Menu

need exercise video recommendations

ktgrok

I can't justify the time/expense of joining the gym. Nor do I really want to. (although part of me wants to just for the sauna, lol - but that's the more expensive and way further away gym so really, can't justify it). 

I do like exercise videos and I THINK my nearly 3 yr old is old enough to let mama work out for 15-20 minutes without getting too much underfoot. DD9 will do it with me sometimes, and DS7 will leave me alone. 

I want to work on strength - I've gotten weak. Getting up off the ground when I'm sitting on the floor shouldn't require significant effort nor grunting in annoyance, lol. My arms are flabby. My back hurts and when my legs are stronger it hurts less. (it didn't hurt at all when I was redoing our irrigation system, lol). 

Here is the thing though - I do NOT have huge mental stamina reserves to put toward this. So "push through the burn - no pain no gain" stuff won't work. Or rather, the ones where the instructor yells' How bad do you want it" would not work, as I don't want it THAT badly, lol. I have always HATED boot camp style workouts. I hate the yelling stuff. I loved Richard Simmons, and a few on Daily Burn which were super upbeat. I want encouragement, not a drill sergeant, if that makes sense. 

I have a knee that isn't the greatest, so low impact is better. I want to ease into this, not blast into it. And I need to squeeeze it into my life, so short and sweet. I have a few hand weights, and yoga mats, and a yoga strap and don't want to buy anything else. 

Any thoughts? I've done a few yoga by Adrienne workouts that were nice, and will probably look for those, but some that are squats, etc would be good, or something to get my heart rate up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmasc said:

This is, by far, my favorite lower body workout. It’s short but effective, the lady is calm and encouraging, and I’m able to do it with a knee that’s had surgery in the past. 

The Fitness Blender couple are by far the calmest,kindest, most reasonable people I have ever worked out with 🙂

I am trying to get back to it. My only complaint is that there are just so many videos to sort through. I have purchased the programs that tell me what video to do each day. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

The Fitness Blender couple are by far the calmest,kindest, most reasonable people I have ever worked out with 🙂

I am trying to get back to it. My only complaint is that there are just so many videos to sort through. I have purchased the programs that tell me what video to do each day. 

Yes! I have found this one that I love, but I’m planning to do the plan purchase so I have...well, a plan.😊 and the videos all lined up nicely for me to do. 

Leslie Sansone walking videos are super upbeat, cheerful, and encouraging. I am *not* coordinated and don't want to kill myself working out, so these are great for me. 🙂 Looks like some are available on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

Sometimes she incorporates hand weights and weighted balls and the walks include (easy!) aerobics-type movements.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Leslie Sansone walking videos are super upbeat, cheerful, and encouraging. I am *not* coordinated and don't want to kill myself working out, so these are great for me. 🙂 Looks like some are available on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVl6ZdslZz2Zj-34bMJFPbg

Sometimes she incorporates hand weights and weighted balls and the walks include (easy!) aerobics-type movements.

I am starting with these on Monday.  My library has a bunch of them I am borrowing to see how I like them.

• Like 1

I want to like Leslie Sansone and I've tried a few times over the years but she just grates on me. Not terribly but the workouts are so boring to me. Ten minutes of Leslie Sansone feels like 45 to me. I know other people love her though. It's most important to find the thing that you like.

I am about 50 pounds overweight and totally out of shape. My knees are starting to bother me just going up and down steps 😞 I know I need to do something but I'm not sure what is the right thing to do. Probably Leslie Sansone. LOL

• Like 1

I like Ellen Barrett. Her workouts are upbeat and low impact. Plus, she always has a modifier showing an easier movement. She calls her workouts “functional fitness” and they’re kind of a mix of styles. I also like Jessica Smith. She has tons of free workouts on YouTube. They are varying lengths and styles. She is very upbeat and encouraging as well, not at all “drill sergeant”. 

I *heart* Jessica Smith.

