Menu

a whine: home maintenance chores

prairiewindmomma

I just ordered 7.5 cubic yards of gravel, which doesn't sound too bad...until you calculate that that's 21,262ish lbs. 

Also on tap for this summer: laying 9 cubic yards of mulch, repairing and staining the deck and fence, and starting the repainting of the interior of this house.

What projects do you have planned for this summer? 

• Like 2

I need to find an electrician to do upgrades in my bathroom, as well as someone to replace the (rotten, broken) bathroom window. I just *loathe* calling and trying to arrange this stuff. But, if I don't take care of it before the end of June, DH will attempt to do it himself and that... can't happen. Nope. 

When those things are finished, I'll need to paint, as well as replace the bathroom floor tile and refinish/replace the vanity. I'm pretty sure I can handle those myself.

Let's not mention the overgrown garden beds...

• Like 1

I have to clean out my basement.  The house was built in 1949 so it’s 70 years old this year.  The floor is cement with cement block walls and two tiny skinny windows.  It is buggy and scary!  And I haven’t cleaned it since I was pregnant with ds14.  Fourteen years of “Where should we put this?”  “I dunno.  Shove it in the basement.”  And, “Should we bother to keep this?  We could fix it...” “I dunno.  Shove it in the basement.”  It’ll be a huge undertaking and I’m not looking forward to the work, but very much looking forward to the finished project.

And we have to paint the kitchen.  Urgh.  Degreasing cabinets, painting cabinets, installing new hardware, painting walls.  

I’d like to get to fixing up the screened in porch in the back of the house, but I think that’s being too ambitious for one summer.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

This is our first summer in this house and it was basically move in ready when we bought it.  But we do have a few projects to deal with outside.  repairing and staining the deck is one.  Our deck is HUGE and it is in the front and back of the house  and surrounds and above ground pool.  It will be quite the undertaking.

Another project for the end of the summer is removing the massive amounts of medium sized landscaping rocks and turning that area back to grass.  The rocks would look nice with a few plants scattered in the pile but the weeds are the worst!  and I'm not dealing with that, so back to grass it is.

We have to organize the whole basement.  When we moved in we didn't have anywhere to store all our tools and off season stuff so we put it in the basement and just need a weekend to find a storage solution and get all that stuff put away.

I think that is it for big things.  All the little things add up to one big project though

Last summer and fall were our big $$$$ projects -- New roof and heating/cooling unit for our sun room, tearing down our front porch columns and railing and replacing them, and having tree work done. We started painting over the winter and need to continue with that. Otherwise, it's mostly just normal stuff--a few new plantings here and there, adding mulch where needed, etc. We also need to do a deep clean on the garage. It doesn't need any de-cluttering, but we do need to move everything out, blow it out really well (get all the accumulated dust and gunk out of the corners) and re-organize.

Over the next year, my plan is to get the house to where we could sell it if we want. So, by next spring, we either sell and move to a new, shiny home or live in a finished, shiny home. 

First up is finishing the baseboard trim in the bedrooms (oldest is gone for the summer, so good time to do it). Next up is installing a new dishwasher (ours has been broken for a couple of months). Going to work all the way down the list. I want to do the garage over the summer since it'll be nigh impossible in the cold of winter. 

• Like 2

• Figure out what we need to do to ensure no more critters can get in our basement.
  • Plant shrubs in front of the house - just paid to have the old ones torn out as they had gotten way way overgrown.
  • Do some landscaping in back of the house which is also getting scary.
  • Tear down the structure that has been sheltering our outdoor jacuzzi for decades.  It is in severe disrepair.
  • Clean the garage, basement, kitchen cabinets, shed, all the bedrooms, closets, ....
  • Come up with a good storage solution for our bikes.
  • We have talked about building an addition to house jacuzzi / exercise room, but I'm not sure about that.
  • I see some trees in the back that look sick, may need to do something about that.
  • The city is supposed to replace our driveway because they tore it out last year.  Hopefully they do it this year.
  • Get someone to fix the problems with our carpets / flooring that were improperly installed.  (The dude we paid to install them is in jail.)
  • Eventually reorganize our laundry room for better use of space.
  • Eventually replace or refinish wood cabinets that have many signs of wear.
  • Maybe agree on some window coverings for the common areas - right now we have only shades.
  • Probably some other things.

The likelihood of all these actually getting done this year is fairly slim ....

