Menu

How much spending money for a teen at a 3 week college program?

Dmmetler

DD14. is going to a 3 week early college program. They will be living in dorms and eating on campus, but there will be field trips and other incidentals, and she will have flights there and back and some time in airports. We will be sending a box with snacks and toiletries via Amazon so she doesn’t have to take as much on the plane. I plan to send a rechargeable debit card, since I know purchases on airplanes are credit/debit only and some cash (for campus snack machines, etc). I’m wondering how much is reasonable? 

By rechargeable debit card do you mean one you can easily transfer money into and she can use as a debit card and for ATM withdrawals? That’s what we have.  

I’d probably go with $100 cash to leave with, and  a debit card that can be used to get cash if it turns out cash is more needed.  She can email or call you to discuss cash needs after she gets more of an idea of situation 

and/or contact program and ask them

• Like 2

Well, it depends. If you want her to feel free to do whatever she wants to do, $50 per week should do it. I’d send a limited amount of cash and put the rest on the debit card. Even the dorm vending machines take debit cards these days, and that’s safer than her having cash on hand, I think. 

• Like 1

$100/week. Assume that even though meals are provided on campus, it might be the social thing to go out sometimes. And the social part is important. Make sure she has a credit card for emergencies. 

My 9th grader needed $200 at CTD_Northwestern last summer.  All meals on campus were provided, as well as admissions for off campus trips.  However, eating  and snacking off campus was expensive.  Admittedly, I indulge him, but I rather he not be the odd man out.   But, your daughter will be with college students.  I think there will be  much more expenses than my kid's.  With airport food as well, $200 case, and $200 debit will safely cover it, and any unanticipated supplies.  Much more if the field trip costs aren't covered. 

My DS14 rather starve than eat something he doesn’t like so per diem is about $6 (frappe) and $20 (two meals, Panda Express cost about $10 for him per meal). I was picky and my mom gave me $10 per diem per meal back in the 80s. For souvenirs, I budget $100 per kid as the amount I am willing to pay. They can top up with their fun money. 

My DS is on an expenses paid program and i’m still averaging 100$ a week. But he has a ton more opportunities to spend $ than the residential type college programs. And most of the things he’s buying are not at all neccessities, actually none are, and yes I indulge too. 

Eta: he has an atm card. Also, when he did programs for high school students that took place on a college campus, if the program was residential, there just was not that many places to spend $. And DS is not a snacker. When on a non residential program on an urban campus,uh, more opportunities as lunch etc wasn’t covered. 

Edited by madteaparty

I think this can vary widely depending on what the field trips are and how many expenses are covered.  I know people who allow their college age students about $100 a month for incidentals and that works fine when their meals are covered and they can ship in stuff like toiletries from Amazon.  But if they're doing stuff on the weekend like going to amusement parks, visiting cities, hitting restaurants, etc that doesn't go nearly as far.  I'd want to allow for A souvenir.  But not for everything that catches the eye.  I just got back from an overseas trip with my dd and she had to track her own cash there.  She used her own money for more extravagant purchases.  It can also depend based on what part of the country she'll be in.  

That said, I'm personally not super comfortable carrying much more than $100 in cash.  I'd looking at setting her up with a cash card if I thought she would need more than that in cash.  And maybe encourage her to use the credit card for entry fees, larger purchases  Even if you may be settling up with her later on some stuff. 

I will probably send a care package about halfway through (although it's hard to find a snack box that isn't a ton of the same thing or doesn't have nuts-I'm trying to make the Amazon shopping list, and I don't think she needs 30 packs of goldfish crackers....).

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

I will probably send a care package about halfway through (although it's hard to find a snack box that isn't a ton of the same thing or doesn't have nuts-I'm trying to make the Amazon shopping list, and I don't think she needs 30 packs of goldfish crackers....).

When my son-in-law was in Air Force technical school, we sent him USPS Priority mail packages and filled the boxes ourselves.  It was cheaper and he could tell us what he wanted. A 3 day priority package costs about $15 for the large box. Snacks are a bit expensive on Amazon, so picking them up ourselves and paying shipping, made it cost the same....but more customized.  There is a website called Pirate Ship that will save you a buck or two on shipping also. The girl at the post office is the on who told us about it. You just print the shipping there and then stick it on a USPS Priority box.

I would figure $100 per week, and expect that they would bring some back home.  I would send $50 cash and a credit card for the rest.  Debit cards are nice too, so you can take out cash from an ATM. If she doesn't usually buy a lot of her own stuff, make sure she knows that many places charge to use an card for purchases under $5 or so. Some are cheap...like 50cents, others won't let you use the card at all for low amounts. Especially common around college campuses! 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

This totally depends on where the program is.  In a rural area or the South?  $100-150 should be fine.  Going to a major city, especially in Boston, New Haven, New York, San Francisco, LA?  I'd probably send $300.  I wouldn't go with more than $50 in cash.  Even campus vending and laundry machines mostly have debit cards enabled these days, and they are preferred in cafeterias or coffee shops because they are quicker.  Last week I had to take one of the kids to a University Hospital and I went over to pay cash for a bottle of water.  I had to tell the woman how much change to give me because so many people use cards she forgot how to make change.