Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

6 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Georgia state reports 2 confirmed cases

crap. I was watching the press conference. What are the circumstances? 

eta: nvm it's Fulton Co. (Atlanta) recent travel to Italy. My 14 yr old is going to an event in Atlanta this coming weekend. 😕

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

• Replies 24.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

9 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

So, I'm thinking maybe I need to store my reusable bags for a while and go back to store bags I can throw away? What do you all think? Less germy?

Also, would microwaving mail or heating it in the stove kill COVID 19?

It's not in my area, as far as we know, but I have been thinking about my work and home daily routines and habits.

I do a diluted bleach rinse on mine. 

• Like 1

One thing I’ve noticed that feels kind of weird about the China numbers.  Since about two weeks ago if you added the number of suspected to the number of confirmed cases it’s around 80,000.  They are now at 80,000 cases and only 500 suspected left.  Does that mean that in fact the lockdown worked 100 percent and they have just been getting testing confirmation now?  Somehow it seems too perfectly accurate or something.  Maybe the lockdown really was effective.  It seemed to me that all the community workers delivering the groceries would have created a small level of spread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I've been wondering about this, too.  We eat things like apples, pear, peppers, etc. that are handled by people at the store before we bring them home.  I'd like to somehow disinfect the produce.

When we lived in Brazil, I was taught by the locals how to sanitize fresh fruits and vegetables (no one there eats anything without sanitizing them.) We always wash everything we are going to eat raw.  We wash in a solution of water and vinegar (I don't measure; I just dump.  We go through a lot of vinegar).  I think the recommended mixture is 3 parts water to 1 vinegar.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So far in this thread we’ve been recommended whiskey for cough medicine and red wine for antiviral properties!  Im going to come live with you all in quarantine!  You’re just planning quarantine parties!

The first thing I calculated in my armageddon shopping list was how many bottles of wine I would need if I had to shelter in place with my kids for a month!

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

The first thing I calculated in my armageddon shopping list was how many bottles of wine I would need if I had to shelter in place with my kids for a month!

🙌🤜🤛 #fistbump

Edited by popmom
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So far in this thread we’ve been recommended whiskey for cough medicine and red wine for antiviral properties!  Im going to come live with you all in quarantine!  You’re just planning quarantine parties!

Any leftover whiskey is good for Christmas pudding. Whiskey and brandy are good if the cough is due to body lacking heat (traditional Chinese medicine). That’s why a shot of whiskey was considered a nightcap for elders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

The students will have issues as many of them use these summer intensive trips to finish their graduation requirements and the faculty can use the nice summer salary. 

We already know of one student whose (either spring break or summer intensive) was canceled. This student needed that class to graduate *this May*, and was supposed to start law school in the fall. Now they're not sure what to do. 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, popmom said:

I wasn't talking about putting it in the dishwasher! lol She was asking because she DOESN'T have a dishwasher. 😉

I've used bleach to clean my stainless sink many many times with no issues w/ pitting. I agree with you about the dishes actually, but I'm still going to bleach clean my produce as long as I can figure out how to do it safely.

Oooooh, I missed that post.  I interpreted it that someone either didn't have a dishwasher with sanitizing capabilities OR they didn't trust the dishwasher to fully sanitize the dishes. And I was like "Now hold on a minute..."

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

So, I'm thinking maybe I need to store my reusable bags for a while and go back to store bags I can throw away? What do you all think? Less germy?

It's not in my area, as far as we know, but I have been thinking about my work and home daily routines and habits.

Do not put your mail in the stove or microwave! You will start a fire!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

@Pen

not sure if this is posted already https://katu.com/news/local/oha-says-3rd-patient-tests-positive-for-covid-19-in-oregon

“PORTLAND, Ore. – Health officials say a third person in Oregon tested positive for COVID-19, identified as someone who attended a youth basketball game at a middle school in Weston, Oregon.

The person, an adult who lives in Umatilla County, Oregon, has been hospitalized in Walla Walla, Washington.

“The third case is not linked to travel to a part of the world with known cases of COVID-19. It is considered a case of community transmission,” the Oregon Health Authority said.

State health officials say they're working to find anyone who may have been in close contact with the person who tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Initial reports state Oregon's third patient went to a student basketball game at Weston Middle School on Saturday, February 19. 

Under federal CDC guidelines, the other spectators at the game would be considered “low-risk” exposures. If you were at the game or have any questions or concerns, call 211 if you're in Oregon or the Washington State Dept. of Health at 800-525-0127 (press #)

The district closed the gym for a deep cleaning. 