Edited by SKL
  • Like 2

• Repainting the entire interior of the house, except my son's room and bathroom.  There's a lot of custom moulding along the ceiling that has to be painted, too. 😞 And all the paneled doors. 😕 
  • New hinges and doorknobs on all the interior doors
  • Install beadboard and new trim on the kitchen island and cabinet ends
  • Find some fancy moulding to add to the columns separating the dining room from the livingroom
  • Install Beadboard in the laundry room
  • New shelving in the laundry room
  • New vanity lighting for son's bathroom

There's a lot that needs to be done outside as well, but I'll be really happy just to get this much done. 

• Like 1

We had the cabinet, countertop and flooring replaced in the upstairs bathroom.  I had hoped the existing paint (which was done 2 years ago) would work but the colors just don't excite me.  So repainting is in order for that room (1 day project it's a small bathroom).  We had 2 people out today to measure for new flooring in the kitchen. living room, hallway and stairs.  Found out there is a spot in the kitchen by the patio door that needs to be cut down and replaced from the subfloor up before we can replace the flooring in there.  I don't know if the carpet for the other areas in the budget but I need to know the colors because I'm repainting the walls in that area after the delivery people for a fridge gauged the wall (it needed repainting anyways but I had been ignoring but the gauge is pretty obvious).  The area is huge with 12 foot cathedral ceilings, area over stairs etc.  I paint it a solid color and then sponge roll another color over it.  It looks awesome and I've had so many compliments over the years the only problem is that it is at least a week long project by the time I do all the taping, painting the base color, retaping and painting the second color.   Then the exterior doors need painting and the wood trim around the small door leaving the garage and all the supports for the front door overhang need scraping and repainting.  

There are many more projects but that's what I'm hoping to accomplish yet this year.  I'm not really enthused about any of it.  If we get to carpet, I know it will mean we move everything and rip up the old because anything else means it will cost more. 

Too many projects to count, but hoping to accomplish the following:

• repair grout, recaulk, and seal 2 bathroom tub surrounds (hiring out this project)
  • total gut and redo of our master bath (hiring out and we really dislike dealing with contractors so very stressful for us)
  • power wash siding, patio, and walkways
  • new front door and storm door
  • paint shutters and trim on the house
  • declutter and organize (mostly my job)
  • outside weeding, mulch, etc (hubby’s job)

We are also starting high school and I want to totally clean, organize, and streamline the school room this summer so we have a fresh start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissLemon said:
  • Repainting the entire interior of the house, except my son's room and bathroom.  There's a lot of custom moulding along the ceiling that has to be painted, too. 😞 And all the paneled doors. 😕 
  • New hinges and doorknobs on all the interior doors
  • Install beadboard and new trim on the kitchen island and cabinet ends
  • Find some fancy moulding to add to the columns separating the dining room from the livingroom
  • Install Beadboard in the laundry room
  • New shelving in the laundry room
  • New vanity lighting for son's bathroom

There's a lot that needs to be done outside as well, but I'll be really happy just to get this much done. 

Lowe’s has a rebate for paint right now. $15 per gallon of paint through Memorial Day. 

• Like 3

We just officially moved in Monday and our furniture isn't even here yet, but I already dealt with a flood. It took me all day yesterday to figure out where it came from (the water heater). Luckily, the damage isn't too bad and I was able to clean it up. The carpet that got wet needs to be replaced anyways. I even fixed the water heater all on my own (dh isn't here yet) thanks to YouTube. And Friday I need to get an irrigation leak fixed so we can fill our pool, which needs to be filled because it has a leak somehow that needs to be fixed. And then I need to open the pool. And that just the next 2 weeks. Plus mowing and unpacking. After that a thousand other projects.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed atm. 

Edited by MeaganS
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What projects do I have planned, or what projects am I SUPPOSED TO BE planning? 😕 

I’m supposed to be getting ready for a DIY wood countertop and a whole house (interior) painting. I also want to add bead board ceilings to cover our textured junk.

The front deck needs staining (pretty much every year) and the back deck needs replacing.  The balcony needs more than staining, but not necessarily replacement, so... I don’t know.

My shed needs a full organizing makeover. My first set of shelving was delivered yesterday, but I have to pull things out to put the shelves together and I don’t know if/when the weather will cooperate with my schedule.

I desperately need a ton (figurative, I’m not sure on real weight) of stone, but I’m so worried about the logistics (mainly, parking) while dealing with it.

There are a ton of other projects that are needed, but I’m having a hard enough time attempting to figure out when to tackle these!

