Menu

What's with the ads?

sassenach

The Hive Antibody results thread

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had a negative but I recently read something that makes me think that too much time had passed from being sick to getting tested (over two months). Does anyone know if that’s true?  

I read something similar, what was it, like 3 months? We had hoped to get one person in our house tested, believing we saw CV in Feb, but now the antibody testing seems irrelevant. Sigh. 

I’m thinking about having a test myself, though. I’ve been pretty fatigued this last week and having allergy symptoms I don’t usually have this time of year. I have been the primary go-getter for groceries, etc, and do work in an outside office when no one else is there. Blah blah blah.

No fever, but hot flashes have been troubling me this last week. I just had a cup of coffee and my smeller seems ok, and I could definitely taste it. Taste is the one symptom I’ve heard so many people have that seems pretty definitive. I don’t want to get tested for nothing, though - what would y’all do?

(No one in the house and no one else I know is sick at the moment.)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I had a negative but I recently read something that makes me think that too much time had passed from being sick to getting tested (over two months). Does anyone know if that’s true?  

Yeah, I’ve been seeing this, too. It’s a bit of a bummer :-/.

• Like 1

I had something suspicious back in January but I’m guessing an antibody test at this point would be too late. I didn’t get one earlier because I was waiting for them to come out with something more accurate. Sigh.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We were hit with flu like symptoms a few days before our state shut down and we supposedly had community spread at that point. Eldest DD, DH and I were pretty sick, the other girls had very mild illnesses with low grade fevers and the boys never got sick at all. I was the only one who tested for antibodies exactly two months later and was negative. When I looked it up it did seem like there was a chance of either false negatives or no lasting antibody protection. It is very frustrating not knowing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mms said:

We were hit with flu like symptoms a few days before our state shut down and we supposedly had community spread at that point. Eldest DD, DH and I were pretty sick, the other girls had very mild illnesses with low grade fevers and the boys never got sick at all. I was the only one who tested for antibodies exactly two months later and was negative. When I looked it up it did seem like there was a chance of either false negatives or no lasting antibody protection. It is very frustrating not knowing.

Do you all remember the big H1N1 year, about 10 years ago? So many people got it in our area that pediatricians stopped having patients come in. One of my kids had GI symptoms and high fever, two others had more typical flu symptoms. When I called the doctor’s office I was told yes, assume that they all have it because “everyone” had it and to ride it out at home unless we thought the ER was needed. CV is much more serious than that, but I am seriously having flashbacks to that time. 

I hadn’t heard about the timing issue. Ugh. 2 months is such a short immunity window if that’s true. 

2 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Do you all remember the big H1N1 year, about 10 years ago? So many people got it in our area that pediatricians stopped having patients come in. One of my kids had GI symptoms and high fever, two others had more typical flu symptoms. When I called the doctor’s office I was told yes, assume that they all have it because “everyone” had it and to ride it out at home unless we thought the ER was needed. CV is much more serious than that, but I am seriously having flashbacks to that time. 

Yes, I am almost certain that we had H1N1 and my memory of it is far worse than what he had this year. Eldest got it then as an infant as well and we all coughed for months afterwards. I definitely see the parallels.

1 hour ago, sassenach said:

I hadn’t heard about the timing issue. Ugh. 2 months is such a short immunity window if that’s true. 

My thinking is either there are a lot of false negatives or even if there is not full immunity, partial immunity will help with future infections. But, that may be just my optimism.

• Like 1

I'm hoping they start doing T-cell tests like the ones I've been hearing about, assuming the idea that some people have strong T-cell responses but not much antibody response pans out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

It isn’t necessarily the immunity window.

There are memory cells and other aspects to immunity. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mms said:

My thinking is either there are a lot of false negatives or even if there is not full immunity, partial immunity will help with future infections. But, that may be just my optimism.

I’m willing to go with you on that!

• Like 1