Menu

Does anyone use contact paper for kitchen cabinets and drawers?

Annie Elle

We will be moving into a new house in a few weeks and I’ve been thinking about all the work that needs to be done. I have always put contact paper in the kitchen cabinets and drawers because that’s what my Mom said to do. Now I’m questioning if it’s necessary. What’s the point of contact paper?

I've always thought it was to protect the wood, which seems odd to me...since you don't see the wood under the contact paper anyway! Most of my drawers that have potentially scrape-y utensils in them have trays in which the utensils are organized, anyway. I am careful not to put wet dishes into my cupboards. 

I vote not worth the time. I do of course wipe out the insides of all the drawers and cabinets when moving into a new place.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

My mom used to use contact paper too.  I am not sure non sticky shelf paper was even available back then.  But trust me non sticky is much better.  I spray down all my surfaces with a bleach mixture and then I put down shelf paper.  It just seems cleaner to me than going directly onto wood.  

I've never done it, but after my first house, I refuse to use contact paper. My first house that I bought was purchased from a little old lady who had owned the home for almost 30 years. She had shelf papered everything - the kitchen cupboards and drawers, the medicine cabinet, the laundry room cupboards, and even the refrigerator shelves and drawers. It took forever to get through all the layers; apparently, when she got tired of the look or just felt the need to paper something LOL, she threw another layer on. The most we found was 10 layers under the kitchen sink. It was like an archaeological dig. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I use it because it's easier to wipe down than raw wood in cabinets where your oils may drip.  It cuts down on friction to your towels and plates and wear to the cabinet if the wood is somewhat rough or unfinished.  My cabinets are dark and the white liners make it easier to see to clean our crumbs and to just see the contents in general.  If the surface is smooth and painted, I wouldn't bother.  Things just slip over smooth surfaces easier.  It also protects from water if you have a tendency to put not-quite-dry glassware in your cabinets.  The grippy liners are nice in silverware drawers so that when you fling the drawer open, the utensil holder and loose utensils don't slide about.  

I would say it's not necessary and nobody will care if you skip it.  I would never bother with the sticky-backed stuff because that's a pain to work with.  I have 48-year-old cabinets that have spend their entire lives with a layer of contact paper protecting their shelves.  Under that paper, they look brand new.  I'm not sure anyone keeps kitchen cabinets for 50 years anymore, so It probably doesn't matter.  However, I am not gentle with my kitchen and bang and toss everything.  i slide the plates in instead of placing them.  I shove the bbq skewers into the drawer and have definitely scratched up the finish on my plastic liner.  My silverware drawer and oil and vinegar cabinet have been replaced more than once because I'm a bit of a cyclone in the kitchen.  I don't have a liner under my sink and the rough wood texture annoys me.  I'm seriously considering sticking peel and stick floor tiles under there because i have torn that space up.

I always use the shelf liner paper in the US.  It makes clean up so quick if something leaks and when you move out your shelves are like new.  They don’t sell the stuff in the UK and I thought about the sticky contact paper but was afraid of ruining the cabinets somehow so I have been using parchment paper to line things.  Dh and I cleaned some cabinets yesterday that were in embarrassingly bad shape, spills and leaks galore but the paper kept it off the wood perfectly.  It wasn’t easy like wiping proper liner with a damp cloth but far easier than scraping dried molasses (treacle) off the shelf.  He loved just pulling the paper out......pretty funny because it’s always been a “Honey, is this necessary” type of thing when we move because it takes time to line all the shelves.  I was low on parchment paper and he went and bought more so we could finish the job “the right way”🤣🥰with parchment paper!

2 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't use contact paper, but I do use the grippy shelf liner stuff in many cabinets and drawers. It's mostly good for keeping drips from things like bottles of oil from seeping into the wood and for keeping drawer bottoms from getting scratched or nicked from utensils.

This is what I used when we moved recently.

• Like 1

I don't care about oil drips or spice powder or anything on my shelves. Maybe I'm too lax. But I would just wipe up any spills when they happen (or when I happen to notice... ) and call it good. Contact paper sounds like a whole lot of work. Plus, there's nothing dirty about shelves really, is there? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mainer said:

I don't care about oil drips or spice powder or anything on my shelves. Maybe I'm too lax. But I would just wipe up any spills when they happen (or when I happen to notice... ) and call it good. Contact paper sounds like a whole lot of work. Plus, there's nothing dirty about shelves really, is there? 

This is easy if your cabinets are smooth on the inside.  Mine are antiquated and the wood on the inside is all rough and grainy.  It's hard to keep a non-smooth surface clean. Also, I'm too short to see the surface of my upper cabinets, so sometimes things go unnoticed for a while.

37 minutes ago, Mainer said:

Obviously “that depends”.  

In a brand new house? Probably not much.  Maybe outgassing formaldehyde, but shelp paper probably won’t help that.

In an older house? Could have been lead or other heavy metals in paint or sealants; cockroach,  ant or mouse poison or droppings; fungus spores ...

I don’t use “contact” paper , but do usually line with something in food, or food touching item storage shelves and drawers. I consider clean up and sanitation as I decide.    I’ve used wax paper, parchment paper, foil, washable fabric, grippy liner, cardboard boxes... depending on circumstances 

I like going up side edges because edges and corners are dirt traps

It’s a lot easier to gather up and wash or throw away a liner than to stand on a step stool trying to clean a shelf IMO

Edited by Pen

I use grippy liner in my drawers to keep things from shifting with movement.  I don't put on the shelves.

I wish I'd used something under the sink, where I've kept the kitchen waste basket for 20 years - moving it in and out of there every couple of days for so long has chewed up the floor of the cabinet.  

26 minutes ago, Pen said:

Obviously “that depends”.  

In a brand new house? Probably not much.  Maybe outgassing formaldehyde, but shelp paper probably won’t help that.

In an older house? Could have been lead or other heavy metals in paint or sealants; cockroach,  ant or mouse poison or droppings; fungus spores ...

Yikes! That would definitely warrant something on the shelves. 

In a brand new house it isn't necessary.  Move into an old one with old rough cabinets, and where no matter how much bleach you use you feel like you can't quite get them clean enough?  Then use something, even if the chemicals in the paper are probably worse than anything in the cabinets.  It doesn't make sense but it makes you feel better.  It may be a placebo effect of home keeping.

I have before, but my cabinets right now are smooth inside, so I'm not currently. Recently, I had the idea to use some leftover laminate flooring from a bathroom to put under the sink- where we have a trash can. My kids are not always great about making sure the trash is IN the trash, especially when it is full and I am loving how much easier this makes it. It looks good too!