She has a bazillion free workouts on YouTube. If you go straight to her website JessicaSmithTV, she has them sorted by length, style, body region, etc . . .  She also has some great programs you can purchase. I use the digital downloads and my Roku, but you can get the DVDs on Amazon.  I lost over 100 pounds doing her 6 week transformation program. It’s a 30 minute workout 6 days a week. I did several rounds, obviously.

She has a fantastic personality. What I really like is that she explains what you should feel during each move to emphasize correct form and lessen injuries. Also she usually has her Mom and another lady with her to show modified versions of the moves. 

Here’s a couple of good free ones. 

• Like 1

Hot baths are decent substitutes for sauna especially for helping to treat depression. There was a recent study about this.

For exercise, how about Dance Dance Revolution or a video game that makes you move while you play? One of my sons  is giving me his Wii so I can try these out. They look like fun.

My wife has been doing DDPYOGA. This is NOT your typical Yoga. This is a FITNESS Yoga program and if you watch some of the Testimonials, they are more than amazing. For my wife, we know that she could pay 10 or 100 or 1000 times more than she does for DDPYOGA (and we live in South America where services are much less expensive) and not get 10% of the improvement that she does from DDPYOGA.

https://ddpyoga.com/

She had surgery in September and had to stop, temporarily, and then she had to start at the beginning again

I am hoping (New Years Resolution) that early in 2020 I will follow in her footsteps and begin doing DDPYOGA.

Not sure what she is paying, but I think it is approximately $10 or $12 USD per month. She does the Streaming Videos 

I think yoga and walking would be good for your needs, at least starting out. I think Yoga with Adrienne's 30 Day Challenge would be a great idea to get you in the habit, yoga always helps my back, but really really movement of just about any kind makes my whole body feel better.

On another recent thread, I agreed with someone's suggestion of Bikini Body Mommy.
She has a free youtube channel, starting her 9th 90-day challenge on Jan 6th.

She's had 5 kids, so it's easy to relate to all the Mom physical issues (& oftentimes her kids/dh join her).
I also like Fitness Blender . . . but she obviously hasn't had kids!

Here's Day 2 of her 8th challenge in early 2019, a few weeks postpartum.
The thumbnail of her Day 1 is wearing a bikini . . . so I've included Day 2 here.  😉

19 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Hot baths are decent substitutes for sauna especially for helping to treat depression. There was a recent study about this.

For exercise, how about Dance Dance Revolution or a video game that makes you move while you play? One of my sons  is giving me his Wii so I can try these out. They look like fun.

I'm anti competitive, if that is a thing, and I hate "losing" at things so that probably wouldn't work, lol.

and we don't currently have a bathtub. Even when I shower I usually have a 2 yr old with me who says it is "too hot" even when I have it lukewarm. Otherwise, that would be a good option!

14 hours ago, Lanny said:

My wife has been doing DDPYOGA. This is NOT your typical Yoga. This is a FITNESS Yoga program and if you watch some of the Testimonials, they are more than amazing. For my wife, we know that she could pay 10 or 100 or 1000 times more than she does for DDPYOGA (and we live in South America where services are much less expensive) and not get 10% of the improvement that she does from DDPYOGA.

She had surgery in September and had to stop, temporarily, and then she had to start at the beginning again

I am hoping (New Years Resolution) that early in 2020 I will follow in her footsteps and begin doing DDPYOGA.

Not sure what she is paying, but I think it is approximately $10 or $12 USD per month. She does the Streaming Videos 

Oh, I've heard of this! I've seen the video of the guy that couldn't even really walk who became super strong with it. 

Ok, so....in a crazy update, I joined a gym today! The same one I belonged to several years ago - I have the multi club pass so I can go to their closer location when I want, or the further one that has the sauna when I want/need. they have yoga and zumba and hot showers with no kids bugging me or wanting to get in with me and then complain that it is too hot! I decided it was worth it, and with my health insurance plan I was able to get a month to month membership instead of a year long plan so that helped me pull the trigger. 

