,000 IU

Vit D3 5,000 IU

Zinc (don’t remember this dosage, but just one tablet/day - I can’t take this)

If exposed, double everything for 4 days (once morning/once evening).

He also gave us the if infected protocol, but I’d have to have her resend it or locate where I wrote it down. I just remember this easily because I take the preventive protocol daily, and have been since March.

A couple of times I have felt kinda “off,” not particularly symptomatic for anything, just not feeling great. I take the morning protocol, then wait two hours and start 1K vitamin C hourly for 6-8 hours. I don’t double anything else, but I do the extra Vitamin C hourly, and it has helped every time thus far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

My dearest friend is close friends with a doctor from Atlanta who helped her with supplements during her cancer treatments (yes, he’s an MD). He recommended the following to her:

Daily, as a preventive:

5K Vit C

Vit A 10,000 IU

Vit D3 5,000 IU

Zinc (don’t remember this dosage, but just one tablet/day - I can’t take this)

If exposed, double everything for 4 days (once morning/once evening).

He also gave us the if infected protocol, but I’d have to have her resend it or locate where I wrote it down. I just remember this easily because I take the preventive protocol daily, and have been since March.

A couple of times I have felt kinda “off,” not particularly symptomatic for anything, just not feeling great. I take the morning protocol, then wait two hours and start 1K vitamin C hourly for 6-8 hours. I don’t double anything else, but I do the extra Vitamin C hourly, and it has helped every time thus far.

Thanks!  If you can get his “if infected “ protocol that would be appreciated. 

May I ask why you can’t take zinc? Are you already at a good level?  I thought I could not due to nausea, but have been figuring out ways that I can. 

Imo K is also very important, and also magnesium.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StaceyinLA said:

Question about the aspirin as part of a daily preventive - how much would you take? Or would you not take it unless exposed/symptomatic?

I am not taking aspirin as a regular preventative.   (I have taken it along with acetaminophen as needed for headaches that I am susceptible to. ) While usually clotting seems to be trouble with CV19, I have also heard that some people have had the opposite and been coughing up blood. 

I think my regular intake of vitamin K

NAC, and vitamin C and D are more likely to properly regulate my blood flow. 

Edited by Pen

On 7/25/2020 at 4:15 PM, Pen said:

Another issue under “dosage” category:

for certain things, for example zinc, it is not clear whether suggested dosages are for elemental zinc, or for the particular form that a doctor mentioning it might be using.

That is something I would like to get clarified particularly for the math protocol. And if I can figure out where to write to Dr. Marik I think I’m going to ask that.  Does he mean 75 to 100 mg of elemental zinc? Or does he mean 75 to 100 mg of some form of zinc yielding a lesser amount of elemental zinc?

If anyone already knows the answer to this, please let me know.

It is also possible that there’s not as great a difference between a couple of the suggestions if, for example, the person who suggested 25 or 30 mg of zinc daily meant elemental and the person who suggested 75 to 100 mg of zinc daily meant some form of it only part of which is elemental zinc.

Dr. Zelenko says 25mg elemental zinc (with 500mg quercetin), but 50mg elemental zinc (or 220mg zinc sulfate) with 200mg hcq (if you can get it).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Dr. Zelenko says 25mg elemental zinc (with 500mg quercetin), but 50mg elemental zinc (or 220mg zinc sulfate) with 200mg hcq (if you can get it).

Thanks. 

Hmmm. 

I wonder why less zinc with Quercitin... 

Do you know? 

seems like maybe it should be at least the same since we don’t know how effective an ionophore Quercitin is and since Quercitin itself does not absorb well.  

Health and Treatments at multiple stages from regular life to exposed to sick: 

https://youtu.be/mCxHqlIvxbY

https://youtu.be/mCxHqlIvxbY

(If you find his video (s)  at all helpful please give it (them) a “like” — it helps to have them stay upon youtube so we can look at them ! I have no affiliation, just want them to stay easily accessible .) 

Edited by Pen