Menu

Where do you buy your dog's flea and tick meds?

mommyoffive

Online may be cheaper, but may also be spoofed copy with no proper ingredients or stolen product and lack quality control 

It’s cheaper at the animal control clinic in our area than from regular vet, with basically a walk in system for vaccinations and parasite meds, then they’ll sell more flea etc stuff for a year after a visit .  

Edited by Pen

We don't have a dog anymore but fleas are a year round problem in Florida. OTC meds rarely worked (though some vet prescribed meds are now available OTC). We always got ours from the vet and we get our cat's flea meds there too. The cats are both indoor cats so they don't need protection as often as our dog did but we still apply it three or four times a year (as opposed to almost monthly for the dog).

We have been getting them from the vet.  The dose is based on weight and our puppy is still growing so we needed to get an accurate weight/dose.  Now that he is getting close to his grown weight, they told me we can order at an online store and they will approve it.  It would still be a prescription medication through our vet but would be cheaper and save me a trip to the vet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

We're talking Frontline or something similar, right? I haven't needed to upgrade to whatever the newest flea/tick stuff is. I just use Frontline. It works well for my dogs. I buy from either Amazon or Costco. My dogs' weight hasn't changed in years.

Is that cheaper than the vet? 

Yeah, I think we have Soresto .  (the collar)

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Is that cheaper than the vet? 

Yeah, I think we have Soresto .  (the collar)

The vets here locally seem to have upgraded to something else they say works better but costs a lot more. Frontline Plus works well for us and doesn't cause the dogs problems. We have 2 63 lb dogs and pay about $75 for 2 packages of 3 applications each every 3 months (I think. It's been a little while since I've needed to purchase it.)

GRRR 

This always happens to me when I buy something.  I find it cheaper some place else.  I just bought it online at Chewy.com last night and then found out Costco sells them and they are a lot cheaper. 

I am posting in case it helps someone. 

We have done the Soresto Collar

From the vet it was $80

Chewy.com 57.99

Costco.com 45.99

We have used and love the Seresto Collar- it’s 8 months ( we are in Texas so I do 6 months just to be safe) and they are $60 each from Walmart or Tractor Supply. 

My daughter volunteers at a vet (4H) and so we use Nexguard now (what they recommend) and we get it through them. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...