But I am also going to need stuff to do at home on days I don't make it there, so these suggestions won't go unused!

I think I'll check Jessica smith out to start!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Lanny said:

I just signed up for the free trial. While I have always dieted/exercised/managed my weight I am at my highest weight and my knees are starting to bother me on stairs. I'm 45 yo and have never dealt with any kind of injury or pain and it scares me. I was trying to figure out what kind of exercise I should try to ease into and I am going to give this a try.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

I just signed up for the free trial. While I have always dieted/exercised/managed my weight I am at my highest weight and my knees are starting to bother me on stairs. I'm 45 yo and have never dealt with any kind of injury or pain and it scares me. I was trying to figure out what kind of exercise I should try to ease into and I am going to give this a try.

Wonderful!    My wife originally signed up for the Free Trial and after she did it one (1) time, it was very obvious that it had helped her. She was out of kilter and could barely move before that first session.  They have you take photos from time to time, so you can see your progress.

I am planning to begin doing DDPYOGA in 2020.  I need to get a Yoga Mat and fix the Sound on this old Laptop and then I am ready to go and can do it without bothering her.

I did something to my Left leg and Knee, on my Bicycle, with the seat not pointed forward (it was out of kilter, pointed to the Left for some reason) and then one day I was watching a Video or something on TV with her and I was resting my Left Knee on a bench and it slipped off and hit the floor (tiles over concrete) and now am having issues. DDPYOGA will help you and it will help me. Good luck with it!

I love my Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds dvds. 

It’s very simple, low impact to reduce injury risk, none of that “push through the pain” nonsense and most importantly - it’s effective. I really like that she includes the warm up and the cool down in every session bc otherwise it’s super easy to forget to do those important things. There’s beginner, intermediate and advanced.  Go for beginner. Most of those are 30-45 minutes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Ok, so....in a crazy update, I joined a gym today! The same one I belonged to several years ago - I have the multi club pass so I can go to their closer location when I want, or the further one that has the sauna when I want/need. they have yoga and zumba and hot showers with no kids bugging me or wanting to get in with me and then complain that it is too hot! I decided it was worth it, and with my health insurance plan I was able to get a month to month membership instead of a year long plan so that helped me pull the trigger. 

But I am also going to need stuff to do at home on days I don't make it there, so these suggestions won't go unused!

I think I'll check Jessica smith out to start!

I joined a gym for the first time to have somewhere to walk when the weather sucks. I have a new love hate relationship with the elliptical machines. Those things are going to kill me but I won’t have any fat on my thighs when I die. LOL I joke with my husband that if I drop dead on the machine, he better have my entire casket open so everyone can see my great legs that I died for.  Also if you are using a Fitbit or doing healthywage step challenges - make sure you change your fitbit setting to elliptical or it won’t count any of it and you will be super cranky  

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

I joined a gym for the first time to have somewhere to walk when the weather sucks. I have a new love hate relationship with the elliptical machines. Those things are going to kill me but I won’t have any fat on my thighs when I die. LOL I joke with my husband that if I drop dead on the machine, he better have my entire casket open so everyone can see my great legs that I died for.  Also if you are using a Fitbit or doing healthywage step challenges - make sure you change your fitbit setting to elliptical or it won’t count any of it and you will be super cranky  

lol!

And I had no idea about changing the settings! I don't usually do the elliptical because I'm so clumsy I have trouble coordinating arms and legs, lol. But if I do, now I know!

I already get super grumpy when it doesn't count my steps properly at the grocery store because my hands are resting on the cart. I have started putting it in my pocket when I'm grocery shopping, because an hour pushing a heavy cart around the giant super walmart should count!!

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

lol!

And I had no idea about changing the settings! I don't usually do the elliptical because I'm so clumsy I have trouble coordinating arms and legs, lol. But if I do, now I know!

I already get super grumpy when it doesn't count my steps properly at the grocery store because my hands are resting on the cart. I have started putting it in my pocket when I'm grocery shopping, because an hour pushing a heavy cart around the giant super walmart should count!!