• Like 1

• putting up a privacy fence (still waiting on a quote)
  • fixing and enlarging a small almost unusable deck
  • continue to try and reclaim the backyard-  it's still a tangled messy place and I have the poison ivy to prove it 😞 
  • continue to spread out the very large mound of wood chips from a tree we had taken down (it's as big as a small car!).
  • paint, paint paint. (MB, kitchen, family room, sunroom)
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

What projects do I have planned, or what projects am I SUPPOSED TO BE planning? 😕 

I’m supposed to be getting ready for a DIY wood countertop and a whole house (interior) painting. I also want to add bead board ceilings to cover our textured junk.

The front deck needs staining (pretty much every year) and the back deck needs replacing.  The balcony needs more than staining, but not necessarily replacement, so... I don’t know.

My shed needs a full organizing makeover. My first set of shelving was delivered yesterday, but I have to pull things out to put the shelves together and I don’t know if/when the weather will cooperate with my schedule.

I desperately need a ton (figurative, I’m not sure on real weight) of stone, but I’m so worried about the logistics (mainly, parking) while dealing with it.

There are a ton of other projects that are needed, but I’m having a hard enough time attempting to figure out when to tackle these!

Darn - you just reminded me of another project we should be doing.  Ours has not been properly organized since we moved in 18months ago.  And it was a mess from the previous owner already.  I keep telling DH we should take advantage of the mild days/evenings and get this started.  

19 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

Darn - you just reminded me of another project we should be doing.  Ours has not been properly organized since we moved in 18months ago.  And it was a mess from the previous owner already.  I keep telling DH we should take advantage of the mild days/evenings and get this started.  

It really is a pain to think about, isn’t it?
FB reminded me today that we were building this shed exactly 4 years ago. It looks like it’s been used for a lifetime!  I have a great vision fo it, but oy! It’s gonna be a giant pain!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Expensive ones.😩😩😩😩😩😩

We moves into a 25 year old house at Christmastime and it is actually very well maintained and kept up, but there are some things..... 

1) Carpeting.... we just had all the carpeting (which we are pretty sure was original) replaced this week. We had planned on that when we bought the house, so rolled that into the loan, etc., but was still hard to stomach. I am an extremely insecure decorator and while I like the carpet, it’s darker than what was here (what was here was very light) and so I’m feeling very insecure about it.

2) Exterior painting.... it’s a stucco exterior and needs to be re-dashed. Lots and lots of cracks from settling. I need to get on that this week.

3) Solar is underway.

4) Lots and lots of yard work. Poor DH, the lawns are all a mess of weeds, several different types of grasses.

We had 5+ cubic yards of gravel delivered for a drainage project for a friend about a month ago. In some ways, it was not much but in others it was huge. We used it all & now our friend only has occasional patches of dampness instead of a waterfall in her basement. (We had almost 4" of rain last night & she has one wet spot and one small muddy patch. So, the French drains work!)

We have some mulching to do outside but our biggest projects are inside.

Dd#1 goes to college in the fall & will be out of town some this summer. She is supposed to pack up her stuff so we can move her out of her bedroom, patch/fix/repaint, move her brothers in, then do the same with their current bedroom. Their current room will become the guest room for FIL (so he doesn't have to do the stairs) and her room when she's home from college.

I'm not sure how much we'll get done while she's out of town, but we'll finish up after she leaves this fall.

I'd love to replace the doors that have holes & get things painted so there is less to do if we decide to move.

I re-organized the kitchen this afternoon after the gravel was delivered. I put my baking dishes which I use less on lower shelves and moved the food I access often into the cabinets. This should improve the workflow quite a bit.

I bought three gallons of paint (yay, holiday weekend paint rebates!) and my toilet paper holder arrived via amazon. I got one of those rotating ones rather than a spring loaded one. The previous owners had literally attached the old toilet paper holder with a putty caulk, which failed. 🙄 I also picked up a shelf for the bathroom. I would love to completely renovate our master bathroom, but it’s not in our budget right now. We are still recovering from last year’s major repairs.

• Like 1

Update! So my water heater repair is holding strong. I'm pretty proud of myself for that. The irrigation issue was fairly simple and the plumbers fixed it in under an hour. Right now I'm filling the pool and am about to do a whole house cleaning in anticipation of the movers coming tomorrow. We've basically been camping in the house on and off for the last few months as we came to work on it, so it needs to be straightened up, vacuumed, and mopped.

I mostly finished the "family" closet I'm building into our large laundry room. All the girls will keep their clothes in there. I put lots of cubby shelves, painted, and made a place for them to hang clothes. I think it's going to be cute and work well, but we'll see once all their clothes are here. 

And we have a family of groundhogs living under the deck on our pool patio. So that needs to be figured out. 

• Like 2