Menu

Need ideas for a take-to-the-hospital gift.

Jenny in Florida

You may remember my post asking for help brainstorming ideas for a baby blanket or something to crochet for my young friend who is having her first baby?

Well,  her blood pressure has shot up and stayed up, so she was admitted to the hospital last night. The current plan is to keep her there and induce labor next week. She is, understandably, fairly worried and terrified. 

I'm going to visit her in the hospital on Sunday afternoon with another mutual friend. I'm trying to think of a small gifty or gifties to take with us. So far, the best idea I have is a couple of pairs of colorful, fuzzy socks. 

So, hit me with it: What are your go-to items for this situation?

I was on bed rest with preterm labor, and in and out if the hospital, for eight weeks with my one and only pregnancy. Just having friends visit was the absolute best because it took my mind off worrying and helped to pass the time. When I was at home, homemade meals were always appreciated, also. I don’t think a gift is necessary, but maybe a homemade treat and a really good, absorbing book.

• Like 1

The most important gift is the gift of your company. If you can visit today, Saturday, or any other day during the week that's better than just going one day.

Otherwise - a book to read, some fuzzy socks, a book of sudoku or crossword puzzles or adult coloring pages (with writing implements) - anything to keep her brain occupied while she's stuck being bored to death in the hospital.

• Like 1

Your time and any reading material she may like. When I was in hospital (not US) on bedrest for waterbag leak and was admitted late in the evening, what helped  was whatever newspapers and magazines the maternity ward nurses were able to find for me. Idle minds led to worrying about worse case scenarios. Even reading about sad stuff in the newspapers was less scary. 

If her husband is with her, finger food like a simple sandwich (cling wrap, ziplock bag) might be nice. My husband was a postgraduate student and he was with me. He didn’t dare to go and buy food for himself until someone (my parents or my friends) was with me. The nurses were great but my husband was worried I might faint and not be able to press the nurse help button. 

I have spent a long time in hospital while pregnant with a different issue but I had many roommates with the BP.   I think BP issues mean they want you fairly flat and on left or right side which means things like  books get heavy and crafting can be hard.  If you talk to her before ask if she needs anything for crafting as she might feel you are the perfect person to make a request to.  I knew exactly what I wanted and had to ask someone who did cross stitch to get it.  Hubby couldn’t find it.   She is bored, scared, and uncomfortable.  Your company is the best thing.  

If you feel you must bring something I loved magazines of all sorts.  My mil brought me a stack most weeks of gossip type ones.  My nurses loved taking them after so they were completely great entertainment because the staff visited me too. 😂

I really liked having lip balm and hand lotion when I was in the hospital.  Can she shower?  If not, maybe dry shampoo (a lifesaver for me).  I agree about the reading material.  I always had paper/pen with me so maybe some fun gel pens with paper or some of the word puzzles suggested above?  

• Like 1

Hospitals... How about a nice-smelling hand sanitizer? I agree about company. You may find out when you visit what options she has for entertaining herself. If I had to lay still, I'd like to listen to books on my phone, so perhaps an Audible gift card, if you find she'd like that. 

I'd call and ask if there is anything she needs. I've seen people leaving the hospital looking like pack horses trying to drag everything out.

If she had nothing to suggest, I'd take a balloon (easy to carry out or just deflate and toss there). I might take some gum, a small collection of fruit (in a disposable container), maybe any special water that she likes (flavored seltzer water?), maybe socks (but with the sticky stuff on the bottom so if she wears them there she won't fall). All this would depend upon any dietary restrictions.  

A variety of magazines, lip balm, hand cream, socks, gum or other hard candy if you know she likes that and can have it, really any nonperishables assuming they fit any dietary restrictions.  All of these were stated already, just "voting" so to speak.

I seriously love magazines, all sorts, when I am feeling sickly or down. No pressure to do heavy reading; I can toss them in the recycle when done or pass them on.

• Like 4

I was hospitalized for a week with pre-e with my second child. Having people come to visit was WONDERFUL because it was boring. I wouldn't consider a gift necessary, but if you want to bring one, I'd say either something to do or something she likes to eat. I like the idea someone else mentioned about finding out if there's anything she needs for a crafty hobby. 

Thanks, everyone. I think part of the trouble I'm running into is that I don't know her super well. We worked together for a couple of years, but have gotten more friendly only in the last few months since both of us have moved on to other jobs. She has reached out a bit more to us (group of three of us older women who all worked together) during her pregnancy, I think because she doesn't really have a lot of family or close friends here. I like her a lot, but we haven't been "close."

She's not especially crafty. She crochets, but not often for fun. And I don't think she does anything else in that zone. I've never seen her color or draw or anything like that.

She has a pug dog she adores.

She does tend to like "girly" stuff like lip balm and scented lotions, so that might be a good lead.

• Like 1

See if she has a tablet or a computer she can use to watch movies on - if not, try to lend her one or find someone who can lend her one. Do you have a gaming system you could lend to her for the duration of her stay?

Grippy socks are good.

Books, or if she has an ereader, an Amazon gift certificate.

Gift certificate to an app store so she can buy games or magazine subscriptions.

Food can be touch & go - if you decide to bring food, make sure it's something she can actually eat.

You can offer to take her laundry home & wash it so her family doesn't have to worry about it.

Gift certificate for in hospital restaurants so that she can order or her family can use them when visiting her.

Are their other children at home? Can you offer child care? Can you offer to take them to for library, pool, or playground outings? Can you give them movie gift certificates so that whoever is caring for them has a good diversionary activity option?

If there are other children, you could bring a few children's activities to the hospital so they can have something fun to do together. Simple games such as Uno and Connect Four, or if they are older, a more complicated game like Scrabble or even a cooperative game like Pandemic (there are cooperative games for younger children, too), coloring books, age appropriate crafts (make sure you bring all supplies and some wet ones for clean up if needed). If you have a game system to lend, that might be appreciated by the kids as well.

Some women are working from their hospital beds. Things that might come in handy: a small notepad, pen, post it notes, a cute, soft laptop case or hard cover.

A gift certificate for a maid service.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

Just a thought on socks - I never wanted any socks I'd be bringing home with me when I was in the hospital.  The hospitals I've stayed in always supplied the grippy socks and I preferred to just use those.  I don't like bringing stuff from the hospital because of germs and additional laundry.  The hospital would give me fresh socks as often as I asked so I just used those.  

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

How did the visit go?  I hope she is doing well.....

It went fairly well. I took her a small gift bag stuffed with a few nice-smelling lotions and hand sanitizer and facial wipes, which she seemed to appreciate.

Honestly, I don't think she's doing great. She was pretty out of it, had trouble carrying on conversation, cried a couple of times. The nurse took her blood pressure while we were there, and it was 162/74. They had monitored the baby overnight the night before and, apparently, weren't entirely happy with what they found. The baby is still small -- estimated about 3.5 pounds -- but as I understand it the plan is still to induce on Thursday unless a crisis requires a c-section before then.

A mutual friend was planning to stop by and see her again this afternoon, so I'm hoping for an update.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

She's 33-34 weeks.

OK, thanks.

Praying that everything will be just fine.

I know someone who was born in the 1970s at 36 weeks and weighed just under 3 pounds.  He had to stay in the hospital for a while, but is just fine.

NICUs do amazing work with even the littlest and earliest babies.