Menu

Baby Names

JustEm

44 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Peregrine

Freyja

I do like Peregrine, but I've got a Percival and a Persephone. It would be too much even though it doesn't sound like the beginning of their names.

I do like Freya, I came across it for the first time this morning and it is on my short list. Haven't suggested it to dh yet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MeaganS said:

I tried to convince dh of Florence or Temperance. He didn't go for it. 

Others I thought of are Ariadne, Artemis, Adelaide, Daphne, Minerva (Minnie), and Eleanor. I'm partial to two of those as my own daughter's names. 

Florence is a pretty name.

Artemis has been dh's top pick since baby number one. It has always been a hard no for me. Just something about it has never felt right. But somehow in the last two days I've started to like it. He'll probably think I had a brain tumor if I told him I was considering it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I have never heard this name before. I like it. I'll have to think about it because we already have name starting with the K sound and we actually regretted it when we realized we accidentally named two kids with Per as the first part of their names.

I've only heard of two recent people with that name, both on YouTube. I think I read a book with a character named that in high school, but I can't remember what the book was.  And I briefly dated an Irish guy with a brother named Kiernan when I was in my early 20's.  I thought it was a cool name then.

There's a historical researcher named Kiernan on a UK based Reel Truth History Documentaries show I watch called Restoration Home.  The best episode is about a Kennedy castle with Victorian additions that was nearly in ruins.

The other is the husband of Sarah Terese.  She's a crunchy Christian plant-based minimalist who I think was a cosmetician before she had kids, or maybe just before she had so many kids. She recently cut her platinum bleached hair into a brown pixie to deal with postpartum hair loss.  Sometimes she gets a little preachy/sponsored content annoying but mostly I find her really likeable. Possibly because I once cut my bleached hair into a pixie too, and when she gets ranty it's often about the same things I do.  Kiernan is very likeable too, though he's not in her videos very often. He seems down to earth but still fun loving, and he's doing something pretty practical.  I want to say he's a journeyman electrician or something like that.  Anyway every time I've heard that name recently I loved it, and when I saw your post I thought of it immediately. It's traditional without being common. 

• Like 1

I just love names. 

Some I loved mentioned here already are:

Violet

Avonlea

Kiernan

Beatrix

Evander

Kingston

One I liked after my baby naming days were done was Garrison. Although it might lead people to say Gary, which I do not love. 

9 hours ago, Pen said:

Regards could be a Beauregard

Good one!

5 hours ago, Quill said:

One I liked after my baby naming days were done was Garrison. Although it might lead people to say Gary, which I do not love. 

Or people might use the nickname Troops or Fort!

Beauregard,

Kareni

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

So, dh's top girl names are

Beatrix,which I like

Freya, which is my favorite so far

Nora, which my best friend just named her newborn in Sept so that is out

Daphne, which is ok

Violet, which I like and could grow on me

Titania, which I like a lot but can't picture naming a child that.

My favorite girl's name is Ophelia, which was in the running for my DD who we named Persephone. So, at one point dh loved that name too. We'll see.

We haven't even discussed boys names as I think dh is convinced it is a girl. We'll find out in a week or two

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Beatrix,which I like

Daphne, which is ok

My favorite girl's name is Ophelia, which was in the running for my DD who we named Persephone. So, at one point dh loved that name too. We'll see.

We haven't even discussed boys names as I think dh is convinced it is a girl. We'll find out in a week or two

Violet gets my vote.  🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Quill said:

I love Beatrix, Violet and I could get used to Ophelia. It definitely sounds right with your other kids’ names.

Ophelia certainly fits with my other children's names. But so does Beatrix. Violet is probably the one that fits the least but it still goes well enough.

• Like 1

My top boy's name is Sebastian but I don't think dh will ever go for it. I also like Gideon and Ambrose. I think there are a few others that I can't think of right now.

Picking names is made harder by the fact that I have so many siblings who seem to like many of the same names I do. At least 4 of my nieces and nephews have names I would have loved to use for my own kids.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

My top boy's name is Sebastian but I don't think dh will ever go for it. I also like Gideon and Ambrose. I think there are a few others that I can't think of right now.

Picking names is made harder by the fact that I have so many siblings who seem to like many of the same names I do. At least 4 of my nieces and nephews have names I would have loved to use for my own kids.

On the upside, at least you can be fairly confident they aren’t whispering around the Christmas dinner table, “She named the baby what??!” 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Beatrix,which I like

Daphne, which is ok

So I love Freya too.... but... I think many people know it as a bra store that advertises heavily on social media rather than a name.  I would worry about that.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:41 PM, hjffkj said:

Beatrix,which I like

Daphne, which is ok

Maybe Beata? It combines the best of Beatrix and Freya without the unfortunate bra store name share. IMHO, the only Ophelia everyone's heard of offed herself. I'd avoid it, but maybe Odette (or Odile if you want to walk on the dark side).

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 8:25 PM, chiguirre said:

Maybe Beata? It combines the best of Beatrix and Freya without the unfortunate bra store name share. IMHO, the only Ophelia everyone's heard of offed herself. I'd avoid it, but maybe Odette (or Odile if you want to walk on the dark sidsid

I have a Persephone, who was forced to marry her kidnapper so I'm not too worried about the outcome of the character a name is derived from.  Also, a bra brand name isn't a deterrent for me if I like the name enough.

Well we found out today that the baby is a girl!! Now that I know she is a girl I'm leaning more and more towards Freya, Ophelia, Violet, or Penelope. But I know we won't actually pick a name until after I'm holding her. So we've got plenty of time to come up with other choices.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Well we found out today that the baby is a girl!! Now that I know she is a girl I'm leaning more and more towards Freya, Ophelia, Violet, or Penelope. But I know we won't actually pick a name until after I'm holding her. So we've got plenty of time to come up with other choices.

Violet..  My vote is Violet.  I do love that name. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Some of those names are on our short list too!  I can’t wait to find our what I’m having just to help cut down the contenders by half 😂

Penelope is probably my fave of the list you have.  It seems like it would go so nicely with the ones you’ve already used.

Persephone was going to be eithee Penelope or Ophelia until I held her in my arms and dh suggested Persephone. Neither of us had even considered that name and he happened to come across it while sitting in recovery. It was perfect.

My biggest beef with Penelope at the moment is that it is pretty popular right now. I don't need a super rare name but it is pretty popular right now, which I'm not a fan of. We'll see

• Like 1