Health officials will announce if there are any additional locations where people may been exposed, if they are determined.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

We already know of one student whose (either spring break or summer intensive) was canceled. This student needed that class to graduate *this May*, and was supposed to start law school in the fall. Now they're not sure what to do. 

I am so worried about this. One of my daughters is planning to start studying for her AudD next fall. If she doesn't graduate in May that puts her behind a year. I mean...clearly I just want my kids to be healthy through all of this, but it's still a concern. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

I have been wondering this too. Once life is back to normal, will the virus surge again?

I assume many people here saw the NASA photos of the dramatic drop in pollution over China. I can't imagine a China with breathable city air. It's... something.

I haven't seen a lot about what it's like in China outside Wuhan right now. Like, what are people in random Chinese city doing right now? What's it like in Tianjin or Foshan or Chongqing or whatever?

Mostly living life - inside. In some areas, the kids are able to go outside for a short while to play. One of my students said she and her little sister went out for a little bit to play ball last week. They live in Xianian (if I understood her correctly. She has low level English). A few of my other students have told me they still haven't gone outside. One of them is bouncing off the walls in class. One of the families I teach stayed in Hainan when things looked bad in Beijing (their home), but went back on February 17th. from what I saw, Hainan was as bad as Beijing at the time anyway. The kids haven't been out, but parents go out for food. I think (I may be mixing families) this family said dad is working from home. Mom doesn't have an outside job. Another family has a parent that is a doctor. So far, everything is good with them, but the parents have been away from the camera for the last 3 weeks (they usually stop by and say hello). But when I ask the child, she says they are just in the other room.

They are all doing some sort of online school, whether videos, or a combination of phone calls. Several ESL companies are gifting millions of free English classes to students to help fill the time and "increase education." One of the companies I work for has given away 200,000 classes. Two other companies I work for has given away similar numbers or more of classes. The students do have homework from their schools, sent via internet, but it's nowhere near how it is when they are in school.

This is just what has come from my regular students. I close all my group classes from my second company with 中国加油, (Zhong guo jia you, Stay strong China), and the families are always surprised, happy, and thankful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Xenophobia in London 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporean-student-london-covid-19-attack-racist-jonathan-mok-12494174

“Suddenly, he was punched in the face twice, he said, and another attacker attempted to kick him as he tried to explain what was happening to another passer-by. 

The man who tried to kick him then said: “I don’t want your coronavirus in my country,” before punching him again, said Mr Mok. His nose started bleeding and blood was splattered all across the pavement, he added. 

The group left the scene before the police arrived. Immediately after the assault, Mr Mok said he focused on stopping his nose from bleeding, and returned home after the police and ambulance let him go. 

He also said that he has spoken to the shop owners of the store he was attacked in front of, and the police have yet to contact them regarding CCTV footage. 

POLICE URGE WITNESSES TO COME FORWARD
In response to CNA queries, London's Metropolis Police Service confirmed on Tuesday that they are investigating a racially aggravated assault that took place along Oxford Street at about 9.15pm on Feb 24.

The victim was punched and sustained facial injuries, said the Met Police. 

Investigations are ongoing to identify the suspects, including an assessment of available CCTV, they said.

No arrests have been made, the police said, and asked witnesses to come forward.

The Met Police were unable to provide CNA with data relating to the number of racially aggravated incidents connected to COVID-19.”

• Sad 13

48 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Xenophobia in London 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singaporean-student-london-covid-19-attack-racist-jonathan-mok-12494174

“Suddenly, he was punched in the face twice, he said, and another attacker attempted to kick him as he tried to explain what was happening to another passer-by. 

The man who tried to kick him then said: “I don’t want your coronavirus in my country,” before punching him again, said Mr Mok. His nose started bleeding and blood was splattered all across the pavement, he added. 

The group left the scene before the police arrived. Immediately after the assault, Mr Mok said he focused on stopping his nose from bleeding, and returned home after the police and ambulance let him go. 

He also said that he has spoken to the shop owners of the store he was attacked in front of, and the police have yet to contact them regarding CCTV footage. 

POLICE URGE WITNESSES TO COME FORWARD
In response to CNA queries, London's Metropolis Police Service confirmed on Tuesday that they are investigating a racially aggravated assault that took place along Oxford Street at about 9.15pm on Feb 24.

The victim was punched and sustained facial injuries, said the Met Police. 

Investigations are ongoing to identify the suspects, including an assessment of available CCTV, they said.

No arrests have been made, the police said, and asked witnesses to come forward.

