Menu

Boys and pierced ears

DawnM

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

I do not consider piercings for men "clean cut"

more than one piercing for women in their ears

piercings in places other than ear lobes.

- and there are occupations out there it is a drawback when you go in for a job interview.

tell him he can do what he wants when he moves out and pays all his own bills.

eta: just a thought.  does he want them pierced because he wants pierced ears -or he wants to push your dh's buttons?  have a nephew who grew his hair long and dyed it bright colors.  I asked him if it bugged his mom.  his smile lit up his face as he said "yeah".

I'm a middle-aged mom who is a very well-groomed, neat and tidy and somewhat conservative hygiene freak and I have two holes in one of my earlobes.🙂  I've never thought of it as being out of the ordinary in any way. I wear a little diamond in the upper hole.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SKL said:

I would not.  It is a permanent change that he may regret later.  I would not care if he did it himself after age 18.

A permanent change???

I wish.

My ears were pierced as a teenager, and I wore earrings almost every day for about three decades. And then I stopped and the holes closed up quickly. I used to be able to feel little bumps (scar tissue?) where the holes were, but now even that's gone. Now I kinda wish I had them back, but not quite enough to have it done again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

A permanent change???

I wish.

My ears were pierced as a teenager, and I wore earrings almost every day for about three decades. And then I stopped and the holes closed up quickly. I used to be able to feel little bumps (scar tissue?) where the holes were, but now even that's gone. Now I kinda wish I had them back, but not quite enough to have it done again.

My experience is different.  I got pierced for my 12th birthday.  I stopped wearing earrings within a few years after that.  My holes closed up, but you can still see them very clearly.  (I am 52.)  Being female, at least it is conventional for me to have holes in my earlobes, albeit empty ones.  But yes, it is permanent.

Edited by SKL

I would have zero care about it. But, my 6 yr old son currently is rocking blue nail polish, and I grew up lusting over guys in makeup in the 80's hair bands, so what do I know, lol. 

Seriously, whatever. So wouldn't care. 

A nose ring, that I'd have a bit more to say on if he was actively looking for a job or had a job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

Around here I think it peaked in popularity two or three years ago. I rarely see them now.

I've known two which I felt really worked, and both had them well before the fad.  One was a magician - as in, he actually worse a purple robe with starts and moons for his act - and the other is a sort of Viking-scholar.  

Now he trendy hairstyle for that group that had the man-bun is super short sides with a floppy top.

my most common encounter was a pharm tech at Costco with a man bun.  he was young, with an incredible memory.

my son's have always had short haircuts.  they play with their beards.  right now, 1ds is clean shaven because he prefers it, and 2ds has a beard because he doesn't have to shave. (he shaves his throat because he doesn't like the hair rubbing against his shirt.)

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

At least a hairstyle can change pretty easily.  

short ones can.

I'm still never happy with a short haircut, and console myself with how fast it will grow long enough to try again.

The two men who brought me around to liking man buns were seminary students I went to church with.  Pretty conservative church, fwiw.  They had the overall look that went with it, and they were great young men - godly, smart, thoughtful, good role models.  I was a little sad when one of them cut his hair into a more conventional style.  Not that it was any of my business!   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Interesting. DH worked on the fire dept. and it was a non-issue. He just couldn't wear an earring while on the job. But: neither male nor female are allowed to wear any jewelry while on the job, so as to not sustain burn injury while fighting a fire and the jewelry heats up on them (metal) or melts on them (plastic). That meant leaving his wedding ring at home for every shift as well.

Many jobs require just covering tattoos or filling gauges with a solid colored plug, so there can be work-arounds for even more dramatic "body flair". Quite honestly, if it is standard piercing holes, you can remove your earrings and the holes are virtually invisible. 😉

It surprised me.  I wouldn’t have expected that.  But yeah, no visible tattoos and even covered tattoos there’s rules about them being non offensive (I guess that makes sense - you don’t want a police officer with Tattoos that relate to a gang or something. 

58 minutes ago, marbel said:

The two men who brought me around to liking man buns were seminary students I went to church with.  Pretty conservative church, fwiw.  They had the overall look that went with it, and they were great young men - godly, smart, thoughtful, good role models.  I was a little sad when one of them cut his hair into a more conventional style.  Not that it was any of my business!   

I think some people look better in them than others do.  And I think it depends on how they wear them, at least for me.

• Like 1

As someone who doesn't really keep up with trends--which is more popular now, double piercings or single piercing on guys? I'm just curious. 

Also, this is a bit off-topic, but today I learned there are white ink tattoos: https://www.boredpanda.com/white-ink-tattoo-ideas/?cexp_id=16780&cexp_var=1&_f=featured This is something I haven't really seen in my area. 

4 hours ago, Bluegoat said:

Around here I think it peaked in popularity two or three years ago. I rarely see them now.

I've known two which I felt really worked, and both had them well before the fad.  One was a magician - as in, he actually worse a purple robe with starts and moons for his act - and the other is a sort of Viking-scholar.  

Now he trendy hairstyle for that group that had the man-bun is super short sides with a floppy top.

This was what I wanted him to do from the start. I think it’s very attractive. The bun just reads a little girly to me. But as I have said, I have gotten used to it now. 

