Menu

Rotating Mom-Instructional Time

I only have two that I currently have to do this with, but when one is working on math, the other is doing reading or piano practice or Latin (all independent or mostly so). 

Some days I have them do math at the same time and I just switch back and forth, but that ends up being more distracting most of the time.

My third kiddo needs my complete attention while I work with him on anything, but his overall amount of work is less, so I try to do that after the girls are completely finished.

Edited by purpleowl
Clarity
  • Like 1

Ages of children will make a big difference in this situation. I have always rotated my boys because of dyslexia and executive function issues. Both have needed my active teaching time individually for a much longer period of time than would be expected for neurotypical children. When they were younger, I would typically have the one child listen to an audiobook or just play & create in their room while working with the other. Now that they are older, I work with my youngest while my oldest is in an online class and then my youngest does his independent reading while I work with my oldest.

• Like 1

When my kids were younger I was very fortunate that my oldest was very independent in doing things, so I could focus on my younger two.  We did a lot of combined subjects (History, Bible, Science, etc.) while they were in elementary so the only thing that was individual was their math until they reached middle school when they would also do individual science.  I would often just give one boy free time while I worked with the other one.

Now they are older and my oldest in is college, I have my routine set up so they do independent work while I work with one and then switch.  My middle has dylexia so I end up doing a lot of the reading with/for him on a number of subjects because it is too much for him to do on his own.  My youngest still needs a lot of hands on to stay on task.  It ends up being switching back and forth and they get some free time if they finish whatever task I set them or need help to move on.  But for me math is one that is mostly their thing with me helping when they need it.  I use Teaching Textbooks (I know it is not popular here) because that is one thing that they can do more on their own with bringing me questions when they need help.

Anyway, I rotate them through subjects and my boys get more free time which they like but my day is longer than I like, but things are getting done and it is working for us right now.

I stagger their schedules so that no one works on math at the same time. I also work piano practice into the mix. So with my 3 boys, I will be working on math with boy A while boy B sits on the other side of me working independently (handwriting practice or journal) and boy C practices piano. Then they rotate.

This only works, because they enjoy practicing piano and don't need my help. Otherwise I could send the third boy to read a book in the other room or to practice typing at the computer - anything that would be worthwhile and completely independent. 

The way I did it when my two youngest needed this was:

1. Child1 met with me to go over new lesson and lesson practice. Child2 finished breakfast/ chores and/or started independent reading time. He wasn't allowed to interrupt  

2. Child1 worked on mixed practice at the table while I did the lesson with child2  she wasn't allowed to interrupt   If she didn't understand something, she skipped it and went on.  Sometimes I would check in with her while ds did a fact still or something, other times she waite.  When I finished the lesson with Child2, he stayed at the table with child1 and they did their lesson. I stayed at the table with them--although I sometimes also cleaned the kitchen  

When I am working with one, the others are doing anything that doesn't interrupt us. That covers everything from reading to coloring, building, playing games, chores, and more. We don't have a strict schedule around here though. I just call a kid to the table and the other continue on with life until it's their turn.

• Like 1

Right now, I usually start with the youngest--as he needs more instruction before he can get going.

With the older two, almost always they can start on their math by themselves...or I can put on a Khan Academy or Cool Math Guy video to help.

For times that doesn't work, I'll have the youngest work on mastering facts either with flash cards or an online program.

I do wish I could split myself in three.  

Things that they could possibly work on alone... free reading and then narrate back to you, handwriting, some sort of game/puzzle, an app/computer program, etc.

Edited by umsami

These are some of the things my kids do while I do math with one of their siblings:

* handwriting or typing practice
* spelling (if they do a workbook)
* grammar exercises (I go over the lesson before doing math with anyone)
* chores
* read the history encyclopedia for that day's lesson
* read a fiction book to himself
* Math "warm-up" (a rotation of problems to keep skills fresh on things like time, money, etc)
* math fact practice
* any other workbook/worksheet type work they have
* read to a younger sibling

My kids have independent work (handwriting/grammar/written summaries/reading - science, history and/or fiction) written into their planners. Typically they would be working through that while I am working 1-1 with another kid.

Something else that has worked for us is getting up early to work without interruptions. My oldest got up at 5:30 for many years so we could work on math together. If you are a family of night owls, maybe something similar could work in the evening.

What everyone else said.  ?  

I have an 11th grade and an 8th grader.  I still have to rotate time between the two of them.  Every night before school, I write up a little chart for myself (on Excel, so it's easy to tweak) and figure out when I can be working with DS16 while DS13 is doing something else, and vice versa.

DS16 can be left alone for a number of subjects, but DS13 needs to work with me on almost everything--at least initially.  I can send him off to do a few math problems alone, or to work on composing a piece of writing. 

When I need to work with DS16, I have DS13 reading his book (he is required to read for 45 minutes at a time), and practice the piano (30 minutes.)  I also start DS16's day an hour before DS13 starts his day, so I get an extra hour with DS16 in then before DS13 has finished showering and eating breakfast.  DS16 starts an hour earlier and often ends school an hour later, so I can always work with DS16 at the very end of the day if he needs my attention.

ETA:  This is pretty easy with just two.  Kudos to those juggling many students!  

Edited by Garga

I do most of the twins work with them in the morning. One sitting on either side of me. They have to have me sitting right there beside them the whole time. Then in the afternoon I assist ds 15 because of his profound dyslexia I need to be with him for just about  all subjects. Ds 15 likes this arrangement and sleeps in. 

When I am working with ds15 the twins play a bit, do reading eggs,  play LEGO or some sort of activity. I slip in their  ( brief )science of history while ds15 is reading.

I’ve done different stuff at different times.  It is tricky.  Sometimes I’ve had one kid doing math while the others did language arts as they required minimal help with that.  Currently I have them all doing math together but I’ve added in more mental math and online math practice.  When they need explicit teaching and I’m tied up with another kid they do some of the drill or practice at a lower level while waiting.  Obviously this depends on the kids but mine need a bit more practice to develop speed and accuracy.

Same as the others for rotation... Other ideas of what to do while they are not with you. 

computer math games - great for fact practice, chores, listen to a book online, read a book, do art, walk the dog, do an exercise video, practice piano, complete a sticker book or activity book, build something specific with legos or blocks or complete a project (I hestitated to let mine play too much during school time since it was so hard to get them to stop), do a math review worksheet, make a snack....