I make the kids push the cart for just that reason.  I have been putting my Fitbit on my ankle lately but then I feel like my wrist is naked and I'm constantly checking it to find nothing there.  I need to figure out if I can sync up two Fitbits so I can wear one on the ankle and the wrist.🤔

12 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Follow-on to my previous reply to you.   I told my wife that you signed up for DDP YOGA.  The conversation with her was about 2 hours ago, and I don't have all of her comments memorized. When she signed up, originally, it was for 90 days. After one (1) week, she changed that to one (1) year.

She told me that she was in intense pain when she started DDP YOGA.  After one (1) session, she was improved. She does it 3 days a week.

I thought she was paying $10 or $12 USD per month, which considering the results she is getting from DDP YOGA, is a gigantic bargain, and I am thanking God that our DD found DDP YOGA for my wife.

I think it is approximately $39 or $40 USD per year, when they are offering discounts?

I am going to contact them, after I submit this post, and ask if I pay for their Personalized plan, if they can help me with the objectives I am hoping to receive from DDP YOGA.

The "before and after" photos, if I am successful in Uploading them into this post, were after 3 months on DDP YOGA, 3X per week. In the Before photo, she was in the bathroom and you can see that she could only lift that leg to the height of the bathroom sinks.  The After photo was after 3 months, and you can see the increased flexibility.

She had been to Physical Therapy, etc., but with little if any positive results. A waste of time and money as it turned out.

She said there are Testimonials from 3 people, Arturo, Vance and Jared, that inspired her. She said especially the one from Vance.

Hopefully I can Upload the Before and After photo she sent me and you can see the improvement in flexibility of that leg in 3 months. She has Back problems and has had them for many years and when she began DDP YOGA, she could barely move.

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-29 at 9.16.20 AM.jpeg

• Like 3

Also, you can keep the arms stationary if you can't coordinate the arms and legs, of just get a bit tired but don't want to stop.  I do that all the time.  Usually there's a set of handles that move and a set of handles that don't right in front of you.  Trust me, it's still a heck of a workout.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Follow-on to my previous reply to you.   I told my wife that you signed up for DDP YOGA.  The conversation with her was about 2 hours ago, and I don't have all of her comments memorized. When she signed up, originally, it was for 90 days. After one (1) week, she changed that to one (1) year.

She told me that she was in intense pain when she started DDP YOGA.  After one (1) session, she was improved. She does it 3 days a week.

I thought she was paying $10 or $12 USD per month, which considering the results she is getting from DDP YOGA, is a gigantic bargain, and I am thanking God that our DD found DDP YOGA for my wife.

I think it is approximately $39 or $40 USD per year, when they are offering discounts?

I am going to contact them, after I submit this post, and ask if I pay for their Personalized plan, if they can help me with the objectives I am hoping to receive from DDP YOGA.

The "before and after" photos, if I am successful in Uploading them into this post, were after 3 months on DDP YOGA, 3X per week. In the Before photo, she was in the bathroom and you can see that she could only lift that leg to the height of the bathroom sinks.  The After photo was after 3 months, and you can see the increased flexibility.

She had been to Physical Therapy, etc., but with little if any positive results. A waste of time and money as it turned out.

She said there are Testimonials from 3 people, Arturo, Vance and Jared, that inspired her. She said especially the one from Vance.

Hopefully I can Upload the Before and After photo she sent me and you can see the improvement in flexibility of that leg in 3 months. She has Back problems and has had them for many years and when she began DDP YOGA, she could barely move.