Funnily enough, ds is supposedly getting a hair cut today, though he didn’t mention going for a style changeup. 

Adding a photo so you can all see how handsome he is! 

48BA82FA-CA44-465A-9B29-2B2865DAE0B6.jpeg

Edited by Quill
  • Like 7

I would let a teen son pierce his ears, sure. And I wouldn't think twice about his future career - it's not a problem in most places, and where it is? Simply don't wear earrings to work. 

Practically speaking, earrings are one of the easiest things to do yourself and also one of the easiest things to hide (long hair helps, of course, but most people don't notice empty holes). I know several people who were forbidden to have pierced ears but had them anyway, including my dh. I don't know anyone who's ever been caught with their underground piercing. 

My oldest has single pierced ears and that will probably be it because she hates needles and they get irritated or infected often. 

My youngest also has a single cartilage piercing. I could definitely see her wanting more, but her sense of style will be at war with her cheapness, lol. 

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I would have zero care about it. But, my 6 yr old son currently is rocking blue nail polish, and I grew up lusting over guys in makeup in the 80's hair bands, so what do I know, lol. 

Seriously, whatever. So wouldn't care. 

A nose ring, that I'd have a bit more to say on if he was actively looking for a job or had a job. 

My dd14 wants a nose ring, and I've discouraged it because they seem to get infected more often, and I've seen some nasty scars from that.  

17 hours ago, MercyA said:

As someone who doesn't really keep up with trends--which is more popular now, double piercings or single piercing on guys? I'm just curious. 

Also, this is a bit off-topic, but today I learned there are white ink tattoos: https://www.boredpanda.com/white-ink-tattoo-ideas/?cexp_id=16780&cexp_var=1&_f=featured This is something I haven't really seen in my area. 

I've heard of the white ones, but haven't actually seen any in person yet.  I kind of prefer the white over the black, I think!

• Like 1

I don't associate absence of earrings on males with clean cut.  I associate hair, clothing, and absence of visible tattoos with with clean cut.  I guess I do associate gauges (plugs in the ear lobe) with not being clean cut, but I don't think that's what the OP means. Clean cut is one of many styles and I'm not quick to veto styles unless boobs, bellies, and/or butts are exposed.

I let my girls decide when they got their ears pierced, so I don't think I would've made a different rule if I'd had boys.  If it doesn't work out or his future employer won't allow it, he can easily remove the earring during work.  If he ends up not liking it he can just take the earring out and it will probably close up.  It's not permanent like a nose job. Even if it doesn't close, the hole is so small it won't be visible to anyone.

Maybe this should be a spin off, but was does “clean cut” mean to you?  Or what would you picture if given that description by an author?

I get an image of a man, short hair, clean shaven,  no jewelry at all other than perhaps a wedding ring or watch, and those would be fairly plain in style, clothes lacking in distinctive ornamentation or flashy style.  

• Like 1

I can’t imagine my DS wanting an earring. His hair has always been cut short, and the only jewelry he has ever worn is a leather bracelet. I don’t particularly care if men wear earrings; however, if my son got one, it would be completely out of character for him.  

Edited by Heathermomster

On 3/19/2019 at 2:54 AM, DawnM said:

Pretty sure he thinks we are the Cleaver family.......in his HEAD! 😂 . Funny since our oldest has hair down past his shoulders and has for about 10 years now (he is 21.)    

I just dont' think long hair or earrings is that big of a deal.  I have already told them no tattoos until after age 18, and only with their own money.  So far, they all say they don't want them, but, you never know.

I had several male friends get pierced ears while in school so they could have the experience and then get rid of them if they thought they needed to before career job search stages.  I agree with the no tattoos until adult and if they do it themselves.  But to me simple ear piercing is perhaps not guaranteed reversible, but IME, usually is, or mark left is pretty unobtrusive.  To me it’s not much different as a style experiment than long hair.  Long hair too could sometimes have a problem such as when a (female) friend of mine got hers caught in an engine causing bad injuries...  but I think most ear piercings don’t get infected or ripped etc.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pen said:

Maybe this should be a spin off, but was does “clean cut” mean to you?  Or what would you picture if given that description by an author?

I get an image of a man, short hair, clean shaven,  no jewelry at all other than perhaps a wedding ring or watch, and those would be fairly plain in style, clothes lacking in distinctive ornamentation or flashy style.  

Exactly what you have describes, although maybe a collared shirt, nicely pressed clothing, maybe Khakis, or even a suit.

Webster's online dictionary adds, "of wholesome character."  

• 3 years later...

It's become so common nowadays, I think I'd be OK with it once I was pretty sure it wasn't a passing phase for him.  I like the idea of giving him magnetic earrings to try out the look before going for it.

I let my eldest daughter get a "helix" piercing (the upper ear cartilage) for her 16th birthday.  That was fine, but then she decided it wasn't enough to have her earlobes and 1 helix, so she did a bunch of additional piercings up both ears by herself.  I don't mind a small amount of pierced jewelry, but I don't want her to do the whole metal face thing.  I don't know how one prevents a kid from feeling the need to go overboard.

My other 16yo said she wanted a septum ring.  Nope.  They'll be 18 soon enough.