Menu

American Girl historical doll

Janeway

Apparently, my mom had a journal where she wrote that she planned to purchase an American Girl historical doll for all her granddaughters. Two out of the three dolls bought for the other granddaughters are not made anymore. I figured unless daughter were really in to one of them, we should avoid buying the same as one of them, even though all the other granddaughters are adults now. The others have Mollie, Kit, and Kirsten. I am hoping to make a trip to an American Girl store soon. But my sister needs to know soon as she is trying to wrap up the estate stuff.  So far though, when I show pictures to my daughter and try to explain the stories, she does not seem to have a big opinion. I have shown her the videos, not all of them, but the ones I have found for free on NetFlix and ones I own and so far, the only one she is interested in is McKenna, which is not a historical doll. 

Any suggestions to which doll to get? I am thinking of Mary Ellen as she was born in 1954 and my mom was born in 1945.

Also, what age are these dolls good for? My daughter seems a bit uninterested so whatever doll is bought will more likely get put up for a while. She is 6 yrs old. She is still in to baby dolls and does not take good care of what she does have. She has 18 inch dolls, but has damaged everything she has. This is basically going to be her final present from her grandma.

Edited by Janeway

I don't see any reason not to buy a historical doll already given to one of the adult granddaughters.  The goal is let her have something special that Grandma wanted her to have, but that only works if SHE thinks it's special.  She's not going to care that it's a duplicate.  For that matter, is it really essential that the doll be a historical one?  If your dd had expressed to Grandma that she didn't like the historical ones, but she liked McKenna, wouldn't your mom have purchased McKenna for her instead?  Just some thoughts....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, klmama said:

I don't see any reason not to buy a historical doll already given to one of the adult granddaughters.  The goal is let her have something special that Grandma wanted her to have, but that only works if SHE thinks it's special.  She's not going to care that it's a duplicate.  For that matter, is it really essential that the doll be a historical one?  If your dd had expressed to Grandma that she didn't like the historical ones, but she liked McKenna, wouldn't your mom have purchased McKenna for her instead?  Just some thoughts....

McKenna is not available anymore otherwise I would go for that in a heart beat.

I think Mary Ellen is a good choice.  Mary Ellen's story is in 1954 when she turns 10, so she was born in 1944 -- really close to your Mom's year.

ETA:  They are recommended for 8 and up.  I would get the doll and store it for a while.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

Apparently, my mom had a journal where she wrote that she planned to purchase an American Girl historical doll for all her granddaughters. Two out of the three dolls bought for the other granddaughters are not made anymore. I figured unless daughter were really in to one of them, we should avoid buying the same as one of them, even though all the other granddaughters are adults now. The others have Mollie, Kit, and Kirsten. I am hoping to make a trip to an American Girl store soon. But my sister needs to know soon as she is trying to wrap up the estate stuff.  So far though, when I show pictures to my daughter and try to explain the stories, she does not seem to have a big opinion. I have shown her the videos, not all of them, but the ones I have found for free on NetFlix and ones I own and so far, the only one she is interested in is McKenna, which is not a historical doll. 

Any suggestions to which doll to get? I am thinking of Mary Ellen as she was born in 1954 and my mom was born in 1945.

Also, what age are these dolls good for? My daughter seems a bit uninterested so whatever doll is bought will more likely get put up for a while. She is 6 yrs old. She is still in to baby dolls and does not take good care of what she does have. She has 18 inch dolls, but has damaged everything she has. This is basically going to be her final present from her grandma.

Actually, Maryellen was 8 or 9 years old in 1954 and thus born at 1945. My mom was born in 1945 and that is why I got Maryellen -- the items she is wearing, etc are things my mom remembers.

McKenna was Doll of the Year many years ago and is no longer currently available in the stores.

Edited by vonfirmath

30 minutes ago, happypamama said:

I would save the money for a few years and see if she connects with any of the dolls a little more. I’d say around 8 is a good time for them. 

If you really want to buy now, getting Maryellen since she is from Grandma’s time period sounds like a great plan!

I am not being given the money. The offer was for the doll to be bought for her and given to her. I think I will suggest Mary Ellen or one of the Today girl dolls. I picked one that has straighter shorter hair so she is easier to take care of.

Edited: just spoke to them. It can only be a historical doll. So I told her Mary Ellen.

edited again: I feel awful that this doll costs so much. I know my daughter does not keep good care of stuff. I was told it will be given to her right away, as in, for her birthday. The person working her estate wants to give it to her before she leaves town. I think once my daughter is given it, she will be given a good strong talking to about how to care for things.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

When your Dd is grown, she will have better memories from playing with (and maybe wearing out) the doll than she will have from looking at a doll sitting on a shelf. AG has a doll hospital so you could let her play with the doll and then have it refurbished once she has outgrown it. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, unsinkable said:

The point of a toy is to play with it. 

Give her the doll. Let her play with it. 

Does no one read the Velveteen Rabbit anymore!?

6 minutes ago, Annie G said:

When your Dd is grown, she will have better memories from playing with (and maybe wearing out) the doll than she will have from looking at a doll sitting on a shelf. AG has a doll hospital so you could let her play with the doll and then have it refurbished once she has outgrown it. 

Another vote to let her play with it! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, unsinkable said:

The point of a toy is to play with it. 

Give her the doll. Let her play with it. 

Does no one read the Velveteen Rabbit anymore!?

My comment about putting the doll on the shelf was in response to her saying her DD hasn't really seemed interested. Some day she will be, and then she should of course play with it! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

My comment about putting the doll on the shelf was in response to her saying her DD hasn't really seemed interested. Some day she will be, and then she should of course play with it! 

Your advice was really good - let the doll be on display until op’s Dd is old enough to play with it. I just thought op’s comment about feeling so bad about the price of the doll and her dd’s tendency to not take care of things might lead to that doll never being played with out of fear that it will be damaged.

• Like 1

We play with our dolls.  And they have stands, too. So you could do both.  

But, here, mostly they are for play, and their hair gets redone or messy, and they are sometimes forgotten in various places, and then found and put to bed, or in their house, messy hair and all.  I figure we will eventually call the doll hospital, once the heavy play is over.  But right now we are making some great memories with our dolls.  DD got her first one at 4, and they are beloved friends.

Mary Ellen is a great choice, by the way.  There’s a super cute Christmas cookie making set to go with her, and Target sells some great 50s accessories.  

Hmmmm.  I am probably heavily influenced by the Velveteen Rabbit though, and we always talk about our toys coming to life when they are heavily loved.  ?

But with AG, there’s always the doll hospital and spa option, so you can sort of have the best of both worlds.

• Like 2

I vote put the doll on a shelf until your daughter is interested, and then give it to her to play with (even if she is still really rough on things).  Those dolls are really pretty tough.  My oldest sister and I were quite hard on things, and our dolls survived to be handed down to my daughters (though I did have the head of my sister's doll replaced because she was half bald).  They went out the second story window more than once in my childhood.

I love that Mary Ellen was born around your mom's birthday - so sweet!! ♥ I would vote to make a huge fuss over the doll when your dd gets it, oooohing and ahhhhing that this is a big-girl's doll and a very special last gift from Grandma. Buy a stand and set her up. Tell dd she can play with it and when the doll isn't being playing with, we'll put her back into her stand on a shelf to keep her safe.

I haven't been to the American Girl website in years... didn't even know Mary Ellen was a new doll. I miss those days sooooooo much!!!!! ♥

• Like 3