The Met Police were unable to provide CNA with data relating to the number of racially aggravated incidents connected to COVID-19.”

So stupid and disgusting 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, iamonlyone said:

1) I think you could launder some types of reusable bags

2) no idea but I think dealing with mail as a fomite is worth thinking about.  Also other papers we get: receipts, documents etc.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It’s 4 for NSW (I have a paternal niece there)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-03/coronavirus-four-news-cases-confirmed-in-nsw/12021554
“Four new cases have been announced for NSW, bringing the total to 13

It includes the first case to have involved a traveller from Singapore

One of the cases is a 39-year-old man who travelled from Iran 

A 53-year-old man who recently travelled to Singapore has tested positive, as well has a 39-year-old man who travelled from Iran who came via Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. 

The 53-year-old man is the first case in NSW that appears to have come directly from Singapore.

Two other cases have also been confirmed on Tuesday afternoon, NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said. 

Two women, both in their 60s who returned to Sydney from South Korea and Japan, have tested positive. 

Mr Hazzard said there was no information as yet on any flight details concerning the women. 

There have been 13 cases in NSW to date”

• Like 1

An employee of a mine site in Western Australia had been put into isolation and facilities are undergoing sanitation after he developed symptoms after returning from Indonesia.  Not confirmed by testing yet

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/pilbara-mine-site-worker-in-isolation-over-coronavirus-fears-after-returning-from-indonesia-c-727868.amp?__twitter_impression=true

2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My brother is working at a mining site in the Pilbara. Second shilf back after a year off for treatment for oesophagus cancer

Hopefully not the same one and hopefully it’s not the real deal.  Christmas Creek mine site in the Pilbara owned by Fortescue Metals.

they will be extremely proactive about this I think.  Safety awareness is high on the sites anyway and the number of people living and eating together makes it necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StellaM said:

Well, the panic buy is on. 

Went to the supermarket this afternoon, and there was hardly any rice left, no hand sanitizer, and almost no ibuprofen.  So I guess that's what to stock up on first 🙂

Hand sanitiser was gone here Sunday.  

someone posted on Facebook if your desperate 75pc rubbing alcohol plus 25pc aloe Vera works though hard on the skin long term.

Dh actually has a pipe with a tap on his car roof so we do soap and water when travelling 

• Like 2

CGTN:  Mei Zhongming, deputy director of ophthalmology of #Wuhan Central Hospital, died of the novel #coronavirus on March 3, at age 57 Mei was a colleague of Dr. Li Wenliang and the third doctor to die fighting in the frontline against #COVID19 disease in Wuhan Central Hospital

• Sad 10

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

global Times Quotation for #Vitamin B1, a pharmaceutical ingredient mostly made in #China and consumed abroad, has risen 105.7% to 325 yuan ($46.56) per kg over the previous month, http://jiemian.com reported Tue. Some production capacity is located in #COVID19-hit #Hubei Province. #drug

Yikes!  That’s one of my personally  important vitamins! 

[To people having trouble being logged out, sometimes (not always by any means) reloading page logs me back in.]

Worldometers.info

Dr. Matt McCarthy, a staff physician at New York-Presbyterian:

“I’m here to tell you, right now, at one of the busiest hospitals in the country, I don’t have [a rapid diagnostic test] at my finger tips.” “I still have to make my case, plead to test people. This is not good. We know that there are 88 cases in the United States. There are going to be hundreds by middle of week. There’s going to be thousands by next week. And this is a testing issue.” 

“In New York State, the person who tested positive is only the 32nd test we’ve done in this state,” he said. “That is a national scandal. [...] They’re testing 10,000 a day in some countries and we can’t get this off the ground,” McCarthy said. “I’m a practitioner on the firing line, and I don’t have the tools to properly care for patients today.” (Video, CNBC)

See also: COVID-19 Testing Numbers by Country

• Sad 16

From CNN “The move, FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn said, would enable academic centers and private companies to develop and use tests.
He said up to a million tests will likely be conducted by the end of this week.”

This makes me both happy and nervous. We’re obviously in need of more and faster testing, and areas need the information to make careful decisions.
That said, going from “everything’s fine” to a hundred in a couple of days, then a hundred to potentially a giant chunk in a couple more would make this a real bumpy road!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I gave in and bought 2 weeks worth of non--perishable essentials. 

I'm not sure 2 weeks will be enough, if there's an outbreak local to me, but anyway...it can all be used at a later date if there is no need to stay at home for weeks on end. 