Does she only do the app? Or has she bought the DVD packages too?  He says you just need a heart monitor, but he shows yoga mats and yoga blocks - does she use those?  I would love to find something like that that I could do at home and feel safe doing.  Does he instruct on how to modify? He says all his programs show people modifying the positions to meet their ability, but does he explain that if for example your left leg or arm is weak, adjust it to hatever alternative?  I am very injury paranoid.  Btdt and have no desire for a repeat.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Thanks! Those pics are impressive. I’m going to take pics tomorrow and do the first workout. I got the app yesterday and have been reading and watching the tutorials so I’m ready to go tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

Does she only do the app? Or has she bought the DVD packages too?  He says you just need a heart monitor, but he shows yoga mats and yoga blocks - does she use those?  I would love to find something like that that I could do at home and feel safe doing.  Does he instruct on how to modify? He says all his programs show people modifying the positions to meet their ability, but does he explain that if for example your left leg or arm is weak, adjust it to hatever alternative?  I am very injury paranoid.  Btdt and have no desire for a repeat.

Yes, she only uses the App. No, she does not have the DVD packages. I believe there are 2 reasons she doesn't have the DVD Packages: First, the Streaming can be updated easily and we believe is more complete and 2 we live in South America so if there would be an issue with the DVDs, it would be a hassle or we would be out the money.  

Yes, she has a Yoga Mat and a Water Bottle and a Towel. No, she doesn't have a Heart Monitor.

They are very clear on doing what you can. Especially at the beginning. I saw that when I was on their web site earlier today (FAQ?) and I remember my wife telling me that, months ago. She told me a few minutes ago that there are people who begin by doing the exercises laying on top of their beds. Also, I believe they have one person in the group doing the video(s) who does a modified exercise for those who cannot do the complete exercise.  

They are very clear that you do what you can and progress as you can.

She got it going to demonstrate a little. The Adapter (DisplayPort to HDMI) she had from her Laptop to the SMART TV was damaged, so until we can get another one that works (proper technology) she is using her Huawei (Android) cell phone and getting that onto the SMART TV. She said when she tried to do that, it wants to do it via Bluetooth, but that she declines and then I guess it uses the WiFi in our house. She said the quality on the SMART TV is lower than what it would be from her Laptop if she had that Adapter, but for this type of thing one doesn't need Broadcast Quality on the SMART TV.

NOTE: My wife said that it is EXTREMELY important, when you begin, that you take the time to fill out all of the information about your weight, height, areas where you have pain (Back? Knee? etc.) and that you keep that information updated and that when you finish your exercise sessions that you update that information and have them updated, so they can suggest which exercises you should do.

She said that she could barely move before she began the DDPYOGA exercise program.

I was going to get a Yoga Mat and fix the Sound on this Laptop and do it in here, but she said she will help me, using her cell phone and the SMART TV she uses to do it.

IMO it is quite inclusive.

DON'T do anything that you are not capable of. Today you may not be able to do an exercise, but if you keep at it, in a week or a month you may be able to do it. Take it slowly and you will be fine.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

Thanks! Those pics are impressive. I’m going to take pics tomorrow and do the first workout. I got the app yesterday and have been reading and watching the tutorials so I’m ready to go tomorrow. 

Thank you and good luck with the DDPYOGA program. Yesterday, when I was getting information from DW about her experiences with DDPYOGA, she told me that before she began the program, she could barely move and was in intense pain.   After her first session with DDPYOGA, with her restrictive movements because she was so out of shape, she knew she had improved and that she had less pain after her first session. A problem in her Back or Spine is something she has been seeking help for, for many years. Physical Therapy, etc.  It was her idea to send the 2 photos, so I will tell her they helped you. A picture is worth 1000 words?

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

Thank you and good luck with the DDPYOGA program. Yesterday, when I was getting information from DW about her experiences with DDPYOGA, she told me that before she began the program, she could barely move and was in intense pain.   After her first session with DDPYOGA, with her restrictive movements because she was so out of shape, she knew she had improved and that she had less pain after her first session. A problem in her Back or Spine is something she has been seeking help for, for many years. Physical Therapy, etc.  It was her idea to send the 2 photos, so I will tell her they helped you. A picture is worth 1000 words?

Yes! Her pictures even inspired me to take the pictures in the app which I otherwise would have skipped. Thank you.