Menu

I need a new dishwasher

Janeway

I would prefer to just do dishes by hand, but my husband wants me to get one. I went to the store and pointed at one that looked fine and ordered it, but then I took at the reviews and it says 2-3 hr cycles that end in really wet dishes. I need the Speed Queen of dishwashers. Otherwise, it is not really worth it. Please help!

There is no Speed Queen of dishwashers, so when I needed one two years ago I planned to get the Bosch everyone here recommended, but realized that the diagonal spines would prevent me from cleaning some of my bigger bowls and pots in it.  So I bought the absolute top of the line Kitchenaid and have been quite happy with it.  Why I bought the top one—unlike the rest of the line, it had a garbage disposal system and cleaned its own food filter.  That meant less ongoing maintenance.  Also it had several jets for the upper rack and utensil rack above it, and I thought they would have a better shot at cleaning all the way out to the corners of the racks.  

It is extraordinarily quiet.  I had been enthusiastic about setting it up to turn itself on in the middle of the night when we are at the other end of the house and can’t hear it, but I almost never do that because I can barely hear it even in the same room.  So I just run it whenever it is full.  

One thing to know about the new ones—they are slightly bigger than the old. We had to cut about 3/4 inch off the top of the underpinning of our counters to make this one fit.  BE SURE you check the dimensions carefully if you have an older house with counters that would be hard to trim lower.  I don’t know whether I could get it into our cabin, for instance, as it has those traditional white tile countertops with the bent over lip.  

Another thing to know—the low rack is lower to the floor, and so you have to bend over more to load and unload it.  It has not been a problem for me, but if we ever get too stiff to do this easily, one nice thing about our model is that we can set it to wash just the top racks, and not use the bottom one.  That is a nice feature, I think.  We can adjust the top rack low enough to put dinner plates in it, so that will hopefully make this the last dishwasher we ever own.

• Like 1

I’ve had an asko for eight years.  It’s quiet, low water consumption, dishes come out clean and dry other than the tops of cups and plastics.  After around 7 years some of the plastic attachments started dying and needing replacement.  Just recently the touch panel has started playing up meaning it only runs on eco mode and often stops mid load.  Most likely it will need to be repaired or replaced in the next year I guess.  But we just had to do the hot water system and the ovens close to giving up so will eke out as long as we can. 

so in terms of performance it’s worth the extra cost but maybe not in terms of longevity.

• Like 1

I use the Speed60 setting on our Bosch. It takes 1:10 and gets everything just as clean as the longer cycle. 

We had a higher end Kitchen Aid before this and I hated that thing so much that I would wash dishes by hand rather than use it. The biggest problem was that the racks were flimsy and constantly breaking.

• Like 2

We don't have a dishwasher, and while I didn't really mind this pre-covid, I'm starting to get seriously irritated about having to wash dishes all the freaking time.  I mean, I think my kids are wearing fewer clothes (what with their anti bra and pants feelings), but they are more than making up with it with the number of dishes.  SOOOOOO many dishes!

Bosch.  I got a higher end one that was specially ordered by an appliance store - so not generally available. (the third rack is actually useable.)  It's flexible, it's quiet, IT CLEANS, it shines a quarter sized timer on the floor so you know how long it takes.  We've had it for a year - and we're still loving it.

I had a GE Profile I really liked - but it died. cry. (I wished it was a little bit quieter) I loved the versatility of the racks, and it cleaned very well.  I replaced it with the kitchen aid.

I LOATHED my top of the line kitchen aid.  I had to practically handwash my dishes before running it, so I was really only using it to sanitize.  I would have replaced/returned it after two months - but that wasn't an option.  I despised it.  (it was really quiet, which was nice, except if I didn't realize it was running and I opened it . . . . )

Edited by gardenmom5

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

I use the Speed60 setting on our Bosch. It takes 1:10 and gets everything just as clean as the longer cycle. 

We had a higher end Kitchen Aid before this and I hated that thing so much that I would wash dishes by hand rather than use it. The biggest problem was that the racks were flimsy and constantly breaking.

aww, I'm not the only one . . . . 

• Like 1

Happy with our Bosch, and I love having 3 racks. I can fit so much more! I had a quiet Kenmore Elite which worked well but didn't have as much capacity, and a Viking (expensive and terrible) that came with the house. It's so quiet that I really need to have the red indicator light that points towards the floor to know whether or not it is running.

Edited by calbear

I love our Bosch. It is so silent I have to check for the indicator light to know if it’s running. It has an express mode that finishes in an hour. I will say no cycle dries things well. Plastics are always wet. 

16 hours ago, Janeway said:

I would prefer to just do dishes by hand, but my husband wants me to get one. I went to the store and pointed at one that looked fine and ordered it, but then I took at the reviews and it says 2-3 hr cycles that end in really wet dishes. I need the Speed Queen of dishwashers. Otherwise, it is not really worth it. Please help!

So, I think I've posted before how much I am shocked that I hate my KitchenAid? I take it all back.  We ended up replacing the motor on the thing (a year after buying it) and it works GREAT!
That said, I did pick it up as a "last year's model" from Lowe's for less than $300, so had I paid full price for the thing and found out it had a bad motor, I'd probably still hate it.  It's quiet.  It works.  It's pretty. The company's customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.

5 hours ago, calbear said:

Happy with our Bosch, and I love having 3 racks. I can fit so much more! 

I have a Bosch with 3 racks and wouldn't pay for the 3rd rack.  I don't really like it.  My kids might put silverware in a basket on the bottom rack.  They are not going to get it lined up neatly on the third rack.  

18 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I have a Bosch with 3 racks and wouldn't pay for the 3rd rack.  I don't really like it.  My kids might put silverware in a basket on the bottom rack.  They are not going to get it lined up neatly on the third rack.  

I'm a fan of the third rack. We don't use it for silverware, but for bigger spoons, spatulas, tongs, etc. and lids for mason jars and Yeti cups.

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

I'm a fan of the third rack. We don't use it for silverware, but for bigger spoons, spatulas, tongs, etc. and lids for mason jars and Yeti cups.

That's what we use it for as well, all sorts of flat lids, and for chopsticks...Lots of chopsticks which you can never put in a utensil caddy. 

21 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Our Bosch is working well for us and dishes come out quite dry.  We have a few plastic pieces that may be a little damp.  The regular cycle is 2:09 I think. 

I miss the Bosch from our old house.

Oh, I will NEVER have another dishwasher without the third rack.  Best thing ever.   We  do use it for silverware.  I feel like it gets cleaner in those little slots and leaving out the silverware rack in the bottom saves alot of space.

Edited by FuzzyCatz

I love my Bosch with the third rack, I take out silverware basket.  It is wonderful. I did buy it from a specialty appliance store and it was $$.  Not the German made option expensive but more than the Lowes option.  I went through three Kitchen Aid dishwashers top of the line and they constantly needed repairs and only last about 2-5 yrs here.