I’m seeing people say they haven’t been able to source toilet paper!  So it might be wise to have some just because of the panic buying.  

Also “who gives a crap” (environmentally and home delivered toilet paper)

and “costco” were two of the top twitter hashtags in Aus just before (the other two were Coronavirus related and one was Beck Judd.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

A couple of days ago DH went out to do a little extra shopping. He called with this question, "How much wine should I buy to get you through being stuck at home with DS16 for a month?"

• Haha 15

23 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

I've been lurking on this thread for a while but my irritation level has recently increased.  My dd23 is on a Fulbright in Switzerland.  All Fulbrighters and ETAs in Europe are supposed to be attending a 5-day conference in Berlin at the end of this month, dd is both participating and performing at it.  Not cancelled.  700 people are expected to attend, then fan back out to their respective countries.  Dear State Department, we get that your policy must follow official decrees, but really?  One of my worries is that Switzerland might decide to close the border that weekend and not let her back in the country.  She's also Type 1 diabetic.  She has far better health insurance there than here, so I'm also worried that they will just decide to send them all home at some point.  Thanks for listening to my worries, dh doesn't follow any news and so isn't noticing any of this.

I can totally understand why you are worried.  I know they aren’t recommending mask wearing in general but if she can get some it might be worth it giving her specific circumstances.

hopefully by the end of the month there will be a clearer picture of the situation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I can totally understand why you are worried.  I know they aren’t recommending mask wearing in general but if she can get some it might be worth it giving her specific circumstances.

hopefully by the end of the month there will be a clearer picture of the situation.

Yes, hoping for clarity with time. I say this very thing to her, thank you.  

I feel ridiculous not sharing the name, but I don’t know if the attachment was meant to be confidential, and I want to cover my butt while also sharing the “tone”.

A chain store company based in Texas has restricted travel for its employees. Along with pushing for virtual meetings and what not, employees who intent to take personal travel by air or cruise (domestic or otherwise) are being told to report their plans, and then remain home afterwards while the company decides what to do with them.

The company is a client of... uh... someone I know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

I gave in and bought 2 weeks worth of non--perishable essentials. 

I'm not sure 2 weeks will be enough, if there's an outbreak local to me, but anyway...it can all be used at a later date if there is no need to stay at home for weeks on end. 

2 weeks is a big help.  It even can allow calm thinking about next steps to take with belly full. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I’m seeing people say they haven’t been able to source toilet paper!  So it might be wise to have some just because of the panic buying.  

I get tp on automatic delivery from Amazon once every 4 months. Shortly before becoming aware of this whole novel Coronavirus issue I was kicking myself for not having skipped a delivery because I’d gotten ahead.  Then when thoughts of stocking up on things started my thought was “well, at least I’m good on TP!”

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I feel ridiculous not sharing the name, but I don’t know if the attachment was meant to be confidential, and I want to cover my butt while also sharing the “tone”.

A chain store company based in Texas has restricted travel for its employees. Along with pushing for virtual meetings and what not, employees who intent to take personal travel by air or cruise (domestic or otherwise) are being told to report their plans, and then remain home afterwards while the company decides what to do with them.

The company is a client of... uh... someone I know.

Good for them, IMO!

• Like 3

I've been lurking on this thread, and appreciate all the info. I rarely watch the news (frankly, this thread seems more informative.)

I've been wondering how you all stock up on prescription meds. I see it mentioned on lots of lists. It sometimes takes days for me to even get my regular month's worth filled. How are you getting EXTRA? (Not talking about narcotics or anything like that, I understand not being able to get extra of that.) Are you asking your doc to write 6 month scripts? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Harpymom said:

I've been lurking on this thread for a while but my irritation level has recently increased.  My dd23 is on a Fulbright in Switzerland.  All Fulbrighters and ETAs in Europe are supposed to be attending a 5-day conference in Berlin at the end of this month, dd is both participating and performing at it.  Not cancelled.  700 people are expected to attend, then fan back out to their respective countries.  Dear State Department, we get that your policy must follow official decrees, but really?  One of my worries is that Switzerland might decide to close the border that weekend and not let her back in the country.  She's also Type 1 diabetic.  She has far better health insurance there than here, so I'm also worried that they will just decide to send them all home at some point.  Thanks for listening to my worries, dh doesn't follow any news and so isn't noticing any of this.

What a mess! I hope it works out - I think it is very likely that the conference will be canceled unless the situation improves (I hope but don't believe it). Likely enough the German authorities might do so (or at least recommend). It's probably just too early yet. 

I do hope she gets to stay though!

• Like 2